test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Foundry Challenge #6 : Beyond the Web
This is the comments thread for Foundry Challenge #6 : Beyond the Web.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked.

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just a reminder to everybody, the Tholian mobs are hitting holodeck tomorrow. (Not sure about the NPC contacts, though.)

The vague details will sure make for some nice variety. I'll try to make one. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    Keep in mind also that we have no Tholian NPC contacts (ground or space) only combat mobs. So we can't put actual Tholian models in dialogue and cannot reskin other groups or single NPCs as Tholians.

edit: Oops guess psychoticvulcan already covered that.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    Just a reminder to everybody, the Tholian mobs are hitting holodeck tomorrow. (Though the NPC contacts would be nice too.)

The vague details will sure make for some nice variety. I'll try to make one. :)

I've seen a few posts about NPC contacts, but I've not seen anywhere in-game where you actually speak to a Tholian (sans for the one-off that hails you when you enter the Tau Dewa Red Alert). I'm thinking this is intentional, just like you probably wouldn't talk to a Salt Vampire.

Either way, I'm sure you all will get creative ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've seen a few posts about NPC contacts, but I've not seen anywhere in-game where you actually speak to a Tholian (sans for the one-off that hails you when you enter the Tau Dewa Red Alert). I'm thinking this is intentional, just like you probably wouldn't talk to a Salt Vampire.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

No talking to Salt vampires?

There goes my Twilight/Star Trek cross over :(
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, just like how Terminators are people too, so are Tholians...

They're people who don't LIKE us and often want to kill us, but they're people with goals and motives and such. IF they had a reason to, they could try to use diplomacy, in theory anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We do have canon instances of people talking to Tholians. Dark Mirror I think.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You do know that there are many Tholian ambassadors almost everywhere in the galaxy in canon? :rolleyes:

Tholians are supposedly sentient beings, not zombies. So you can talk to them and they can talk to you. Just not in STO.

Starting this challenge without Tholian npc contact isn't reasonable. And we need space mobs too. Will we get them?
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    You do know that there are many Tholian ambassadors almost everywhere in the galaxy in canon? :rolleyes:

Tholians are supposedly sentient beings, not TRIBBLE zombies. So you can talk to them and they can talk to you. Just not in STO.

Starting this challenge without Tholian npc contact isn't reasonable. And we need space mobs too. Will we get them?

Agreed we need to be able to talk to them. And yeah space mobs are in the patch, which I assume will go live tomorrow.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013

Tholians are supposedly sentient beings, not zombies. So you can talk to them and they can talk to you. Just not in STO.

Again, knowing the Foundry community, I'm sure you can get creative if you'd really would like to be able to have the player speak to a Tholian. This is a Foundry Challenge, emphasis on challenge ;) Make it work with what you have. :) I can personally think of several ways to go about this.

Space mobs are live on Tribble.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Space Mobs we are apparently getting this week with the ground mobs.
    But I could not agree more.
    We simply do not have the assets to make this a reasonable challenge.

Without contacts, the only way Tholians can actually appear in our missions is as an enemy mob group. Doesn't make for very good storytelling or the ability to make compelling villains if all they can do is shoot at you.

Also, we know the Tholian bridge is available In Game.
    It would sure be nice to have access to it for a challenge based around the Tholians.

Just my initial reaction to the challenge as posted.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    We do have canon instances of people talking to Tholians. Dark Mirror I think.
    And in their very first appearance anywhere, ever!!!! Yes that's right: the Tholian web. Loskene hailed the Enterprise and talked to them long enough to order them to leave. He even negotiated with Spock for a form of compromise. (Spock asked Loskene for enough time to rescue Kirk from the Interphase rift. Loskene accepted, but Spock didn't get Kirk free in time. Then Loskene attacked.)

It's not a lot but it definately shows that the Tholians aren't a true monster race...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Again, knowing the Foundry community, I'm sure you can get creative if you'd really would like to be able to have the player speak to a Tholian. This is a Foundry Challenge, emphasis on challenge ;) Make it work with what you have. :) I can personally think of several ways to go about this.

Space mobs are live on Tribble.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Yes of course we could use several workarounds. But this combined to the lack of tholian assets will make this a real challenge. It's hard not to make them invading some random fed or kdf place and just having the player kicking their asses.

