test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Foundry/ Fleet Mark Reward Changes

Comments

• thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    KDF players can't even get content that was designed within the last 6 months.

''The Romulan Robes are not yet available for KDF characters.'

How is that possible? They created the robes for Feds but didn't bother for KDF?

Whats wrong with this picture. Can you say slap in the face?
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Correlation is not causation.

Agreed, but your logical fallacy is that because there isn't necessarily a causative relationship, therefore there is no causative relationship.
    Schrodingers cat is still in the box. To argue, as you're doing, that we can not blame those foundry authors who have lobbied for this exact change because it isn't proved their efforts lead to the result is merely a mirror image version of the argument you're trying to shoot down.
    Is it right that these authors get blamed? Uncertain.
    Will they be blamed? I think they will.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    How's this for some ideas to improve the game and "bring back the fun"....

Why not remove the "farming" bases (Fleet and Embassy) and replace then with playable factions?

Playable Romulans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Remans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Ferengi with ships, weapons, story lines, and let tehm be the traders/Pirates of the game.

Playable Cardassians

Playable Borg (now who would not like flying a Tac Cube!!!!)

Playable Jem'Hadar

Playable Breen

Playable Undine

And for an exciting thing to do.... let the players defend their space against other factions trying to fly through it.

All of the ships, weapons, systems, etc. already exist so just the mechanics need to be developed.

But what a game it could be!!!!! Much better than grinding on the "farm".

PWE/Cryptic stop the farm system and bring back the fun!

Zeus

This will never happen. The time and manpower to properly develop each faction would be tremendous. We are talking at least a year of development for each faction (unless you want cookie cutter) and thousands of hours from the devs. This is completely unreasonable.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    What's easier? A full KDF faction, or tweaking some things in a reward?

Why again is it so hard to believe that they listen to Foundry authors sometimes but not the KDF?

Cryptic I want you to add another lock box after the Dominion lock box.

There blame me now for more lockboxes
    GwaoHAD.png
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it wasn't for those complaining Foundry authors that make 4 hour long missions. They would have not taken this mission away from us. They complained and Cryptic caved. I for one am not spending one more dime on this game til they revert the changes they have made.
    How's this for some ideas to improve the game and "bring back the fun"....

Why not remove the "farming" bases (Fleet and Embassy) and replace then with playable factions?

Playable Romulans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Remans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Ferengi with ships, weapons, story lines, and let tehm be the traders/Pirates of the game.

Playable Cardassians

Playable Borg (now who would not like flying a Tac Cube!!!!)

Playable Jem'Hadar

Playable Breen

Playable Undine

And for an exciting thing to do.... let the players defend their space against other factions trying to fly through it.

All of the ships, weapons, systems, etc. already exist so just the mechanics need to be developed.

But what a game it could be!!!!! Much better than grinding on the "farm".

PWE/Cryptic stop the farm system and bring back the fun!

Zeus

Oh just a small incentive for PWE/Cryptic to do the above....

Just think of all the Zen the players would spend on the ships, weapons, costumes, etc.

Much more than your current "farming" bases game!

PWE/Cryptic Stop the farming grind, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fine, I'm not going to convince you. Keep blaming Foundry authors for causing this action and believing that you can make Cryptic do what you want them to if you just shout long and loud enough. Because that's worked out so well for the Klingons.

What have you done, NeoAkira? What have you done?!
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Considering how much money they've made from lockboxes, no one has to ask.

Next strawman, please...
    Fine, I'm not going to convince you. Keep blaming Foundry authors for causing this action and believing that you can make Cryptic do what you want them to if you just shout long and loud enough. Because that's worked out so well for the Klingons.

You actually think it is within Cryptic's current abilities to deliver a full faction? And you think our ideas are funny...
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Next strawman, please...
    That was the entire point of what he said.....

No one had to ask Cryptic to make these changes. You're blaming someone for something outside their control.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2013

Let me explain it to you....

If you are selling a service, and this is a service, and you don't listen to your customers complaining, then you will not be selling your service to very many people for long!

Not hard to understand....

PWE/Cryptic Stop the farming grinding game system, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Let me explain it to you....

If you are selling a service, and this is a service, and you don't listen to your customers complaining, then you will not be selling your service to very many people for long!

Not hard to understand....

PWE/Cryptic Stop the farming grinding game system, bring back the fun!

Zeus
    The counterpoint to this is that you can't enact policy decisions for the service based only on those who complain loudest. that's just not the way business works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That was the entire point of what he said.....

No one had to ask Cryptic to make these changes. You're blaming someone for something outside their control.

And yet people asked for these Foundry changes, and the relevant threads have been linked to.

No one is making this stuff up, the evidence is there if you choose to read it. And the links are in this (very long) thread.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
    edited February 2013
    Zeus:

They don't have to listen to you, or me, or anyone. For each of us reading and posting in this thread, there are ten (or more) suckers lining up to throw money at them for the privilege of grinding. That is the PWE business model. It works pretty well, don't you think?

Agamemnon:

Doesn't matter if they can or not. Fact has no place in this argument. By your alleged logic, considering what a handful of players were supposedly able to make Cryptic do, those calling for a full Klingon faction should have gotten one back when this game was still run by Atari. They would have found a way.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    It is a very small minority of foundry authors, but what cryptic has done is precisely what they were asking for.

It happened more like this:

1. There was little incentive for players to play our missions
    2. We asked that players get rewards for playing our story missions.
    3. There was a ton of debate, but general consensus was that ONLY a timer-based rewards system that scaled could avoid exploits. That was the type of system that NW devs were developing.
    4. Cryptic delivered the 15 minute minimum reqs. (which was not a system that anyone wanted as I recall). Some of us were optimistic and short-sighted about it (like me). Other knew right away that it was going to turn the Foundry lists into a massive list of short grinders that bury story missions.
    5. Now, finally, they are giving us what we originally asked for: a scaling reward system.

I don't remember anyone asking for FMs to be taken out, except once (myself) when I was disgusted by the lists of farm junk, that I wanted a complete nerf of everything. I since changed my mind, which I do a lot.

If anyone can point me to the thread where there were tons of authors campaigning about FMs, I'll read it.

I still do like the changes. Fleets should be rewarded for doing fleet things as a fleet.

That's my reaction to the news, not some secretly waged campaign to take away your FMs.

Foundry stories shouldn't be the casualties of S6's introduction of massive buckets. We never singled out FMs as the culprit. The culprit (for me) was the 15 minute minimum. Apparently, Cryptic did single out the FMs, or perhaps used the occasion to reduce the FMs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    The counterpoint to this is that you can't enact policy decisions for the service based only on those who complain loudest. that's just not the way business works.

Totally understand, but the thing to look at is that most of us don't post in the forums until they make FUBAR of the game! And the ones, like me, that do post are just the tip of the iceberg!

And PWE/Cryptic already did just what you said the don't do! They changed the foundry and IOR based on a very small number of foundry authors... like 4 of them!

PWE/Cryptic Stop the grind, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013

So much wrong with this example, but I'm not even going to waste time explaining why.

Suffice it to say, I get what you're trying to say.

But look - really look - at this situation. Nobody else was complaining about Foundry rewards. There was no incentive at all to change them. Foundry rewards as they were worked. Enter one group of people with the crazy between them to stalk Devs and make demands, and suddenly an alteration that is exactly to their wishes.

If these things were unrelated - say, Foundry authors crying for rewards nerfs got rewards in Fleet Actions nerfed - then I could agree that this is an example of correlation without causation, like Lisa's anti-tiger rock. But there is no such disparity here. We have one group making a demand about a system, and that exact system gets changed in the exact way demanded. Now, maybe, just maybe, it's a coincidence, and if turns out to be, I can accept that. But there's too much lining up, making too much sense, for me to assume it is a coincidence.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013

All I did was demonstrate your making the same logical fallacy, but in reverse, as the one you're decrying in others. No need to throw your rattle out of the pram.

As for the second part of your statement, i made no such assertion. This decision has turned my cynicism mode to 11.

Logic, as Star Trek has taught us, has its limits. Human nature will have its day, logic or not.

Foundry authors, a teeny minority, asked for and got a major game balance change. There isn't necessarily a causative relationship, neither is there necessarily NOT a causative relationship.

Human nature will, as always, trump logic. That tiny minority of foundry authors may, possibly, not have caused the change they lobbied so hard and incessantly for (but maybe they did, we don't know for sure)........but they will end up taking responsibility for it.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Next strawman, please...

You actually think it is within Cryptic's current abilities to deliver a full faction? And you think our ideas are funny...

So how are those Tac friendly Galaxy class going..... does not take much it's already there they just can add another ship slap a price on it and poof those Galaxy class minority can get their ships they been screaming for a good amount of time.

BTW when did the PVPers lose their power over Cryptic to the Foundry authors....I remember a time when people said they controlled Cryptic?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • r37r37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I was curious so I just played a boff grinder and got 754 dilithium for eating a bean burrito.

That beats a trip to SFA where I have to google the answer to a quiz.

Somehow I think the talk of a massive Foundry "nerf" is hyped.

BRR is still netting me 700 dil, so that's not a big change, although it's still an unneeded one. The 50 FM is what has every one upset though, my fleet is already setting up SB:FD events every 30 minutes, and that's going to get old real fast. A lot of People here don't seam to understand that the IOR offered people a way to do various things to earn those marks, and now we are back to grinding fleet marks exactly the same way, every single day of the week.

As for the Dil reduction/scaling, well Cryptic can't make up their mind when it comes to Dil. They say they want people to earn more Dil & then micro manage the hell out of any new source. It boggles my mind how touchy they are with Dil given that they already have the refining cap that prevents anyone from making over 8k of usable Dil per day (Baring LTS). The level of micro management going on is not needed & frankly it's getting very annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    What's easier? A full KDF faction, or tweaking some things in a reward?

Why again is it so hard to believe that they listen to Foundry authors sometimes but not the KDF?

My point exactly. Klingon faction is a money loser for the game at least for now and to compare that to nerf is just nonsense. Klingons whine so often that you almost don't hear them anymore. They listen... they just choose to handle the things they can in the most simplest of ways without devoting much resources from other projects. Making a faction isn't simple, tweeking rewards is.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I still do like the changes. Fleets should be rewarded for doing fleet things as a fleet.

That's my reaction to the news, not some secretly waged campaign to take away your FMs.

That's exactly the sort of thing a member of a secret cabal of string-pullers would say and don't think you're going to fool these guys into accepting that reasonable sounding reply as anything but more manipulation.
    <3
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    ...BTW when did the PVPers lose their power over Cryptic to the Foundry authors....I remember a time when people said they controlled Cryptic?

You made me snort some Pepsi up my nose on that one.

So true though.

Although in this case I think your wrong to use it as an example. PvP'ers get blamed for space nerfs..XD
    edited February 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    Human nature will, as always, trump logic. That tiny minority of foundry authors may, possibly, not have caused the change they lobbied so hard and incessantly for (but maybe they did, we don't know for sure)........but they will end up taking responsibility for it.
    Because the mob needs a target for their outrage, and they're going to lynch the first author they can find to take the blame, guilty or not? :rolleyes:
  • randell1randell1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok so IOR repeatable gone due to farmering issues, problem had a simply fix increase cooldown time from 30mins to whatever they felt would have been acceptable.

As far as fleet marks I know they were orginally added to IORs for two week then removed but after much requests from players they were added as a permanent reward to IORs. Curious to hear back from cyptic/PWE on this one lol like that will happen why we lost our Fleet marks rewards.

Cyptic/PWE says they make changes to the game in response of the majority of the players. So you gave us something one day and then take it away again good way to win over our respect and support.

The system that was in place before the patch changes on Feb 14, 2013 was fine. Large fleets were only getting to Tier 5 status which was within Cyptic/PWE target area for SB tier 5 completion. Back when Season 6 hit cyptic said in their release notes it would take at least 7 months for a large fleet to get to Tier 5 which it has, dont see why Fleet marks rewards have been removed from IORs which has really kicked us smaller fleets right in our unmentionables.

Anyways hoping to get a new mission besides the 1 daily and the sub par mark rewards from grinding Fleet mission like nuts to get them. Be nice to see them back in IOR and worked into them same way Dil reward is and get our 50 Fleet marks for at least 15mins of work.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well KDF players you heard it here...if you became a foundry author and annoy Cryptic you will have your a full faction. :rolleyes:

Almost , but not quite . :)

KDF players should become foundry authors , smooch Cryptic's behind day and night and basically become Cryptic's Darling and then spring the trap :

Complain about how an un-finished KDF faction is an exploit , and BAM you've got yourself 10 levels of KDF goodness at least .

