test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Early Leaver Penalty

fogerty1fogerty1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
Not happy with new patch that if you leave an STF early your temporarily banned from ALL team type issions like PVP and PVE's for 30 mins.

I remember how we had the penalty for the borg missions, but this new penalty for fleet actions is WRONG.

Why? Because we are all fleets trying to build our starbases. Sometimes, not everyone you know who can handle these missions properly with you is online, so you must PUG it.

Upon entering earlier, I attempted the No-Win scenario (Which is a VA50 Mission) and upon rez had a Captain with ZERO accolade points sitting next to me. Knowing full well he is a one hit wonder who will immediately explode cryning HELP and HILFE, leaving the rest of the team to have to carry him and spend costly consumables, as always, I left before it even started.

Wham, hit with penalty.

As a paying customer since the beta days, I am REALLY angered by this.

Everyone keeps saying it is all based on Rank, well these noobs make VA in a matter of a week not even doing Storyline missions which give them the skills and 2% gains from damage and kill accolades. As I proposed in an earlier post, that I won't even attempt it anymore (After seeing so many fail miserably GARUNTEED) based on them being noobsters, if they have less than 6,000 accoldae points. They have the skills, the 2% accolades to handle more than one hit, and most likely the gear.

Of course VA's can drop it too, but the point is, they should not allow players with absolutely no experience in the game to wreck it for 4 other people who are working hard and spending alot of EC on consumables to complete these missions.

So at this point, I have definitely devised a new strategy (ancient chinese secret) and will NOT carry noobs through these missions. Secondly, I am NOW seriously considering to downgrade to Free as that appears to be all Craptic seems to cater to and is crapping on us veterans, who have EARNED their ranks and have the skills to be a team asset not a serious liability. :mad:

I remember when as a noob I couldn't even venture into certain sectors until achieving certain levels of accolades or skills and ranks, but it sure appears that these "i'm too lazy to work for it" types, can do more than I can.

Thanks alot. :mad:

P.S. I do expect the onslaught of trolls and noobs to blast me for this, about how they should have everything catered to them, so save your breath on that.
Too Bad, So Sad
PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by fogerty1 on

Comments

• anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited August 2012
    fogerty1 wrote: »
    Not happy with new patch that if you leave an STF early your temporarily banned from ALL team type issions like PVP and PVE's for 30 mins.

I remember how we had the penalty for the borg missions, but this new penalty for fleet actions is WRONG.

Agreed. Happened to me too. Quite a bummer to realize the penalty affected not only STFs but everything in the queue system.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A few days ago, I unfortunately encountered the expanded version when the Queues put me in the STFs instead of the Fleet Events and gave the leaver penality. Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I understand the necessity for STFs, but not exactly sure with the Fleet Events. Given the Events are different than the STFs, there is a lot of people purposely abusing it like moochers or saboteur's that you either end up with minor rewards for your time or leave. And afraid bad PuGs can be just as frustrating, which afraid the only action to not encounter it is to find people to hang out with to do Fleet Events.

Also, don't think non-Admirals in these events makes these Events go smoothly either. :(
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We received your message, it was as follows:
    How dare those pesky developers!
    I left early because of elitist behaviour, and I am the one who gets penalized for this!
    This is absurd!
    They should penalize players for being not so great as I am!

This is what I read, nothing more.
    Accolades have zero to do with being a noob or not.
    Being a lower rank than VA doesn't mean being a noob, either.

I know it is harder, but not impossible. I can life with it.

They finally decided to penalize leavers with no access to "endgame" at all? Good one.

If you really want to fly fleetmissions in a perfect environment ... I guess you missed the word "fleet" in it.
    You want clean clears? Go premade. Simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Tough cookies

you don't like it ??
    don't leave the fight early
    Live long and Prosper
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, sorry but I find myself unable to sympathize. If you leave your team to die before the fight starts just because you don't like the look of your assigned teammates then you shouldn't play at all. Half an hour is not enough of a penalty for that kind of behaviour.

Just imagine Sisko:

"WHAT? They want me to assault the Dominion lines flanked by two MIRANDAS??? TRIBBLE that, I'm going to fly to Risa."
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited August 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    They finally decided to penalize leavers with no access to "endgame" at all? Good one.

You're likely the happy farmer who sits in a failing instance for half hour then? Good for you.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    these penaltys should stack

first in a month 1 hour
    second in a month 1 day
    third in a month 1 week
    fourth in a month permanent

and this is LEAVE (as in beam out or warp out )
    if you lose connection you should be returned to the instance when you log in
    (and sit out the timer as normal if you are slow getting back)
    Live long and Prosper
  • lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So if I understand you correctly. You left the no win scenario early denying 4 other players an opportunity to earn more fleet marks and placing a 30 minute timer on each of them to try again.

IMO leavers should be locked out for 24 hours. It's just that disrespectful to everyone else who is trying to grind just like you are.
  • metalkorekingmetalkoreking Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you didnt even give the team a chance. whats the worst that can happen? you might get further than nowhere. So turn it intoa case of helping others stay alive, and team spirit against the odds. i find it more fun to help and fail than ragequit and doom the whole team. and people thank you when you throw heals on them and keepthem alive, true teamwork and good gameplay does not require a "win". and you wouldnt get the ban, only a cooldown for one pve :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Tough cookies

you don't like it ??

Indeed.

The op screws over a whole PUG and then comes here and complains that he took a penalty for it... FFS...

Nothing worse then people that bail rather then trying.
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    fogerty1 wrote: »

Why? Because we are all fleets trying to build our starbases. Sometimes, not everyone you know who can handle these missions properly with you is online, so you must PUG it.

Upon entering earlier, I attempted the No-Win scenario (Which is a VA50 Mission) and upon rez had a Captain with ZERO accolade points sitting next to me. Knowing full well he is a one hit wonder who will immediately explode cryning HELP and HILFE, leaving the rest of the team to have to carry him and spend costly consumables, as always, I left before it even started.

Wham, hit with penalty.

As a paying customer since the beta days, I am REALLY angered by this.

Everyone keeps saying it is all based on Rank, well these noobs make VA in a matter of a week not even doing Storyline missions which give them the skills and 2% gains from damage and kill accolades. As I proposed in an earlier post, that I won't even attempt it anymore (After seeing so many fail miserably GARUNTEED) based on them being noobsters, if they have less than 6,000 accoldae points. They have the skills, the 2% accolades to handle more than one hit, and most likely the gear.

Of course VA's can drop it too, but the point is, they should not allow players with absolutely no experience in the game to wreck it for 4 other people who are working hard and spending alot of EC on consumables to complete these missions.

So at this point, I have definitely devised a new strategy (ancient chinese secret) and will NOT carry noobs through these missions. Secondly, I am NOW seriously considering to downgrade to Free as that appears to be all Craptic seems to cater to and is crapping on us veterans, who have EARNED their ranks and have the skills to be a team asset not a serious liability. :mad:

I remember when as a noob I couldn't even venture into certain sectors until achieving certain levels of accolades or skills and ranks, but it sure appears that these "i'm too lazy to work for it" types, can do more than I can.

Thanks alot. :mad:

P.S. I do expect the onslaught of trolls and noobs to blast me for this, about how they should have everything catered to them, so save your breath on that.

Not sure if troll. Or really that entitled...

I hate people like you... who leave at the first "sign" or difficulty. There was no reason to leave... and yet you did... and then you got smacked with a penalty for poor sportsmanship. LIVE WITH IT! {Personally, I think anyone who willingly abandons a team for any reason should never be allowed to re-enter the PVE queues...)

I will stay in an STF even if its all gone south... I stayed in a botched run of KASE where it was just me and 2 other cruisers against Donatra... took about an hour... but the others were glad I had stayed and were happy to get their items.

Accolades mean nothing, especially the +2% damage ones... 2% damage on most weapons is not much... (To put it in perspective if your weapons do 1,200 damage, and then you get +2% damage... you'll be doing 24 more damage...)

And I played this game in the beta... you were never restricted from going anywhere... ever. I went to DS9 in a Miranda-class on my first day (except maybe Gamma Orionis... but I dont know if that was there, its been a while.)

Most of the PVE missions are doable with 4 people... and some are even serviceable with 3. Be a team player and stick around, or live with the consequences.
    7NGGeUP.png

• blindsaviour666blindsaviour666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

first in a month 1 hour
    second in a month 1 day
    third in a month 1 week

I agree with this, these should stack and I even believe they should be account wide, not just on a character. Although I'd change the fourth penalty lol perma ban would empty out the ques :P

Now if they would only give us a way to deal with afkers...

BTW can someone enlighten me, does this happen if someone leaves a pvp map as well? Or is it just in fleet actions?
    Out of the darkness
    On the road where the dead years run
    Cold as moonlight
    Terrible as the sun
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    anikaiful wrote: »
    You're likely the happy farmer who sits in a failing instance for half hour then? Good for you.

You get the irony that the OP is talking about a no-win scenario? If it's not failing there's something wrong and he left before it started.
    I stay in an instance until everybody who is still there has decided to leave to or is unresponsive. If the team was incredibly stupid I have a good story to tell at DS9.:D I once had a group where sometimes 4 people were protecting the Kang and it still took damage (and it was not the elite-version). I tried to assault the shipyards by myself. Leaving is not an option.

first in a month 1 hour
    second in a month 1 day
    third in a month 1 week

I guess the problem with that would be that the game has no way to make a difference between someone actually having a disconnect and someone who switches to the desktop to turn off his connection.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The OP leaving a no-win scenario that takes like 5 mins with a noob team to finish is pretty disgusting. I hope you will be locked out of queues for eternity.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you don't like it ??

Hardly believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Sollvax.
    :P

If you had tried in an STF, and you somehow weren't able to complete it (maybe only 2 teammates left) and thus, had to leave... and got a penalty, that truly would suck.

But, leaving just because you didn't want to fly with lowbies with "ZERO accolade points"...

I mean, I finished a blockade that had a lvl 30-something in a Peregrine fighter. (c'mon, Devs... allowing people to queue in shuttles/fighters in the public queue? Really??)
    An outright troll, blatantly trying to sabotage the team.
    While we only got 16 freighters (a sad run), hey... I got marks.
    That's what I came for.

If you don't want to run with them and quit, you get a penalty for leaving the team short handed. Seems fair.

Sorry, friend, but the only suggestion I can offer is to only run with pre-mades. Fleets. Friends.

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While we only got 16 freighters (a sad run)
    How is that a sad run? That's been the average I've seen, with 19 being the most I've personally seen in a run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dear OP, you sound like a coward...leaving before the game even starts. You deserve a penalty and I'm glad that one was given to you. You shouldn't just be able to leave your team high and dry without repercussions.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The OP leaving was childish and wrong.

However it was also wrong of the low level guy to get dragged into the fleet event, leeching of the other player's time and efforts. I don't think accolade points should be the measure, but people below Lv 45 have no business in those events.
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have played a few missions where people will leave early and I'm the only one left. I think it's necessary to have penalties because people will probably leave more frequently. Even though I have been penalized for being the last one and having no choice, but to abort the mission, I don't disagree with the penalties. I would rather have penalties, than not being able to complete the mission because my whole team left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    We received your message, it was as follows: "How dare those pesky developers!
    I left early because of elitist behaviour, and I am the one who gets penalized for this!
    This is absurd!
    They should penalize players for being not so great as I am!"

This is what I read, nothing more.

half hour penalty for desertion? not good enough should have been 24 hours....
    Yeah, sorry but I find myself unable to sympathize. If you leave your team to die before the fight starts just because you don't like the look of your assigned teammates then you shouldn't play at all. Half an hour is not enough of a penalty for that kind of behaviour.

24 hours MINIUM

first in a month 1 hour
    second in a month 1 day
    third in a month 1 week

Wow I agree with sollvax!

You join a PUG you take your chances. Dont like the chances? Dont do PUGs. Problem solved!
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Tough cookies

you don't like it ??

I agree.

If you DECIDE to do a PUG, you are accepting whoever the game places in there with you. You make the best of it, not leave because you dont think they know what they are doing. If you do that, you are no better than a noob who shows up in an Elite STF and doesnt listen to anyone, because you are not helping anyone by leaving.

You are just wasting their time because now everyone in that PUG is going to be stuck down a player because you decided that everyone else in there was incompetent.

Even if the match doesnt go great, you still earn fleet marks, its better to get a few, than none and be stuck with the penalty.

+1 for Penalty against Early Leavers

If you dont like the possibility of playing with less experienced players, then don't do PUGs and waste everyone elses time by leaving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • tvlartvlar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Desertion in the face of the enemy has never been respected.

It's a 10 minute match, that MIGHT turn into a 15 minute fight.

Consider it a demonstration of character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    How is that a sad run? That's been the average I've seen, with 19 being the most I've personally seen in a run.

Most I've gotten was 21.
    My wingman and I rarely get less than 18 in pugs.
    (He and I almost never lose a freighter and always split up, so that's 2 per spawn. Sometimes the rare isometric charge of death gets 'em tho :().
    When I queue up by myself, I'm lucky to end with 14-16.
    Less than 12 is just embarrassing.

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am loyal to a team. Even when they are dumb, annoying and don't care about teamplay. I never left on beginning because this is low lvl, or another one doesn't have any accolade.
    But sometimes there is nothing else to do than leave. 3 examples :
    The first one was a bug on infected space or whatever it is (the one with the kang). It was about 1 month ago. Upon completion of the mission, even after looting/end of fight, no pop message about leaving the map. No countdown for auto kicking. No others choices than leave->penalty.

Second one. Another bug. I join a cure ground mission. I arrive, and I'm the only one in the team. Half the map was done, so I wasn't waiting for others to join. What should I do, try to do the mission by myself ? Wait 30m until someone else pop up, and leave ?

Third one, the most common. Cure ground again. We start with 4 players (myself inculded). 2 of them understand english, and follow simple instructions (protect the node....) or knows the map.
    The last one doesn't understand english at all (or doesn't care), doesn't remodulate his gun for the whole match, doing 1damage all along, and spamming "Hilfe !". Basically, we were carrying him and he was completely useless. I took the time to tell him to remodulate his weapon, even how to buy the remodulator. Didn't understand/seems to care.
    On the 4 players, one of them leave, leaving me, the "noob", and another one. Are we supposed to do cure ground with only 2 players ?

Cure ground seems to attract this kind of guy. Probably because it's the first STF on the list, when you queue. They probably try, don't understand at all, leave and never come back because "it's too difficult !". I've seen plenty who doesn't understand a single word in english, spam '"Hilfe !"/"Help !", doesn't remodulate the weapon, rush Armek to rez his teamates like a lemming, starting the fight dozens of time in a row, and finally ragequit....
    Did I left this mission ? Yep. Several time ? Yep. Will I do it again ? Yep, no matter the penalty. There is no point to stay all alone against Armek.

They should at least add an option to leave an STF match with no penalty if you are all alone. You don't annoy anyone else, and there is no chance you can handle most of them on your own. Also, they should add "tutorial" pop up for your first STF, to teach you about the remodulator, the map,... Basic stuff. I've seen foundry map (player created map) with more information about how to handle borg, than I've seen in the whole vanilla game. Not everyone is a hardcore trekkie and knows about the borg and adaptation. I knew it, and yet, the very first borg mission I did, during my lvling, I didn't had a remodulator. I simply didn't know it was needed (I though there was an auto remodulation on my guns) and where to buy one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The obvious way around the Leaver Penalty is to just minimized the game and come back in 15 mins. It won't make you any friends, but you won't get that penalty either.

