test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

Comments

• Options
    themuilothemuilo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I realise the forum topic is quickly getting old, but I have one more thing to add to the list.

Could the old "forums.startrekonline.com" address be set to redirect to the new "sto-forum.perfectworld.com" address? This is because I still find myself periodically just writing "for" in google chrome's address bar and selecting the first address that pops up, which is obviously "forums.startrekonline.com". Then I'm greeted with the "We'll be back soon" text and stand puzzled for a few moments until I remember that the forums have moved to a new address.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2012
    I have an Avatar that should be transparent but it isn't, how do I fix it.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    themuilo wrote: »
    I realise the forum topic is quickly getting old, but I have one more thing to add to the list.

Could the old "forums.startrekonline.com" address be set to redirect to the new "sto-forum.perfectworld.com" address? This is because I still find myself periodically just writing "for" in google chrome's address bar and selecting the first address that pops up, which is obviously "forums.startrekonline.com". Then I'm greeted with the "We'll be back soon" text and stand puzzled for a few moments until I remember that the forums have moved to a new address.

This redirect has been set up since we launched the new forums :) Please clear your cache, or when you get to that screen, hit refresh.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but it would be great if the devtracker would be working again without the need to login. I always liked to casually glimpse at the new dev posts before deciding to log in and comment (or not). :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    themuilothemuilo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This redirect has been set up since we launched the new forums :) Please clear your cache, or when you get to that screen, hit refresh.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Oh *feeling very dumb right now*. Confirmed the redirect is in fact there :P
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but it would be great if the devtracker would be working again without the need to login. I always liked to casually glimpse at the new dev posts before deciding to log in and comment (or not). :)

You can use it when not logged in; you just need to enter the captcha :) That's definitely not how we'd like it to work, though, so were trying to figure out how we can remove captcha on that search :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Branflakes, on the "General Settings" tab, is the "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" option perhaps configured as "Inactivity/Cookie Based" instead of "Database (automatic forum marking)"? It seems a lot of new messages are being marked read for me after just staying in the forum for a while and not actually reading them. Letting the database track what's read or not is preferred from a user perspective and it was how the old forum was configured.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can use it when not logged in; you just need to enter the captcha :) That's definitely not how we'd like it to work, though, so were trying to figure out how we can remove captcha on that search :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

so when the Captcha gets figured out, then we might see a new twitter link dev Tracker?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    so when the Captcha gets figured out, then we might see a new twitter link dev Tracker?

I believe that is the missing link that the player who created it needs to remake it again. :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Umm, I'm sorry if I mistake the thread, but I don't feel like rereading the last few dozen pages, yet I remember Brandon to post such requests "somewhere", this seems a likely place.

I'd like to ask for a thread to be stickied, namely the new SpiderMitch ship chart thread: link.
    The old one is still stickied and I think I don't need to stress the usefulness of those charts.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    Umm, I'm sorry if I mistake the thread, but I don't feel like rereading the last few dozen pages, yet I remember Brandon to post such requests "somewhere", this seems a likely place.

I'd like to ask for a thread to be stickied, namely the new SpiderMitch ship chart thread: link.
    The old one is still stickied and I think I don't need to stress the usefulness of those charts.

I've stuck the new one and unstuck the old :) Thanks for pointing out that it had been remade.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the reply and all the efforts, Brandon!

I imagine the last few days must have been a bit more stressful than usual. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've stuck the new one and unstuck the old :) Thanks for pointing out that it had been remade.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Lovely, thanks.
    Now if only the searches by poster's name worked, then the forums would become quite satisfactory, for me, anyway. ;)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Brandon, do you think there is any chance of getting our joindates back? I know they have the info/data required because it's used for veteran awards. If this is something you are already working on, cool.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any chance getting this feature enabled?

I'd like to at least use it to show all my own posts.

Still getting the Database Error message :(
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    edited July 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »

Well, sort off ..

"22. There is no easy way to "find all posts by X person" (a tool I used to track threads I posted in, and see responses.)"

I'm more referring to a search function by name (either with a key word, or without). No doubt #22 is tied into the search function. I think that issue relates to the ability to click the links (All Posts, All Threads Started) on the persons profile that we had in the old forums.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One method I found to track my own posts was to use "site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com" followed by my forum handle, it displays past post I have made, for you it would be:

"site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com jkstocbr"

Edit, the above is not supposed to be a link, but a search entry into google.
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Well, sort off ..

"22. There is no easy way to "find all posts by X person" (a tool I used to track threads I posted in, and see responses.)"

I'm more referring to a search function by name (either with a key word, or without). No doubt #22 is tied into the search function. I think that issue relates to the ability to click the links (All Posts, All Threads Started) on the persons profile that we had in the old forums.

#33 -- searching by username is broken...

But yes, the lack of a "find more posts by" or "show all posts by" functionality is annoying.

I also don't like this CoreConnect (which isn't even implemented for STO) as a replacement for standard vBulletin profiles. :mad:
    edited July 2012
    defalus wrote: »
    One method I found to track my own posts was to use "site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com" followed by my forum handle, it displays past post I have made, for you it would be:

[URL="site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com jkstocbr"]site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com jkstocbr[/URL]

Great idea, use Google for basic forum functions. ^^ *shakes head*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Join date: Jan 2010 - Original Forum Name: Rules.Of.Acquisition
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Add another vote for "find more posts by" or "show all posts by" functionality.

(In addition to fixing forum search so we didn't have to use a Google workaround.)
    edited July 2012
    Great idea, use Google for basic forum functions. ^^ *shakes head*

Goes nicely with the hidden links to old functionality.
    edited July 2012
    defalus wrote: »

"site:http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com jkstocbr"

Edit, the above is not supposed to be a link, but a search entry into google.

That's an excellent suggestion, thanks :)
  • Options
    roacquisitionroacquisition Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Goes nicely with the hidden links to old functionality.

Aye, but PWE broke it, now they should fix it! Workarounds don't count!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    roacquisitionroacquisition Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Add another vote for "find more posts by" or "show all posts by" functionality.

(In addition to fixing forum search so we didn't have to use a Google workaround.)

I second that! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited July 2012
    woghd wrote: »
    Brandon, do you think there is any chance of getting our joindates back? I know they have the info/data required because it's used for veteran awards. If this is something you are already working on, cool.

This is something we'd like to do -- I was mentioning in another thread that it might not be available until we can get posting as your character@handle tech working (no ETA at this time). :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Besides the 60+ forum issues that still need to be worked out, any chance we can get some details and STO functionality for this "CORE Connect" thingy?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2012
    Threads I have not read are automatically marked as read after a while making it difficult to keep up with what's going on in them.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There is something here you might like to see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=289461 -- #66 is now FIXED :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

HuuuuuuuuuuuuZAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

dance a jig. DONE!

hug the first person I see. DONE!

do cartwheels. DONE!

send a letter to the president requesting a national holiday. DONE!

and compose a song in your honor. ....ah... this might take a while... but IT WILL HAPPEN.

Meanwhile.... time to get my hot sixties babes back in full size! :D Celebrate good times, COME ON! It's a celebration!

<Moonwalks away>
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Threads I have not read are automatically marked as read after a while making it difficult to keep up with what's going on in them.

I asked Brandon about that in [POST]4528291[/POST] but I suppose the question got lost for the very same reason...
This discussion has been closed.