test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Alright, the so the new forums suck. Instead of just griping, let's do something constructive while we grip and make a list of every single reason we hate the new forums. Hopefully it will not fall on deaf ears.

So far we have:

1. The white GUI on black background is garish and downright painful to look at. FIXED (text is now gray again)
2. The buttons are all artifacty and ugly.
3. The quote buttons are at the top instead of the bottom of the posts. (why?)
4. The header, while pretty, is too damned big.
5. Signatures seem to be broken and more constricting. - FIXED
6. When editing a post, it automatically goes into quick reply.
7. Quick Reply doesn't work, giving poster "No thread specified" error message. - this seems to be working now
8. Followed threads and mail are unavailable.
9. The "Top" button is no longer available.
10. No more "Hotlinking" threads to your signature. Now you need to "Bump" them instead. :rolleyes: - FIXED
11. A post counter.
12. No more "location" status? Awe..... :frown:
13. The Dev tracker appears to be broken. - WORKING
14. Why are the thread buttons so big? The font hasn't changed.
15. Conversely, why are the smilies so small?
16. All of our previous posts are now attributed to the "Archive Post" user, rather than our accounts.
17. Many posters have been rendered unable to use their their original name.
18. Our names cannot use Caps.
18 ?. Nor can we use underscores.
19. BBCode is disabled in signatures (would be nice to be able to style text there) - FIXED
20. Smileys and forum buttons are anti-aliased to white instead of black.
21. There is no "you have posted in this thread" marker when you view "Today's Posts"
22. There is no easy way to "find all posts by X person" (a tool I used to track threads I posted in, and see responses.)
23. Stock avatars are not diverse enough to really identify with - duplicate of last bullet point Not at all. If we are going to be stuck with stock avatars (which previous PWE games suggest) there are far too few to identify our peers with. Of course, custom avatars would solve this problem
24. When the signature is changed, it doesn't change on all of our old posts and replies. Just on ones after you changed it. -FIXED
25.When subscribing to a thread, the redirection page is a white background with a small black box of text in the middle.
26. The Galaxy Class in the header is the old one, rather than the one currently in game.
27. Can't see what threads you've posted in anymore (posted in icon)
28. Can't see what threads devs have posted in anymore (dev icon)
29. The bullet list feature does not work (or is unstyled) - FIXED
30. (Neither does the Paragraph feature) - FIXED
31. The 'Dominion' Avatar is spelled 'Dominian' - FIXED
32. Forum PMs aren't integrated with in-game PMs / Mail. Can't check in Core Connect either.
33. Forum searches return a database error. (semi-fixed: only when searching by display name)
34. Quote, Multi-Quote, etc, buttons are misaligned.
35. Facebook now auto-links. GL with privacy.
36. No warning as to forum and infrastructure migration
37. If all these changes weren't enough, you also have to learn PWE's Core connect (with a completely different avatar and an Achievement system irrelevant to STO)
38. Nothing on Core Connect works with STO, including Friends and Guilds (Fleets)
39. Finding any of your fleet mates and friends in the new forums is an exercise in futility, given all the changes to forum handles and friends lists.
40. No "Report to Moderator" function (none at all; start posting whatever flame wars and questionable URLs you want)
41. (No basic forum rules either.) (they were there, just grouped with other announcements) - FIXED
42. No more adjusting the number of posts visible in each thread anymore.
43. Option to reset timezone settings has apparently disappeared. - WORKING HERE: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
43a. The above option is not visible in the UserCP, only by visiting the link above. - FIXED - this is now available in the UserCP
44. Usage of the phrases "New Posts" and "Today's Post" (upper left near "your" avatar) is inconsistent. If both links have similar functions, they should be condensed.
45. Breadcrumbs links at the top of the forum section say "Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online Discussion" (for example). The first breadcrumb should say "Star Trek Online Forums", since that link does not actually lead to the main STO site. (anymore)
46. The thread Smilies, thumbs up/down, exclamation, lightbulb, etc. no longer function.
47. No way to send a Forum PM. (Or now it's just more convoluted.) This is available by clicking on "Private Messages" above, towards the top-right. Direct link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/private.php ("Send New Message" under 'Private Messages')
48. No more "online" "offline" status underneath the Avatar.
49. Actual, honest to god, spam posts. Great Job PWE!!!
50. No more French and German subforum. This sucks hard. - they are available, just separate from the EN forum. DE: http://sto-forum.de.perfectworld.eu/ FR: http://sto-forum.fr.perfectworld.eu/
51. When using an iPad, (Or android) log in box disappears underneath the virtual keyboard. (Mobile browsers are not officially supported. To log in without the log in box, when signed out, click on "New Thread" at the top of the forums and it will take you to a static log-in page)
52. Character profiles have finally bit the dust. No longer able to login and check your bio, or captain's log, etc.
53. Some merged accounts have had their subscribed to game days reset to 0! - this is just a graphical glitch. If it does not straighten itself out, reach out to Support and they can help
54. There is no longer a drop down list to jump to different sub-forums.
55. Forum is running vBulletin 3.7.1 from over 4 years ago, the most recent version is vBulletin is 4.2 from a month ago.
56. Dev names not gold anymore - FIXED
57. Signature no longer separate from the post body.
58. The only thing identifying new threads is slightly bolder font.
59. Can't turn off Lifetime Sub title if desired - FIXED
60. When merging accounts the account name shown as the display name, without a way to change it.
61. Signature limit is now 2500 pixels less than what it used to be. - FIXED
62. STO and PWE RSS feeds are no longer separate. - FIXED [URL="feed://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?tag=sto-news&feed=rss2"]feed://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?tag=sto-news&feed=rss2[/URL]
63. The Subscription List appears to be inputting the view count into the replies box.
64. The scrolling "facebook" search bar on the STO main page is obnoxious and should at least be locked in place.
65. None of the "Thread Subscription" types are functioning.
They are as follows:
*Instant email notification
*Daily email notification
*Weekly email notification
66. NO CUSTOM AVATARS??!?!?! WTF?!?!?! - FIXED. See this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=289461 We're gonna have a good time tonight, Let's celebrate, It's all right..... CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON!!!
67. sto.perfectworld.com (and the forums as well) could use some kind of favicon to distinguish it in bookmark folders.
68. Sometimes hitting reply will take you to Zen promo popup pages. No it doesn't make me want to buy any. Stop it.

