test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have no idea what to vore for...

my decisions been bouncing around between 3 choices.. I suppse the only way left is to get a group of 5 and elite it :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I normally look at a foundry from the 3 points of view below then rate them accordingly, however that said, im stuck in a choice between three of them and I have no diea what to pick.

Map Design: Depths of Nukara Prime (custom ship and caves)

Mechanics: The Second Light (Shuttle trip)

Story: The Tangled Webs We Weave

So, well, I am open to bribes, but other than that, I cannot honestly pick between the three.
    I selected the same in the end ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's the most recent breakdown numbers of reviews and star ratings.
    Listed in order of star ratings.
    name of mission -number of reviews- star rating

Crystallization -73 -4.36
    404 Error: Admiral Not Found -63 -4.35
    Wibbly Wobbly Earth -84 -4.32
    Depths of Nukara Prime -77 -4.27
    The Tangled Webs We Weave -61 -4.25
    The Anti-Lithera Machine -13 -4.15
    The Web on the Mirror -14 -4.14
    Do Cyrstal Spiders Dream? -16 -4
    The Second Light -30 -3.97
    Temporal Investigations -53 -3.94
    Land of Hope and Glory -48 -3.85
    The Tholian Transit Authority -14 -3.79
    Shrouded By Misfortune -12 -3.75
    Demons from the past -31 -3.29
    The Beta Rana Incident -16 -3.06
    Friend of my enemy -52 -2.23
    The Package -6 -1.5
    S.A.R (Tholians) -8 -1.12

3.57 average star rating for entire challenge
    44.44% have 4 stars or more
    Highest and lowest reviewed mission: 94 high compared to 6 low
    37.3 average number of reviews for entire challenge
    10 out of the 18 (or 55.6%) missions are below the average number of reviews.
  • enterprise629enterprise629 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    muaren wrote: »
    Here's the most recent breakdown numbers of reviews and star ratings.
    Listed in order of star ratings.
    name of mission -number of reviews- star rating

Crystallization -73 -4.36
    404 Error: Admiral Not Found -63 -4.35
    Wibbly Wobbly Earth -84 -4.32
    Depths of Nukara Prime -77 -4.27
    The Tangled Webs We Weave -61 -4.25
    The Anti-Lithera Machine -13 -4.15
    The Web on the Mirror -14 -4.14
    Do Cyrstal Spiders Dream? -16 -4
    The Second Light -30 -3.97
    Temporal Investigations -53 -3.94
    Land of Hope and Glory -48 -3.85
    The Tholian Transit Authority -14 -3.79
    Shrouded By Misfortune -12 -3.75
    Demons from the past -31 -3.29
    The Beta Rana Incident -16 -3.06
    Friend of my enemy -52 -2.23
    The Package -6 -1.5
    S.A.R (Tholians) -8 -1.12

3.57 average star rating for entire challenge
    44.44% have 4 stars or more
    Highest and lowest reviewed mission: 94 high compared to 6 low
    37.3 average number of reviews for entire challenge
    10 out of the 18 (or 55.6%) missions are below the average number of reviews.

Very nice to know of the numbers so far, but you (I think) also have to consider a factor which you can not measure: people who just click the "submit review" and keep the default of 3 stars (well, I think this happens, I'm unsure).

Good to know though, for those who have bothered to submit a review and a rating. Mine, Temporal Investigations - my first ever foundry mission has done well in my opinion, 1/2 up there. Not too bad for a 1st mission and foundry experience!

I don't think I have a chance of being spotlighted, but it's been a fun and great experience.

I know for sure when this is over I'll be adding a ton of extra things, maybe a new map or two - I just never had the time. Only found out about this 5 days before the voting started!

Whoops!!! XD

Dear Dev:

In future foundry challenges, although I'm a new author, one feature for the foundry competitions which would dramatically increase voting (from my opinion) would be to add an extra tab to the foundry selection. You'd have "Foundry Missions", "Review Content", and an added extra: "Foundry Challenge X".

I don't know how it would work in terms of how it'll get there, or how/when it should start the reward, but it would draw more attention to the missions.

I'm unsure if this has been suggested before, or if you can't do this and only list the missions on the forums, but imagine, it would be a lovely little add on. Just saying!
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Very nice to know of the numbers so far, but you (I think) also have to consider a factor which you can not measure: people who just click the "submit review" and keep the default of 3 stars (well, I think this happens, I'm unsure).

I don't think I have a chance of being spotlighted, but it's been a fun and great experience.

Dear Dev:

In future foundry challenges, although I'm a new author, one feature for the foundry competitions which would dramatically increase voting (from my opinion) would be to add an extra tab to the foundry selection. You'd have "Foundry Missions", "Review Content", and an added extra: "Foundry Challenge X".

1. The star rating, I've found, has nothing to do with who will win the challenge. Many, many times the winner isn't the top rated or even in the top three.
    I think you have a great shot at being spotlighted. You're basically at a 4 star rating which is really good and really hard to do within the Foundry. You should be very proud of that.

