test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will the community just give up and embrace lockboxes?

Comments

• cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    srspells wrote: »
    3. Just state you want missions and this will all be over.

also noone likes lockboxes but thier here to stay so why complain? wont do much except add some more goodies in them.
    So you're simply being pedantic. We know his meaning when he uses the word content. There's no need to have him explain it to you like you're a child.

As for your last statement, why have a forum at all? nothing we say here has ever made much difference. For that matter why are you posting? It's not like you'll accomplish anything with your posts.
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    because he uses the wrong term, I will make someone state as hes incorrect they have provided content.

also your right my posts wont matter, just like most of yours wont. point is why complain all the time then?

lockboxes are here to stay (thats a fact)
    LTS got vet rewards early cool for them.
    and Vets on this game are begining to realize they cant do anything so they cry about content and stuff, tell me too grow look at your whole communitee as a whole.

Point is people should be polite and straight to the point when posting, I was just stating we do get content.

hope you enjoy the next few seasons as from a business point of veiw thier doing just fine.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    why have a forum at all? nothing we say here has ever made much difference. For that matter why are you posting? It's not like you'll accomplish anything with your posts.

this i kinda got to disagree with we got the Doff system new outfits Doff UI updates new Cstore ships Diplo system ppl have asked for all thes things on here

i for one was not for them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I wonder how much of that will turn out to be "Side Projects".

Anything that is "Mentioned" but doesn't make it into the game...

Is now apparently, a "Side Project"...

I think They finally found Their deus ex machina...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    all that is contained or dealt with in a discussion, piece of writing, etc.; substance
    -The new system they worked on the fact they gave us fleet base(none of which is not substance) so stop whining cause you dont get everything you want.

I'd counter that the Fleet starbases have no substance - no functionality that isn't already available to you in-game (and has been since its launch), no opportunities to customize or personalize your starbase. They exist merely as a Dilithium sink, the end reward being some warmed-over ships that we still have to pay for. Are you really that satisfied with so little?
    2.(Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) the meaning or significance of a poem, painting, or other work of art, as distinguished from its style or form

Don't confuse aesthetic with meaning - yes it's nice to have pretties in the game but that's all it is. Does it challenge me? Excite me? Make me think? No. It's just a bunch of polygons and texture maps and the game has plenty of those already. Star Trek is about stories.
    3. Just state you want missions and this will all be over.

It's not quite that simple - as I stated previously, the Fleet mission barely qualify as content. Since this game launched we've been promised exploration and diplomacy content, the community has cried out for the war to have tangible results and casualties.

Featured Episodes are nice but there needs to be more than that - the groundwork needs to be laid to make STO a much richer experience than it is now.
    also noone likes lockboxes but thier here to stay so why complain? wont do much except add some more goodies in them.

I'm not opposed to them - what bothers me (as previously noted) is that they're Cryptic's primary money earner - and whilst they can continue to lazily make money by putting new ships (and re-painted old ships) plus Doff packs and Lobi into those lockboxes, where's the incentive to actually make STO a better game?

Once upon a time, I was truly optimistic about STO's future, but after so many broken promises and seeing what this game could have been and what it's become, can you truly blame some of us for being cynical?
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited October 2012
    polls are always better from a business standpoint, lockboxes are only way thier making any serious money.

My main 2 points in this thread is:
    Lockboxes are grab bags not gambling(yes it shady but not illegal)
    Content has been added.

point is if you look at any gaming forum its the same thing, if you havent been to a wow forum please let me save you its far worse.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    I'd counter that the Fleet starbases have no substance - no functionality that isn't already available to you in-game (and has been since its launch), no opportunities to customize or personalize your starbase. They exist merely as a Dilithium sink, the end reward being some warmed-over ships that we still have to pay for. Are you really that satisfied with so little?(thier our bases so thats new and the sink is barible if u know how to earn ec.)(agreed they are a sink)

Don't confuse aesthetic with meaning - yes it's nice to have pretties in the game but that's all it is. Does it challenge me? Excite me? Make me think? No. It's just a bunch of polygons and texture maps and the game has plenty of those already. Star Trek is about stories.(Opinion not a fact)

It's not quite that simple - as I stated previously, the Fleet mission barely qualify as content. Since this game launched we've been promised exploration and diplomacy content, the community has cried out for the war to have tangible results and casualties.

Featured Episodes are nice but there needs to be more than that - the groundwork needs to be laid to make STO a much richer experience than it is now.
    (developers have quit that promised this stuff and the ideas were never finialized while this is definately bad PR its not liable on thier part from a legal view.)

I'm not opposed to them - what bothers me (as previously noted) is that they're Cryptic's primary money earner - and whilst they can continue to lazily make money by putting new ships (and re-painted old ships) plus Doff packs and Lobi into those lockboxes, where's the incentive to actually make STO a better game?(we can agree the MU ships are awful(point made but as you stated its what they do for money, if you would want to go back to expansions (II definately would) you still spend alot of real money on those games too.)

Once upon a time, I was truly optimistic about STO's future, but after so many broken promises and seeing what this game could have been and what it's become, can you truly blame some of us for being cynical?

agreed this again is bad PR moves from a business, but also these were alot of the times promises when atari was running the show(since they dont own the game anymore cryptic can move thier business model elsewhere.

points above.(some I even agreed on)
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    this i kinda got to disagree with we got the Doff system new outfits Doff UI updates new Cstore ships ppl have asked for all thes things on here

i for one was not for them
    That's really just confirmation bias, you're neglecting all the things people have asked for on these forums that they haven't given to us. It's just as likely that the things they gave us were things they had planned on giving us anyway, no matter if we asked here or not.

People ask for so many things that Cryptic are bound to add something that at one point or another, someone asked for.
    edited October 2012
    That's really just confirmation bias, you're neglecting all the things people have asked for on these forums that they haven't given to us. It's just as likely that the things they gave us were things they had planned on giving us anyway, no matter if we asked here or not.

People ask for so many things that Cryptic are bound to add something that at one point or another, someone asked for.

agreed this is still a bad pr move, but thier actually not liable to make anyof it as it wasnt signed document and released as patch notes.

this sux but is the way of business.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I get sick of lockbox snark infiltrating every thread.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are old. The lockboxes aren't that bad and I think they serve a good role in the game's economy. But even if they were the devil, the complaints about them has lost all novelty for me.

I get sick of the baseless idea that nothing that isn't a lockbox is getting developed, that lockboxes are somehow harmful to the IP (an IP that is proudly plastered over ACTUAL lottery tickets and slot machines), and most of all, seeing lockbox complaints in threads that aren't about lockboxes, derailing things.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are mostly baseless or tired or baseless and tired at this point and the principal complaints left are about the idea of lockboxes, not the execution. The complaints seem to generally be paranoid and pessimistic.

It's all been said. Can we as a community just acknowledge they're here and they're a vital part of the game and that the jealousy over the dev attention they receive, overstatement of their impact, and paranoid, knee-jerk, endless badgering over the issue doesn't and will never do one iota of good for anything.

Am I crazy about them? I have mixed feelings. But I'm past the turning point where I find lockboxes less annoying than people who dislike lockboxes.

Do you know what? I agree with this, I don't love lockboxes, but I can deal. I do deal. I actually buy the occasional ones for the Lobi store.

Do you know what else? I don't spend money on them, I grind dilithium and use my stipend, go figure. If you don't like them just don't spend money on them.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Lockboxes are grab bags not gambling(yes it shady but not illegal)

While I would agree with it not being illegal, I would instead call grab bags gambling. And again.. no posted odds of any kind except those worked out by players. Remember kids, always direct derision and snark to lockboxes, while directing players to the known odds! The idea is not to deprive Cryptic of content, but to get them to offer us a better value for our money. People love to say its a business, so lets start treating it as one. Demand more value!
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All of this is quite true... One thing i find odd about the thinking of the folks your excellent rejoinder targets is the assumption all the players are addictively open lock boxes trying to get a ship. This is certainly not the case for me. I prefer the fleet ships myself but use the odd lockbox ship for fun. I buy the keys more for the lobi rewards and also to support the game. F2P folks add greatly to the game as far as im concerned accept monetarily so try to fill the gap when i can. Also the minor rewards really add up and can make nice gifts for people you like playing with and greatly add to fleets. Heck i might just look through this thread and send some keys to my favourite posters

Actually it's kind of creepy.

A lot of the lockbox haters seem to, with the same breath, tell how they've sunk 120 keys into the latest lockbox, after they swore for the seventh time they'd never do that again.

Repeat ad nauseum.

While there are those with legitimate concerns, and there are those who honestly do think they cause the game to be much worse for it, I get the impression that a lot of the loudest complainers are, in the end, blaming Cryptic for their own gambling addiction, which they have no intent on even trying to change or control, simply because they're not indulging it in front of a slot machine.
    edited October 2012
    wrong they did post you get 4 gareenteed lobi + 1 item, so it is not a chance.

also do demand value I encorage it as it helps business grow. but nonetheless thier not stating your getting anything but 4 lobi + 1 item.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    OK, well I put to you this - if I gave your Fleet unlimited resources and I gave another Fleet unlimited resources you'd both end up with identical starbases.

So, y'know - why not just hang out in ESD?

The only hook to starbases is the ships and Advanced/Elite weapons - lots of players want them so these became fantastic ways for Cryptic to drain incredible amounts of Dilithium out of the system.

Perhaps there's some fleets that use them for RP - that's great - I'm glad they've got that. I'm a member of a reasonably sized fleet and when I go there, there's nobody around - because once you've run around the place, maybe filed a few commendation reports, there's nothing to do there.

On the other hand, I may run multiple STFs with friends every day - would I rather they'd invested that development time in new STFs? You bet.

Heck, I wouldn't have minded the starbase system so much if you'd actually had the opportunity to make your starbase unique - but that was obviously too much development effort for Cryptic so once again we're forced to settle for mediocrity.

Still, I'm not here to argue - just put my point of view across (as have you) - at least perhaps you can understand that some people see things very differently to you (not that this makes them any more 'right' than you are).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012

i know i didnt post what we have asked for and didnt get but the one thing this player base has asked for from day 1 is more mission and full KDF and Romulans has cryptic really and come on really fulfill that ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Do you know what? I agree with this, I don't love lockboxes, but I can deal. I do deal. I actually buy the occasional ones for the Lobi store.

Do you know what else? I don't spend money on them, I grind dilithium and use my stipend, go figure. If you don't like them just don't spend money on them.

Moderator in agrees with Cryptic shady practices thread shock!!! Film at 10...

No seriously, I could say that I'm sick of people saying "don't spend money then".

Remember this post is not really about lockboxes, but about a prominent forum dweller, telling people what they should and shouldn't post about.

I am surprised as I thought he would know better. Apparently he doesn't seem to have the option to ignore any posts he doesn't like, so he feels he has to tell the rest of us what we should post.

Go figure eh.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited October 2012
    solomace wrote: »
    Moderator in agrees with Cryptic shady practices thread shock!!! Film at 10...

Yeah - maybe I'm risking the ban-hammer by saying this, but I'm tired of the moderators weighing in with their pro-Cryptic stance.

Paid or not, they're doing a job on Cryptic's behalf and these constant attempts to demean and belittle player dissatisfaction are beginning to grate.

Why not just do your job and moderate comments guys?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wrong they did post you get 4 gareenteed lobi + 1 item, so it is not a chance.

Spells

Let me 'spells' it out for you: you're guaranteed a bit of fluff (4 lobi + white common doff pack) for your trouble; but as far as the actually price goes, the Wells temporal ship (you know, as in 'temporal lockbox'), that is entirely a lottery.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2012
    OK, well I put to you this - if I gave your Fleet unlimited resources and I gave another Fleet unlimited resources you'd both end up with identical starbases.

So, y'know - why not just hang out in ESD?

The only hook to starbases is the ships and Advanced/Elite weapons - lots of players want them so these became fantastic ways for Cryptic to drain incredible amounts of Dilithium out of the system.

Perhaps there's some fleets that use them for RP - that's great - I'm glad they've got that. I'm a member of a reasonably sized fleet and when I go there, there's nobody around - because once you've run around the place, maybe filed a few commendation reports, there's nothing to do there.

On the other hand, I may run multiple STFs with friends every day - would I rather they'd invested that development time in new STFs? You bet.

Heck, I wouldn't have minded the starbase system so much if you'd actually had the opportunity to make your starbase unique - but that was obviously too much development effort for Cryptic so once again we're forced to settle for mediocrity.

Still, I'm not here to argue - just put my point of view across (as have you) - at least perhaps you can understand that some people see things very differently to you (not that this makes them any more 'right' than you are).

I understand perfectly and not arguing either, infact my fleet ddoes it cause we ran out of stuff to do, ive made alot of chars, and although I want new stuff.

I own my own company and I know for a fact people can get like this, I was in a legal despute with another company over a design we made and they breached contract, so beleive me when I state tha while I understand how you feel, the content no matter how dry it can be is still there, and I personally just make ec and buy stuff for pvp.

hopefully more pvp stuff comes but I can be content and wait for it instead of blaming a company whos been tossed around like a hackysac. I mean PWE bought them, when new publishers happen its basically a new contract so everything they state when they were owned by atari they dont have to do. they just have to build it into PWE's standard.(I know I just stated that.

I hope you can understand this from a business point of view.

also if anyones curious to what I do.
    I do Coding for websites, design logos and also design templates.Worked for 6 years in field and have my BA in graphic design minor in media design.

While I dont support cryptic I do understand thier positions
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    No seriously, I could say that I'm sick of people saying "don't spend money then".

Remember this post is not really about lockboxes, but about a prominent forum dweller, telling people what they should and shouldn't post about.

I am surprised as I thought he would know better. Apparently he doesn't seem to have the option to ignore any posts he doesn't like, so he feels he has to tell the rest of us what we should post.

Go figure eh.

as i said on the frist page love when ppl complain about the complainer :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2012
    because he uses the wrong term, I will make someone state as hes incorrect they have provided content.

Point is people should be polite and straight to the point when posting, I was just stating we do get content.
    also thats just a few but let me tell you how business works my friend.
    people who own rights (CBS) gets a cut, PWE gets a big cut for advertising and going to conventions(they set that up for cryptic) cryptic gets a cut and then some of the money goes to Q/A testers, coders when theres an issue. and finally might I say to buy new rights for other startrek related stuff.

hope this sums up business 101 for ya.
    Unfortunately yes some content is horrid but dont say there isnt any.
    -Spells

So, you're polite and straight to the point? Sounds like your a condescending Cryptic fan, that no matter what they say you will agree with so forgive me if your responses are somewhat blinkered.

Have a look -
    1. I do wish to thank you and Brandon for bieng the most helpful and active devs to post.
    2. I feel you guys do listen to the communitee but Im going to tell you why that can be a bad thing.
    • COmmunitee doesn't know what they need or want half the time
    • Players are never happy, see reason above
    • changing pvp skills need to give at least a week for people to try stuff out, let them get into thier confort zone.
    • you guys should let the tribble see more action on these changes(hopefully people test them)
    • as a business guy my self just make sure you dont post any mis information, these players will eat you up.
    • get zombie surving kit and make sure you are ready.
    • Take a break once in awhile and relax.

in closing thank you and Brandon for being active and letting us know stuff, but please remember you gotta take a look from developers view and a players view.

Keep Up Good Work.
    -Spells

So the community doesn't know what they need or want half the time?

Lol, yep, fully fledged paid up member of the CDFers...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited October 2012

Yep, sure you don't.

Read above...
    edited October 2012
    I understand perfectly and not arguing either, infact my fleet ddoes it cause we ran out of stuff to do, ive made alot of chars, and although I want new stuff.

I own my own company and I know for a fact people can get like this, I was in a legal despute with another company over a design we made and they breached contract, so beleive me when I state tha while I understand how you feel, the content no matter how dry it can be is still there, and I personally just make ec and buy stuff for pvp.

hopefully more pvp stuff comes but I can be content and wait for it instead of blaming a company whos been tossed around like a hackysac. I mean PWE bought them, when new publishers happen its basically a new contract so everything they state when they were owned by atari they dont have to do. they just have to build it into PWE's standard.(I know I just stated that.

I hope you can understand this from a business point of view.

also if anyones curious to what I do.
    I do Coding for websites, design logos and also design templates.Worked for 6 years in field and have my BA in graphic design minor in media.

