test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

Comments

• Options
    jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If/ when we can get in the tech for displaying your forum name as "character@handle", that may be a possibility -- I will make sure to bring that up :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You're AWESOME Brandon, about a week ago the forums went BOOM! Everyone was angry and spitting venom... You've worked tirelessly to fix things and get back the features we most wanted. Thank you so much!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    jared1701 wrote: »
    You're AWESOME Brandon, about a week ago the forums went BOOM! Everyone was angry and spitting venom... You've worked tirelessly to fix things and get back the features we most wanted. Thank you so much!

That means a lot to hear :) It's my pleasure and I will continue working my hardest to resolve as many things as possible.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You better get ready to do all that because they are coming :D May even been sooner than soon(tm).

As for your other points, we're not making any more pre-set avatars since we're working on bringing back customs. For the signature, the "constrictions" have been fixed (linking, styling etc) but the new image size is what we want it to be. It limits players from the past 1280x720 sigs we used to see lol And the other points are working (just not in preview mode - that's being worked on, so maybe add that as a sub bullet point (e.g. 7a)?)
    If/ when we can get in the tech for displaying your forum name as "character@handle", that may be a possibility -- I will make sure to bring that up :)

Urge to kill...fading.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Brandon, you rock!

I hope that you realize that you are one of the few remaining shining beacons of light in all this mess.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You better get ready to do all that because they are coming :D May even been sooner than soon(tm).

As for your other points, we're not making any more pre-set avatars since we're working on bringing back customs. For the signature, the "constrictions" have been fixed (linking, styling etc) but the new image size is what we want it to be. It limits players from the past 1280x720 sigs we used to see lol And the other points are working (just not in preview mode - that's being worked on, so maybe add that as a sub bullet point (e.g. 7a)?)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

<Sets aside pitchforks and torches>

That's what I want to hear, Finally some good news! More than I was hoping for actually. I just don't understand the reduction of the signature sizes. I understand the size lock and everything, (bandwidth and all that) but is 2500 pixels really that necessary of a change? An artist can do a lot with such a small space.

Let's make a deal. If we get custom avatars back I will compose a song in PWE's/Cryptics honor, and if we get the 2500 pixels back, as well as everything you mentioned, and when we can finally put this thread to rest, I will record myself singing said song and post it on Youtube.
  • Options
    tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    thank you brandon for actively working this list. i for one am very grateful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I've updated the forum image signature size to 500x150 and updated the rules to match :)
    Signature/Avatar Rule Violation
    Signatures are limited to five lines of text, including blank lines, and/or an image. The total signature size must be no larger than 500x150 pixels and 195.3Kb in size if it contains an image. Images must be in .jpg format. The text in the signature may be customized by the BBCode in use on the forums. It is recommended that you stick with readable fonts and colors and that the size is not too large. You may mention websites and ventures that you are in some way related to, as long as they are otherwise appropriate for the community. Avatars are limited to 100x100 pixels, or 19.6 KB (whichever is smaller). No Animated images will be allowed. Strong political and religious sentiments should be kept out of profiles, signatures, and other content in this community. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in an infraction, and the removal of the offending signature or avatar. NOTE: Custom avatars are not available at this time.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Urge to kill...fading.

Ditto. It's not as good as the old forums yet, but progress is being made :)

Still need report and ignore functions, though. Also, tying in the friend and ignore functions in the game into the current forums (like we had with the old forums) wouldn't be bad either. I'm not sure if that can be done stand-alone or through Core Connect.

Edit: Might I also suggest removing post count as well? Otherwise you might as well just make a Forum Games section where posters can artificially inflate their post counts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've updated the forum image signature size to 500x150 and updated the rules to match :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

dammit. lol
    I reconstructed an old sig because of the discrepency as noted earlier, in anticiapation of 500x100. then you said it was wrong, and you fixed the wording, so i deleted that sig.
    NOW it's back again...
    *rage rage rage*
    /rage
    Thnx! :)
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    creamyzombiecreamyzombie Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm not complaining at all. But I redesigned my siggy last night... to stick with this one or the old one is the questino now...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    There is something here you might like to see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=289461 -- #66 is now FIXED :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    There is something here you might like to see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=289461 -- #66 is now FIXED :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

thank you Brandon.
  • Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Good work!

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angelfire25angelfire25 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    DEV TRACKER STILL NOT WORKING. If it is, please provide the new twitter link here. I've been missing a lot of STO news lately...:mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    DEV TRACKER STILL NOT WORKING. If it is, please provide the new twitter link here. I've been missing a lot of STO news lately...:mad:

The Dev Tracker can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php?searchid=29180861

As for the Twitter account, that is maintained by a player, so we have no control over it :(

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The Dev Tracker can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php?searchid=29180861

As for the Twitter account, that is maintained by a player, so we have no control over it :(

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

this^
    If there is a Twitter guru in the house that knows how to set up a new one....
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    We have our Avatars back YAY!!

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Interestingly, the Dev Tracker link in th forums does not work when you are not logged in.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    roacquisitionroacquisition Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Interestingly, the Dev Tracker link in th forums does not work when you are not logged in.

The Dev Tracker seems to be a search. And you need to solve a captcha to search, if you are not logged in. That might be the problem for the twitter account.

Edit: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php?searchid=29191941 works if not logged in, http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64 does not...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Join date: Jan 2010 - Original Forum Name: Rules.Of.Acquisition
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I dont see it in the big body of the list (but I may have missed it) but also the ability to minimize a forum section is gone too. I usually make the feedback section smaller to get to the Foundry section faster scrolling, but I cannot do this anymore.
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    About signature file formats.

The forum rules (that date back quite a while) limit us to using only the jpeg image file format. Yet the signature upload function itself accepts both jpeg and png file formats. Since neither of these formats can be animated, and you've stated a maximum filesize and maximum dimensions, is there any reason that our signatures must be limited to the "lossy" jpeg image format, which is infamous for it's terrible compression artifacts, particularly where the color red is concerned? I mean 195.3kB takes the same amount of time and bandwidth to download, no matter what format the image is.

I know a lot of Klingons would like to have nicer looking red artwork in their sigs.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There are issues logging into PWE sites. If I try to login automatically or just login from the button at the top of the page, I get a long error. Literally, the only way I can login successfully is to go to the main STO page, hit account, login there, and then head over tot he forums. This is definitely irritating!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    jcsww wrote: »
    There are issues logging into PWE sites. If I try to login automatically or just login from the button at the top of the page, I get a long error. Literally, the only way I can login successfully is to go to the main STO page, hit account, login there, and then head over tot he forums. This is definitely irritating!

The Web team is investigating this issue -- it's affecting all PWE sites. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    SenshiBat wrote:
    Cappy Cryptics beign mean to me

An error occurred while processing your request.
    Reference #97.d636d83f.1341090827.158c790

stupid website log-in ick
    never saw this before worked this morning

Those having trouble though can login successfully from the account login page and then make your way to the forums from there.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    About signature file formats.

The forum rules (that date back quite a while) limit us to using only the jpeg image file format. Yet the signature upload function itself accepts both jpeg and png file formats. Since neither of these formats can be animated, and you've stated a maximum filesize and maximum dimensions, is there any reason that our signatures must be limited to the "lossy" jpeg image format, which is infamous for it's terrible compression artifacts, particularly where the color red is concerned? I mean 195.3kB takes the same amount of time and bandwidth to download, no matter what format the image is.

I know a lot of Klingons would like to have nicer looking red artwork in their sigs.

Plus .png allows transparency.

I vote for a rules update. Seeing as how I'm using a .png >.>
    edited June 2012
    jcsww wrote: »

Thanks, I wondered what was going on.
  • Options
    oracle54oracle54 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We definately need an ignore list again.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    JOIN DATES:
    They seem to have the data when they award us veteran awards, is there any reason that we can't use that data to re-create our join-dates?

• Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The Web team is investigating this issue -- it's affecting all PWE sites. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    This error seems to occure in Firefox, BTW. I have no trouble logging in with Chrome, while Firefox always gives me this error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I got the error, and then it went away.
    I guess they fixed it?

This discussion has been closed.