What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    Will the Tholian ships be available as NPC Contacts?

Newp. Just combat mobs.

lol @pendra. I dare you to make that mission :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Newp. Just combat mobs.

Grr...

Bran, can you give us an ETA on when the NPC contacts (space for sure, ground would be great too) will hit the Foundry? I guess we can work around it for now, but no contacts is really tying our hands.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pendra3780 wrote: »
    How about 3 vice...

...I LOVE IT! :D
    It those get a bit tiring having serious missions all the time, maybe the one after this challenge could be a humourous or emotion endusing challenge.
    One moment you play a funny Mission called "Two Gorns and a Targ Sandwich" then you play an upsetting mission called "Saving Ensign Ricky" :P

Hell, why not a cheesy romance involving an Aquatic Xindi and a Caitain! :D
    Grr...

Bran, can you give us an ETA on when the NPC contacts (space for sure, ground would be great too) will hit the Foundry? I guess we can work around it for now, but no contacts is really tying our hands.

I'm just using renamed Hirogen Frigates/Ensigns for the time being, then I can just swap them over when ready, I find their speed, movement and size are closest.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hell, why not a cheesy romance involving an Aquatic Xindi and a Caitain! :D

Hmm...could the Caitians actually be the long-lost Xindi-Felinoids? :eek:
    I'm just using renamed Hirogen Frigates/Ensigns for the time being, then I can just swap them over when ready, I find their speed, movement and size are closest.

Contacts, not groups.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    Grr...

There is no ETA, as I'm not sure if they will be added. Sorry if this was not more clear in my posts earlier in this thread :) Feel free to leave feedback about this in a separate thread in the Foundry Discussion forum.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You guys haven't mentioned my main gripe, which is that the only ground Tholians we have are the ones in EV suits, so we can't see Tholians in their natural form. So even talking to them ship to ship or going in EV suits to their natural habitat is something we can't do.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Per Bran's advice, I've created a separate thread to discuss the lack of Tholian NPC Contacts.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7527511#post7527511
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would be very careful about expecting the space mobs to be available before the deadline. You guys will have built complete missions expecting to easily swap the mobs and contact dialogue costumes, when it might not happen before the deadline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I would be very careful about expecting the space mobs to be available before the deadline. You guys will have built complete missions expecting to easily swap the mobs and contact dialogue costumes, when it might not happen before the deadline.

Space Tholian mobs are on Tribble now, and are going into the patch for Holodeck tonight in just under 2 hours: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7512111#post7512111

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm honestly inspired to try a lot of things I never have before because of the limits of this challenge. Both from a storytelling perspective and using the stuff the Foundry editor can do.

By no means am I saying that I feel any differently about how unreasonable it is to ask us to do this challenge with NO contacts, No Tholian Ground Mobs not in Enviro suits, No actual Tholian set pieces (C'mon give us the stinkin' bridge !) .......

but I guess if we're being asked to make breakfast with nothing but popcorn, mayo and cayenne pepper for seasoning, we'll have to make do.

So, how long till Challenge #7 ?
    :D

Peace, Love and May Your Stories Flourish
    - Hippie
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Space Tholian mobs are on Tribble now, and are going into the patch for Holodeck tonight in just under 2 hours: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7512111#post7512111

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks. Just to be clear: It's just npc group mobs though, yes? We can't reskin a friendly Fed ship as a Tholian, we can't set a tholian as a costume, we can't talk to a Tholian, etc.

So we can either kill them in space or kill them on the ground. Or we can use invis walls galore and somehow fake a dialogue with the back of computer console. I guess we could use invis objects with default text and not select a costume.

People probably need a workaround tutorial for this contest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    People probably need a workaround tutorial for this contest.

Truth.

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Truth.

'Nuff said.

I'm actually considering it. Some of these tricks are tribal knowledge that shouldn't be necessary in the first place, and they only work because certain things are not working as intended in the first place.

