test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• quickdraw74quickdraw74 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well i just played on the test server. I am not please. The cost of the omega projects even at level 0 is too much. I already grind daily to get enough stuff to help my fleet projects. I am NOT grinding even more just to level my character. So it is either one or the other, but not both. It is going to be basically a fleet killer. It is hard enough now to get players to contribute dilithium to fleet projects and now you have just given them even MORE reason to hold on to it. Every Omega project I have seen you have to contribute dilithium.

We already have to grind for fleet marks, dilithium and rare commodities (like the 1000 taspar eggs and 1000 hearts of targ for a simple fleet chef) just to keep our fleets advancing. Now you add it to our characters too? That was not a great idea in my opinion.

I don't mind new content. I don't even mind changes, but not when it adds more grind to a game that is almost a 100% grindfest.

I doubt I will quit the game over it, but I will stop my monthly subscription. I am not going to pay for a game that is going to feel like a second job.

The new content is great. Love the New Romulus planet and the missions there. The Omega Force projects have little to be desired. I cannot say I will ever like it as long as you have to pay to advance your character. To me contributing dilitihum to the projects is the same as paying. The first 2 small projects basically cost 10 ZEN worth of dilithium, and that is at level 0. I would hate to see the cost at tier 5.

I know it is not going to be changed. PW/Crytic has put a lot of time and money into it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or put my real life money into it.

Just my outlook on it. I will probably take another look at it later and read up on the forums and see if there is something I missed, but the way it looks now it is just more and more grind on top of the grind we already have.

P.S. I hope they give an exact date this goes live so everyone can make sure they convert all of their EDC and salvages into dilithium. There is no reason anyone should have to wait months from now (tier 5) to get what they have already earned. That was another change that I just had to shake my head and go WTH were they thinking.
  • lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    P.S. I hope they give an exact date this goes live so everyone can make sure they convert all of their EDC and salvages into dilithium. There is no reason anyone should have to wait months from now (tier 5) to get what they have already earned. That was another change that I just had to shake my head and go WTH were they thinking.

I already converted all my items, just for safety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ull know when they be releasing season 7 when theres a 7 hour long maitntence day with no notes beforehand since they did that with season 6
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was on tribble this morning and there was reputation and all that for the borg and romulan stuff already but nothing had yet been converted. I'm actually slightly worried they're going to not put that on tribble until it's too late to do any checking. I'm still not even sure how it's really a "leg up" if they're going to be holding it all hostage like this. Anytime Cryptic has made it a point to withhold information it's a good sign that it's going to end badly for the fans.

Sigh.... This. I'm afraid this.

TBH, I've already started playing the game less. Gettin tired of running STFs, it's as simple as that.
    It's even started to affect my relationship with fleetmates, it seems from the moment I log on, someone is asking me to run another STF, so they can try to get gear BEFORE the changes.

So we're grinding.....to avoid a grind. It's just crazy.

BUT:
    In all fairness, there are a few things I AM looking forward too with season seven.

I've spent some time on tribble, and I really like the New Romulus map A LOT.
    In fact, I could go on and on about how much I like that map.
    I REALLY like the fact that there is something new in game that I can actually EXPLORE.

The reputation system: While I certainly feel that IT IS too much of a grind AND a resource sink, (more grinding is defiantly something I am not looking forward to at all.)
    I AM looking forward to the passive abilities and the "advancement", of my character's skills, (with both the space and ground passives that you choose with the advancement).

To me, the chance of advancing my character, after he's been sitting idol at endgame for too long, is very refreshing. It gives me the chance to really make my character more Unique and not just cosmetically, but in abilities as well.
    It helps to "flesh" him out more, if it were. If you get my meaning.

THE VESTA.... I can't begin to tell how impressed I was with how that ship looks. She's absolutely beautiful. I really wish I could fly her to get a feel for that lovely lady, I'll just have to wait.

SOMEONE/s put A LOT of work in both the Vesta and the New Romulus map.

So while there are things about season seven I can definitely do without, there are a couple of things that still have me looking forward to launch.

I'm sure there are more things to rave about that I have yet to encounter yet. I'm looking forward to tracking down those easter eggs.

I only hope my enthusiasm holds.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    a3001 wrote: »
    Whhhyyyyyyyy!?!??!?!!?!??!?!?!?!!?

The information is out of date. Elites grant 960 and I think normals grant 480 but I have not done any normals.

