What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    enterprise629enterprise629 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Once the mission is published, it should not be removed. The only exception to this would be if for some reason players are saying they can't complete it and you need to fix something so they can. Feel free to fix spelling, etc. after the voting ends :)

I'm not sure about a text editor, but I know the team knows it's a requested feature. I don't know of any concrete plans, but maybe one day!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you for an instant response - wow, very quick indeed.

If you don't mind, in the future, maybe you should mention this in the submitting thread - if you haven't already that is. I'm sure it's very useful information to first time entries.

"Temporal Investigations" is my first ever submit, and is also my first ever mission I've made in the foundry, so wooo, why not?!

I'll defiantly correct my spelling mistake when I can, luckily it isn't anything major.

Ah yes, maybe one day indeed! Lets hope so! :D

Will you be playing any of the missions? Hope you enjoy them if you do!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fingers crossed I don't get hundreds of "ah poo I fell into the spoiler".. invisible walls... do your job dammit!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for an instant response - wow, very quick indeed.

If you don't mind, in the future, maybe you should mention this in the submitting thread - if you haven't already that is. I'm sure it's very useful information to first time entries.

"Temporal Investigations" is my first ever submit, and is also my first ever mission I've made in the foundry, so wooo, why not?!

I'll defiantly correct my spelling mistake when I can, luckily it isn't anything major.

Ah yes, maybe one day indeed! Lets hope so! :D

Will you be playing any of the missions? Hope you enjoy them if you do!

I'll absolutely be playing them :) I won't be leaving reviews, so voting remains unbiased, but congrats on your first mission!

Also, thanks for the suggestion about adding a rule about withdrawing after voting starts -- I will definitely add this now and ensure it's in the future rules.

Best of luck with your mission!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you anyway Bran_Flakes, will still give you a guilt trip though ;) lol

Looking forward to playing everyones missions and I'll just use this opputunity as a chance to perfect on perfection with my mission ;)

Thats EC you owe me Thay8472, we already know its a girl :p

Talk soon and hopefully I will be available for the next challenge, ill let you know how big it was and in extenstion how awsome my seed is! :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    skydawnknightskydawnknight Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Looking forward to playing everyones missions and I'll just use this opputunity as a chance to perfect on perfection with my mission ;)

Talk soon and hopefully I will be available for the next challenge, ill let you know how big it was and in extenstion how awsome my seed is! :D

Yeah, I was looking forward to participating in this challenge as well (with a valid mission this time too lol... hey, everyone has their noob phase)

Unfortunately, I've been busy doing a 1500 mile move. Not much time for any other deadlines. Congrats on your new baby girl!
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Can't wait to see what interesting mission creation you cooked up this time. I'll definitely be playing yours!

*Picard Facepalm*
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Once the mission is published, it should not be removed

Technically, you can republish the mission without withdrawing it, so it's not removed from the list if you change something then hit "publish" again.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    heissenburgheissenburg Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only review of my mission so far is that a player was unable to find the starting location. Pulling it down to resolve that issue and putting it right back up again.

If this disqualifies me from the challenge I'm not terribly bothered, this is my first attempt at a mission and I value the feedback I could potentially get from quality foundry authors here more than I do the challenge itself, I've merely used the challenge to motivate and focus myself.
  • Options
    ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only review of my mission so far is that a player was unable to find the starting location. Pulling it down to resolve that issue and putting it right back up again.

If this disqualifies me from the challenge I'm not terribly bothered, this is my first attempt at a mission and I value the feedback I could potentially get from quality foundry authors here more than I do the challenge itself, I've merely used the challenge to motivate and focus myself.

Hessenburg, just to reiterate what Diogene mentioned above, you don't actually have to withdraw your entry for that kind of change. You should be able to directly republish without interrupting player access to the mission (though, until the republish is done, they'll still be getting the older revision).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ashtaku wrote: »
    Hessenburg, just to reiterate what Diogene mentioned above, you don't actually have to withdraw your entry for that kind of change. You should be able to directly republish without interrupting player access to the mission (though, until the republish is done, they'll still be getting the older revision).