Feel free to contribute your gripes, complaints, irritations, pet peeves, sorrows, woes, pains, grumps, indispositions, infirmities, kvetches, murmurs, mutterings, discontentment, objections, and yammerings. I will update this post as they come in. :wink:
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    17. All of our previous posts are now attributed to the "Archive Post" user, rather than our accounts.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    18. Ban Hammer has (temporary?) amnesia. Not that I shouldn't be posting or anything. Nope. Not me. No Sir. :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    17. A lot of people lost their original name and we can't have captial letters in our name.

For example, The.Grand.Nagus is now thegrandnagus1.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2012
    1. The white GUI on black background is garish and downright painful to look at.

I like dark backgrounds, it's easy on my eyes. Bright backgrounds are like staring into a lightbulb

Adblock plus can get rid of 2 & 4 ;)
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    18. white tooltips on a black site.. talk about irritating
    19. BBCode is disabled in signatures (would be nice to be able to style text there)
    21. Reply and MultiQuote buttons should be at the bottoms of posts.
    22. There is no "you have posted in this thread" marker when you view "Today's Posts"
    23. There is no easy way to "find all posts by X person" (a tool I used to track threads I posted in, and see responses.)
    24. The forum is very difficult to use without custom avatars.
    25. stock avatars are not diverse enough to really identify with. If we're going to be limited to stock avs, we need MANY MORE. If we're going to be stuck with just 8, they might as well be removed. - maybe the main photo from our "CORE" profiles could be used instead?
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    26. When subscribing to a thread, the redirection page is a white background with a small black box of text in the middle. This can not be intended.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • Options
    quiiliitiilaquiiliitiila Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, the signatures don't seem to be working half the time and the no custom avatar is really stupid.