That's a good post - thank you for that :)

I sympathise with Cryptic's position - they've been at the brink of going under and had two parent companies, one of which didn't value them as a developer and a second (their current owners) that see their player-base merely as open wallets.

Working within the prior and current constraints can't be easy but PWE only cares about the bottom line. If they can make a profit by developing engaging content then that's what they'd have Cryptic do. They haven't - they've turned a profit by added random loot boxes and graphical fluff to the game.

If we want substance we're going to have to fight for it, constantly - or give up. If the player base is united in what it wants (pretty unlikely but we can always hope) then that sends a clear message to Cryptic and PWE.

If the player base is fragmented like it is now and has been for so long then they'll just continue to do whatever costs them the least amount of money for the maximum return.

Is that what we want?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    well lets look at it this way PVP players whined about the RSP vs EPS1 cd, then about 3-4 days later they didnt want it to change back.(Does that sound like they know what they want) point is for that argument is people should test stuff, and I have seen that same thing happen in other games on forums.

I like some of cryptics choices, but whos to say im not being polite to you guys, ive been pretty nice, didnt rage, although sleep needs to happen soon.

Major point is:Thier a Business and thier here to make money.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    well lets look at it this way PVP players whined about the RSP vs EPS1 cd, then about 3-4 days later they didnt want it to change back.(Does that sound like they know what they want) point is for that argument is people should test stuff, and I have seen that same thing happen in other games on forums.

I like some of cryptics choices, but whos to say im not being polite to you guys, ive been pretty nice, didnt rage, although sleep needs to happen soon.

-Spells

happy customer = good for Business not to say customer is always right

unhappy customer = bad news

sorry but i dont see alot of happy ones
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2012
    That's a good post - thank you for that :)

I sympathise with Cryptic's position - they've been at the brink of going under and had two parent companies, one of which didn't value them as a developer and a second (their current owners) that see their player-base merely as open wallets.

Working within the prior and current constraints can't be easy but PWE only cares about the bottom line. If they can make a profit by developing engaging content then that's what they'd have Cryptic do. They haven't - they've turned a profit by added random loot boxes and graphical fluff to the game.

If we want substance we're going to have to fight for it, constantly - or give up. If the player base is united in what it wants (pretty unlikely but we can always hope) then that sends a clear message to Cryptic and PWE.

If the player base is fragmented like it is now and has been for so long then they'll just continue to do whatever costs them the least amount of money for the maximum return.

Is that what we want?

agreed so ill make this post MORE KLINGON CONTENT!!!!

But even you stated it, unlikely to happen.

thats all the will power I have left, every mmos about the same these days, only thing I truely want is new pvp system and voyager bundle.

I value players more then content, I get on to chill with my fleet.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012

-Spells

Once again, you talk about being polite but say that the PVP players "whined" when they were not happy about something? So anything that is asked for on these forums is a whine then, no legitimate issues? We cannot say we dislike something or want something to change?

What are these forums for then? For people to tell Cryptic how great they are and that we should be forever thankful for making a Star Trek game?

Maybe we should just thank the Devs for doing a great job eh?
    edited October 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    happy customer = good for Business not to say customer is always right

unhappy customer = bad news

sorry but i dont see alot of happy ones

I agree forums are alot of unhappy customers but may I ask you guys this?
    are you still paying them cause thier still getting alot of money.

this is my point not everyone will be happy some of the most played games in the world have a 65%+ rate of hate for the game but they still play, still pay.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    this is my point not everyone will be happy some of the most played games in the world have a 65%+ rate of hate for the game but they still play, still pay.
    -Spells

Did you know that 85% of stats that people use on forums are made up? :)

It's 100% true...;)
    edited October 2012
    Once again, you talk about being polite but say that the PVP players "whined" when they were not happy about something? So anything that is asked for on these forums is a whine then, no legitimate issues? We cannot say we dislike something or want something to change?

What are these forums for then? For people to tell Cryptic how great they are and that we should be forever thankful for making a Star Trek game?

Maybe we should just thank the Devs for doing a great job eh?

or we could test stuff for a week before we automatically assume its for the worse?

cryptic isnt the greatest company in the world but most thiser decisions are from PWE. publishers have alot of power in that field.

but yes please keep attacking me this is slightly fun.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
This discussion has been closed.