What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #6 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure how this is unreasonable. Think of it like this. You, as a sci player, can use a power that brings in a photonic fleet for support. The Tholians have a power that can open a rift that brings in mirror universe ships to help them. It's just an innate power they have and should not affect your lore if a player has fought against Tholians in Cryptic-created content as its just part of the norm.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

For present day, I agree, Branflakes.

It's probably less reasonable for folks who want to do Dominion War or TOS era Tholian missions.

Part of the "challenge", yes. But longterm, pure Tholian groups would be nice.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure how this is unreasonable. Think of it like this. You, as a sci player, can use a power that brings in a photonics fleet. The Thilians can open a rift that brings in mirror universe ships to help. It's just an innate power they have and should not affect your lore if player have fought against Tholians in Cryptic-created content as its just part of the norm.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I agree that this is current lore, and on some level, if our missions deal with this we should address it. That's not unreasonable.

Asking us to design a story around this enemy though, when we don't even have full information about how the enemy works, simply adds to the fact that without workarounds that are clumsy, we cannot even have PCs talk to them, and that is the place I feel this is unreasonable.

There are many questions.

Do weak mobs summon Mirror Ships, is it only Battleships? Does this happen with ANY Tholian space contact?

It means that we can't even play the trick of boxing them in somehow to initiate a conversation, because they are always a hostile enemy group , they might pop this power on a player and suddenly there is a mirror enemy ship , where the author designed for their to be a conversation.

We cannot predict what an enemy mob of Tholians will bring to the party.

Is a Tholian Battleship mob just as powerful as any other Battleship ? but with the ability to summon another powerful mob on the PCs ?

We just don't know the answers on how that Tholian power works.
    What are they capable of summoning ?
    How powerful are the summoned mobs?
    What is the cooldown on the power ?
    Does this likewise cause the Wells and such to spawn for the PCs team (as in the official content)? Is that part of fighting Tholian Mobs, or is that map specific to the Cryptic content ?

I've not indicated that it's impossible. Annoying yes, somewhat unreasonable yes, but not impossible.

Just please take the overwhelming response of the authors around this into consideration as you plan future challenges. Really , that's all I ask.

Well, that and any answers to any of the above questions you can provide.

As you like to say, Oh Flakey One

Cheers !
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's part of the STO lore of the Tholians and what their up to nowadays.

Yeah, about that ... are we actually going to get an explanation for this anytime soon? After that incident on Nukara Prime I'd think the Terrans and the Tholians would hate each other's guts. ;)

Also, I've only seen the Orb Weaver Cruisers summoning Terran Empire ships. Is that the only one that can do that?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If I'm not mistaken, the mob you put down will be all Tholiam ships. One of the powers they use calls in mirror universe ships, as seen in the various PvE content against Tholians, so I believe this is what you're seeing. It's part of the STO lore of the Tholians and what their up to nowadays.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

the tholians been opening lockboxes?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    the tholians been opening lockboxes?

Thank you for the laugh :)
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    I agree that this is current lore, and on some level, if our missions deal with this we should address it. That's not unreasonable.

Asking us to design a story around this enemy though, when we don't even have full information about how the enemy works, simply adds to the fact that without workarounds that are clumsy, we cannot even have PCs talk to them, and that is the place I feel this is unreasonable.

There are many questions.

Do weak mobs summon Mirror Ships, is it only Battleships? Does this happen with ANY Tholian space contact?

It means that we can't even play the trick of boxing them in somehow to initiate a conversation, because they are always a hostile enemy group , they might pop this power on a player and suddenly there is a mirror enemy ship , where the author designed for their to be a conversation.

Is a Tholian Battleship mob just as powerful as any other Battleship ? but with the ability to summon another powerful mob on the PCs ?

We just don't know the answers on how that Tholian power works.
    What are they capable of summoning ?
    How powerful are the summoned mobs?
    What is the cooldown on the power ?
    Does this likewise cause the Wells and such to spawn for the PCs team (as in the official content)? Is that part of fighting Tholian Mobs, or is that map specific to the Cryptic content ?

I've not indicated that it's impossible. Annoying yes, somewhat unreasonable yes, but not impossible.

Just please take the overwhelming response of the authors around this into consideration as you plan future challenges. Really , that's all I ask.

Well, that and any answers to any of the above questions you can provide.

As you like to say, Oh Flakey One

Cheers !

I don't know these answers, unfortunately. I'll see if the systems team can provide more info on when they would appear. I am fairly certain only certain ships have the power and that they have to be engaging an enemy (e.g. a player, a ship that's an enemy to them, etc.) to use the power, and that if they are just patrolling, they don't have the ability to open a rift.

As for "...when we don't even have full information about how the enemy works...", has that information been provided in the past regarding other enemy mobs? I'm not saying it hasn't, but I'm wondering how authors planned around the powers that other enemies use.

