test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If i can fix the errors before you dive in.. sure why not.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just figured I would let my fellow authors know that after six days of labour, she gave birth to a girl. :D

Thay8472, still waiting on the EC ;)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Congratulations.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just figured I would let my fellow authors know that after six days of labour, she gave birth to a girl. :D

Thay8472, still waiting on the EC ;)

Congratulations!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Markhawkman and I discussed our own entries on this week's Foundry Roundtable (see my sig). I'm sure we'll talk about more as we get the chance to play them. I know hippiejohn has played at least 2 since we recorded, so probably more on that next week.
    I actually managed 4 so far. the quality has varied considerably.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Package. (*Fun fact... was at one point over 2 hours long.)

I would like to thank everyone for their feed back.

The map exit points, not providing a map marker was distracting, and having to put time in trying to find best places to put them for easier access was also a deciding factor on what got cut.

Is it against the rules to to change spawn placement to try. "fixing" companions not following you? on one map?

And could I re skin an entire group of enemies? and change one mob level its to high for what I intended?
  • i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    RE: mission length.

are loading screens considered in determining the 30-45 minute requirement for length/time of completion?
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just finished reviewing the missions. You can send the bribes (masterkey or unpacked ship only) !
    I honestly don't know what to choose between 2-3 of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So here's some numbers to chew over. I listed all the missions based on star ratings. This doesn't mean anything when it comes to who will win however. I've entered every challenge I can say that rarely does the top stared mission win. Just thought people would like to know how everyone is doing in general.
    I have three parts:
    MISSION TITLE -NUMBER OF REVIEWS -STAR RATING FOR THE MISSION

404 Error: Admiral Not Found -45 -4.38
    Crystallization -59 -4.34
    The Tangled Webs We Weave -47 -4.28
    Wibbly Wobbly Earth -70 -4.25
    Depths of Nukara Prime -59 -4.24
    The Second Light -20 -4.1
    The Web on the Mirror -12 -4.08
    The Anti-Lithera Machine -7 -4
    Temporal Investigations -47 -3.98
    The Tholian Transit Authority -12 -3.92
    Do Cyrstal Spiders Dream? -11 -3.91
    Land of Hope and Glory -41 -3.83
    Shrouded By Misfortune -9 -3.78
    The Beta Rana Incident -11 -3.45
    Demons from the past -22 -3.27
    Friend of my enemy -49 -2.2
    The Package -5 -1.4
    S.A.R (Tholians) -6 -1.14
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Just finished reviewing the missions. You can send the bribes (masterkey or unpacked ship only) !

Damn, you are fast.
    Personally , I'm very happy we get so long to play them.
    There are a LOT of entries this time around.

Gotten through a fair number of them so far.
    As Marhawkman said above.
    Quality has varied quite a bit.

Probably will play a few more tonight.
    Personally, I am going to avoid talking about them too much on the Podcast.
    Some I like, Some I really like, Some I really don't like.
    My comments will be short and in the little review box.
    If people actually want more detailed feedback, drop me a private msg somewhere and I'll be glad to do that.

I will say this.
    In the ones I have played, it is obvious that a lot of people had trouble thinking of ways to utilize the Tholians without actual contacts. A whole lot of Kill this Tholian , now Kill that Tholian. It's honestly kind of what I expected with this challenge and not having anything but mobs to kill for the alien that is supposed to be "featured" in some way.

Anyway, hoping to find that one that uses Tholians in interesting ways.
    Perhaps I will find it tonight.

Peace, Love and Star Trekkin' Across the Universe
    - John
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Erei:

I finished my playthroughs yesterday as well -- I agree with what you're saying, there are a few really innovative and fun missions that are very hard to decide between. I'm thinking that next weekend I'll go back and do team replays of my "top five" with my fleet to get some more eyes and points of view (that and share some of the really fun moments with my friends :D)

Did you have any feedback about my mission ("The Tangled Webs We Weave")? Anything I could do better next time, or on the other hand anything I should definitely carry forward? TTWWW was my first mission, so feedback is very important for my 'professional development.'

Thanks again for taking the time to play all the missions :)
    edited March 2013
    The Tangled Webs We Weave was one of the last I did. It was a good mission, and I left you a comment. I was just unable to find any tactical option, while I found the sci and engi. Dunno if there is one I missed or not.
    Also, in the end the player have to tell which option he choose. For at least one of them, I didn't notice when I did it (it was "did you turn left or right on the Cardassian vessel ?", something like that). You may want to add "remember your choice" when we do it.

Your mission is one of those I prefered. Along with Beta Rana incident, Second light and Depths of Nukara Prime.
    Some others where good to, even if I don't mention them :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Wow, that's really fast :)

I've just finished three of them and I have already the "problem" that all of them have such a high quality that I cannot choose ^^
    edited March 2013
    Minor Spoiler Alert

Depths of Nukara Prime Update V0.2

Liberated Terran Npcs (Going to change these to Federation Npcs, with the recent change to timid creatures, they now fight back when getting caught between crossfire or genocidal thoughts from your Boffs... the outcome of these mirror npcs will be decided by the player before the map change.)

Spelling (I'll go on another spell checking hunt.)

Thanks to anyone who has played it so far :P hope you had fun..
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Thanks to anyone who has played it so far :P hope you had fun..

Actually I've played your mission last night. It was fantastic. I really enjoyed the story and this new race (I forgot the name). Obviously you spent a lot of time creating them and their society.

The underground maps were very cool. But I didn't "trust" the atmospheric bubble so my away team and me were all in EVAs (just for my RP-feeling ^^)

:P

*SPOILER*

Something unexpected happened at the end: as a good and loyal starfleet officer I decided to spare the lifes of the terran empire officers.
    Unfortunately during the final fight with the Tholians all terran empire officers were killed by my phaser turrets and drones :'(

EDIT: I see you are already aware of this.
    edited March 2013
    Actually I've played your mission last night. It was fantastic. I really enjoyed the story and this new race (I forgot the name). Obviously you spent a lot of time creating them and their society.

The underground maps were very cool. But I didn't "trust" the atmospheric bubble so my away team and me were all in EVAs (just for my RP-feeling ^^)

:P

*SPOILER*

Something unexpected happened at the end: as a good and loyal starfleet officer I decided to spare the lifes of the terran empire officers.
    Unfortunately during the final fight with the Tholians all terran empire officers were killed by my phaser turrets and drones :'(

EDIT: I see you are already aware of this.

aye.. the terrans are now going to fight with you.. rather than get caught in the crossfire... then before you ebam you'll have the choice to take them with you.. or let them die.

as for the suit, the choice is yours :P the "bubble" was just my way around forcing the player to wear a suit.

Custom Alien: Ask'kaar (took several keyboard smashes before I found something name wise I liked).. are my version of the Asari and Krogan mixed into one. (mass effect)

As for their appearence... I went with traditional trek and decided I'd just edit the nose/eyes/forehead and or ears.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just wanted to give a shout into this thread... if you haven't tried my mission, please do, and comments/questions are more than welcome.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited March 2013
    Little heads up for you... the Tholian captain has the ability to spawn a "Tholian Mine" .. when this mine explodes it will 1 hit kill anything within 10meters of its placement.

So.. be careful when using tholian captain mobs.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • enterprise629enterprise629 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Little heads up for you... the Tholian captain has the ability to spawn a "Tholian Mine" .. when this mine explodes it will 1 hit kill anything within 10meters of its placement.

I noticed that the any level Tholian space mobs are able to spawn Mirror Universe ships also, or so they have done during tests of my mission and live.

If I'm wrong, do correct me. Luckily I've tanggled that into my story. :3 :P
    edited March 2013

You can shoot the mine,... if you see it in time.

Also, the Tholian lieutenant have an KB ability that he enjoy to spam (like 4-5time in a row). This is really an annoying creature to fight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Subcommander is one word.... *head desk* now to ponder why I though it was two... back to the editing I go.

*Fixed the "Subcommanders"*

*Added a varity of ships to X spawn

*Fixed another gap in the cave walls
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wanted to add that many that I have played thus far have added new authors to my personal "go look for a mission by them when I have the time" list.