2. Adding a Foundry Challenge tab I think would be great for the challenges. Not sure how doable it is but still a great idea.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There is no default rating anymore :) It was changed some time ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    muaren wrote: »
    1. The star rating, I've found, has nothing to do with who will win the challenge. Many, many times the winner isn't the top rated or even in the top three.
    I think you have a great shot at being spotlighted. You're basically at a 4 star rating which is really good and really hard to do within the Foundry. You should be very proud of that.

2. Adding a Foundry Challenge tab I think would be great for the challenges. Not sure how doable it is but still a great idea.

1) I know it has nothing to do with voting, but I mean, you can't exactly make an overall statistic based on the reviews on how well each mission is doing (in terms of reviews given) if the default 3 stars thing is true. I've heard about something along the lines of that on a few podcasts, that's all. :P There statistics only based on data currently available, which is good to know also!

Thanks for the compliment, but yeah, it is down to people who vote.

Edit:
    erei1 wrote: »
    There is no default rating anymore :) It was changed some time ago.

Thank you! I had no idea!

Not being biased or anything, but missions such as "Wibbly Wobby Earth", which I have played, has defiantly gained a good sum of fans due to the use of Doctor Who. Yes, I love DW too, but this is trek. It's a lovely mission but I rated it 3 stars.

+5 for space combat and Andoria map, loved that. However, -2 since Earth Academy scene I felt just wasn't needed in my opinion - an ambush would of worked just fine, plus it was too much Who for a Trek story in my opinion. But, we all have our views and what not.

2) Totally agreed, like I said, no idea how or if, but it would defiantly help the contest a great deal.

But if something like this does come, I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated by the players, not so sure about the vote counting team... considering there's apparently 12 million captains... I for one would be afraid of millions of emails detailing everyone's vote as the competition is more exposed. XD haha!

Again, good luck everyone!
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear @diogene:

I really would like to leave some comments about your mission.

First off all: it was great. I enjoyed it a lot.

It was the first foundry mission I've played which suggested a specific soundtrack (well a few days ago I played "Treasure of Argellius II pt.1" where the author suggested to turn of all the music but your idea was different).

Most of the time when I play foundry missions I listen to (movie) soundtracks in the background because they "support" my immersion. In your case it also supported that immersion. I've never heard about the musician before but after a while I realised that at least I knew his songs.

Anyway. Thank you for a new musician on my playlist :)

I am not sure if it was your intention but you wrote in the starting dialogue something about "theatre" (I am not a native speaker but I know that this word has several meanings in english) so my first impression was something like Shakespeare, actors and a stage. Overreacting players/actors, emotions, the final talk with that andorian embassador and especially the music gave me the feeling of beeing part of some kind of stage play.

On the one hand it was different compared to the other missions on the other hand very refreshing and entertaining.

Again: thank you.

Greetings Nahari
  • soracdunarsoracdunar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've played several so far, but no where near all of them. So I have to reserved judgement for a while, but I have enjoyed all of the ones I've played so far. I will say that two so far are on my replay list for voting so far.

As for my own mission, I encourage anyone to feel free to email me in game with feedback. I only had about a week to pull the whole thing together so the set redressing was poor in some instances, and the use of the Tholians was pretty stock, but I hope at the least it's an entertaining mission.

Anyway, thanks to everyone whose missions I have played and who has played my mission so far.

-Sorac
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear @diogene:

I really would like to leave some comments about your mission.

First off all: it was great. I enjoyed it a lot.

It was the first foundry mission I've played which suggested a specific soundtrack (well a few days ago I played "Treasure of Argellius II pt.1" where the author suggested to turn of all the music but your idea was different).

Most of the time when I play foundry missions I listen to (movie) soundtracks in the background because they "support" my immersion. In your case it also supported that immersion. I've never heard about the musician before but after a while I realised that at least I knew his songs.

Anyway. Thank you for a new musician on my playlist :)

I am not sure if it was your intention but you wrote in the starting dialogue something about "theatre" (I am not a native speaker but I know that this word has several meanings in english) so my first impression was something like Shakespeare, actors and a stage. Overreacting players/actors, emotions, the final talk with that andorian embassador and especially the music gave me the feeling of beeing part of some kind of stage play.

On the one hand it was different compared to the other missions on the other hand very refreshing and entertaining.

Again: thank you.

Greetings Nahari

I'm glad someone followed my advice, the soundtrack I suggest can really help a lot to set up the drama.

I've been to the theatre many times during the last months, and I've been listening to many baroque operas. This mission was designed to be a baroque drama, nothing more. This may be why it's vastly unpopular (with my poor english spelling skills and the too little time i devoted to spell checking). In no way it's supposed to be anything else.

I'm happy someone got it. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I'm glad someone followed my advice, the soundtrack I suggest can really help a lot to set up the drama.