Check the release notes, most of the dilithium costs for items have dropped as well.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ikuruyo wrote: »
    The information is out of date. Elites grant 960 and I think normals grant 480 but I have not done any normals.

Check the release notes, most of the dilithium costs for items have dropped as well.

Actually it doesn't give any dilithium now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    Actually it doesn't give any dilithium now.
    Because the rewards are inconsisent or just plain not working currently. They've outright said this is a known issue :P
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    No you are not.

If you were... we'd have fixes to long-standing bugs. We would have playable content beyond grind maps, we would not have an 8K grind-cap nor would we have yet another grind-sink.

Dstahl, you are many things (Game producer, business man, fairly nice fellow overall)-- but a listener you are not.

We the fans... are telling you OMG THIS SUCKS.

It's no longer just a small cross-section on the forum. People in TTS, Zone, STORP, and other channels are unhappy. People I've talked with in game after PUGs are unhappy.

Dstahl, you are NOT listening to your player base. Our feedback means NOTHING to Cryptic.

I would be more willing to accept the upcoming changes if there were some new story or plot advancements rather than grind-map spoonfuls.

Said my piece now, take it as you will, sir.

I really like this post, cause its completely true.

If Cryptic was kinda listening, then they would've posted again.

If Cryptic was really listening to our feedback, they would cancel the proposed STF Reputation System and make minor changes to improve the current, working, system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    HOLY COW.

my worst fears came true Cryptic is trying to kill Sto.

its trying to get rid off all the players.

26 days HOLY HELL

thats like 19 hours a day forced play time.

jesus christ

we need to contact dstahl and get him to rethink this. and rethink it hard.

we cannot allow this.

this is nothing short of total kill for all stfs concerned.

26 frigging days ?
    I like this post as well. If only we could directly contact the devs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    while i agree that the changes to the new STF structure limits the dilithium far too much, i can see where the ones who didn't get mk12 proto salvages get into the grieving. I suggest that while implementing the new STF reputation system, the old one also be kept. In essence, there would be a hybrid STF rewards system. Same EXACT amount of dilithium, same drop rates, same baggies, etc. BUT you would add in omega marks into the baggie so those who want to use the reputation system can get mk12 gear while still receiving EDCs, salvages, etc. so there would still be that still slim shot at getting the mk12 gear off the bat, but if you didn't, you could submit the omega marks into the reputation system.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • chuckingramchuckingram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    acg3269 wrote: »
    If Cryptic was really listening to our feedback, they would cancel the proposed STF Reputation System and make minor changes to improve the current, working, system.

I agree. However, I'm not freaked about ALL of the changes. A refresh now and then is fine. The BIG issue for me is Dan's (and his team) attitude towards long-time STF players. He's given some really insulting reasons for the obvious TRIBBLE-over that he's dealing dedicated endgamer's, and has refused, so far, to offer any REAL clarification/rebuttals/changes based on the responses we've offered.

This situation is leaving a REALLY bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.
  • chuckingramchuckingram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    If there is one, I haven't found it yet lol.

And like I said in that post, I like Cryptic and STO, and I hate when something I like is attacked (or criticized, whatever you prefer). A lot of what mewi said struck that chord for me, and... well, couldn't quite help myself. A weakness of mine.

But it's not my intention to rile up posters (there are much better uses of my time); I was simply stating my opinion to mewi.

Not a weakness at all, more a personality trait. :D
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    there be more intrest in doing the stfs if they incresed the dilithium instead of decreased it
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    snakeswar2 wrote: »
    there be more intrest in doing the stfs if they incresed the dilithium instead of decreased it

common sense ain't that common anymore
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think this thread needs to calm down a little. STO is not going anywhere and this is not the end people will continue to play. I know I will be playing!
  • letsfadeawayletsfadeaway Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    - The conversion will be different for everyone which is why we aren't posting a chart. When you get your crate, it will tell your character specifically how much Omega Marks, Borg Neural Processors, and Dilithium your items were converted to. If you are worried that the exchange may not be to your liking, then you'll have to make the call whether to spend or not. For the most part we are posting this blog to give you enough time to make that call for yourself.

Translation:
    If you want to find out how we TRIBBLE you out of the things you already earned but did not turn you will have to patch to the Test Server, transfer a character and see it for yourself then. We will not help you in any way.

