test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Foundry/ Fleet Mark Reward Changes

Comments

• thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Their whole systems skewed.

You run and STF and get anywheres from 70 to 100 Omega.

You run a fleet event and get maybe 20 if your pugging it.

You run Azure Nebula or a Vault mission and get 17 max. Only decent Rommie mission is the Tau Dewa patrol daily and they STILL haven't fixed the Red Alerts. ((Which is an integral part of Season 7.)) Unless you like farming Epohhs, and we all love farming Epohhs don't we...

They should demote the brain trust who thought up this system...
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I was curious so I just played a boff grinder and got 754 dilithium for eating a bean burrito.

That beats a trip to SFA where I have to google the answer to a quiz.

Somehow I think the talk of a massive Foundry "nerf" is hyped.

Strawman argument.

The discusion is the lack of fleet marks.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another idea they could do is implement something like the Prestige system from their original MMO City of Heroes. When you joined a supergroup there, you could switch to "Supergroup Mode", this allowed you to earn the supergroup currency 'Prestige' no matter what content you were doing in the game.

It'd be a trade off for other rewards at the time, but in this way it'd be like you 'flying the flag' for your fleet, so to speak.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    I got the answer... light bulb flashed brightly!

So how about the person or persons at PWE/Cryptic that seem to enjoy on-line grinding (err I mean boring game play), design a new space based "farming" game and leave STO to the devs that enjoy space battles and flying Starships?

In fact why don't they just remove the grinding (Fleet bases and Embassy bases) so we all play the story lines again?

Maybe the story lines got forgotten by them since we went to grinding on the "farm"

PWE/Cryptic stop the grinding, bring back the fun!

Zeus

Wait there is a FATAL FLAW in your post: you assume that the Devs actually PLAY the game!!
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Strawman argument.
    So's blaming (some) Foundry authors for this decision of Cryptic's. Can we agree not to do that?
    edited February 2013
    hfmudd wrote: »
    So's blaming (some) Foundry authors for this decision of Cryptic's. Can we agree not to do that?

Sorry, no it's not. Again, links have been posted to past discussions, and it is beyond coincedence that the exact changes some authors (especially some of the more vocal) wanted have happened.

The posts are there for all to read.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was curious so I just played a boff grinder and got 754 dilithium for eating a bean burrito.

Surely one such as yourself, who holds himself so highly over his lesser, grinding hamster peers, understands that dilithium is not the major concern here?
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had to read the patch notes twice. I could not believe what I was reading (i know, insufficiently cynical)

So, let me see if I can summarise this whole sorry debacle.

Some foundry authors felt that their missions were not getting the attention they felt they deserved. Some of them, a small minority, made it their mission to force players to pay attention to their creations. They used all communication tools at their disposal and, apparently, have won.....a pyrrhic victory at best. All they have succeeded in doing is drastically reduce the numbers of players that will bother with the foundry, and i wouldnt be at all surprised that once their specific names get into the community their offerings will be boycotted or voted down.

Cryptic, meanwhile, clearly feel that fleets of less than 25 or so actives do not deserve to build starbases. They have refused to implement scaling requirements for fleet projects. TBH, I get that one, too problematic to balance. However they have now removed a major, if not THE major, source of fleet marks in the game without any hint of something to replace them. They did this without consulting the player base and seem oblivious or contemptuous to the clear majority of players who feel this is a bad idea. This move will not massively disadvantage big fleets or those who have already maxed out. However it will be a huge handicap to everyone else. Thus they have succeeded only in throwing a huge wrench into their game balance. Big fleets already can build things quicker by virtue of being big. Small fleets will now fall further behind, the disparity will grow and I can't see how this can't be characterised as an attempt to punish small fleets for being small.

Some posters in this thread have defended the move by a variety of types of response. Some use the 'I'm alright, Jack' approach and say it doesn't really affect them as they've already got what they need, so they can't see the issue.
    Others use the 'small fleets and individuals really DON'T deserve fleet marks, they should only be achieved by big fleets of highly experienced players, teaming together'

STO is an MMO. The first M is important, massively. It implies (and requires) a variety of approaches to the game. it should cater to those who want to fly solo, those who play in small fleets as well as large, those who prefer ground over space combat and vice versa, those who love story based missions, those who like to watch things explode, and a million other types of approaches. This recent move is, apparently, a clear move to creating a monoculture of approaches. You can do whatever you want but nothing except the approved style of play is rewarded.

If five person fleets are going to be handicapped like this, then it should not be possible to start a fleet with just five people. If only fleets of around 25 players can get things done in anything except a glacial speed, then require 25 people to wander on to the same instance of ESD to create a fleet.

Absurd isn't it? It couldn't possibly work like that. except for the aforementioned "I'm alright, Jack' people.

A number of posters have suggested ways to reinstate a way of getting reasonable amounts of fleet marks. If Cryptic are serious about creating and maintaining a game that the player base actually wants to play, these should be implemented as soon as is humanly possible. To do anything else will hurt Cryptics bottom line. Because i'm pretty sure that while small fleets have less people, they also make up the majority of players in the game. Alienating the majority of your players to pander to a minority is a good way to kill cash flow quickly.
  • imperialmirrorimperialmirror Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it wasn't for those complaining Foundry authors that make 4 hour long missions. They would have not taken this mission away from us. They complained and Cryptic caved. I for one am not spending one more dime on this game til they revert the changes they have made.
    1Wv2pWK.gif
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll see your "3 major nerfs" and raise you three years that pretty much every Klingon player, ever, has been shouting for more. You think that Cryptic is going to ignore all of that, yet leap to do the bidding of a handful of purist mission authors?

PWE and Cryptic are going to do as they please, just as they always have. None of us gets a vote, except with our feet.

I think there's more to it than that, could it be they are giving more lip service to "supporting the Foundry" in an effort to draw players to NWO? I agree that if it was just the Foundry authors complaining Cryptic would never have lifted a finger, but...

We do know Cryptic is more than happy to throw a current game under the bus in favor of their next release (CO suffered irreparable damage to get STO launched, much like CO and STO are suffering to get NWO launched). So could it be they are trying to look good to potential NWO Foundry users? Foundry authors and the Foundry podcasts ARE listened to by these future potential customers and they would doubtlessly be relieved to see Cryptic being active in ensuring the sanctity of their Foundry systems.

Of course, the simpler reason is that Cryptic is desperately trying to get more people to play the way it happens in other PWE tittles, large guilds with lots of pressure to contribute to the large, endless grinds.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, no it's not. Again, links have been posted to past discussions, and it is beyond coincedence that the exact changes some authors (especially some of the more vocal) wanted have happened.

Well KDF players you heard it here...if you became a foundry author and annoy Cryptic you will have your a full faction. :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So I just entered 3 KDF fleet queues. After waiting for 6 minutes for the queue to start, we did actually finish (first time all week) for 18 FM. So 25 minutes of total time got me a whopping 18FM for daily projects that require 900fm and upgrades that require 10-12k FM.......and not to mention these missiosn haven't changed sicne they released last summer. Oh the joys of grinding sweatshops!
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the biggest thing that no one has really mentioned so far is that by removing the fleet marks they are slowing progression for fleets which is what they want. Why do they want it? When I played WoW, one of the development team openly stated that they were having issues with people blowing through content in a month, then complaining that there was nothing to do until the next big patch which in that game could be several months away. In a way, I can sympathize because you can only develop content so fast.

At the same time though, I find it ridiculous that Cryptic sets our expectations at a certain level only to have them crushed by a backtracking such as this. They are looking for ways to slow down starbase development. They know extending the timers would be far too obvious so they do something like this and make it much more difficult to acquire the marks. There are always reasons that aren't so obvious for people to make certain changes in the game environment. The only thing that has really bothered me continuously has been some of these stealth changes that are never mentioned in the patch notes. Yes, they made it very clear about the fleet mark changes, but certain changes like the removal of fleet mark tokens from lockboxes was never mentioned, and if it was I guess my eyes glazed over when I read it.

Why was this not mentioned in patch notes?

I went over the season 7 patch notes and nowhere does it state that these were removed from the boxes. Only when I went into my bank to look for my unused tokens did I notice this change.

When compared to the game I previously mentioned, I feel like there are times when Cryptic isn't being as honest with us as they should be. If you are going to make a change, there is little we can do to stop them, but at least let us know.

Also, when a dev decides to comment on something like new additions being made to the game, it would be better to either tell us what is definitely coming than to say something like "We are planning this and that and will let you know more in the future." And if for some reason something promised is either scrapped or pushed back, then just tell us. No more of this political word play. We are all adults here and if something that was planned falls through, then just come out and say "This is not going to happen" instead of just leaving us hanging.

From a business standpoint, I don't have a ton of confidence in Cryptic / PWE at the moment. I read over the development of the KDF from alpha to introduction and I have to say there were so many issues there that I am actually a little afraid to spend anymore money in the game. I've made it no secret that I've purchased zen so no one can say I am just saying i spend money to try to make my post seem more important.

In a way, I'm actually a little disturbed here that with such an uproar, no one from Cryptic has felt the need to address the issue other than to say something like "If you have complaints, [insert web address]."
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited February 2013

People are not upset about Dil, they are upset about the removal of the Fleet Marks.
    edited February 2013

And Cryptic read those posts and immediately did as they were told, unlike every KDF player and/or PVPer over the past three years?

A Vulcan would have some choice words about your logic.
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Bleh. I don't even feel like playing STO tonight.

Knowing they'll pull things out from under you without warning kind of takes away from the daily grinding in a worse way. And I know, that's hard to imagine...

Gene must be spinning in his grave so fast he's about to combust...
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How's this for some ideas to improve the game and "bring back the fun"....

Why not remove the "farming" bases (Fleet and Embassy) and replace then with playable factions?

Playable Romulans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Remans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Ferengi with ships, weapons, story lines, and let tehm be the traders/Pirates of the game.

Playable Cardassians

Playable Borg (now who would not like flying a Tac Cube!!!!)

Playable Jem'Hadar

Playable Breen

Playable Undine

And for an exciting thing to do.... let the players defend their space against other factions trying to fly through it.

All of the ships, weapons, systems, etc. already exist so just the mechanics need to be developed.

But what a game it could be!!!!! Much better than grinding on the "farm".

PWE/Cryptic stop the farm system and bring back the fun!

Zeus
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    Gene must be spinning in his grave so fast he's about to combust...

People keep saying this, apparently in complete ignorance that Gene was himself a huckster and a capitalist of the first order. He did everything he could during his life to make a quick buck off what he'd created. The only reason he'd be unhappy about any decision made by PWE or Cryptic is if he wasn't getting a cut.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It is a very small minority of foundry authors, but what cryptic has done is precisely what they were asking for.

They may not have made the actual call, but they lobbied hard and incessantly for it. Clearly they must shoulder some of the responsibility for this short sighted, horribly flawed decision.

As said earlier, it will be a pyrrhic victory at best for them. Their names are known to those who care to look. I seriously doubt they'll get the result they were looking for. If they were only getting 5 plays a week before now, with scores of 3 or 4 stars, they'll be lucky to get that many plays a month from now on. And their average score is going to plummet.

We can only express our displeasure at crytic via financial means, but the foundry authors who are laughing behind their sleeves now are somewhat more accessible.
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Well KDF players you heard it here...if you became a foundry author and annoy Cryptic you will have your a full faction. :rolleyes:

Man, you guys are really grasping at straws.

It is a general concensus here that Cryptic is pretty much unable to deliever a full Klingon faction.

Besides, we aren't talking about rehashed missions for the KDF; the discussion is about the playerbase being shoehorned into one type of content. At least with the KDF as it is, I had my Bird-of-Prey, could galavant about the galaxy, and had choiced for advancement.

