test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• probe1171probe1171 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wibbley Wobbley Earth, Depths of Nukara Prime, Do Crystal Spiders Deam?, Second Light, Webs we weave.

^^

all good, while some master where others dont quite rule... I wont be voting.. all of these entrys are so good.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm honoured, thanks :) First published mission is doing well, it seems.

"The Anti-Litherea Machine" should be added to that list. It's my personal favourite for its compelling Trek-like story - although my voting criteria probably won't like the dialogue boxes.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm honoured, thanks :) First published mission is doing well, it seems.

"The Anti-Litherea Machine" should be added to that list. It's my personal favourite for its compelling Trek-like story - although my voting criteria probably won't like the dialogue boxes.

Thanks for that shout out, honoured as welll. My first published mission as well. And if it is about the spelling errors, believe me I kicked myself over and over for that one. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for that shout out, honoured as welll. My first published mission as well. And if it is about the spelling errors, believe me I kicked myself over and over for that one. :)

Not a problem. And haha I've heard I have some as well, I'll be going through it after the contest voting window closes.
  • i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Package

***update>>> log: 16 / 3 / 13
    • tried fixing useless companions on maps.
    • tried to fix spelling.
    • replaced couple encounters on some maps.
    • added call for reinforcements to couple maps.
    • moved spawn point to try fixing disappearing npcs.
    • removed 2 kill objectives.
    • removed exit map to finish. * This now completes on completion of last objective.
    • Moved couple mob spawn points. *
    • moved couple objects around.
    • moved 2 objective locations *since spawn point was moved.

No plot was changed still same.

couple maps had AWAY TEAM and enemies disappearing... hopefully fixed that.
    objective locations moved.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Depths of Nukara Prime.

Fixed more invisible wall gaps.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • enterprise629enterprise629 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All I've changed is the spelling in mine - just correcting what I can and what I can see.

Got my first 1 star review yesterday. He/She says that the use of dialogue was like kids speak. >.< :(

So I emailed him/her back, saying I had 5 days to learn and create the mission, as I had no idea about the challenge and I'm new to the forums and foundry, so I chose to use simple and understandable dialogue so all ages and ethnicity can understand no matter how basic or advance their skill is with English.

Also, I asked if it is so, why don't they give me alternatives to use in a future update after the competition has ended! XD

I doubt I'd get an mail back. But I'm beginning to question, was this just a "troll"? Has anyone else had a similar problem? O.o
    edited March 2013
    All I've changed is the spelling in mine - just correcting what I can and what I can see.

Got my first 1 star review yesterday, from ********* He/She says that the use of dialogue was like kids speak. >.< :(

So I emailed him/her back, saying I had 5 days to learn and create the mission, as I had no idea about the challenge and I'm new to the forums and foundry, so I chose to use simple and understandable dialogue so all ages and ethnicity can understand no matter how basic or advance their skill is with English.

Also, I asked if it is so, why don't they give me alternatives to use in a future update after the competition has ended! XD

I doubt I'd get an mail back. But I'm beginning to question, was this just a "troll"? Has anyone else had a similar problem? O.o

I recommend you edit your post and remove their user name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    I recommend you edit your post and remove their user name.

Done, my intentions weren't to put anyone in the spotlight, if you know what I mean.

But thanks anyways (Y)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. You will always earn 1star rating, no matter how good your mission is, or how many people will like it.

You already are lucky to have a comment. Most 1star rating doesn't have one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    I would have to agree. Getting any kind of response is considered good, compared to the 1-star bombers who don't leave anything behind to be reported for.
    edited March 2013
    Update:

I got an email back, thankfully :) with some tips for any future missions etc, turns out my mission just wasn't for him/her and completely understood why I approached using "simple" dialogue now.

All is good!

Not long now until it's all over eh?!
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Update:

I got an email back, thankfully :) with some tips for any future missions etc, turns out my mission just wasn't for him/her and completely understood why I approached using "simple" dialogue now.

All is good!

Not long now until it's all over eh?!

Now if they had put that in their feedback instead of leaving it blank, but at least they got back to you which is good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
    edited March 2013
    I've now completed all but four of the Foundry Missions (will have them all done tonight). I will post a detailed list of each mission's strengths and weaknesses shortly, unless there are any objections.

Suffice it to say, in general I am impressed with the quality of the missions that were made for the Contest. Given the 45 minute time restriction, 1 month mapmaking restriction, etc, in general the quality of these missions is terrific.

Granted, there are missions in this lineup that are irritating or boring to play through, but I'm sure that this will be a huge learning experience for those authors - and even the authors who have made great missions, or up-and-coming STO Foundry mission authors such as myself.

Again, great work everyone, and best of luck in the Contest! :)
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've now completed all but four of the Foundry Missions (will have them all done tonight). I will post a detailed list of each mission's strengths and weaknesses shortly, unless there are any objections.

