test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"I miss my wife. I can't wait to get back to my girlfriend."

fulleatherjacketfulleatherjacket Member Posts: 980 Arc User
That's actual dialogue from a freighter captain in a starbase defense daily.

Seriously, Cryptic? Do our freighter captains have to be cheating jerks?
Post edited by fulleatherjacket on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Did you consider it might be a scewup? A typo?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe he's an Argelian, or Risian, or any of the other species who are cool with polygamy. :-P
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd like some dialogue from a different freighter captain about how he doesn't approve of the other guy's lifestyle.

"There's more of those (draw it out) Stah Fleet Off U Sirs with their nice and fancy ships. I didn;t need me an Ed-U-K-sion for me to get where I am today. Oh look at me in my uniform with all of my fancy metals....."
    edited July 2012
    "There's more of those (draw it out) Stah Fleet Off U Sirs with their nice and fancy ships. I didn;t need me an Ed-U-K-sion for me to get where I am today. Oh look at me in my uniform with all of my fancy metals....."

"Those aren't medals, those are bottle caps."
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When I first saw it i thought it had to be a mistake. The freighter captain could be a Denobulan.

Just because we have a set way of doing things does not mean all species do, but it still seemed a bit strange.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Could have been talking about the same woman.
    edited July 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Could have been talking about the same woman.

You've never been married or engaged, have you?

I called my ex fiancee my girlfriend once. That did not go over well.

:)

First rule of being engaged. Get a comfy couch. You're going to spend a lot of time sleeping on it.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Kirk would be proud.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The various versions of Star Trek were full of carousing and species with lax sexual standards. Heaven forbid a Star Trek game should have that as well - even in something so minor as a freighter captain's NPC dialog.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The various versions of Star Trek were full of carousing and species with lax sexual standards. Heaven forbid a Star Trek game should have that as well - even in something so minor as a freighter captain's NPC dialog.

We really don't though. This game is very tame with stuff like that. We don't even have a ripped shirt around here.

edit: And how many alien chicks have you um "encountered" in your travels?
    edited July 2012
    Dang. Got all of these popping into my head now....

"So, it's the second star to the right or the third?"
    edited July 2012
    We really don't though. This game is very tame with stuff like that. We don't even have a ripped shirt around here.

edit: And how many alien chicks have you um "encountered" in your travels?
    Well, as we can see in this thread alone, it would be impossible to "encounter" anyone when some people are upset at the mere mention of non-standard relationships. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited July 2012
    Is it tame, really? With the sexy Orion / Terran Empire outfits? Dozens of hot alien chicks, etc? That one broad in Saturday's Child who is totally flirting at you?
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I too noticed this and wondered what was up with that freighter Captain.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    It's a somewhat traditional joke that sailors have a woman in every port.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's a somewhat traditional joke that sailors have a woman in every port.

^^^ Part this...
    When I first saw it i thought it had to be a mistake. The freighter captain could be a Denobulan.

Just because we have a set way of doing things does not mean all species do, but it still seemed a bit strange.

...but mostly this ^^^

Welcome to Star Trek, where we have a myriad of different cultures from thousands of different worlds. Just because one culture does things differently than yours doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Trek is usually quite tame with stuff like this. Almost every species is socially a human with different skin. That and the sorry lack of same-sex relations.
  • revalahrevalah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "To Wives and sweethearts,
    May they never meet."
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You've never been married or engaged, have you?

I called my ex fiancee my girlfriend once. That did not go over well.

:)

First rule of being engaged. Get a comfy couch. You're going to spend a lot of time sleeping on it.

Married for 28 years. I'm lucky enough that she is still my girlfriend.
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Good grief...

Get over it... If you don't like it, ignore it.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nO DOUBTS.

I humorously tell my Wife on a daily basis to call before coming home so I can get the girlfriend out the back door first....

She promptly says then I should never check the back of her walk in closet as she walks out of the room with a plate of snack food and a energy drink.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Don't hate the freighter, hate the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Obviously, the second half of that statement should be:

"It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight!"
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    could be Two seperate people talking as well
    Live long and Prosper
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2012
    ^ Glad someone else thought that it might actually be a conversation between two different people over the same open comm channel.

Also glad someone mentioned the possibility that the captain is a Denobulan.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    who is to say the captain is a man.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    revalah wrote: »
    "To Wives and sweethearts,
    May they never meet."

Depends on how open-minded they are.
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    eiledon wrote: »
    who is to say the captain is a man.

You just blew my mind.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    only men have wives

(same sex marriages having been Banned in the 22nd century )
    Live long and Prosper
  • teufeldritchteufeldritch Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It was obviously meant as a joke, a funneh, a haha. If you(general 'you' there) are to wound up, to much a square, to much of a tighta**, to much of a holier-than-thou person to see the humor in it then you should just end your life now. Effin ay...lighten up Francis.