test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dilthium HAS Officially crashed

born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
Right now there is 30k at 131 and 60k at 130 - then nothing like 2k down to 127 - who knows what is below that

on the ohter side it's stacked up with zen to sell
Post edited by born2bwild1 on

Comments

• edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    people need ze dili and there are not so many things to buy with zen atm so... :rolleyes:

dont panic ,in champions online there are times when 1 zen is 50 questionite (thats the dilithium version in that game).You can make profit out of this so dont complain :p
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And Cryptic accountants are rejoicing in song as this forces players to buy more z-points to convert to Dilithium to make up for the lack of Dilithium being generated in the game. :mad:
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    people need ze dili and there are not so many things to buy with zen atm so... :rolleyes:

dont panic ,in champions online there are times when 1 zen is 50 questionite (thats the dilithium version in that game).You can make profit out of this so dont complain :p

It's actually bottomed out over there before eh? Interesting and rather horrendous at the same time.
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    And Cryptic accountants are rejoicing in song as this forces players to buy more z-points to convert to Dilithium to make up for the lack of Dilithium being generated in the game. :mad:

I don't know if this 'forces' anything, but yes it will sell more Zen. And that's a good thing, as we that won't pay cash for Zen will get it through much less dilithium. Not that I want anything that costs Zen, but it never hurts to have some around just in case.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They removed the easiest method to farm it this has been expected. Although I must admit a bit of surprise at the speed of the market drop.

That and no one has really unlocked the higher tiers of reputation yet so just what is all this dil being purchased being used for? I don't fully understand that part either. Especially because the first rep item I'm getting cost 500 marks and 15,000 dil and I gotta say if you spend the time to get that many marks I cannot see how the dil is an issue for you.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I'm making about the same amount of Dilithium as I was before, honestly. I think the reactions are a bit overblown.

Just as Adrian said, it's that a lot more people are holding onto their Dilithium. If this were still S6, I'd probably be turning all my Dilthium into Zen in preparation for the upcoming Andorian ship... but with the reputation system here, I'm hoarding it all to buy Tier 5 Omega gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    I'm making about the same amount of Dilithium as I was before, honestly. I think the reactions are a bit overblown.

Just as Adrian said, it's that a lot more people are holding onto their Dilithium. If this were still S6, I'd probably be turning all my Dilthium into Zen in preparation for the upcoming Andorian ship... but with the reputation system here, I'm hoarding it all to buy Tier 5 Omega gear.

I agree. I haven't lost that much. People are just being selfish with it. :P
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well it might also be that people are holding onto it because there are more sinks for it. The new reputation system and fleet starbases that have progressed are sucking it all up.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »

It is not your standard average player who is making a much smaller amount. It is those players who farmed 20+ alts for the 'investigate' daily. That takes a huge amount off of the market. But I could be wrong.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Or that people who have plenty of dil are saving it for the reputation system and stores (like myself) and that those who can't meet their needs with the way they play the game are willing to pay more for dilithium. But it doesn't mean that there are less sources. And it doesn't mean that being happy with that is being a crypric fan. It paid for half of my vesta today, so I'm fine with the market! :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have a whole lot of dilithium waiting for buyers at 25. And I know there are a bunch of suckers out there who will pay it.

Just biding my time...

Downside? Since alts have been rendered useless and the grind sucks, wth do I need cpoints for?
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yep, saving all mine for t5 - the price would have to drop to around 70 before I'd sell :D
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If everyone is sitting on a stockplie, convert it to Zen NOW.
    These projects aren't going to last forever.
    When they end, and they will end eventually, that need for dilithium will drop off.

AND before PWE does something drastic...I doubt conversions will drop below 90dil=1zen
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nice, nice, keep it coming
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rezking wrote: »
    If everyone is sitting on a stockplie, convert it to Zen NOW.
    These projects aren't going to last forever.
    When they end, and they will end eventually, that need for dilithium will drop off.

I would wait a month at least, when people are more desperate for Dilithium as they're close to doing all their Tier 5 projects.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i find it amusing that the dilithium decides to tank right now, instead of right after S7 hit live.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    a3001 wrote: »
    i find it amusing that the dilithium decides to tank right now, instead of right after S7 hit live.

slowly ppl are geting fed up with it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012

And this is only good if the volume of transactions are high. Preferably as high or higher. Though they could still be a bit lower volume. But if the volume is dramatically lower, it means the game is about to burn through its players.