Suffice it to say, in general I am impressed with the quality of the missions that were made for the Contest. Given the 45 minute time restriction, 1 month mapmaking restriction, etc, in general the quality of these missions is terrific.

Granted, there are missions in this lineup that are irritating or boring to play through, but I'm sure that this will be a huge learning experience for those authors - and even the authors who have made great missions, or up-and-coming STO Foundry mission authors such as myself.

Again, great work everyone, and best of luck in the Contest! :)

Looking forward to reading your after-action report, SD. I'll try to do the same if time permits.
    edited March 2013
    It is crunch time isn't it, I look forward to your observations as well. I think everyone here is looking forward to any input what so ever. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Damn, didn't get to finish them all, got one done only. Will finish tonight - since voting day is tomorrow.

And keep in mind, my reviews won't be picking your missions apart, it's just a short paragraph or two (or three). :)
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wonder... did any of you guys finished the mission S.A.R.?

EDIT: I dropped it after learning that after 12 Devidians I have to fight 16 Tholians... Sorry. This mission was far away from beeing fun.
    edited March 2013
    I've read via reviews that combat is pretty much the basis for that mission. I nevertheless must play through as much of it as I can... *shivers*
    edited March 2013

EDIT: I dropped it after learning that after 12 Devidians I have to fight 16 Tholians... Sorry. This mission was far away from beeing fun.

My fleet was running it with a 5-man team and we got stuck in the Tholian level. The starting spawn put half our team in the guardhouse, leaving only three of our guys to fight all 16 Captain groups. At first we were able to kite them back to the start room and get crossfire from the guardhouse, but the deeper ones just weren't feasible with only three guys.

That said, I liked how the author combined the crystal scenery with the IGE map for the Devidian level.
    edited March 2013
    I've read via reviews that combat is pretty much the basis for that mission. I nevertheless must play through as much of it as I can... *shivers*

Good luck.
    edited March 2013
    ashtaku wrote: »
    My fleet was running it with a 5-man team and we got stuck in the Tholian level. The starting spawn put half our team in the guardhouse, leaving only three of our guys to fight all 16 Captain groups. At first we were able to kite them back to the start room and get crossfire from the guardhouse, but the deeper ones just weren't feasible with only three guys.

That said, I liked how the author combined the crystal scenery with the IGE map for the Devidian level.

By the way: your mission was the second last on my list so I played it today. In other words it was my final episode of this challenge. In my opinion it really caught the spirit of a Tholian oriented theme: Tholians, mystery, mirror universe, space rifts and so on. Thank you for giving me a good time in STO and a well done "ending" of challenge #6.

The only thing I don't understand is why it didn't qualify for the Dillithium rewards. It has enough playthroughs and an overall 4/5 star rating and it takes more than 15 minutes.
    edited March 2013
    The only thing I don't understand is why it didn't qualify for the Dillithium rewards. It has enough playthroughs and an overall 4/5 star rating and takes more than 15 minutes.

It appears to be a Foundry bug. I'm told it's being looked into, but I haven't heard anything about it recently. :(
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I was unable to do it. I stopped at the same point, after 12 devidians boss encounter, I wasn't able to push myself to fight 16 tholians boss encounter.

Especially considering the Tholians spawn are close, and multi aggro is easy. Also considering the OS mine the boss use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well I published my intended Entry ladies and germs, but in the process of updating the dialogue and enviroments I have caused quite a few errors. I will address these in the next few days. ;)

'Beneath the Raptors Wings II'

Oh and well done everyone for your entrys, I had a fun few days playing them inbetween the nappy changing :rolleyes: And a thumbs up to Brandons last interview, cool to hear abit about the mystery man. :)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    edited March 2013
    Hopefully finishing the missions now. Kinda busy doing that and giving myself a tutorial on STODemoRecord, lol.

Mystery man?

EDIT: Finished, will be posting reports within the next 7 days.
    edited March 2013
    Despite participating, I cannot vote fairly. Unfortunately the eventualities of life (good things) got in the way of completing all of the missions. I still look forward to playing them but now outside the competition.

I wish luck to everyone at the end of this nine week adventure and wait anxiously for the results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paracetamoxyfrusparacetamoxyfrus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I had fun with several of these. Custom made maps have been epic (shuttle interior, caves etc)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Depths of Nukara Prime

v0.7

Fixed more spelling errors.

Fixed the roof in the Ask'kaar ship.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited March 2013
    We have a winner! Check out this post for details: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=845401

Congratulations to all! Everyone did a FANTASTIC job! :) You're all winners in my book.

I am going to unstick this, but feel fee to keep discussing this challenge in this thread! Challenge #7 will be posted next week.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=