Again, choice. I have no choice as to how to spend my time and gain fleet marks.
    edited February 2013
    People keep saying this, apparently in complete ignorance that Gene was himself a huckster and a capitalist of the first order. He did everything he could during his life to make a quick buck off what he'd created. The only reason he'd be unhappy about any decision made by PWE or Cryptic is if he wasn't getting a cut.

They also forget he is not in a Grave but was lunched into space :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    I think the biggest thing that no one has really mentioned so far is that by removing the fleet marks they are slowing progression for fleets which is what they want. Why do they want it? When I played WoW, one of the development team openly stated that they were having issues with people blowing through content in a month, then complaining that there was nothing to do until the next big patch which in that game could be several months away. In a way, I can sympathize because you can only develop content so fast.

At the same time though, I find it ridiculous that Cryptic sets our expectations at a certain level only to have them crushed by a backtracking such as this. They are looking for ways to slow down starbase development. They know extending the timers would be far too obvious so they do something like this and make it much more difficult to acquire the marks. There are always reasons that aren't so obvious for people to make certain changes in the game environment. The only thing that has really bothered me continuously has been some of these stealth changes that are never mentioned in the patch notes. Yes, they made it very clear about the fleet mark changes, but certain changes like the removal of fleet mark tokens from lockboxes was never mentioned, and if it was I guess my eyes glazed over when I read it.

Why was this not mentioned in patch notes?

I went over the season 7 patch notes and nowhere does it state that these were removed from the boxes. Only when I went into my bank to look for my unused tokens did I notice this change.

When compared to the game I previously mentioned, I feel like there are times when Cryptic isn't being as honest with us as they should be. If you are going to make a change, there is little we can do to stop them, but at least let us know.

Also, when a dev decides to comment on something like new additions being made to the game, it would be better to either tell us what is definitely coming than to say something like "We are planning this and that and will let you know more in the future." And if for some reason something promised is either scrapped or pushed back, then just tell us. No more of this political word play. We are all adults here and if something that was planned falls through, then just come out and say "This is not going to happen" instead of just leaving us hanging.

From a business standpoint, I don't have a ton of confidence in Cryptic / PWE at the moment. I read over the development of the KDF from alpha to introduction and I have to say there were so many issues there that I am actually a little afraid to spend anymore money in the game. I've made it no secret that I've purchased zen so no one can say I am just saying i spend money to try to make my post seem more important.

In a way, I'm actually a little disturbed here that with such an uproar, no one from Cryptic has felt the need to address the issue other than to say something like "If you have complaints, [insert web address]."

Are you still going to be farming marks to sell to fleets after this change? I know you used to do it in the days before Fleet marks were put in the IOR - you did it the old way running Fleet mark missions - over and over and over again!
  • zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it wasn't for those complaining Foundry authors that make 4 hour long missions. They would have not taken this mission away from us. They complained and Cryptic caved. I for one am not spending one more dime on this game til they revert the changes they have made.

PWE/Cryptic look at what is said in this post!!!!! "not one more dime on this game"

Are you starting to understand we don't want a "farming" grind for game play???????

PWE/Cryptic Stop the grinding farm game, bring back the fun!

Zeus
    edited February 2013
    Man, you guys are really grasping at straws.

It is a general concensus here that Cryptic is pretty much unable to deliever a full Klingon faction.

Besides, we aren't talking about rehashed missions for the KDF; the discussion is about the playerbase being shoehorned into one type of content. At least with the KDF as it is, I had my Bird-of-Prey, could galavant about the galaxy, and had choiced for advancement.

Again, choice. I have no choice as to how to spend my time and gain fleet marks.

You're blaming players for being vocal as the reason this happened, and we are telling you if that was true KDF would have a full faction:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You're blaming players for being vocal as the reason this happened, and we are telling you if that was true KDF would have a full faction:eek:

What's easier? A full KDF faction, or tweaking some things in a reward?