Economic efficiency can be a measure of happiness (and high dilithium values are a way to measure that) but if the price fails to reflect ACTUAL happiness, people will leave your market.

My thing was always that it should take more ZEN to buy dilithium (and dilithium should buy more ZEN) but only at the rate that people experience and express heightened satisfaction. It should be a slow boil, not a flash fry.

Sometimes, I think they crowdsource for insight on this kind of thing. And if they're crowdsourcing me (and sometimes I think they are), it might be wise to consider that:

- What I post is off the cuff.
    - It isn't fully explained.
    - The important details of my analysis often go beyond what I share.
    - I have ideas that I don't post because devs have warned me off on sharing certain things, less they become Cryptic property per forum EULA.
    - Anything I say is based off what I see and know. Which makes it guesses. And that's true for all of us on the forums. I can't say anything about T5 Omega Rep projects that is accurate because I can't run them and S7 wasn't on Tribble long enough for anyone to test them. And if somebody on the team takes an idea we're discussing here and takes a detour with it, we can't correct for it until it hits the live server.

I suspect this is true for many of us. I have a feeling this economic planning came in response to some forum analysis that some of us have been making for awhile on how the market could work. Or at least it's parallel to what I and some other have said.

And if it's working for them, fine. But if it's not (and I have my doubts), maybe they should actually talk to a few of us.

Maybe it's paranoid. I think a lot of their planning at this point is based on forum lurking, though. And if they're going to do that routinely, job offer or no, they ought to fly 10 of us out to San Jose for a weekend strategy session under NDA rather than ferret our forum feedback, put their own spin on it, and send it live.

It's probably just paranoia on my part. But we'll see.

I'm curious to see the posts over the next few days, whether this is working as intended. In which case, great! I was sitting on a bundle of dilithium, planning on a market crash; I think the ZEN sale was an excitent here but was expecting a drop over a couple of weeks down to around 50 dil per ZEN.

Or maybe this was unintended and it prompts sweeping changes and rounds of teeth gnashing and apologies. In which case, as one of the barbarians at the gate, I'll suggest they send Geko out this time. Because I have a feeling that there was a meeting several weeks ago where Dan Stahl had a lot of the reservations players here are having and Geko was the one with his finger on the trigger. And it ended with Stahl backing down after being told to back off. And if that hunch is right, well... Yes, blame Stahl. Yes. The buck stops there. But send Geko out to actually deal with the community. Push him outside the systems team bubble and send him on PR detail. Assign him to collect and listen to feedback rather than dismiss it.

But, hey! Maybe it's intentional. If so and if it's working, great! Raises all around! I look forward to my $80 worth of ZEN I'll get when the market bottoms out.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    slowly ppl are geting fed up with it

I don't think it's necessarily them getting fed up.

It's the system working.

The question is whether it's a good system.

I mean, if there were no caps and it became $20 million worth of ZEN per dilithium and that sold? It would be great for everyone.

The problem boils down to volume, speed, and satisfaction for the money. And there's a right way to raise the cash value of dilithium and a wrong way. I'm skeptical.

Let's see where this goes and how Cryptic acts when they get back. And also whether some mysterious force jumps in and stabilizes the market.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    All I know is pretty soon a lot of the Zen sellers are going to say F this I'm not buying any more Zen and exchanging for dilthium at 125
  • chikahirochikahiro Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dumb question, but isn't it the other way around?

Right now Dilithium is EXTREMELY VALUABLE, and thus commanding a premium price. The highest price it could command is 1 Zen for 25 Dilithium. If you farm Dilithium to sell it, this would be a dream come true!

If the market was collapsing, Dilithium would be worthless, and thus command a very low price. If it bottomed out, it would be 1 Zen for 500 Dilithium. At this point, Dilithium wouldn't be worth selling, IMO, or even earning. Be far better to just spend a $1 or $5 and you're set.

At most, I'd say the Z:D market is currently in a bubble. It might burst later. More likely, Dilithium has simply gone up in value. Prices will go down later on, but where its a bubble or simple appreciated will determine how far it'll drop.

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
    edited November 2012
    All I know is pretty soon a lot of the Zen sellers are going to say F this I'm not buying any more Zen and exchanging for dilthium at 125

At some point the big buyers will hold off, adapt, or have their needs fulfilled. Also, players will find new/more ways to earn Dilithium (although likely not to previous, exploit-reliant levels) and hopefully earn more as the devs tweak/increase payouts from other means.