Sorry Cryptic, but this is just laughable. At least when the conversion from Marks to Dilithium came you were open about it and what players would be losing.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think this thread needs to calm down a little. STO is not going anywhere and this is not the end people will continue to play. I know I will be playing!
    All of which is true (for you and me), but some people can't be convinced until it actually happens :/
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • cushionridecushionride Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    what i dont understand is, Is the concept of "if it isnt broke dont fix it" to hard to understand with game companies???? i mean really, for me to make any amount of dilitium the way the current game sits, is that i need at least 6 charachters {wich i have} just to make enough dilithium to buy say... one spiral wave disruptor. i mean seriously this game already has more limits on it than WOW. everything is bound so you cant put items on lowbies, start a real economy with the exchange, or even with yourself. so now there gonna lower the dylithium requirements for purchases, but make it assininely harder to farm the TRIBBLE??? if thats the case they better remove the damn limitation on refining it too. otherwise it looks to me like there at the point where they just plain dont give a damn, with as much $$ ive put into buying zen store ships and account addons. i think they should be giving us more perks than jacking the only resource that gets us the toys we need to be competative.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    For me it's hard to understand to not make purragraphs now and then. :) But I have to agree on this one a bit. We finally got used to the Borg currencies, now it's another change. :P

PS: Hey wow, I just opened the 100th page! Nice. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    11 EDC
    9 Rare Salvage
    2 Rare Tech
    2 Uncommon Tech
    2 Mk X requisition
    = 1500 Omega Marks, 7(8 with a recent change?) Neural Processors, 1000 Dilithum Ore.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just yesterday I created a video recording on how to play an stf mission, only to find out just now, Everything is changing!?!?!

Ok I like the idea of new romulus and all that, it sounds fun!

One thought, having an Ambassador spot for your fleet on the new Romulus, is a great idea, yet One thing I would suggest is that those of us whom don't have a fleet (cause we don't want to be in one), yet have acquired 100,000 diplomatic xp, should be allowed the same as well. It shouldn't be just for the fleets. For why give us the title of Ambassador yet not be apart of the new romulus thing?

Also, the rewards changing. I understand precisely how good this might be (we shall see), for I have done MANY stf missions to get rare borg salvage, do alot of work in a mission, only to have somebody else who chose "greed", get it!!!

(For all missions I only choose "need" on rare borg salvage, and choose "pass" to be fair).

Oh also, I do tend to agree , that for those of us working hard on stf boring same old missions again and again, ...to not be able to unlock our rewards that we ALREADY EARNED, untill we once again play HOURS of game to reach tier 5 ????, is sad.

All in all, Since I have yet to play season 7 (soon though---looks at clock---), I am leaving an open mind and hope for the best with these changes.

Only Now , after months of playing, have I begun to really understand how to play the game best for me, only to have it all change?.

I do LOVE the new space idea, and new Romulus, thats real cool!

A suggestion: does this mean we will be able to choose to be a Romulan during character creation? If not, hopefully that shall be soon!

I have grown to become a star trek fan, due to this game. I just hope this new Season 7, keeps me interested.

God Bless the creators though of this game, and indeed God Bless you all.

Live Long And Prosper.

-Aaron
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    Ok, just checked with the designers and here is what they've done for Season 7

- Normal STFs now reward 240 Dilithium + Omega Marks
    - Elite STFs now reward 480 Dilithium + Omega Marks + Borg Commodity for MKXII Sets

- Fleet Actions now reward 960 Dilithium (1st place Gold gets 2x this = 1920 Dilithium)

In Season 7, Fleet Actions will now become the best source of Dilithium between the two types of Events.

In addition Fleet Actions will now have better rewards in general
    Gold = Purple + 1920 Dilithium
    Silver = Purple + 960 Dilithium
    Bronze = Blue + 960 Dilithium
    All others = Green + 960 Dilithium

In addition, at max level in the Omega Fleet a repetable project unlocks that converts Omega Marks to Dilithium at a rate of 50 marks to 500 dilithium or thereabouts.

The new Red Alert daily in the New Romulus Sector also rewards 480 Dilithium in addition to Rom marks.

All of this could change before Season 7 hits, but that is what the current plan is.

Complete, absolute and unashamed lie.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    delete post please
  • obiwonko1obiwonko1 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    give back rewards for group play in fleets !!!!
  • obiwonko1obiwonko1 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    give it back I am so angry errgh righteous fury and breaking good games troll.
This discussion has been closed.