Correct; and if there is something blocking a player from starting the mission, like what was reported above, this is absolutely okay to fix :) We definitely want players to be able to start your mission. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2013
    Full disclosure: publishing to fix a word, apparently I told people to go east at one point in the dialogue but the objective is to the west. Apologies, but I wanted to make sure people had the right directions so they can finish the mission properly.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    heissenburgheissenburg Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I did republish without taking it down as was suggested up-thread. I'll be getting reviews for each of the missions done as I find time to do them over the weekend and such.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bran:

I'm a little concerned that I may be encountering a bug with my mission. "The Tangled Webs We Weave" is currently at 24 reviews (so presumably even more actual playthroughs), and during testing the average playtime was about half an hour (more if you run down all the optional dialogue).

However, TTWWW isn't out of the "no rewards" doghouse yet. I'm concerned that there may be a problem with the mission that is causing it to fail the algorithmic quality control test (since I'm pretty sure it meets and exceeds the minimum length requirement).

Is there any way you can determine what is wrong with my mission? I don't want a programming error on my part to result in people who take the time to play my story going unrewarded for their effort and willingness to try a first-time author's mission.

Thanks again for organizing a great contest, by the way, I've already received a lot of excellent feedback that will really help me as an author... can't think of a better way to get started with the Foundry. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bran:

I'm a little concerned that I may be encountering a bug with my mission. "The Tangled Webs We Weave" is currently at 24 reviews (so presumably even more actual playthroughs), and during testing the average playtime was about half an hour (more if you run down all the optional dialogue).

However, TTWWW isn't out of the "no rewards" doghouse yet. I'm concerned that there may be a problem with the mission that is causing it to fail the algorithmic quality control test (since I'm pretty sure it meets and exceeds the minimum length requirement).

Is there any way you can determine what is wrong with my mission? I don't want a programming error on my part to result in people who take the time to play my story going unrewarded for their effort and willingness to try a first-time author's mission.

Thanks again for organizing a great contest, by the way, I've already received a lot of excellent feedback that will really help me as an author... can't think of a better way to get started with the Foundry. :)

Mine is currently at 10 reviews, with most at 5 star. :D yay! In total 250 donations, woo!

I have a similar problem. I have a feeling it is due to the number of plays which will make it give rewards, but unsure to be honest.

As this is my first mission too, and submitting mission, I don't know how voting works completely - do reviews also count as votes (e.g. only 5 star reviews)? Or just the emails?

About the no reward, if reviews do count (IF), then this may make players not play and review missions or even give a bad rating as no rewards are given for their time, meaning mine and ashtaku and maybe others a slight disadvantage.

- EDIT -

It has just updated. Mine is now giving out rewards.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bran:

Please post about it here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=497951 :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, Brandon, you rock :)

So when's the next PVP boxing event? J'Rella needs some more exercise ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    "Depths of Nukara Prime"

(im aware of the spelling errors.. promise i'll go through it and fix them when rl stuff happens)

Would like some feedback on the caves...

a) Do you like them?

b) Is the "how" you're there believable?

c) Did you find the Thermonic Horta eggs? :P

d) did you find a gap in the invisible walls, if so.. where? (please say no)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    "Depths of Nukara Prime"

(im aware of the spelling errors.. promise i'll go through it and fix them when rl stuff happens)

a) Do you like them? Yes

b) Is the "how" you're there believable? Yes. The specific technobabble details fall on a very thin line that can easily fall into the trap of Mary-Sue storytelling, but you carried it and made it work. As someone who's read a lot of Trek fan fiction over the years, I can tell you that you are in the minority in being able to make that kind of scenario work.

The "scared" dialogue about not liking snakes earned a screenshot and a post to my fleet's Facebook page (the BOFF STO assigned to the dialogue was my 'brave Klingon warrior' :D)

So... TL;DR version: Yes, and congratulations on doing so.

c) Did you find the Thermonic Horta eggs? :P Yes

d) did you find a gap in the invisible walls, if so.. where? (please say no) No, but I found the sinkhole as we discussed earlier.