Whether I vote for you or not, and regardless of whatever star rating I give, I personally really appreciate all the entrants. Thanks for sharing them.

Peace, Love and Strawberry Ice Cream
    - John
    edited March 2013
    Depths of Nukara Prime - v0.4

Fixed several more known invisible wall faults.

Fixed several more spelling and grammer errors (Ran the mission with @emp1591 correcting spelling and grammer errors.)

Fixed the Tholian patrol routes (Tholian cruisers in the first map were flying away from the player :S)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • skydawnknightskydawnknight Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Wanted to add that many that I have played thus far have added new authors to my personal "go look for a mission by them when I have the time" list.

Whether I vote for you or not, and regardless of whatever star rating I give, I personally really appreciate all the entrants. Thanks for sharing them.

Peace, Love and Strawberry Ice Cream
    - John

Agreed. I've played through about half of them so far, and I'm having fun. It looks like a lot of creative effort went into each one. Makes me want to start combing through for any past missions some of the authors may have done.

On another note... thanks alot, Hippiejon. Now I have to go get Strawberry Ice Cream.... :mad:
    edited March 2013
    I still don't know for the mission I'll vote (down to 3), but no matter the result, I hope that The Tangled Webs We Weave will be spotlighted. As a first mission, it's very good, and can definitely compete with foundry veteran.
    On another note... thanks alot, Hippiejon. Now I have to go get Strawberry Ice Cream.... :mad:
    Bought some few days ago :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    I still don't know for the mission I'll vote (down to 3), but no matter the result, I hope that The Tangled Webs We Weave will be spotlighted. As a first mission, it's very good, and can definitely compete with foundry veteran.

Bought some few days ago :p

Aye, I like that one, to my knowledge its the first foundry mission to use the Klingon-Spoon head mirror alliance faction (who we will all agree upon went extinct XD o/ terrans o/)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I normally look at a foundry from the 3 points of view below then rate them accordingly, however that said, im stuck in a choice between three of them and I have no diea what to pick.

Map Design: Depths of Nukara Prime (custom ship and caves)

Mechanics: The Second Light (Shuttle trip)

Story: The Tangled Webs We Weave

So, well, I am open to bribes, but other than that, I cannot honestly pick between the three.
    edited March 2013
    I normally look at a foundry from the 3 points of view below then rate them accordingly, however that said, im stuck in a choice between three of them and I have no diea what to pick.

Map Design: Depths of Nukara Prime (custom ship and caves)

Mechanics: The Second Light (Shuttle trip)

Story: The Tangled Webs We Weave

So, well, I am open to bribes, but other than that, I cannot honestly pick between the three.
    I use 5 factors, and rate each on a scale of 0 to 7. then look to see which mission scores highest.

Story concept: This is just the basic concect of the story, not the specifics of how it's written.
    Story execution: This would be the specifics of how the story is written.
    map designs: How well thought out are the map designs? This is more of a conceptual thing than a technical thing.
    objective designs: How well thought out are the mission objectives?
    technical merit: How dazzling was the skill of the author in using the foundry tools to create the mission?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow, you guys are too kind :o

I'm thrilled to hear you liked my mission! I'm really having a hard time deciding where to put my vote too... Second Light had that amazingly good shuttle segment, Depths had great map design throughout, 404 had great storytelling (though I'm biased since my good friend Doug Glendower wrote it ;))...

I think I may have to give the top missions a second playthrough this weekend. When the subject matter is that fun, there's nothing wrong with doing a little extra research :D
    edited March 2013
    ashtaku wrote: »
    Wow, you guys are too kind :o

I'm thrilled to hear you liked my mission! I'm really having a hard time deciding where to put my vote too... Second Light had that amazingly good shuttle segment, Depths had great map design throughout, 404 had great storytelling (though I'm biased since my good friend Doug Glendower wrote it ;))...

I think I may have to give the top missions a second playthrough this weekend. When the subject matter is that fun, there's nothing wrong with doing a little extra research :D
    I also liked the story you wrote. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing