What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Mirror Ships are only summoned by the Rifts that occasionally spawn from Tholian Warp Core Breeches. It's not an ability they can initiate on their own, nor is it something that happens with much frequency. It happens only upon the moment of their death.

OMG that is actually kinda cool, creative juices flowing!... What kind of core would cause this? (A Dimensionally Shifted Tricobalt Reactor)?

I'm kinda regretting my sequel idea now, all my ideas arn't compatible :( lol

Hope you dont mind but I shared this info with everyone; http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=522351.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Thank you very, very much for giving us this info.

So Tholian frigates have no chance of summoning this rift when they get destroyed? Do I have that correct?

Correct :)

P.S. Sorry for thinking that it was a power they could use on a whim. See! I even learn something new everyday :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    P.S. Sorry for thinking that it was a power they could use on a whim. See! I even learn something new everyday :cool:

Everyday is a school day! :D

A query about the Rights which I think I know the answer to but wanted to make certain...
    In STO Leonard Nemoys Voice is used and soon Denise Crosby however you don't see Spocks Face... Those that mean if the Original Enterprise (For Example) makes an appearance like in "Past Perfect" I can have Dialogue from Spock but no Face!??

Also what about Scotty and Mckoy, they are both in the game, can we use their likeness?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yes that's allowed. (and you do see spock's face in the opening video :P)
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    7. Could I write a mission in which the player opens a channel and has a long, drawn out conversation with Picard? I would use a costume of a ship to represent him in the popup dialog.

Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of Star Trek Properties.

From the FAQ thread.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    rangerryu wrote: »
    yes that's allowed. (and you do see spock's face in the opening video :P)

Smart A**e :p lol
    Great now I'm gonna be spending HOURS getting it right! lol
    I'm gonna be soo sick of Nemoys face! lol
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    But remember you can't use a face that looks substantially like Nimoy's. He might have given likeness rights to Cryptic, but that doesn't cover us as I understand it. McCoy and Scotty in game don't look at all like the actors (even with the actors being deceased, I imagine their estates could sue) nor does old man Worf.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Smart A**e :p lol
    Great now I'm gonna be spending HOURS getting it right! lol
    I'm gonna be soo sick of Nemoys face! lol

Re-read the above posts ;) I think you might have read that wrong as you can't use his likeness.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hmmm so.. the explosion opens a rift to the mirror universe drawing in a ship alligned to the terrans... so.. if 2 of the same ships were to explode in both unvierse at the same time.. we would have a doorway back and fourth between the mirror and prime universes...

hmmm thats something I could work with at a later date.

Okay the Mirror ship that spawns is technically "Tholian" is that to stop them from shooting the Tholians or will we get more specifics on that later (captured mirror ships, terran-tholian alliance, etc?) ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So I can have a #spock, just one that looks nothing like Leonard Nemoy!?
    Like this; http://www.stowiki.org/File:Spock2.png
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Re-read the above posts ;) I think you might have read that wrong as you can't use his likeness.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Okay...can we have a Spock as an NPC Contact? :D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So I can have a #spock, just one that looks nothing like Leonard Nemoy!?
    Like this; http://www.stowiki.org/File:Spock2.png
    Okay...can we have a Spock as an NPC Contact? :D

No; likenesses are not allowed in Foundry missions. Worf is available because it's not a likeness to Michael Dorn (i.e. you can't tell that Worf is Michael Dorn).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    No; likenesses are not allowed in Foundry missions. Worf is available because it's not a likeness to Michael Dorn (i.e. you can't tell that Worf is Michael Dorn).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

What about "Romulan Ensign Female 01"? She looks a lot like Denise Crosby to me.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What about "Romulan Ensign Female 01"? She looks a lot like Denise Crosby to me.

If it looks like someone, don't use it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the clarification. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    One more then I'll drop it lol :o
    Would these Spocks be ok?... I basically copied the one In-Game and then aged him, I even changed a couple of the facial to make it 'less' like Nemoy!

Possible Spocks (link).