At least it would be great if we could have ONE Tholian contact. Even if it's just an ensign. I know the foundry isn't perfect and that we have to use workaround but it's rather silly to force them to use tremendous amounts of time to compensate such a critical lack of assets. I know i have to use workarounds to create my missions but it's never a pleasure to do that. It's a chore. Not something we enjoy.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    TEASER - BENEATH THE RAPTORS WING II

Temporal Investigations Audio Log A-786-98

Interviewer: "You look tired, you feeling well enough to proceed?"
    Player: "I am tired, but I'll be O.K."

Interviewer: "How long do you think it's been?"
    Player: "I don't know, days, weeks maybe."

Interviewer: "Sensor logs from Columbia state you was away for approximantly thirty-two point six seconds."
    Player: "We both know that time is relative, why am I still here?"

Interviewer: "You stated in your report that it was a Romulan named Valdore that commanded the Romulan Intruders,
    however a deck by deck sensor sweep has found no traces of him onboard. Care to explain".
    Player: "What, I restrained him myself, if he isn't there then we have to look for him immediantly, let me talk to your superior".
    Interviewer: "Calm down Captain, we arn't finished here yet, now..."
    Player: {Raised Voice} "Would you listen to me, if we don't track him down soon then all this, the Federation, your precious Agency, possibly the Terran Species won't of even existed".

End Log
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This maybe a stupid question... but... are the tholians in the foundry (holodeck)? I've got 2 missions that are awaiting the tholians and spell checking (it will be in british english.. not this crazy american version)

nvm read the posts above
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Personally, I think it's a great idea to force you to story think out of the box. That is, not having dialog options for them yet. I think there is possibilities for more engaging and worth while villains if they don't come out and monolog at you.

I agree they are not a monster race, but, in all the times they have spoken they make the phrase "of few words" too long. They make the Spartans look like wordy diplomats with their famous responses.

This is meant to be a challenge as much as a contest. Challenge yourself if you think they only way you can have a villain is if they explain themselves and taunt their opponent. Heck, I want to see a challenge that is simply, there is no villain. You can fight and all, it doesn't need to be just diplomacy, but the conflict isn't from some BBEG. Case in point, I don't think removing any of the Dividian taunting dialog in the Drozana series would ruin them as badguys. In fact, I think it'd make them stronger. Who negotiates with cattle?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well it is called the Foundry Challenge after all! :D

All the more popular bad guys in the franchise have minimal dialogue either to progress the story line or to deliver some mood building intimidation to the situation.

The Tholians in the 'Tholian Web' and 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.
    The Gorn in 'Arena' and again in 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.
    Then there's the more recent Borg, Undine and even the early Dominion.

It wasn't until the characters got more dialogue that they became less intimidating.
    The Dominion when they started more interacting, the Borg in Star Trek Voyager and then
    later with the Undine when they're discovered simulating Starfleet Command.

So like designationxr377 said; "Who negotiates with cattle?"
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do not fully retract my previous statements.
    I still wish we were getting more Tholian stuff to play with for this challenge then just mobs, but ... I do see the emphasis on the word challenge.
    Good Luck all.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    snip

I didn't say it was impossible, i said it has more to do with a "Be a Foundry MacGyver" rather than a challenge. We're supposed to create a mission involving Tholians with a string and a knife, without any Tholian prop, no contact, just a couple of mobs and that's it.

Anyway i've got a script i like now, but it won't be easy to make it work.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well it is called the Foundry Challenge after all! :D

All the more popular bad guys in the franchise have minimal dialogue either to progress the story line or to deliver some mood building intimidation to the situation.

The Tholians in the 'Tholian Web' and 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.
    The Gorn in 'Arena' and again in 'In a Mirror, Darkly'.
    Then there's the more recent Borg, Undine and even the early Dominion.

It wasn't until the characters got more dialogue that they became less intimidating.
    The Dominion when they started more interacting, the Borg in Star Trek Voyager and then
    later with the Undine when they're discovered simulating Starfleet Command.

So like designationxr377 said; "Who negotiates with cattle?"
    Still, it undermines the fact that they're PEOPLE, and not just monsters out to eat your liver.....

I actually came up with an approach that should work reasonably well. All Tholian dialogue gets relayed via a somewhat crude version of the UT which spits out text instead of voice. Thus giving me an excuse for having the SciBoff as the contact.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It also makes it impossible to have friendly Tholian mobs. So we can't do any stories with friendly Tholians, which is honestly something I've wanted to do.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Okay let me get this straight... this is my first time entering one of these... we cant publish our mission until the 27th febuary? ( I assume this is allow for a fair ammoutn of time for all the missions etc?)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Correct, there's some leeway though for like people in the military who can only get online at certain times, they can publish the night before I think.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I get that it's a challenge for a reason, but there is a difference between a reasonable and unreasonable challenge.

I'm sitting this one out. It's basically asking me to create reasons to kill 5/5 Tholians and attribute the plot to an evil Romulan or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Correct, there's some leeway though for like people in the military who can only get online at certain times, they can publish the night before I think.

No it's doable, but it requires ridiculous workarounds like forcefields, invisible walls, etc. I'll use them shamelessly, and it's going to be ugly, but at least i can blame BranFlakes for the topic of this challenge. If i didn't have an idea i love i'd be out of this one. Next time i'll boycott it no matter what if such a stupid topic is choosen.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think you might have meant to quote something else there?

Though I would say, just because we are the Kings of Workarounds doesn't mean we have to like it.
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, it's far from ideal, and we should have been given basic contacts before this challenge was issued, but some very good stories have come out of "work-arounds."

*Jaws is 10 times the movie it would have been if the mechanical shark had functioned properly. It took a fishy Godzilla movie and turned it into a Hitchcock style thriller.

*ST only had transporters because they ran out of money before they got around to making a shuttlecraft model and set.

*The old-school Dr. Who was as fun as it was mainly because that most of the cast and crew likely had more money in their pockets individually than was budgeted for the entire episode's shoot, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I'm sitting this one out. It's basically asking me to create reasons to kill 5/5 Tholians and attribute the plot to an evil Romulan or something.

Yeah, cause that story would be stupid, who would do that... :rolleyes:

Im really glad to see the TOS consoles myself, I've had a mission sat in my Foundry Roster for the past five months because I've been waiting for those to finish it of.
    Next Request; Facility 4028 pieces... cause they were/are soo much more... as the Doctor would say... "Sexy" :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Well, it's far from ideal, and we should have been given basic contacts before this challenge was issued, but some very good stories have come out of "work-arounds."

*Jaws is 10 times the movie it would have been if the mechanical shark had functioned properly. It took a fishy Godzilla movie and turned it into a Hitchcock style thriller.

*ST only had transporters because they ran out of money before they got around to making a shuttlecraft model and set.

*The old-school Dr. Who was as fun as it was mainly because that most of the cast and crew likely had more money in their pockets individually than was budgeted for the entire episode's shoot, etc.
    I agree that sometimes "less is more". But.... the rest of the time More is More.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will the Tholian ships be available as NPC Contacts?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How about 3 vice admirals sitting around a campfire and telling stories and jokes about Tholians. Then they put out the fire and go to sleep to their tents. Literally.

For example,
    Admiral 1: How many Tholians do you need to TRIBBLE in a lightbulb?
    Admiral 2: What is a lightbulb?

This is a peaceful mission dealing with Tholians and the props to do that are all in the foundry.

Also for this you don't need Tholians as well:
    Make a mission revolving around Klingons. And at the end, reveal that the Klingons were in fact Undine. Then in a double cross, revel that the Undine were in fact masked Tholians. And then reveal that the masked Tholians were in fact nice Tholians from the mirror universe, who were forced to do what they did by the Iconians. Who, on the other hand, were controlled by Sela, who took control of the Iconians in a Coup d'?tat. Then, during the debriefing, a Section 31 agent shows up and informs the player, that Sela was blackmailed by Section 31 to play along. Finally, the mission ends with cliffhanger: a shady Klingon guy gives something to the Section 31 agent who salutes and leaves.

We are the weavers of shadowy phantasms. The merchants of dark rainbows burst into the glowing pulsating murk of the night!