Again, I truly appreciate the feedback and will take into consideration for the future. I will also continue to stand behind the notion that this "challenge" is meant to be a challenge, maybe more so than any others in the past. I am also thrilled at the response so far with those who have made their mission post in the actual challenge announcement thread. All of the other challenges have not requested you use a specific enemy group, and I don't think a future one will; however, I did decide on this challenge specifically because the Tholians were being added. Look at this as an opportunity to push yourself as an author, but if you don't want to participate, that's okay too and I understand :) In the end, participate in the challenges that interest you, and in those that you feel you are going to have fun with -- that is what it is all about. I definitely do not expect that authors will want to participate in every single one.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I don't know these answers, unfortunately. I'll see if the systems team can provide more info on when they would appear. I am fairly certain only certain ships have the power and that they have to be engaging an enemy (e.g. a player, a ship that's an enemy to them, etc.) to use the power, and that if they are just patrolling, they don't have the ability to open a rift.

Thanks for the insight, and the willingness to ask the team for us :)
    As for "...when we don't even have full information about how the enemy works...", has that information been provided in the past regarding other enemy mobs? I'm not saying it hasn't, but I'm wondering how authors planned around the powers that other enemies use.

I would imagine (in my case anyway) this is strictly a matter of the other enemy types having been in game long enough that the powers they use are pretty common knowledge at this point.
    ... I definitely do not expect that authors will want to participate in every single one.

You don't know me very well :)

Thanks for the replies, Brandon.

Peace !
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013

I'm not too worried about it for my challenge mission, but for the future I'd love to know that so if I wanted pure Tholians I know what groups to put down.

I know you don't have any say on whats given to us from a technical standpoint, so I very much appreciate your willingness to discuss these issues. I know sometimes our concerns may seem trivial, but from our perspective, we're tying to be storytellers here and its tough when you don't have the tools you need.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Guess what, Tholian space mobs (which cannot be reskinned) randomly produce mirror Federation ships as well as Tholian ones.

This means that in any given situation you cannot even be certain which a player will be facing when a Tholian mob is placed. This is actually a bigger limitation than no contacts being available; at least you can plan your mission around that--This will change from play to play.
    Um, Yes you can. I just tinkered with it and I was able to reskin Tholian units. I didn't test every type of mob, but all the ones I tested worked fine. I was able to reskin a battleship group as a Borg Diamond, and am ensign group as Boslics.
    You don't know me very well
    hehe, he don't know me very well do he? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Um, Yes you can. I just tinkered with it and I was able to reskin Tholian units. I didn't test every type of mob, but all the ones I tested worked fine. I was able to reskin a battleship group as a Borg Diamond, and am ensign group as Boslics.hehe, he don't know me very well do he? :D

Its the other way round. you cant reskin a non tholian ship to look tholian or reskin one type of tholian ship to look like another.
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Um, Yes you can. I just tinkered with it and I was able to reskin Tholian units. I didn't test every type of mob, but all the ones I tested worked fine. I was able to reskin a battleship group as a Borg Diamond, and am ensign group as Boslics.hehe, he don't know me very well do he? :D

Yes, you CAN re-skin them, I mean there are no Tholians to re-skin them as--I worded the post badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Um, Yes you can. I just tinkered with it and I was able to reskin Tholian units. I didn't test every type of mob, but all the ones I tested worked fine. I was able to reskin a battleship group as a Borg Diamond, and am ensign group as Boslics.

The issue is we can't put down a single NPC and reskin it as a Tholian, and as such cannot make a traditional talk to contact. Nor can we put down a lower-level combat mob, say a gorn, and reskin them as Tholians, to lower the playable level of the mission. Nor can we put down a friendly mob and reskin it as a Tholian, so no Tholian allies.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Yes, you CAN re-skin them, I mean there are no Tholians to re-skin them as--I worded the post badly.
    Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood. I was thinking that you said we couldn't make tholians look like something else.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok, no friendlies, got it. Not even pulling a jabba-the-hut C3PO translator thing because invisible walls won't work? Has in the past for me... Ground only though.

Here is an official qualification question. Can we make this Tholian mission without having one Tholian in it, just references? Because I have this inkling of a spark of an idea. Asking because this will be my first challenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ok, no friendlies, got it. Not even pulling a jabba-the-hut C3PO translator thing because invisible walls won't work? Has in the past for me... Ground only though.

Here is an official qualification question. Can we make this Tholian mission without having one Tholian in it, just references? Because I have this inkling of a spark of an idea. Asking because this will be my first challenge.

Should still be able to pull the Invisible Wall trick on the ground.

Personally , I only see the words "feature the Tholians" in it's own way that's pretty broad.
    I for one would love to see a mission with no Tholian enemy mobs in the contest.
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Should still be able to pull the Invisible Wall trick on the ground.

Personally , I only see the words "feature the Tholians" in it's own way that's pretty broad.
    I for one would love to see a mission with no Tholian enemy mobs in the contest.