Why again is it so hard to believe that they listen to Foundry authors sometimes but not the KDF?
    edited February 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    It is a very small minority of foundry authors, but what cryptic has done is precisely what they were asking for.

Correlation is not causation. Basic logical fallacy. If I predict that PWE will do everything within their power to monetize this game, and they do, have I caused that to happen, or merely made an accurate observation? Have they done as I have told them, or merely what they were going to do all along?
    We can only express our displeasure at crytic via financial means, but the foundry authors who are laughing behind their sleeves now are somewhat more accessible.

Exactly. You're trying to grasp at those that you can reach. You have no power over those who made this call, but rather than admit your powerlessness, and give up on this game and all of your (financial, emotional, etc) investment, you'd prefer to find some scapegoat(s) among your fellow players. Because that allows you to retain your illusion of control, of having any say in where this game goes - that maybe next time Cryptic will listen to what you want.

(Protip: they won't. If you do get what you want, it will be mere coincidence.)
  • deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeus16nbs wrote: »
    How's this for some ideas to improve the game and "bring back the fun"....

Why not remove the "farming" bases (Fleet and Embassy) and replace then with playable factions?

Playable Romulans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Remans with ships, weapons, and story lines

Playable Ferengi with ships, weapons, story lines, and let tehm be the traders/Pirates of the game.

Playable Cardassians

Playable Borg (now who would not like flying a Tac Cube!!!!)

Playable Jem'Hadar

Playable Breen

Playable Undine

And for an exciting thing to do.... let the players defend their space against other factions trying to fly through it.

All of the ships, weapons, systems, etc. already exist so just the mechanics need to be developed.

But what a game it could be!!!!! Much better than grinding on the "farm".

PWE/Cryptic stop the farm system and bring back the fun!

Zeus

This would be to much fun and there brain would explode
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Are you still going to be farming marks to sell to fleets after this change? I know you used to do it in the days before Fleet marks were put in the IOR - you did it the old way running Fleet mark missions - over and over and over again!

I did that for a while, but I started to burn out on it. The AFKers were just so bad that I might as well have been soloing some of those missions. If I do decide to go back into that line of work, it will be on a smaller scale and I will be asking premium prices for my marks. Before this change I would have sold them for about maybe 2k ec a piece, but now you can bet I will ask a minimum of 5k each and probably access to elite weapons and / or a tier 4/5 shipyard...and people will pay it. With the marks I have stashed away on some of my characters, I can probably get about 10-20m ec right now if I chose to sell. If they are steadfast on this, I may wait till I can get upwards of 8k each.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited February 2013
    And Cryptic read those posts and immediately did as they were told, unlike every KDF player and/or PVPer over the past three years?

A Vulcan would have some choice words about your logic.

Does anyone really believe the Cryptic can deliever a full KDF? Not really. Anyone here that pays attention knows that.

However, when it comes to the Foundry, you have those that share Cryptic views of storytelling and storytelling only. I'm not making this up, and links have already been posted to such threads.

As has also already been posted, these authors have hounded the devs on every form of media available .

And, as has already been posted and linked to, the time frame between vocal demands and nerfs is beyond coincidence.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Correlation is not causation. Basic logical fallacy. If I predict that PWE will do everything within their power to monetize this game, and they do, have I caused that to happen, or merely made an accurate observation? Have they done as I have told them, or merely what they were going to do all along?

Exactly. You're trying to grasp at those that you can reach. You have no power over those who made this call, but rather than admit your powerlessness, and give up on this game and all of your (financial, emotional, etc) investment, you'd prefer to find some scapegoat(s) among your fellow players. Because that allows you to retain your illusion of control, of having any say in where this game goes - that maybe next time Cryptic will listen to what you want.

(Protip: they won't. If you do get what you want, it will be mere coincidence.)

The smartest thing said on this topic.

The shadowy cabal of Foundry authors that control thing is the dumbest.
    <3
This discussion has been closed.