I've been to the theatre many times during the last months, and I've been listening to many baroque operas. This mission was designed to be a baroque drama, nothing more. This may be why it's vastly unpopular (with my poor english spelling skills and the too little time i devoted to spell checking). In no way it's supposed to be anything else.

I thought it was pretty good. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013

Something that a few authors have done is get others to help edit mission dialogue. The easiest way of course is to edit it before it goes into the mission. I helped edit Woody Valley's latest and it was quite difficult doing it in a playthrough. Would be much easier if, like me, you write out most everything in a word processor before copying it into the Foundry. Not everybody writes like that of course, but in any case a second or even third pair of eyes helps spelling/grammar/punctuation immensely.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited March 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Something that a few authors have done is get others to help edit mission dialogue. The easiest way of course is to edit it before it goes into the mission. I helped edit Woody Valley's latest and it was quite difficult doing it in a playthrough. Would be much easier if, like me, you write out most everything in a word processor before copying it into the Foundry. Not everybody writes like that of course, but in any case a second or even third pair of eyes helps spelling/grammar/punctuation immensely.

being british i've been using a spell checker to put it into american-english.. though i'll be honest and say English wasn't my best subject anyway... im on eyes #4 now :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

No I do that most of the times because I need to work like that to see spelling mistakes. But in no way i'd ask for help to someone else on that matter, it wouldn't be fair since it's a contest and anyway, who has enough time to do that on other people's missions? :o
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited March 2013
    No I do that most of the times because I need to work like that to see spelling mistakes. But in no way i'd ask for help to someone else on that matter, it wouldn't be fair since it's a contest.

Yeah I suppose that wouldn't be quite be in the spirit of the contest :) But you could on other missions or after the contest voting period ends.
    who has enough time to do that on other people's missions? :o

I make the time if someone asks, and there's other folks around who might be willing.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited March 2013
    hmmm, do you charge energy credits, lockbox keys?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited March 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    hmmm, do you charge energy credits, lockbox keys?

To unlock my editing feature, you must reach level 55, produce 16 Foundry missions and get to T5 rep with the Shadowy Foundry Author Cabal. Then you must complete the special "Drogyn Editing" feature project that requires 200 lockbox keys, 47 trillion dilithium and 3 large hyposprays.
    edited March 2013
    To unlock my editing feature, you must reach level 55, produce 16 Foundry missions and get to T5 rep with the Shadowy Foundry Author Cabal. Then you must complete the special "Drogyn Editing" feature project that requires 200 lockbox keys, 47 trillion dilithium and 3 large hyposprays.

well.... *%@# :o
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Ah, no problem!... wait, did you say three large hypos? What the heck is this?!?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited March 2013
    having a "hmm" moment atm.. is Subcommander one word.. Subcommander or two (Sub commander) ? or is either acceptable? spell checker seems to hate both... cryptic uses Subcommander.. so I assume it's that?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited March 2013
    Memory Alpha lists it as one word.
    edited March 2013
    Memory Alpha lists it as one word.

right... just ran all the text in my mission through the open office spell checker.. boy did I make a lot of mistakes...

regardless

Depths of Nukara Prime v0.5 - Fixed a smeg load of spelling errors
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it just me, or is Q400's mission pulled?

I was going through the list of missions I still have to play for the Contest, and I noticed that his seems not to show up anymore, or in author handle searches.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited March 2013
    Is it just me, or is Q400's mission pulled?

I was going through the list of missions I still have to play for the Contest, and I noticed that his seems not to show up anymore, or in author handle searches.

I couldn't find it either. So you're not the only one!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    looks like it...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2013
    See this is what happens when BranFlakes goes on vacation...
    edited March 2013
    looks like it...
    See this is what happens when BranFlakes goes on vacation...

Whose to say the author hasn't withdrawn it? Or maybe, disqualified for some unknown reason?

Anyways, hopefully we'll get an update soon. Try PMing the author?
    edited March 2013
    Was a joke, though perhaps not a very good one.

In any case you are absolutely right though we need to try and get a hold of him. Is he now q403 on the forums? (stupid forum wipe)
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Was a joke, though perhaps not a very good one.

In any case you are absolutely right though we need to try and get a hold of him. Is he now q403 on the forums? (stupid forum wipe)

Just message him in-game, he/she will probally get it quicker that way mate :)

I am just finishing my spelling check (UK > US) of my mission, will let you guys know when i have posted :)
    And you will be glad to know baby is doing fine, pooping like a trooper... Earlier I looked down and thought it was the Great Link in her Nappy!! :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just message him in-game, he/she will probally get it quicker that way mate :)

I am just finishing my spelling check (UK > US) of my mission, will let you guys know when i have posted :)
    And you will be glad to know baby is doing fine, pooping like a trooper... Earlier I looked down and thought it was the Great Link in her Nappy!! :D

And... gross.
    Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]