test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will the community just give up and embrace lockboxes?

leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
I get sick of lockbox snark infiltrating every thread.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are old. The lockboxes aren't that bad and I think they serve a good role in the game's economy. But even if they were the devil, the complaints about them has lost all novelty for me.

I get sick of the baseless idea that nothing that isn't a lockbox is getting developed, that lockboxes are somehow harmful to the IP (an IP that is proudly plastered over ACTUAL lottery tickets and slot machines), and most of all, seeing lockbox complaints in threads that aren't about lockboxes, derailing things.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are mostly baseless or tired or baseless and tired at this point and the principal complaints left are about the idea of lockboxes, not the execution. The complaints seem to generally be paranoid and pessimistic.

It's all been said. Can we as a community just acknowledge they're here and they're a vital part of the game and that the jealousy over the dev attention they receive, overstatement of their impact, and paranoid, knee-jerk, endless badgering over the issue doesn't and will never do one iota of good for anything.

Am I crazy about them? I have mixed feelings. But I'm past the turning point where I find lockboxes less annoying than people who dislike lockboxes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After having lock boxes in game for nearly a year now I don't notice them as much as I did when they were introduced. I agree they do serve a purpose for funding the game. I just choose not to open them and discard them.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I will never embrace the greedy gambling scam of lock boxes. The gambling nature of acquiring items is horrible. I will continue to be vocal about my dislike for it. Those items should all be c-store items. I will never like it, accept it, nor keep my mouth shut about it. You will not convince me otherwise.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I find lockboxes to be a necessary evil. Cryptic and PWE aren't producing this game out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they have to survive and have fun doing it. Lockboxes exist so that some people can pay for others to play this game. If I buy lockboxes or spend money on C-Store ships, then someone that can't spend money on this game can play it for free. Or more simply no F2P no need for lockboxes.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I will never embrace the greedy gambling scam of lock boxes. The gambling nature of acquiring items is horrible. I will continue to be vocal about my dislike for it. Those items should all be c-store items. I will never like it, accept it, nor keep my mouth shut about it. You will not convince me otherwise.

Grab bags are not gambling.
    People can make a choice to not play.

As to the original point.
    Eventually the naysayers and snark masters will become the minority.
    This will not stop their loud rants.
    Eventually they will see that fewer and fewer agree with them.
    They will become more and more silent, only snarking up once in awhile.

That said.
    As a company, Cryptic has improved lockboxes based on customer feedback.
    They are no longer any issue for me whatsoever, and I actually enjoy opening them now and again. Never trying for the big prize ship, just happily collecting Lobi.
  • cavaduscavadus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »

1. Put coin into slot;
    2. Pull lever; and
    3. Collecting random winnings.

That's gambling if I've ever heard of it.

Lockboxes do TRIBBLE me off. Sometimes I buy them off the exchange just so I can delete them.
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    actually u get 4 lobi so cant be gambling you are garenteed 1 item plus at least 4 lobi.
    So its a grab bag as hippie stated.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • cavaduscavadus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    srspells wrote: »
    actually u get 4 lobi so cant be gambling you are garenteed 1 item plus at least 4 lobi.
    So its a grab bag as hippie stated.
    -Spells

Attaching a few static rewards doesn't all of the sudden not make it gambling. You put your money into the machine, pull the lever, and cross your fingers. All lockboxes do is ensure a minimum payout.

There are slot machines which do that too. If lockboxes aren't gambling then neither are slot machines :rolleyes:
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    love it when some one complains about the complainer keep up the good work :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2012

this ^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2012
    cavadus wrote: »
    Attaching a few static rewards doesn't all of the sudden not make it gambling. You put your money into the machine, pull the lever, and cross your fingers. All lockboxes do is ensure a minimum payout.

There are slot machines which do that too. If lockboxes aren't gambling then neither are slot machines :rolleyes:

yes they do payout but its totally random at least 90% of the slot machines are.

also you purchase a key not a box and you can sell them on exchange, (key isnt any sort of gambling)

Lock boxes may only give a minium of a lobi, but its still garenteed to happen, and isnt a random loss or gain.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    even if they were the devil, the complaints about them has lost all novelty for me

So ?
    All Cryptic have done is make the pill less bitter to swallow .
    The pill is still there .
    You have just conformed .

hippiejon wrote: »

Yes they are .
    Look for the slot machine analogy in this thread . :)
    Lock boxes may only give a minium of a lobi, but its still garenteed to happen, and isnt a random loss or gain.
    -Spells

You fail to understand that a basic element of gambling is the random factor .
    You are randomly awarded Lobi . You are only guaranteed a minimum amount .
    And that minimum amount is not worth $1.25 . (imho)
    Anything above and beyond that has a random chance element attached to it .
    Random chance element + money = gambling . :o
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012

How many videos have you released of lockbox ships?
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are old. The lockboxes aren't that bad and I think they serve a good role in the game's economy. But even if they were the devil, the complaints about them has lost all novelty for me.

I get sick of the baseless idea that nothing that isn't a lockbox is getting developed, that lockboxes are somehow harmful to the IP (an IP that is proudly plastered over ACTUAL lottery tickets and slot machines), and most of all, seeing lockbox complaints in threads that aren't about lockboxes, derailing things.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are mostly baseless or tired or baseless and tired at this point and the principal complaints left are about the idea of lockboxes, not the execution. The complaints seem to generally be paranoid and pessimistic.

It's all been said. Can we as a community just acknowledge they're here and they're a vital part of the game and that the jealousy over the dev attention they receive, overstatement of their impact, and paranoid, knee-jerk, endless badgering over the issue doesn't and will never do one iota of good for anything.

Am I crazy about them? I have mixed feelings. But I'm past the turning point where I find lockboxes less annoying than people who dislike lockboxes.

Well said. Fat chance though.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I personally have never had a problem with lockboxes, and they have improved to the point where i do actually like them rather than just accept them.

I do agree with the OP that people complain about them way too much but in fairness most of the improvements have come from the complaint feedback so it has had an effect on improving it for everybody.

the one's who hate them to the point of wanting them gone forever are wasting their time but i guess its their time to waste but what annoys me is that the fact that some people use almost any thread to complain about it. talking about lock boxes in threads about lockboxes are fine. people can at least avoid those thread. endlessly complaining about them in almost any thread no matter the topic is not.

embracing them is asking too much, that's just as futile and a waste of time but derailing dozens of thread with talk of them is spam and needs to stop.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As how much I dislike Lockboxes, I'm afraid they are here to stay. :(

Only way that could change is if lockboxes are considered illegal by governments or someone buys STO from PW and gets rid of them in favor of in-game stores.

On the bright side, they do bring in tons of income.......in which I'm still waiting for in-game returns, instead of more lockbox gimicks. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2012
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    So ?
    All Cryptic have done is make the pill less bitter to swallow .
    The pill is still there .
    You have just conformed .

Yes they are .
    Look for the slot machine analogy in this thread . :)

You fail to understand that a basic element of gambling is the random factor .
    You are randomly awarded Lobi . You are only guaranteed a minimum amount .
    And that minimum amount is not worth $1.25 . (imho)
    Anything above and beyond that has a random chance element attached to it .
    Random chance element + money = gambling . :o

see you fail to understand that that lobi is an amount that is worth what the user thinks it is, the random chance is a bonus not the item you are garenteed to get,]

money+item gareenteed which can be used for items in a store, the rest is a bonus. they state only that YOU ARE GAREENTEED ATLEAST 4 LOBI and A ITEM, not that you are gareenteed a ship.

so it is a grabbag according to this logic.
    grab bag
    n.
    1. A container filled with articles, such as party gifts, to be drawn unseen.(all items are unseen just like doff packs.)

gambling is this
    gam?ble (gmbl)
    v. gam?bled, gam?bling, gam?bles
    v.intr.
    a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.(not uncertain as you know you get lobi plus 1 item.)
    b. To play a game of chance for stakes.(your not gaining any advantage or a stake just whats gareenteed lobi + 1 item)
    2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.(we do with ingame stuff even if its not costing so this point is invalid)
    3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.(dont smoke?)
    v.tr.
    1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.No wager
    2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.(not relevent)
    n.
    1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.(your not betting or doing a wager)

hm cant be a gambling when for 1 you buy a key and you are gareenteed to make money off other people if u sell it, 2.all is gareenteed in items(again 4 lobi +1 item)

People choose to buy them and spend 400$ on it thats thier call but its not gambling.
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    people if u sell it, 2.all is gareenteed in items(again 4 lobi +1 item)

People choose to buy them and spend 400$ on it thats thier call but its not gambling.

1 you not gareenteed a million dollars when some one buys a 5 dollars ticket

2 People choose to go to Vegas every day and lose it all but like you said its there call
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2012
    difference is the lottery doesnt garentee you any money infact its completely chanced based, See the logic here?
    5 dollar ticket oops i loss wasted 5$
    lockbox, 4 lobi and wow I got a item garenteed sweet.

and yep people do choose to spend money on a chance but the lockboxes are not cardgames or things without a garentee, they have a garentee, if you dont like the 4 lobi and 1 item then dont buy it, simple as that.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    difference is the lottery doesnt garentee you any money infact its completely chanced based, See the logic here?
    5 dollar ticket oops i loss wasted 5$
    lockbox, 4 lobi and wow I got a item garenteed sweet.

and yep people do choose to spend money on a chance but the lockboxes are not cardgames or things without a garentee, they have a garentee, if you dont like the 4 lobi and 1 item then dont buy it, simple as that.
    -Spells

and a lock box ships are not a game of chance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2012
    not at all as its the + 1 item, they dont garentee a ship its just there.

remember as I stated its 4 lobi at least plus a item, by law this isnt gambling.

also the reason ebay cant stop sport card grab bags as it can offer a shiny card but most time doesnt.
    most time a grab back will say u get 3 cards and 1 rare card, but that rare card could be worth 5 cents
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Very Good Post !!!
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I suppose part of the thing is that a lot of people see the new lockboxes between seasons. Like the Temporal one we got a couple weeks ago, and thus all they 'see' is the new lockbox.

But it isn't like we haven't gotten new things this year. This is an internet forum though, and thus it's pretty much the most vocal people voicing their opinion, almost always negative stuff.

I do admit I'm a little tired of them, but remember, this is PWE's way of doing it, and damn to anybody if they intend on changing it. The 'gambling' (which is a grey area in my opinion), and grinding is what they do. Not saying it's right, or that I accept it.

Nor do I think that the community should 'embrace' them. That's too far, really the very thing PWE wants, because it's what they do. Acceptance though, is more reasonable. You have to accept a lot of things in your life. Like if you voted for one guy, and the other guy won, so you might not like it, but you have to accept it.

The thing I have, isn't about lockboxes, but the bigger issue: PWE pretty much forces their business model onto STO, making it how they want it to be made. They have such an obvious, single-minded focus that really gets to the point of sickening me because of their clear, blatant greed.

And if my post gets edited for all that, so be it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited October 2012
    mimey, lets be honest all publishers do this, EA, activsion( and why not were not the ones that payed 50 million for cryptics technology.) not saying we have to be happy about it, but this is business not for lollipops and butterflys.

and if you all think other companys arnt as greedy check out the above, if a publisher wants something bad enough millions of $ works.

Im sorry I run a business so I love to discuss this aspect of the game.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
    edited October 2012
    see you fail to understand that that lobi is an amount that is worth what the user thinks it is, the random chance is a bonus not the item you are garenteed to get,]

money+item gareenteed which can be used for items in a store, the rest is a bonus. they state only that YOU ARE GAREENTEED ATLEAST 4 LOBI and A ITEM, not that you are gareenteed a ship.

so it is a grabbag according to this logic.
    grab bag
    n.
    1. A container filled with articles, such as party gifts, to be drawn unseen.(all items are unseen just like doff packs.)

gambling is this
    gam?ble (gmbl)
    v. gam?bled, gam?bling, gam?bles
    v.intr.
    a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.(not uncertain as you know you get lobi plus 1 item.)
    b. To play a game of chance for stakes.(your not gaining any advantage or a stake just whats gareenteed lobi + 1 item)
    2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.(we do with ingame stuff even if its not costing so this point is invalid)
    3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.(dont smoke?)
    v.tr.
    1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.No wager
    2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.(not relevent)
    n.
    1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.(your not betting or doing a wager)

hm cant be a gambling when for 1 you buy a key and you are gareenteed to make money off other people if u sell it, 2.all is gareenteed in items(again 4 lobi +1 item)

All of this is quite true... One thing i find odd about the thinking of the folks your excellent rejoinder targets is the assumption all the players are addictively open lock boxes trying to get a ship. This is certainly not the case for me. I prefer the fleet ships myself but use the odd lockbox ship for fun. I buy the keys more for the lobi rewards and also to support the game. F2P folks add greatly to the game as far as im concerned accept monetarily so try to fill the gap when i can. Also the minor rewards really add up and can make nice gifts for people you like playing with and greatly add to fleets. Heck i might just look through this thread and send some keys to my favourite posters
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have no problem with Lockboxes. I like the Lobi Store but I think every new thing shouldn't be put in it. I miss when the C-Store had Regular Releases every month or 3 a month. I know the game needs to make money. I've been a 15$ a month subber since August 2010. I have earned a title of an Outspoken Community Member on the old forums and a open minded individual on the new forums. I like this game. I have a lot of lockboxes on some toons. Hell I may just make another toon just to store and open lockboxes. If a developer is reading this. You know I love you. I should get a shirt saying "Dstahl is my homie". I've supported this game since I joined and I am going to continue to support it. I want to see this game grow. I want to see EVERY SINGLE canon ship in game. Canon costume in game. New assets. new C-Store Items. New game in general. I hope a developer reads this and maybe responds. I enjoy STF's. PVP. Mostly PVP. Storyline missions are always a must. equal amount for all factions in my opinion. Including Unique Story. Keep it coming cryptic.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
    edited October 2012

Would write a nice Limerick extolling the virtues of lock boxes for a Mobius destroyer??? Just wondering.
  • infernomortisinfernomortis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

The lock boxes ARE here to stay, like it or not as it funds the F2P model of business. They have been improved in the fact that they all now give lobi, and the rewards are more numerous than pevious boxes. You may have noticed that the DEVs have also made them common items, removing them from the Need/Greed system in STFs which has made them a non existent problem now. And in story missions, I personally find the endless common item drops with hypos and food in them FAR more annoying and numerous than lock boxes.

If I have some spare zen at the end of the month I buy maybe one or two keys, just for the off chance. And I am perfectly happy doing this.

As for moaners hijacking other threads, they need to grow up, stop being selfish and accept that they are not the only voice and opinion on the forums. I suggest that mods ban them as they see them because it is actually becoming a type of spam.

And for those who are still whining,

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME, and if all your going to do is whinge then go away!
    [SIGPIC]overlord_2097.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    All of this is quite true... One thing i find odd about the thinking of the folks your excellent rejoinder targets is the assumption all the players are addictively open lock boxes trying to get a ship. This is certainly not the case for me. I prefer the fleet ships myself but use the odd lockbox ship for fun. I buy the keys more for the lobi rewards and also to support the game. F2P folks add greatly to the game as far as im concerned accept monetarily so try to fill the gap when i can. Also the minor rewards really add up and can make nice gifts for people you like playing with and greatly add to fleets. Heck i might just look through this thread and send some keys to my favourite posters

sounds good I always love keys.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2012
    I hate lock boxes for one reason

There isn't a mirror universe Galaxy class
    Cruiser box which is just as powerful as a
    Bug
    For Engineers !

:)
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    They are bad. Most people would quickly pay for any of the LB ships in the C store, so guaranteed money vs gambled money?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.