As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
    edited November 2012
    chikahiro wrote: »

Right now Dilithium is EXTREMELY VALUABLE, and thus commanding a premium price. The highest price it could command is 1 Zen for 25 Dilithium. If you farm Dilithium to sell it, this would be a dream come true!

If the market was collapsing, Dilithium would be worthless, and thus command a very low price. If it bottomed out, it would be 1 Zen for 500 Dilithium. At this point, Dilithium wouldn't be worth selling, IMO, or even earning. Be far better to just spend a $1 or $5 and you're set.

At most, I'd say the Z:D market is currently in a bubble. It might burst later. More likely, Dilithium has simply gone up in value. Prices will go down later on, but where its a bubble or simple appreciated will determine how far it'll drop.

True it is the price of Zen which is collapsing - but most people refer to it as the dilthium exchange - ""Zen market Collapsing" just does not have the same meaning to most people reading the thread title.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As a free player (meaning I don't buy zen at all with money), I pretty much depend on the dilithium exchange to gather up the zen I need for when I want something. Thanks to the ship sale, I finally got the Armitage unlocked for my three federation characters. I like that the market is so low. The reason it's dropping is because of simple supply and demand and the recent events that have made the change in the market.

Look at where we were during season five when lockboxes were introduced. Lockboxes required master keys, only buyable with cryptic points (at the time). It took more dilithium to buy 1 cryptic point. When season 6 rolled around, starbases required dilithium, which ment that the demand for dilithium started to rise. Dilithium prices for zen dropped as more people sold zen for the dilithium. As a result, the supply of zen rose, forcing the drop of dilithium. We could very well see zen drop down to 20s if this keeps up.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    chikahiro wrote: »

First, Dilithium is NOT more valuable than Zen.
    PWE will ensure that.
    The last thing they would want is to have an in-game currency de-value REAL world currency to the point of near parity.

I think there will be the removal of the 8k refining cap and maybe an increase in Dilithium rewards before it gets anywhere near 25dil=1zen.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • unknownmgxunknownmgx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    if it got to the point of ingame better than external

cry would establish a base line trade price

a ferengi in game that always paid x dilith per zen etc
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think there will be the removal of the 8k refining cap and maybe an increase in Dilithium rewards before it gets anywhere near 25dil=1zen.

So remove the 8k refining cap not making dilithium easier to get (like pre s7).What you say there is called inflation and people in vietnam for example, know what that better when they pay 55 trillions for a bread. I know for sure you are not an accountant or mathematician :P

in champions online the rate went down to 55 and they did nothing and after some time it slowly went back up .Now lets say this is not the same system in champions and lets say champions online has nothing to do with cryptic and pwe...what makes you think they want or will want to change the rate after they tried to get it lower?
    First, Dilithium is NOT more valuable than Zen.

thats not what exchange says .
    edited November 2012
    125 is a important psychological level that will have a huge impact on people buying Zen with Real money to convert to dilthium.

In peoples mind 125 is not that far from 150 - even though it is only half way - but you get down to 124, 123 and you think 150 is way off

also 123 you think that is much closer to 100 than it is as 125

the only thing that breaks this rule is a 9 - hence the reason things are $9.95 instead of $10

$9.95 is perceived as much cheaper than $10 even though there is only a fraction of a difference.

Watch - below 125 and Cryptic will see Zen purchases Dry up fast.
    edited November 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    thats not what exchange says .

Well, no. In order for Dilithium to be worth more than Zen you'd have to have a 1 Dilithium equal more than 1 Zen. The "worst" it can be is 1z:25d. What the Exchange is saying is that Dilithium is very valuable, but its nowhere close to being that hyper-valuable.

Dilithium, in this respect, is a commodity. And, much like bacon, its very valuable :)

edited November 2012
    125 is a important psychological level that will have a huge impact on people buying Zen with Real money to convert to dilthium.

In peoples mind 125 is not that far from 150 - even though it is only half way - but you get down to 124, 123 and you think 150 is way off

also 123 you think that is much closer to 100 than it is as 125

the only thing that breaks this rule is a 9 - hence the reason things are $9.95 instead of $10

$9.95 is perceived as much cheaper than $10 even though there is only a fraction of a difference.

Watch - below 125 and Cryptic will see Zen purchases Dry up fast.

Yep. I'm very curious to see what happens. It was certainly flat as all get out for a while there. I'm wondering how much of it is pent-up demand, returning players (ie, took a break and returned with Season 7), etc., and how much was clickies going away. Its definitely both, but in what amounts I'm not sure.