IMO, that is MUCH worse than simply leaving, as a Leaver gets replaced, but one who sits AFK just completely screws over the other players.

@erei1, Actually, if you waited about a min, Cure's warp out button did appear with that bug. The cause was hailing Kang prior to killing all targets. What prolonged the warp out button from spawning was people like yourself "Leaving". Worse yet, when you left, STO sent in a queued player who now got nothing from Cure because he/she was sent in to replace you AFTER the mission was over. Nice work.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • johnynormusjohnynormus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The problem is the folks who join and go afk.Or those who join a space match in their shuttle. A leaver can get replaced. Sitting there and doing nothing but hitting need on loot rolls is far worse. If someone wants to leave this sort of team because one or two afk'ers (which is becoming more and more common) I personally couldn't blame them. I don't mind staying if everyone is attempting to try but if you show up to the party intent on not helping - TRIBBLE you I won't flinch as I click the leave button.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    The obvious way around the Leaver Penalty is to just minimized the game and come back in 15 mins. It won't make you any friends, but you won't get that penalty either.

IMO, that is MUCH worse than simply leaving, as a Leaver gets replaced, but one who sits AFK just completely screws over the other players.

@erei1, Actually, if you waited about a min, Cure's warp out button did appear with that bug. The cause was hailing Kang prior to killing all targets. What prolonged the warp out button from spawning was people like yourself "Leaving". Worse yet, when you left, STO sent in a queued player who now got nothing from Cure because he/she was sent in to replace you AFTER the mission was over. Nice work.

To deal with afk's there should really be a auto kick feature....sit without firing a weapon for 2 mins and your kicked and you recieve the early leaver pnealty.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hardly believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Sollvax.
    :P

I know... leaves a bad taste in your mouth at times... but while I think his recommended penalties are a little harsh.... Don't get me wrong, I strongly support penalties... I was wanting 2 Hr account wide (in the fleet marks missions, this would disqualify you from any bonus if done during an event), and a loss of FM's, or Dil (if STF).
    But, leaving just because you didn't want to fly with lowbies with "ZERO accolade points"...

I mean, I finished a blockade that had a lvl 30-something in a Peregrine fighter. (c'mon, Devs... allowing people to queue in shuttles/fighters in the public queue? Really??)
    An outright troll, blatantly trying to sabotage the team.
    While we only got 16 freighters (a sad run), hey... I got marks.
    That's what I came for.

If you don't want to run with them and quit, you get a penalty for leaving the team short handed. Seems fair.

Sorry, friend, but the only suggestion I can offer is to only run with pre-mades. Fleets. Friends.

This ^

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To deal with afk's there should really be a auto kick feature....sit without firing a weapon for 2 mins and your kicked and you recieve the early leaver pnealty.

Oh no, I am not endorsing AFK behavior. I am just pointing out the flaws of increasing a Leaver penalty. If anything, I'd rather they just removed the penalty entirely. Yes, you have the Elitist knee jerk reaction, but there are other merits for leaving a party without penalty. Be it a raging player or simply a poorly built class queue group. There are many reasons for just wanting to move on to something else. The punishment for Pugging should be the Pug itself.

As it stands, just leave the penalty as is and work on something more useful to the player base. I'd rather see work done on bug fixes and content, over tinkering with a Leaver penalty that will equally upset just as many players as it pleases. :cool:
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Would it be possible to do the reverse of a kick vote function?

That way afkers get stuck in an STF while the rest of the team gets to do a majority vote to leave themselves without a penalty.

Would there be negative aspects of this or exploits I don't see?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
This discussion has been closed.