What was wrong with the original forums?

-Quiiliitiila

Fingers crossed my signature works!
  • Options
    cosmoscolacosmoscola Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Alright, the so the new forums suck. Instead of just griping, let's do something constructive while we grip and make a list of every single reason we hate the new forums. Hopefully it will not fall on deaf ears.

So far we have:

1. The white GUI on black background is garish and downright painful to look at.
    5. Signatures seem to be broken and more constricting.
    7. Quick Reply doesn't work, giving poster "No thread specified" error message.
    10. No more "Hotlinking" threads to your signature. Now you need to "Bump" them instead. :rolleyes:
    11. A post counter. Let the TRIBBLE begin!
    13. The Dev tracker appears to be broken.
    16. All of our previous posts are now attributed to the "Archive Post" user, rather than our accounts.
    19. NO CUSTOM AVATARS??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

Feel free to contribute your gripes, complaints, irritations, pet peeves, sorrows, woes, pains, grumps, indispositions, infirmities, kvetches, murmurs, mutterings, discontentment, objections, and yammerings. I will update this post as they come in. :wink:

This and more my friend. As soon as you close your browser, you get logged out. That never happend before. "Instant e-mail notification" is destroyed, I can?t use certain symbols in writing text. The awsome "Dev post" That showed if the devs had responded is gone also, You can?t see all the threads or posts by a single person anymore. This and more. It?s called BETA for a reason, man!!
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    (don't know what number). When we change our signature, it doesn't change on all of our old posts and replies. Just on ones after we changed it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    darthpanda16darthpanda16 Member Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is helpful, thank you!

Would one or some of you please put together a thorough list of broken features and changed things, then post them here?: http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=2261
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    #?. The "Search forum posts by username" function is broken.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Some more for you:-

Artifacts on smilie icons (they are gifs with white backgrounds)

The reply and preview buttons are mis aligned in the reply to thread screen

The bullet list feature dos not work (or is unstyled)

Can't see what threads you've posted in anymore (posted in icon)

Can't see what threads devs have posted in anymore (dev icon)

The Jquery post window is to birght, the contrast hurts the eyes

The Galaxy class used in the backgroudn is the old one from when the game launched, not the one currently ingame.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is helpful, thank you!

Would one or some of you please put together a thorough list of broken features and changed things, then post them here?: http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=2261

I have linked this thread into that post as well as the original list of issues. if anymore crop up after please list them here.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Just noticed the buttons above pur posts are misaligned as well.

I also saw that in the merge account offer it said our names may of been reserved, do you think this might be why all our display names were takne? Since there was no way to claim reserved names was there? If that is the case, they successfully managed to prevent every single user from keeping thier original name, lol
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Don't forget the 'Dominion' Avatar is spelled 'Dominian'. :biggrin:
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I made my own list before running into this thread, but it's mostly functionality-related. Enjoy :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Keep em' coming. Keep em' coming. There's plenty of room, we're not even to 50 yet. :tongue:
  • Options
    oxytorchoxytorch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    LOL PWE will never learn , If it aint broke dont fix it :mad: Yet things broken go unfixed
    b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry We love this game STOP RUINING IT !! b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry

"Sometimes the strongest are the ones that walk away . Enough is Enough ".
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The rubbish AV's are doing my head in.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    #?. Thread subscriptions; Can't get "Instant Email Notification" to work (for me anyway) :(:(:(
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Overll yes I agree with most everything here. However this one item is quite the oxymoron. If you are worried about privacy in the first place, FB is not the place for you.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    I really appreciate the comprehensive list, and that you are planning on keeping this updated as you and the community find more items to list. I can't say what on the list will change/ will not change/ is already scheduled to change etc., but please know I am reading as many posts as I can and passing along feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is a horrible horrible mess.

I cannot believe they did this. WHY?
    Why would they basically destroy a perfectly good forum? The forum was the ONE thing that nobody ever complained about! It had cool features...etc., etc. It was the result of hundreds of tweaks that I can remember since 2008, things like the lack of a post counter. I remember when they removed it from the old forum, there was rejoycing!

