What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• Options
    idonotlikethisidonotlikethis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    well i feel as though i just wasted 200 USD becoming a lifer...this ****s ridiculous and the thing that make **** that makes it worse is that up till halfway through that dev blog was IT SOUNDED AWESOME! then they say oh btw have fun spending all those converted items when you grind your TRIBBLE silly to reach t5 of the system.... there is ABSOLUTELY no purpose to that because all it does is make the game LESS fun....you know the thing we all shell out money and time to have playing STO ?

i mean i understand challenging but considering that I have been playing since launch and i STILL only have one complete space mk12 set i understand as well as anyone that its annoying that i have giant piles of stuff that as of season 7 i will NOT be able to utalize....this only makes sense if each item is going to be worth like 18 bajillion unitbux in the new system in which case sure lock it down till we are t5 but if its a 1:1 translation for ****s sake just give it to us outright... or at least TELL us how badly your ****ing us...
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Honestly Dev's. I don't complain much. I deal with the changes to the game, or just pass over them usually. But on tribble i just unlocked T1 of the Omega reputation...

20,000 Dilithium for the space borg pieces at Mk X is just WAY to high. That price is insane compared to what they currently are.

The Mk X ground gear costs 6,500 Dil now. That, I can understand compared to the current time it takes to get them.

But this is Tier 1. I shutter at the prices you'll ask at MK XI and XII. To think the Borg gear is worth that. When you already ask for so much dilithium for fleet projects, to even level up the reputation, to buy fleet weapons. Is there any sense of moderation within cryptic?

From Cryptic's perspective, the dilithium value of EDC and prototypes are not the actual value. From their perspective, they were ripping you off and the gear was worth substantially more than they paid you for it in dilithium.
  • Options
    chuckingramchuckingram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    While I'm not above the occasional bout with wild accusations and conspiracy theories, I think it probably just means yesterday and the day before were sunday and saturday respectively.

Wrong. This is business and business doesn't sleep, much less take weekends off. Welcome to the high-stakes world of money, dude.
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    From Cryptic's perspective, the dilithium value of EDC and prototypes are not the actual value. From their perspective, they were ripping you off and the gear was worth substantially more than they paid you for it in dilithium.

You are saying Cryptic has a perspective other than making money and gouging its playerbase? :p
    I have to disagree. I never got any of the good tech drops under the old system, ever. I pretty much gave up on getting anything but EDCs out of it. To me, the old system STANK and I'm happy to be able to kiss it goodbye.

Then you never played it and expect freebies on the first try. I on the otherhand have gotten over a hundred tech drops, with very little effort or even real attempts at playing elite STFs seriously.

The fact that you say you never got one, automatically disqualifies you as a person who can speak about the old STF system, considering how easy it was to get a tech drop. Keep defending Cryptic's poor judgment calls and stop trying to implement more easy mode buttons on STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    You are saying Cryptic has a perspective other than making money and gouging its playerbase? :p

Then you never played it and expect freebies on the first try. I on the otherhand have gotten over a hundred tech drops, with very little effort or even real attempts at playing elite STFs seriously.

The fact that you say you never got one, automatically disqualifies you as a person who can speak about the old STF system, considering how easy it was to get a tech drop. Keep defending Cryptic's poor judgment calls and stop trying to implement more easy mode buttons on STO.

Actually, I think the fact that he played them and got nothing while you put forth little effort and never tried seriously while getting "hundreds" of tech drops really explains exactly why the old system is generally less well liked.

And tech drops weren't the problem anyway - it was the part-specific prototype tech drops that were the problem. Rare tech drops in elite were pretty common to get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Actually, I think the fact that he played them and got nothing while you put forth little effort and never tried seriously while getting "hundreds" of tech drops really explains exactly why the old system is generally less well liked.

And tech drops weren't the problem anyway - it was the part-specific prototype tech drops that were the problem. Rare tech drops in elite were pretty common to get.