I'm only making a fuss because it was going to be a cool cameo to liven up a battle.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    One more then I'll drop it lol :o
    Would these Spocks be ok?... I basically copied the one In-Game and then aged him, I even changed a couple of the facial to make it 'less' like Nemoy!

Possible Spocks (link).

I'm only making a fuss because it was going to be a cool cameo to liven up a battle.

No; they wouldn't be okay. Any vulcan male you make with the name Spock is going to have likeness issues. I would come up with something else to be safe -- maybe a long lost descendant or family member of Spock.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Not even if it's the same model used in Cryptic STO missions for Sela? Cutting the Cord has a dialogue box for Sela, complete with visual.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I think life would be a lot easier for you and authors if you guys could toss a bunch of prefab characters into the Foundry contact costumes (ie. Worf, S1 Worf, assorted Klingons, etc.) and then took the more clear stance of, "Don't remake characters seen onscreen in the IP unless we provide you with one."

Maybe have a special naming convention.

Like:

"Canon - Worf - 2409"

That might mess with my Picard mission (where I tried to hide it from looking like Patrick Stewart) but it would be clearer.

Then again, to make it explicit, you could add:

"Canon - Picard - 2409" and just have it be a male in an EV suit. And "Canon - Picard - TNG Era" as a generic male in a First Contact EV suit.

There ya go. If all uses of characters from the shows have to be from a Cryptic-approved costume list, all you do then is supply generic EV suits with the name attached. So authors know, "Okay. I can use Worf but he has to be wearing a Cryptic approved costume. I can use Picard but the only approved costumes have him in EV suits."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Not even if it's the same model used in Cryptic STO missions for Sela? Cutting the Cord has a dialogue box for Sela, complete with visual.

Re-quoting myself: If it looks like someone, don't use it. :) I'm not 100% sure, as I am no lawyer, but we may have special authorization to use it and that authorization can not be given to Foundry authors. In the end, just don't risk it and don't use it if it looks like someone. Again, going off the EULA FAQ thread, characters who were in makeup and costumes where you can not tell who they really are (i.e. their likenss, e.g. Worf) should be okay.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey Borticus and BranFlakes !

You both rock !

Thanks very much for the clarifications.

Peace
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What exactly does the "Tholian Tetryon Grid" ability do? I see them using this all the time, but I have no idea what it does.

Also, those "Heavy Disruption Torpedoes" are really just Thermionic Torpedoes with High Yield enabled, right?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think so. They do the same thing when you get hit with them...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Re-quoting myself: If it looks like someone, don't use it. :) I'm not 100% sure, as I am no lawyer, but we may have special authorization to use it and that authorization can not be given to Foundry authors. In the end, just don't risk it and don't use it if it looks like someone. Again, going off the EULA FAQ thread, characters who were in makeup and costumes where you can not tell who they really are (i.e. their likenss, e.g. Worf) should be okay.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Last I checked, Leonard Nimoy did not have pointed ears. :P

But yeah, I get it, no obvious likeness to real people. It's a shame, but I guess if I were in their position, I wouldn't want my likeness made public either.

And I think the Tholian Tetryon Grid is the straight shield that is sometimes created by the bigger Tholian ships, but that may just be coincidence with a different ability.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm just gonna have Spock-Dialogue without the Picture.
    It's such a disappointment that we can't even have characters that look nothing like the actors without risking legal issues! :(
    No actors played Commander Thelin did they? lol

Out of Body by @odyssey47 sounds pretty good.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Actually, since Thelin was only an animated char.... yeah, he's fair game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Actually, since Thelin was only an animated char.... yeah, he's fair game.

I was kidding! Geez give me some credit lol
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have another question...

I uploaded a npc costume which unlocked everything, being sneaky I like some of these mix matched designs i've made, question.... Will cryptic go "RAWR hax" if I were to use these custom outfitted npcs? (I intend to do so anyway, but just thought I would ask)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You're talking about custom designs for NPCs? that's.... normal.

Oh wait... you mean things with peices that don't go together. Dunno. Dunno if they'll notice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing