test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilthium HAS Officially crashed

Comments

• latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I keep seeing people referring to the dilithium requirements for starbases, but if anything, it seems that fleets can continue to progress now with less of a need for dilithium. So I really don't see how there has been a sudden increase in starbase dilithium sinks.

Yes, the fleet embassy has added a new sink. But so far, the total required for each project is much less than that of the starbase projects. AND because of the doff adjustment, fleets can run projects that require NO dilithium now without a problem. Prior to S7, those projects required a large number of specialized green doffs which made it extremely difficult to fill. Now, those projects suddenly have become feasible to run on a regular basis. I know for our fleet, the total amount of dilithium required to progress the starbase and embassy is now less, AND we are progressing faster now because those projects also reward more XP.

So it begs the question, what are people spending the dilithium on (post S7)? The only difference now in S7 is that STF gear will cost dilithium, but most players that have been playing a while probably already have the mark X or XI gear, and that is all that is unlockable right now. No one is at T5 yet, so they aren't spending the dilithium on that yet. Other gear has always cost dilithium (either crafted or from dilithium store), even before S6, so no change there. Reputation projects don't require dilithium except for the tier upgrades, and even that is going away. Was never a huge amount anyway.

I think the main reason for the changes happening on the exchange is the perception of a lack of dilithium. Obtaining it in S7 is now different, and takes more time investment. It feels like getting laid off in that your income suddenly takes a hit. Even if your expenses go down a bit, you feel suddenly poorer, and you feel the need to hoard what you have. It will most likely remain as such until people adapt and find new ways of getting it.
    edited November 2012
    You may not have noticed, but you're playing a computer game.....

Yes, that's right, hence why we don't want it behaving like a real life job. :cool:

How about some actual content that resembles entertainment not the same crappy 15 minute repetitive space and ground a battles done to create rewards for something which as you can see from this thread is little more than an economics simulator.:o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Encouraging more gameplay versus dilithium purchasing IS a big part of what I mean when I say this is an anti-P2W, Robin Hood strategy, along with the idea of players having more purchasing power through gameplay if the depressed ZEN market holds or is subsidized in a holding pattern.

If they play more they'll also more feel the need to buy better ships, the stuff from the store, etc, because it makes your life easier in pve. That's definitely not a "robin hood" strategy, it's inciting people to play more to get them more commited to the game and then make purchases, it has nothing to do with fairness or balance.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    If they play more they'll also more feel the need to buy better ships, the stuff from the store, etc, because it makes your life easier in pve. That's definitely not a "robin hood" strategy, it's inciting people to play more to get them more commited to the game and then make purchases, it has nothing to do with fairness or balance.

I don't think it's a coincidence that during the design meetings for this, Stahl made a post talking about dilithium as a cure to P2W.

Your approach makes more sense. I don't think Cryptic is operating under the more sensible theory though.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »

Indeed ultimately Cryptic have shown more often than not in recent changes that revenue comes first. If making the game "fairer" brings in more money, they'll do it. If making it "unfair" will bring in more money they'll do it.

The point is their agenda is revenue generation and Season 7 was about finding out just how far they could push customers before they would become dissatisfied and revenue dropping because of it.

Recently content has been centered on Lockboxes and Ships, New Romulus being an exploration zone is somewhat a throwback as it should have really been in like Season 1.

Season 7 to me just seems like a way to test the customer bases reaction to a new revenue model.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't think it's a coincidence that during the design meetings for this, Stahl made a post talking about dilithium as a cure to P2W.

Your approach makes more sense. I don't think Cryptic is operating under the more sensible theory though.

ive seen daany boy also say when dill was put in to the game it would never be grind game and what is season 7? grind this grind that limit this limit that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I still don't get it - lots of people will stop buying Zen with Real world dollars to convert - does this not hurt Cryptic's bottom line? If everyone is just grinding dilthium for zen to buy stuff from the c-store - how do they make money - it makes no sense to me.

If they were making $1 million in sales of Zen at 160 but it drops to only $500k is sales at 120 - I see that as a problem.
    edited November 2012
    I still don't get it - lots of people will stop buying Zen with Real world dollars to convert - does this not hurt Cryptic's bottom line? If everyone is just grinding dilthium for zen to buy stuff from the c-store - how do they make money - it makes no sense to me.

If they were making $1 million in sales of Zen at 160 but it drops to only $500k is sales at 120 - I see that as a problem.

Dilith is now required by more in-game sinks and it also takes more time to aquire it, therefore there is less available on the exchange, in addition people are more likely to try to avoid the new grinds by buying zen to convert to dilith... the result being a devaluation of Zen to Dilith exchange rate.

Now for some good news...
    • Fixed various text and formatting errors with descriptions on Romulan Reputation projects.
      Reputation XP projects now reward a small amount of Dilithium upon completion .
    • 340 for the 2000 XP projects
    • 140 for the 800 XP projects
    • The addition of this reward means that players must now click the "Claim Reward" button when the project timer is complete.
      Reputation Projects:
    • All Tier-Up projects have had their durations reduced from 1 hour to 15 minutes.
    • All Tier-Up projects have had their Dilithium costs completely removed.
    • Significantly lowered the cost of the items in the Omega reputation consumable store.
    • Removed Tier requirements from the Omega Conversion Crates.
    • These can now be opened without restriction.
    • Removed Tier requirements on Mark-to-Dilithium conversion projects.
    • These projects can now be slotted immediately upon reaching level 50 and unlocking the Reputation system.
    • Reduced duration on T3-T5 Reputation XP projects from 40 hours to 20 hours.
    • This matches T1 and T2 project durations.

and also...
    • Updated the visual appearance of all of the Breen ships.

Breen ships will be the Winter Event ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012

As I stated, these sales could be up to 16% as frequent as what they were before and Cryptic's bottom line would stay the same or improve in a totally bottomed dilithium market.

200 players buy 159,000,000 dilithium for 1,000,000 ZEN, Cryptic gets $1000.

32 players buy 25,000,000 dilithium for 1,000,000 ZEN, Cryptic gets $1000.

They don't NEED the same volume of sales if a few people will pay more.
  • jadenmiajadenmia Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Your panicking over something like that?
    So is this how Wall Street, inverters, and Big name corporations react when prices go down so much so fast, when resources flood the market to the point of allowing certain people access to things that before where to expensive for them to access?

One thing is clear though, a lot of players are using RL money to buy ZEN to get dilithium.

And to think, there where statements made about the influx of dilithium through missions TRIBBLE with the in game economy instead, but it is going backwards from those concerns.
    edited November 2012
    As I stated, these sales could be up to 16% as frequent as what they were before and Cryptic's bottom line would stay the same or improve in a totally bottomed dilithium market.

200 players buy 159,000,000 dilithium for 1,000,000 ZEN, Cryptic gets $1000.

32 players buy 25,000,000 dilithium for 1,000,000 ZEN, Cryptic gets $1000.

They don't NEED the same volume of sales if a few people will pay more.

Still I don't see anyone buying Zen with Real money much below 100

think about it - that 100k omega thing would cost 1000 zen or $10 at 100 and $40 dollars!! at 25

there must be a lot of millionares out there playing this game to drop $40 just to put a few pieces of gear on a ship under your scenario
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dilith is now required by more in-game sinks and it also takes more time to aquire it, therefore there is less available on the exchange, in addition people are more likely to try to avoid the new grinds by buying zen to convert to dilith... the result being a devaluation of Zen to Dilith exchange rate.

Now for some good news...

and also...

Also folks will find Dilthium in their omega crate depending on how much stuff they didn't convert. That resource has been frozen will finally be released.
    edited November 2012
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    Also folks will find Dilthium in their omega crate depending on how much stuff they didn't convert. That resource has been frozen will finally be released.

I doubt anyone with half a brain failed to convert their Salvage and Tech into Dilithium before it got taken from them and nerfed to hell :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    And Cryptic accountants are rejoicing in song as this forces players to buy more z-points to convert to Dilithium to make up for the lack of Dilithium being generated in the game. :mad:

I am sure they are. I have bought $100 in Dilth in the past few weeks myself. *Shakes fist at PWE/Cryptic accountants*
    edited November 2012
    ive not goting any zen since the tholian lockboxes was only a 120$ to get all 3 ship was going to get the relativity but that was before season 7 now i dont think i will ever put any more money in to the game ever again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012

Yup, just like when we called the D'kora as the next lockbox ship when it got its update :D
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ive not goting any zen since the tholian lockboxes was only a 120$ to get all 3 ship was going to get the relativity but that was before season 7 now i dont think i will ever put any more money in to the game ever again

Nor punctuation into your sentences.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Your assumption is that most people could do that. My assumption is that the vast majority did not know how and that knowing how made you part of an upper class these changes were designed to curtail.

I originally thought this too.

Then we realized 38 of the last 40 people recruited into our fleet was doing this since the 50 marks were added in season six.

That means tens of thousands of characters were doing this per day. 1440 a pop.

Do the math.

The bubble was enormous, and accounts for a lot of the math calculations that went into Dan Stahl's 13250 dilithium per level 50 average per week.

Cryptic realizes this now. How they missed it is a good question.
    edited November 2012
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Nor punctuation into your sentences.

hey if you have a cure for learning disabilities i will be sure to be the frist to try it out if not gtfo spelling poe poe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • echodarksidedechodarksided Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Count me among those who do not believe what we are seeing with the ingame economy was either intentional or expected. All the flip flopping and crisis management since the release suggests poor planning.

Which has been the rule, not the exception. Cryptic doesn't have a good track record when it comes to planning big changes, but they do pretty well at adapting fast and crisis management. The holiday hurt them on timely reaction to this particular problem, but I suspect that by next week we will be seeing more relevant changes.

Worth noting, adding Dilithium to the reputation xp reward is a 180 degree change from Tribble, where you paid dilithium for XP. It's also artificial in that it is a bubble, similar to a stimulus it adds dilithium into the market short term but does not solve fundamental issues specific to the dilithium shortfall in game.

I think it is a bad assumption to think season seven is considered a hit from a corporate view. The buzz was killed with the economic problems, and there is little evidence anything in STO is booming- least of all Zen sales.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012

think about it - that 100k omega thing would cost 1000 zen or $10 at 100 and $40 dollars!! at 25

there must be a lot of millionares out there playing this game to drop $40 just to put a few pieces of gear on a ship under your scenario

Um, unless you believe there are a lot of them (to be fair, I'm one); and all the LTS folks are dumping their 500 ZP monthly stipend on the market every month (I haven't done that at all with mine except once last February 2012); the majority of ZP on the Dilithium Exchange has been bought with real money by someone at some point (even the monthly subbers as effectively, $5 of their monthly sub fee is essentially converted to 500 ZP off the top.)

Cryptic isn't really losing anything in the current market situation.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Cryptic doesn't have a good track record when it comes to planning big changes, but they do pretty well at adapting fast and crisis management.

Well of course cryptic is apt at crisis management, they would have to be for all the stupid things to come down the pipe from pwe/cryptic all the time.

I guess their motto is It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, cept... how many times do you gotta TRIBBLE up before enough is enough?
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

You'd be surprised what people will pay to get their fix.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the only "Fiasco" was them underestimating how lazy there player base is

Inversely, it could be said they overestimated how engaging their content is.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Or you buy 30% of the requirements and play for the rest. It will serve their purpose too. I know it can be frustrating if you got used to use your credit card to buy off every feature for a small price before but now Cryptic obviously wants the credit card addicts to pay the price or to play the game as F2Ps do, to a lesser extent.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited November 2012

this^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I just can't do it. The foundry has been down for about a week, so I've been grinding. After 3 days at about 2 hours a night, I just can't continue to do these same monotonous tasks over and over and over again.

I'm not sure how any of you folks can play the game this way. It's like the entire mechanics of what we're supposed to do in sto now revolve around chores, and they are not easy chores to do. Well, wait, they are easy but the magnitude of the number of tasks are so huge.

I look at my starbase requirements and I instantly give up. It's like when dad punished me by giving me some scissors to mow the yard.

Right now, I'm in a small fleet that has about 10 people. Our embassy and our starbase projects are asking us right now for nearly 700,000 dilithium, after we've already dished more than half a million.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I just can't do it. The foundry has been down for about a week, so I've been grinding. After 3 days at about 2 hours a night, I just can't continue to do these same monotonous tasks over and over and over again.

I'm not sure how any of you folks can play the game this way. It's like the entire mechanics of what we're supposed to do in sto now revolve around chores, and they are not easy chores to do.

I look at my starbase requirements and I instantly give up. It's like when dad punished me by giving me some scissors to mow the yard.

I had a rusty old push mower - how about during the fleet event you try running colony invasion for 2 hours on 4 toons - do that 2 times per day everyday for a month? - I did that soon after the starbases came out - came close to jumping in front of a train!
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I'm not sure how any of you folks can play the game this way. It's like the entire mechanics of what we're supposed to do in sto now revolve around chores, and they are not easy chores to do. Well, wait, they are easy but the magnitude of the number of tasks are so huge.

Right now, I'm in a small fleet that has about 10 people. Our embassy and our starbase projects are asking us right now for nearly 700,000 dilithium, after we've already dished more than half a million.

Well... the trick is to find things you LIKE to do. For me, I've become fond of the Deferi Dailies and I love pugging Elite STFs. Some hate pugging the E-STFs but for me the variety of the random human element keeps them fresh and interesting. Sometimes everyone does their job superbly and it runs like clockwork... others I have to literally take down all the Neg'Vars and Raptors by myself because my teammates were unable to deal with either and were taken out. There's also the rare times an inexperienced player will ask for help after seeying what a competent escort/cruiser pilot can do, helping others get better is very rewarding... even if its a rare ocurrence.

Heck, i've even come to like the Tau Dewa sector! No kidding! If I want Rom marks I do the Mine ground event, if I want a few more I like to run the space patrols, but not every day and always changing which planets I patrol at. Still never found a Tholian invasion to defeat though...:cool:

NOTE TO THE DEVS: I could care less about the Enterprise, make it so the Bortas shows up and fights my Fed! Make it a challenging fight, that way it'll be all the sweeter when I tow that overgrown bucket of bolts into ESD. Heck! I'm MU, have the Enterprize show up as well so I can beat it down too!

I think it helps that I'm at a point in gear/skill/build know-how that I can reliable perform well enough to carry teammates if need be. I even have decent enough alts to try totally different playstyles. Variety helps a LOT.

Also, you've mentioned you don't play on the live server very much, how good is your gear and build? And how experienced are you in actual playing? I ask this not to disparage you, but because if you don't play much you are unlikely to have good gear or to have a build and playstyle you like to use and can use to the best of your abilities. Not having these down and ready to go makes things drag a lot more.

Edit: Also, if you're really interested in simply generating DIl, look into getting a KDF alt or two. They generate Dil much faster and in greater quantities than fed characters from doffing.
  • tanhousertanhouser Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I'm right there with you. All I want is the foundry hooked back up, and I will not be concerned about season 7 or economics anymore.

With it down, I played some of the new stuff, bought a lot of zen, and have far less urge to play each day. I hope they get that ol girl running again. Everything they added in season 7 makes a fine side dish to my foundry main course.