Believe me when I say your vote of appreciation is reassuring. But we all know how things change because the foundry can't do it. Should anyone need a ground contact though that could be the answer. Just a very annoying number of "he said"s.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I have a question that's not Tholian-related. (:eek:)

If my submission wins, it becomes a Spotlight mission. But since I didn't technically "submit it for spotlighting", do I still retain the ability to edit it?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013

If my submission wins, it becomes a Spotlight mission. But since I didn't technically "submit it for spotlighting", do I still retain the ability to edit it?

Good question!

If anyone needs a story for this challenge then give me a bell... I got four sat in my notebook.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited January 2013

One of the prizes is that your mission becomes a spotlight mission, but in order for that to happen, you would need to submit it. If you choose not to submit it, we wouldn't be able to spotlight it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    One of the prizes is that your mission becomes a spotlight mission, but in order for that to happen, you would need to submit it. If you choose not to submit it, we wouldn't be able to spotlight it.

Thats good, at least you'd be able to edit it before hand.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thats good, at least you'd be able to edit it before hand.

Absolutely :) I give authors a week+ of notice and leeway time to edit, polish and submit before the spotlight goes live. And, while it would be disappointing to not see a winning mission spotlighted, if the author chooses not to submit it, I would respect that (but only after I politely asked them to reconsider and cleared up any concerns :D).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you very much for the answer. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just curious, are we allowed to work in pairs (ie one does story, one does actual map making)? And what sorts of restrictions or rewards would ensue from that?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just curious, are we allowed to work in pairs (ie one does story, one does actual map making)? And what sorts of restrictions or rewards would ensue from that?

dont see why not but whoever publishes it, will get the reward (if it wins)... that and sharing accounts is a no no

Branflakes I have another question/request,

Is there any chance we can have the Mirror, Purple(Old mirror ship skins), Borg set visuals, reman & romulan set visuals added to the ships hull costume tab?

Basically what I was going to do was have several alternate universe converge due to the Tholians doing stuff.

As for the other maybe someone wants to do something about a reman built defiant or ships getting assimilated? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Is there any chance we can have the Mirror, Purple(Old mirror ship skins), Borg set visuals, reman & romulan set visuals added to the ships hull costume tab?

Same with the characters, I got a really funny idea for a MACO based story but each time I try to make something like a MACO it just turns out like a camp-uniform. lol
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    cyconianlordcyconianlord Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In the spirit of the competition, only maps, missions, stories, dialogue etc. created/ built/ designed during the 6-week creation period should be used.

I guess I should assume this means I couldn't, for example, use the transporter room (made by alimac30) as part of a map I made for this? Even if I noted credits to them?

Assuming not, if by chance I did happen to win, could I add assets like this back into a map before submitting it for featuring? Again, making note to credit the original designers?
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I guess I should assume this means I couldn't, for example, use the transporter room (made by alimac30) as part of a map I made for this? Even if I noted credits to them?

Assuming not, if by chance I did happen to win, could I add assets like this back into a map before submitting it for featuring? Again, making note to credit the original designers?

Why don't you make your own? If you need a TP it will take 2-3h to create from scrach at most (and that's only if you need a complete transporter room).
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    cyconianlordcyconianlord Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Can and may, i juss happen to like the look of that one, so if i could have used it, i would have.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2013
    BranFlakes asked me to stop in and shed some light on the functionality and abilities of Tholians, so I thought I'd answer some of the questions that have already been raised. If you have any more, please feel free to ask them in this thread.

The Mirror Ships are only summoned by the Rifts that occasionally spawn from Tholian Warp Core Breeches. It's not an ability they can initiate on their own, nor is it something that happens with much frequency. It happens only upon the moment of their death.

Orb Weavers (Cruiser)have a 5% chance on death of summoning this rift
    Recluse (Battleship) have a 15% chance
    Tarantula (Dreadnought) have a 25% chance

Whenever the death of a Tholian ship causes an Interphasic Rift, Mirror Ships may be summoned. Each rift has 3 pulses, each of which will summon a maximum of one ship:

Pulse 1 = 60% Miranda, 30% a random Cruiser, 10% a random Sci Vessel
    Pulse 2 = 70% no second ship, 15% a second Miranda, 10% a random Cruiser, 5% a random Escort
    Pulse 3 = 70% no third ship, 15% a third Miranda, 10% a random Escort, 5% a Battleship

Every Mirror ship that is summoned is only 80% the level of the Tholian that caused them to spawn. So when fighting level 50 Tholians, the summoned critters should be around 40 or 41, and easily dispatched.

Since this ability only fires at the point of death, there is no Cooldown worth considering. (It's 1000 seconds, but you'll never see this since NPC corpses don't linger that long after death.)

As you can see above, the Rift and subsequent summons have such a small % chance to occur, that it really isn't taken into consideration in the overall balance of Tholian critters. So, while your statement is accurate (Recluse Battleships are intended to be just as powerful as other critter Battleships), there is also a very small chance of things escalating upon the moment of their death. But even then, it's intended more as flavor, than as a primary tactic of the Tholian group as a whole.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thank you very, very much for giving us this info.

So Tholian frigates have no chance of summoning this rift when they get destroyed? Do I have that correct?