Why do you quote hundreds? Do you honestly think it is that hard? Not to look like I'm quoting Dan Stahl, about things making people laugh... that would be something that would make me laugh. I could easily prove how easy it is. For Example: I got 3 prototype shield techs, in like 10 infected space elites? What is your excuse here? That I am consistently lucky? Oh please.

He never played hundreds, and if he did, he didn't win, and wasn't good enough to complete them to get the drops. Which still disqualifies him.

Trying to scapegoat everything on random chance is illogical, the drop percentages simply aren't that low. You'd have to be the most unlucky person on the planet to never get a tech drop over a hundred games. You'd even have to be the most unlucky person to not get a tech drop in even 5 games.

Simply put, exaggerating to the point of a lie, is still a lie. Claiming you worked really hard to get that drop, when you know you didn't, is a lie.

PS: Cryptic, grinding does not = a challenge, nor does it = fun, and recycling isn't innovative either, it is just recycling. Do I have to quit my dayjob to keep up with your grindfest implementations? /sigh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Why do you quote hundreds? Do you honestly think it is that hard? Not to look like I'm quoting Dan Stahl, about things making people laugh... that would be something that would make me laugh. I could easily prove how easy it is. For Example: I got 3 prototype shield techs, in like 10 infected space elites? What is your excuse here? That I am consistently lucky? Oh please.

He never played hundreds, and if he did, he didn't win, and wasn't good enough to complete them to get the drops. Which still disqualifies him.

Trying to scapegoat everything on random chance is illogical, the drop percentages simply aren't that low. You'd have to be the most unlucky person on the planet to never get a tech drop over a hundred games. You'd even have to be the most unlucky person to not get a tech drop in even 5 games.

Simply put, exaggerating to the point of a lie, is still a lie. Claiming you worked really hard to get that drop, when you know you didn't, is a lie.

PS: Cryptic, grinding does not = a challenge, nor does it = fun, and recycling isn't innovative either, it is just recycling. Do I have to quit my dayjob to keep up with your grindfest implementations? /sigh
    I've done around 30 in the old system, I got one common tech out of it and a few blue salvage..... I have no idea how many thousand runs you've done, and I have no interest in playing the tech drop lottery.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legend1138legend1138 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For players like myself, who dont have a lot of money or have a lot of extra time because of classes and work; grinding has a seriously high cost. With the prices of what I have heard of the new STF system and pictures on the Dev Blog it will be 8,000Dil just for some antiproton pistols. That would be all the work i can refine in one day for something I would not use. If this scales then one Deflector or pair of Antiborg Cannons would cost Nearly a week to get enough. That would be playing more than the "3x hr sessions a week" that the Dev team has deemed casual. I would have no problem if the Dilithium prices where on par for what I could make/refine, but now we have the Fleet System, Embassy System, STF, ZEN System to absorb the pittance of 8,000 refining. I only have enough time for 1 toon and cant afford to rank up a second; the one I have took me nearly a year to get to Vice Admiral.

And god forbid that I would like to try and get a Temporal Ship or one from the Lobi Crystal Consortium. With the way things are it takes me nearly 20 days to get enough ZEN to buy 10 lockbox keys. With an avg of 5.4 Lobi per box it takes me 297 days to get enough lobi to buy 1 ship, not even enough to consider anything else from the consortium. An if I want an actual exclusive ship from the lockbox it would take 560 days to buy enough boxes to be statistically significant.

But Of course the little guy doesnt get heard or considered. Heres hoping that someone heres this one.
  • Options
    acg3269acg3269 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Have any of you tested the new system yet? Cause I have and I hate it. It is too much like the fleet starbase leveling system and requires 100,000 reputation to reach tier 5. It involves missions that only give out 2,000 rep. and requires things like 20 large hypos (which I'd much rather use on my character than on the rep. system.) and 1 day, 16 hours to complete. I think it is a huge waste of time and energy. I also forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of dilithium required. It takes about 900 Dilithium per project. It takes 50 projects min. to reach tier 5. That's 45,000 Dilithum that I don't earn from the STF's that I'd have to continually play, and that I'd much rather spend on c-points, save up for a new ship, or get fleet gear with. Note to Cryptic: Why not modify the current system to dish out the proper rewards based on how many times STF's have been played?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boldly going where no one has gone before!
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    While I'm not above the occasional bout with wild accusations and conspiracy theories, I think it probably just means yesterday and the day before were sunday and saturday respectively.

lol very true they aint gunna work on the weekend maybe some will stay for overtime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chiisaumachiisauma Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »

I also have had a very hard time completing my MKXII sets; as close as I can figure from EDC stacks and some rough guestimation I have probably ran somewhere in the vicinity of at least 300 since I started.

Saying that; I still would easily take the old system to this new one. While indeed I did have to work hard for my MKXII; in the process I also pulled a butt-load of EDC's/Salvage and common/rare tech as well as a fair amount of DIL. All of this was useful to me in some way or another; I could equip my multiple ships with the lesser MKX/XI so I could add some variety to my STF runs; if the item was truely unneeded; it could always be exchanged for some DIL or EC.

This new system offers practically nothing; 400 dil an elite run; and no loot pulls. The only thing you get out of this new system is "Run elite STFs TRIBBLE times; wait 2 months, and you can the be allowed to buy a XII item".

Sorry; but that does not work for me at all. I would rather try an elite STF 100 times and not get what I really wanted; but at least get something for my effort each time then be guaranteed get nothing every try; then finally be allowed to have to buy (at an exorbitant cost) the item I want after months spent grinding.

If they wanted to make it so that everyone was guaranteed XII gear; all they have to do is add a counter. Run any one elite STF; get one mark at completion. Exchange 100 marks for a proto gear of your choice (regardless if you pulled 0 or 10 proto gears in the process of the 100 runs). They could even add one of their punnish accolades to it, say like "Unlucky in Loot" granted upon redemption. Up the proto drop rates. Make proto drops universal tech.

There are so many better ways they could have adressed the "I am unlucky" factor to elite STFs without completely destroying the existing system; and this epic-disaster-in-the-making they are introducing to replace it with.
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I think this thread is officially a dead end as far as Mr Stahl is concerned. It's been 4 days since he has commented here. And yes Mr Stahl has made many comments along with other dev's during the weekend. Nothing Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon - same probably tues

Of course if the Vesta Blog comes out Tues this thread will just be buried further in peoples minds anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    I think this thread is officially a dead end as far as Mr Stahl is concerned. It's been 4 days since he has commented here. And yes Mr Stahl has made many comments along with other dev's during the weekend. Nothing Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon - same probably tues

Of course if the Vesta Blog comes out Tues this thread will just be buried further in peoples minds anyway.

So, not only are some of you guys painfully naive, but you think nearly 100 pages of mostly negative feedback can be simply ignored? Thanks for playing! :D
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Mr. Stahl,
    You are like a politican in an election year. You are staying on your "talking points; but you refuse to directly answer a question.

So, if my character has 3 Starships, and they all have Mk XII [Borg] weapons, and Mk XII M.A.C.O. Deflecter/Engine/Shields - when S7 launches, am I gonna find that I have no weapons or equipment on my ships?

Did you ever see a guy set up 10,000 dominoes in a craxy line, up hill, down hill, around corners and when the last one fell, all it did was turn on a lightbulb? If all you wanted to do was fix the Elite Drop problem; all you would have had to do is make them available for purchase from Roxy for 80/120 EDC (like you can buy Mk X and Mk XI gear)

But I did play Farmville for about a month awhile ago and Facebook, and see that it is "all about the money". And to confiscate the stuff we have earned and convert it and hold it until "we are old enough" is ridiculous. Yes I know that I am saving up for ACIII, but if I want to spend some of my money on a Snikers Bar - who are you to tell me I can't.

You may be fooling the kids here, but I see it clearly. It is all about NEVERWINTER.
    I seriously doubt that STO will survive long enough for all the new LTSers to get their moneys worth. Because you are gradually driving away the committed players in favor of the quick buck, and soon everyone will figure you out and the money will dry up. And at that time it will be like Troi at the helm crashes the Enterprise into the planet.
    And it will be you, Mr. Stahl; who is the one flying this once great game into the ground. I hope it looks good on your resume.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    This is a new game system much like the Fleet System was a new system in Season 6. We did not give existing Fleets credit for having played Fleet Actions prior to Season 6 - everyone started from the same point.

This isn't a fair analogy AT ALL. What did being a fleet member, in and of itself, earn one before season 6? Simple. Nothing. The hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of STF's that I've flown have had persistant results, and you know this. Come on Dan, forget the brain-washing your "team" has given you, just for a moment. Listen to your most dedicated demographic: I don't mind starting fresh, but I want to do so with the benefits I've earned. Throw the dumb tier 5 "crate" out, and convert my holdings at inception.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've done around 30 in the old system, I got one common tech out of it and a few blue salvage..... I have no idea how many thousand runs you've done, and I have no interest in playing the tech drop lottery.

Thousands? Oh pah,lease. http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/mewimi/yupderp.jpg and I'm not even showing ground gear and sorry I can't show all the tech I turned into dilithium :3 and this is just one char /lol

FYI Random Drops, in PvE is a common aspect that goes with MOST Role Playing Games, your attempt to eliminate a basic, time honored mechanic is saddening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thousands? Oh pah,lease. http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/mewimi/yupderp.jpg and I'm not even showing ground gear and sorry I can't show all the tech I turned into dilithium :3 and this is just one char /lol

FYI Random Drops, in PvE is a common aspect that goes with MOST Role Playing Games, your attempt to eliminate a basic, time honored mechanic is saddening.
    Uh, last I checked we still get random drops for killing Borg.... Just not those lame tech items.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    chiisaumachiisauma Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It is a pity that they quit reading this topic; becasue there is yet another substantial flaw that has been brought up before; and one that has been completely unadressed.

Multiple Chars. So, if you have one char that you play a lot the devs say that a few hours running STFs; a few times a week over about 2 months will get you to Tier 5, and able to purchase STF equipment again.

So what about the players that have 4 chars? or 6? or 12? (Yes; some in my fleet do have this many) Is it even remotely relasitic or fair to expect players with multiple chars on an account to either:

A) Put in the hours running STFs, equivelent to working another full-time job for two months to level multiple chars or

B) Expect players who have paid for multiple chars on an account to abandon all but one or two of their chars, or otherwise plan to spend their casual play time for the better part of a year leveling them, because they don't have 40+ hours a week to dedicate to your new grind.

It is incredibly depressing that this new STF system has so many obvious flaws; yet all were somehow overlooked/un-noticed through the entire development process by everyone but the players/customers they will effect.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    chiisauma wrote: »
    It is incredibly depressing that this new STF system has so many obvious flaws; yet all were somehow overlooked/un-noticed through the entire development process by everyone but the players/customers they will effect.

Exactly right. Which makes me wonder if, in reality, this was a matter of oversight. Dan did mention that they want us to fly more FM events (Which I do a LOT of anyway for fleet purchasing power and advancement). Even if this is the case, why starve the STF system when expanding it dramatically would be so much better for the game? To me it seems like they want to turn endgame from a reward to a money-grind/sink for PWE.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Uh, last I checked we still get random drops for killing Borg.... Just not those lame tech items.

This statement disregards the facts that I have presented, in what way? You just want to get the item, without doing the work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This statement disregards the facts that I have presented, in what way? You just want to get the item, without doing the work.
    grinding to get Omega marks is still work. It's just not luck based.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Will one of you be so kind as to explain what the problem is between you?
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chiisauma wrote: »
    It is a pity that they quit reading this topic; becasue there is yet another substantial flaw that has been brought up before; and one that has been completely unadressed.

Multiple Chars. So, if you have one char that you play a lot the devs say that a few hours running STFs; a few times a week over about 2 months will get you to Tier 5, and able to purchase STF equipment again.
    From what I've read PWE have very much a 'single character' frame of mind, I imagine they're non too worried about the alts on people's accounts.

Sad but true.

That said I have mixed feelings on the MK XII drops, I'd like the new rep system along side the possibilty of random drops. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    grinding to get Omega marks is still work. It's just not luck based.

Yeah, instead of just getting the drop randomly, ( which was easy by itself, since you clearly barely played Elite STFs I think you are full of bologna ) you have to pay through the nose for it in yet another dilithium sink system that no one wanted. Cryptic can do no wrong huh Mark?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    That said I have mixed feelings on the MK XII drops, I'd like the new rep system along side the possibilty of random drops. Just my two cents.

This sounds about right to me as well.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Will one of you be so kind as to explain what the problem is between you?
    I don't think either of us want to know... but it definitely seems like mewi thinks Cryptic has done nothing BUT wrong, at the very least.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    I don't think either of us want to know... but it definitely seems like mewi thinks Cryptic has done nothing BUT wrong, at the very least.
    Listening to people spout TRIBBLE ticks me off.... that's all. Beyond that... nothing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    trek21 wrote: »

Actually, if I thought that they have done nothing but wrong, I wouldn't still be here. Simply pointing out what is wrong, isn't the same as declaring everything is wrong. You are attempting to placate the issues here with nonsensical fluff.

The dilithium sinks that are being forced upon us are nothing more than attempts to gouge us. Trying to blame the players as "players complaining about nothing, look at all the other stuff we are getting they have no right to complain about the grindfest that is being imposed upon them" is derived entirely in fanboyism. I am here to point out the obvious, that we are complaining about something.

You and Mark are here, to glorify Cryptic to the point of heavy contention. Which is why you two are usually on the unfavorable side of an argument when compared in tandem with the majority. Leave it to me to defend the majority in this instance, but there is a point to be had here.

We just want this "gouge your fellow user" on the premise that "there is no bounds of reason, pinch every penny", ideology to stop.

Listening to people spout TRIBBLE ticks me off.... that's all. Beyond that... nothing.

An ironic post to say the least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    From what I've read PWE have very much a 'single character' frame of mind, I imagine they're non too worried about the alts on people's accounts.

Bleah, how lame. I'm just missing the loot boxes. Great source of EC's those were....
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, instead of just getting the drop randomly, ( which was easy by itself, since you clearly barely played Elite STFs I think you are full of bologna ) you have to pay through the nose for it in yet another dilithium sink system that no one wanted. Cryptic can do no wrong huh Mark?

Easy my TRIBBLE.
    I have been doing STFs (most of them Elites and a majority ground since joining a fleet) since they remastered them and got my first Prototype tech drop on the ground a few days ago (and have only gotten 2 space drops), and to get each set requires you two get two of each drop. it is infuriating to go through all that and then take some newbies through an STF and have them link the exact drop you have been grinding months for.

THe Dilithium sink is a little bit annoying, true, but they have said we will be able to get dilithium from the new drops through projects which balances things out. it is certainly preferable to the BS we have now where you run a single STF over and over and pray to the random number gods.

That said, i do wish they would raise the limit on how much Dilithium we can refine each day (though I would prefer there not be a limit at all.

The fact that the grinding we have been doing does not put us ahead of the curve on unlocking Omega tiers is a bad choice, but the system by itself is much better than what we had. That said, I would like them to keep the tech drops in place as a way for us to luck out and get gear sooner like what we can do currently with Mk X and XI; and a new system wasn't even necessary (they could have just added MK XII set requisitions that cost EDCs), but the system isn't really that bad.
This discussion has been closed.