Bemoan how an unfinished KDF faction hurts the purity of the foundry and hello KDF 1-50 .
    Moan about how it's too bright out there in the real game and they might even throw in a tutorial ! :P
    edited February 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    My point exactly. Klingon faction is a money loser for the game at least for now and to compare that to nerf is just nonsense. Klingons whine so often that you almost don't hear them anymore. They listen... they just choose to handle the things they can in the most simplest of ways without devoting much resources from other projects. Making a faction isn't simple, tweeking rewards is.

Maybe PWE/Cryptic needs to start thinking outside the "farm" and come back to the original space based game STO was.

They a made complete "farming" system and called it "Season 7". So those same dev's, if given the order by the executives, could certainly come up with playable factions.

PWE/Cryptic Stop the farming, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was curious so I just played a boff grinder and got 754 dilithium for eating a bean burrito.

That beats a trip to SFA where I have to google the answer to a quiz.

Somehow I think the talk of a massive Foundry "nerf" is hyped.

Here is something we agree on. The change only made it more of a dilithium grind without the timer. You can still AFK for 15 minutes and repeat as often as you like now. I don't see this as a win for anybody. I want my FMs back or at least a choice. No one is going to play a spotlight mission for 1440 dil. I just played to 15 minute AFK missions and got 838 and 960 dil. Oh and 20 diplomacy XP LOL. I could play 4 of these in a hour and earn more than double that spotlight mission.

Cryptic probably doesn't care about the dil grind since you can only refine 8k a day anyways.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • supremeheretic36supremeheretic36 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is a bigger picture in play here. Since PWE's acquiring of Cryptic, much of Cryptic's own plan and vision for STO has been altered to PWE's eastern gaming standard framework.

PWE is in this to make as much money as possible, and could care less if we've played 3 years or 3 minutes. Same as they could care less if we're Star trek fans and loyal supporters of the franchise. The fact is, even if Cryptic privately wanted to lessen the extreme grind of this game and implement their original ideas for how they saw free to play, that ship has sailed because the parent company wants its mandate uniform across all its games. I'm sure they want said games developed to fit in that framework.

Whether or not their eastern "sit in a cafe and grind a game for hours until you drop dead" model is liked by westerners or not, they don't care. Most all of us have already made them successful through our hopeful support that somehow things will be different, so essentially, we've all helped enable our own assimilation since day 1 of PWE ownership and free to play.

This is sadly just another symptom of a bigger problem that can never be fixed because it's here until PWE sells or goes out of business.
    Lifetime subber and former STO player from when it didn't suck.

Fed: Astarsha, level 60 tactical officer

KDF: K'tana level 54 tactical officer
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is a bigger picture in play here. Since PWE's acquiring of Cryptic, much of Cryptic's own plan and vision for STO has been altered to PWE's eastern gaming standard framework.

PWE is in this to make as much money as possible, and could care less if we've played 3 years or 3 minutes. Same as they could care less if we're Star trek fans and loyal supporters of the franchise. The fact is, even if Cryptic privately wanted to lessen the extreme grind of this game and implement their original ideas for how they saw free to play, that ship has sailed because the parent company wants its mandate uniform across all its games. I'm sure they want said games developed to fit in that framework.

Whether or not their eastern "sit in a cafe and grind a game for hours until you drop dead" model is liked by westerners or not, they don't care. Most all of us have already made them successful through our hopeful support that somehow things will be different, so essentially, we've all helped enable our own assimilation since day 1 of PWE ownership and free to play.

This is sadly just another symptom of a bigger problem that can never be fixed because it's here until PWE sells or goes out of business.

So what you're saying is to fix STO, we need to bankrupt PWE?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited February 2013

You are correct. We have been assimulated by the PWE "farming" game system!

PWE/Cryptic Stop the farm game, bring back the fun!

Zeus
  • supremeheretic36supremeheretic36 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    So what you're saying is to fix STO, we need to bankrupt PWE?

All I'm saying is that we can demand change until we're blue in the face, it's not coming. Period. Like it or not, this is the game it is.
    Lifetime subber and former STO player from when it didn't suck.

Fed: Astarsha, level 60 tactical officer

KDF: K'tana level 54 tactical officer
This discussion has been closed.