I think I'll do my part to level the playing field when the challenge isn't how to tell a good story but instead how to even tell a story without X, Y, and Z.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A question.. the npcs in my mission are driving me insane (falling through the map/dissapearing)... once i've finished the mission, can I publish it for a brief time to see if the npcs actually work or if I need to edit the maps etc?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    A question.. the npcs in my mission are driving me insane (falling through the map/dissapearing)... once i've finished the mission, can I publish it for a brief time to see if the npcs actually work or if I need to edit the maps etc?

Yes, you can publish it to do a test, but you'll need to withdraw it ASAP -- it would also be best to delete the title/ description and put a placeholder that mentions you are testing and to not play it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    One thing you can do is publish, go pick up the mission with a captain, then go unpublish. That captain will still have the mission and can play it, but nobody else can see it while you're testing.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge. :)

I am generally surprised they haven't made a bridge and interior for the NX class.
    I mean we already got the ship and character costumes/npc!
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge. :)

I am generally surprised they haven't made a bridge and interior for the NX class.
    I mean we already got the ship and character costumes/npc!

maybe some enterprise maco outfits? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge. :)!

We're basically providing them unlimited content and it's almost free, unless they are investing massive amounts of money in it, which is doubtful. They should show us some gratitude. :D

Jokes apart, don't be silly, this challenge sounds like a "create a harry potter episode using the foundry" to most of us and you know we are right. ;)
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once they asked the authors to do a Risa episode with Stahl... Compared to that, this challenge seems reasonable. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can I just ask a quick question - if I wanted to reference or use locations/events covered within the Star Trek: Vanguard novels, would that be allowed under the EULA?

I'm not entirely sure whether characters from the novels can be used either, but I wouldn't just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zadama wrote: »
    Can I just ask a quick question - if I wanted to reference or use locations/events covered within the Star Trek: Vanguard novels, would that be allowed under the EULA?

I'm not entirely sure whether characters from the novels can be used either, but I wouldn't just to be on the safe side.

Referencing them should be fine.
    It's the likeness rights that cause the big problems I think.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I dont see how its a problem, CBS owns the rights and the characters arnt portrayed by any actors... I think that one is safe, as is the New Frontier novels.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Guess what, Tholian space mobs (which cannot be reskinned) randomly produce mirror Federation ships as well as Tholian ones.

This means that in any given situation you cannot even be certain which a player will be facing when a Tholian mob is placed. This is actually a bigger limitation than no contacts being available; at least you can plan your mission around that--This will change from play to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Guess what, Tholian space mobs (which cannot be reskinned) randomly produce mirror Federation ships as well as Tholian ones.

This means that in any given situation you cannot even be certain which a player will be facing when a Tholian mob is placed. This is actually a bigger limitation than no contacts being available; at least you can plan your mission around that--This will change from play to play.

You're joking right? ... meh you're awesome.. you're being serious... well....... im going to need to through in one of those lines what'll elt it slide

"The Tholian have been using X ships they captured from X race"

wait theres no mirror ships to use either.. other than the typhoon.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thats not too bad, I'll just add a short comment at the enemys base that you can see the file that explains this but you dont have time for intel gathering. :)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thats not too bad, I'll just add a short comment at the enemys base that you can see the file that explains this but you dont have time for intel gathering. :)

how many players are required for the mirror unvierse vessels to spawn ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken, the mob you put down will be all Tholiam ships. One of the powers they use calls in mirror universe ships, as seen in the various PvE content against Tholians, so I believe this is what you're seeing. It's part of the STO lore of the Tholians and what their up to nowadays.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If I'm not mistaken, the mob you put down will be all Tholiam ships. One of the powers they use calls in mirror universe ships, as seen in the various PvE content against Tholians, so I believe this is what you're seeing. It's part of the STO lore of the Tholians and what their up to nowadays.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

At what level of ships do they use this power ?

This challenge just gets more and more .... unreasonable is a nice way to put it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    At what level of ships do they use this power ?

This challenge just gets more and more .... unreasonable is a nice way to put it.

I'm not sure how this is unreasonable. Think of it like this. You, as a sci player, can use a power that brings in a photonic fleet for support. The Tholians have a power that can open a rift that brings in mirror universe ships to help them. It's just an innate power they have and should not affect your lore if a player has fought against Tholians in Cryptic-created content as its just part of the norm.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=