Now it's back!!!!
    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

We had the old forum just the way we all wanted it.

Why on EARTH did they trash all that?
    IF IT WORKS DON"T FIX IT!!

:mad:
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I really do miss that TOP button, at the bottom of the threads...

And the option to correct the time zone marker for EDT (my Time Zone).

(I guess that would be #43.)

#44. I can't adjust the number of posts I see in each thread anymore either.

(I used to be able to set the number to 30, now there is no option but 10.)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I really appreciate the comprehensive list, and that you are planning on keeping this updated as you and the community find more items to list. I can't say what on the list will change/ will not change/ is already scheduled to change etc., but please know I am reading as many posts as I can and passing along feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Then why don't you sticky it then?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012

What is the point of the post counter anyways?
    And why is it TRIBBLE?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What is the point of the post counter anyways?
    And why is it TRIBBLE?

I believe it's standard internet slang. I've seen the term "post TRIBBLE" used for people who make useless/spam posts for the sake of raising their post count across various forums. Those people then use their high post count to ridicule those who have low post counts, as if a low post count suddenly invalidates what a person says.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    njdmb30njdmb30 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This list is amazing. Everything listed in the original post is valid and deserved to be changed. I can't believe that PWE took the mediocre STO forums and made them even worse.
    edited June 2012
    The "User CP" link appears in different places if you're at the main forum menu versus viewing an individual thread.

Sometimes, when I have multiple threads open in different tabs, I get an error when I try to quote: "You have selected 3 posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts." I have to deselect, then go back to thread, and quote again, to get a quote to work properly.

The "Welcome to STO" sticky thread at the top of the "Federation News Network" section has a broken link. The "Forum Guidelines" link now directs to a Ferengi Lockbox FAQ, which has been stickied as an announcement at the top of the News section.

http://p1.portal2sounds.com/36
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2012

So far we have:

5. Signatures seem to be broken and more constricting.
    7. Quick Reply doesn't work, giving poster "No thread specified" error message.
    10. No more "Hotlinking" threads to your signature. Now you need to "Bump" them instead. :rolleyes:
    13. The Dev tracker appears to be broken.
    19. BBCode is disabled in signatures (would be nice to be able to style text there)
    21. There is no "you have posted in this thread" marker when you view "Today's Posts"
    22. There is no easy way to "find all posts by X person" (a tool I used to track threads I posted in, and see responses.)
    23. Stock avatars are not diverse enough to really identify with
    24. When the signature is changed, it doesn't change on all of our old posts and replies. Just on ones after you changed it.
    25.When subscribing to a thread, the redirection page is a white background with a small black box of text in the middle.
    26. The Galaxy Class in the header is the old one, rather than the one currently in game.
    27. Can't see what threads you've posted in anymore (posted in icon)
    28. Can't see what threads devs have posted in anymore (dev icon)
    29. The bullet list feature does not work (or is unstyled)
    30. (Neither does the Paragraph feature)
    31. The 'Dominion' Avatar is spelled 'Dominian'
    32. Forum PMs aren't integrated with in-game PMs / Mail. Can't check in Core Connect either.
    33. Forum searches return a database error.
    34. Quote, Multi-Quote, etc, buttons are misaligned.
    36. No warning as to forum and infrastructure migration
    37. If all these changes weren't enough, you also have to learn PWE's Core connect (with a completed different avatar and an Achievement system irrelevant to STO)
    38. Nothing on Core Connect functions with STO, including Friends and Guilds (Fleets)
    39. Finding any of your fleet mates and friends in the new forums is an exercise in futility, given all the changes to forum handles and friends lists.
    40. No "Report to Moderator" function (none at all; start posting whatever flame wars and questionable URLs you want)
    41. (No basic forum rules either.)
    42. NO CUSTOM AVATARS??!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

well done sir this is what we want make it so!

ps the white really sucks anyone esle getting head aches
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.