Speaking in invisible walls, Thay, did you take the non-combat path in TTWWW? If so, did you have any issues with invisible walls not being where they should be? I tried to plug that one up pretty tight, but I know that there are some spaces determined Caitians can wriggle through.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Depths of Nukara Prime"

a) Do you like them?
    Yes, nice work, I was wondering how you manage to do them^^
    Overall it's fine, but why the Pods went through the planet surface to the cave, there are no holes ? I may have missed an explanation^^
    I did^^
    No, but I didn't make a thorough check.

As a side note, not sure if it was you or someone else (played several missions), but I think you kept calling the Iconians, Iconions. I like the pun (I C Onions), but it's still a spelling error :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Yes, nice work, I was wondering how you manage to do them^^

Overall it's fine, but why the Pods went through the planet surface to the cave, there are no holes ? I may have missed an explanation^^

I did^^

No, but I didn't make a thorough check.

As a side note, not sure if it was you or someone else (played several missions), but I think you kept calling the Iconians, Iconions. I like the pun (I C Onions), but it's still a spelling error :D

No, you didn't.. that is something I have overlooked.... and if I am honest.. completely forgot about while building the maps... I suppose crashing through the planet would have caused the odd rock slide.. but the rock peices above the players pathways are so big.. making a "hole" could be hard.. that and I think im near my asset limit.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    soracdunarsoracdunar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Depths of Nukara Prime"

a) Do you like them?

Thay, I played though this last night. It was a great mission. The caves are awesome! Excellent work on those. Even knowing that the invisible walls were there the caves and cliffs still added a sense of danger to the whole thing. I did get stuck on one of the rocks where it meets an invisible wall, but it was really early (just after the first rescue if I recall). So not really a crack in the walls, but a spot where my character got pinched and couldn't jump out of it.

The how of the story is believable, I didn't even think about the pods crashing through the ground as I was more involved in the story at hand. The background on the ship on all the side consoles was great also.

Yes I found the Horta eggs. They were not hard to discover, and were a neat side trip.

Overall an excellent piece of foundry work and I liked that there was an actual ending to the mission that allowed some further dialog and discovery of the story.

Thus far this is one of my favorites, but I'm still trying to play and review each entry.

-Sorac
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks people, at the present moment RL stuff is geting in the way.. but I will go through and grab all the errors before march 20th hits.

uhhh... If cryptic would give us some form of Death floor entity then I could remove the invisible walls.... that and the timed creatures back :/
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Really disappointed that my mission has so few playthroughs.

I've heard from some people that they have tried to play the mission, but it never came up in the Foundry search tab. Also, it seems it's not offering rewards either, although I've had 8 people so far rate the mission.

BranFlakes, could you fix these issues, or pass it along to someone else to fix it? It's giving an unfair advantage to other contestants, simply because of a lack of rewards and exposure.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Really disappointed that my mission has so few playthroughs.

I've heard from some people that they have tried to play the mission, but it never came up in the Foundry search tab. Also, it seems it's not offering rewards either, although I've had 8 people so far rate the mission.

BranFlakes, could you fix these issues, or pass it along to someone else to fix it? It's giving an unfair advantage to other contestants, simply because of a lack of rewards and exposure.

I second that, only 1 rate so far. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I searched for every mission before I published the voting thread to ensure it was published and could be found. Maybe their character was not at the correct level?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Full disclosure: publishing to change one word to make it gender neutral.

Although the word was not being used to speak about the player, it could be seen that way. This should avoid any misunderstandings
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Patch notes: Fixed some misspelled words.

Apprently my word processer was not set to automatically detect them. Facepalm moment:(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Will any podcasts etc be doing any reviews or talks of the foundry challenge number 6 missions?

Just asking/wondering. ^^

Mine, Temporal Investigations has got a good response so far, considering it's my 1st ever mission too. :D Many thanks guys.
  • Options
    thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will any podcasts etc be doing any reviews or talks of the foundry challenge number 6 missions?

Mine, Temporal Investigations has got a good response so far, considering it's my 1st ever mission too. :D Many thanks guys.

hmmm sounds good
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013

Markhawkman and I discussed our own entries on this week's Foundry Roundtable (see my sig). I'm sure we'll talk about more as we get the chance to play them. I know hippiejohn has played at least 2 since we recorded, so probably more on that next week.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable