test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problems with the new forums: A complete list.

Comments

• felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just realized: that Archived Post guy has capital letters in his name. And since he is technically all of us, we should have them too!

We can't edit the titles of our posts?
    Edit: We have to open the full editor to do so, we can't do it using the quick edit feature :(

2 STO FORUM CRITICAL POINTS - SHOWSTOPPERS:

1) Access to the In-game Mail from the Website is very important.

Two things about this post:

1. Its title was too long, and ended up being two lines, which pushed the date it was posted on down below the top line of the post box where it should be.

2. Access to in-game mail is also important because it was the only way to mass delete emails. In game we have to do it one by one... and for people that sell things on the exchange, or get many emails, that can be VERY annoying.
  • itewkitewk Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My big issue is now the STO news is merged in with all PWE news as far as the RSS feed goes.

To that end I used Yahoo Pipes to filter the PWE news feed to only include STO news.

Go to this address and pick your favorite RSS subscription method if you would like the STO news only: http://pipes.yahoo.com/tewk/startrekonline

I am taking advantage of a meta tag they are setting in the feed that specifies the articles as "STO News". I will keep an eye on it to make sure it continues to work.

Blue Skies,

~Tewk
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm over from the Champs boards. I feel your pain, space brothers. We are having a forced merge on Thursday.

Hold me.

Least you GOT a Warning/Heads-up.
    STO.Perfectworld.com should have a delta shield favicon to distinguish it from other web bookmarks, more to the point: the forums have never had a proper favicon so it would be nice if they shared the same or similar delta shield favicon so bookmarked threads can also be more easily identified.

Bumps: Especially agreed about the no custom avatars, I worked hard on mine! Not being able to have caps or the odd symbol here & there in usernames (or at least be able to edit the display name). Extreme bummer about the captain database, it as been in disrepair for so long I figured the whole concept would get junked sooner or later despite Cryptic's goals to make it more functional & integrated (thank the users we still have STOWIKI). Would definitely like the signature image size back to what it was, & buttons look really bad on the black background... seriously? All buttons on the site should at least be reminiscent of L-cars.

I should really stop there before I go into even more unimportant details, the game is what counts. Though the longer I take my hiatus from the game the less I even want to come back if it's all just gonna be a hassle & focus wayyy too much on microtransactions. Not intending to disrespect everyone's hard work, but the site was much better the way it was & it's pretty frustrating; but thanks to the team for at least keeping an open line of communication, & of course to the users for sustaining a cumulative voice.

This turned out to be an interesting read...

To bad in it's original form, it was TOTALLY UN-READABLE !!!

Kinda ironic since you're talking about things looking bad...

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    Least you GOT a Warning/Heads-up.

This turned out to be an interesting read...

To bad in it's original form, it was TOTALLY UN-READABLE !!!

Kinda ironic since you're talking about things looking bad...

heh thanks for translating it, I didn't even bother looking at it once I saw the colors, especially the purple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited June 2012
    BS BS BS BS BS ...and more of the same...BS! "if" PWE really wants happy, satisified, faithful customers....then they should consider the following:

Here's MY SUGGESTION: Right the wrong for those of us who name have a different forum name vs. in-game handle.

Put an option in the C-Store to allow us to FIX this ourselves. Now, I understand we cannot go back and re-do the forum names (due to outdated programming), but it has recently been revealed that PWE DOES have the authority to change IN-Game @handles (at their discretion). Therefore, I am sincerely asking that a feature be added to the C-store to RESOLVE the issues that were made by PWE's linking debacle last week.

The positives for PWE: YOU MAKE $$$

and...

get happy customers back,
  • bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Great thread! :smile:
  • nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I love this thread! Great list...may we all hope it grows smaller and smaller....
  • woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The number one problem with these forums is PWE.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • captjerry11captjerry11 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Lock the facebook likes thing at the top of the page it is very distracting when your tying to read the Dev blog and other posts.

Thanks!
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yes it has been confirmed. I mentioned it to Askray (community mod) via Core and its mentioned in the "Problems with the new forums: A complete list" thread.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    askray wrote: »
    Yeah finding out instant subscription notifications (even 24 hour ones) aren't working anymore. Checked spam boxes and what have you they just aint sendin :frown:

Branflakes, can you please add this issue to the list. I didn't see it listed and its a big pain keeping track of thread updates, limiting discussion.

Not working ....

Thread Subscription (Notification Type)
    • Instant email notification
    • Daily email notification
    • Weekly email notification
  • woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have an idea, make it so that we can pay PWE for these "features" and it will get done, lol.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Remember when a dev used to post in a thread and while looking at a specific forum section you would see a symbol showing a "dev post" or you could see a symbol if a thread had been closed, or if it was a hot topic, etc...

I want those symbols back please.
  • lokikinlokikin Member Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I spend a lot of time on the forums using my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S II). The new website is not Android friendly at all...

Logging in is a horror, as the log in window insists on placing itself halfway below my screen. I try to scroll down and it jumps down too. The fields I need to complete to log on are always off screen. The only way I can log in is to zoom out so the window is super tiny, then hope I can click in the correct field. It's a serious pain...

Additionally, none of the top bar menu buttons work for me, so I can't navigate anywhere. The only reason I can access the forums at all is because I have a preexisting bookmark for them...

Please make the website more Android friendly...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time on the forums using my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S II). The new website is not Android friendly at all...

Logging in is a horror, as the log in window insists on placing itself halfway below my screen. I try to scroll down and it jumps down too. The fields I need to complete to log on are always off screen. The only way I can log in is to zoom out so the window is super tiny, then hope I can click in the correct field. It's a serious pain...

Additionally, none of the top bar menu buttons work for me, so I can't navigate anywhere. The only reason I can access the forums at all is because I have a preexisting bookmark for them...

Please make the website more Android friendly...

Yeah, the moving login is a pain in the exhaust vent. It needs killing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • zackarysszackaryss Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for taking time and posting this... it is a nice list you have on this forum issue
    @ZackerySS - Joined on Aug 2008: year of the greenpig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lokikinlokikin Member Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    capnbludd wrote: »
    Yeah, the moving login is a pain in the exhaust vent. It needs killing.

Wow...

Just tried it on my iPhone, same thing. No menues working, crappy jumping login window...

In short, the new website is not mobile friendly, period...

Genius...

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not all of the yellow "Fixes" appear to have been fixed. I do not wish to undermine Brandon's authority, but the following that have been labeled as "fixed" have indeed not, or only have situational functionality.
    5. Signatures seem to be broken and more constricting. - FIXED

No they were not. The rules were edited to allow the constrictions.
    7. Quick Reply doesn't work, giving poster "No thread specified" error message. - this seems to be working now
    29. The bullet list feature does not work (or is unstyled) - FIXED
    30. (Neither does the Paragraph feature) - FIXED

These only seem work under certain circumstances.
    23. Stock avatars are not diverse enough to really identify with - duplicate of last bullet point

Not in the slightest. This is merely the other side of the same coin. If we truly are going to be stuck with stocks, (as previous PWE managed forums suggest) we are going to need more of them.

You cannot express a 40+ year old IP with millions of fans all over the world, 7 tv shows, almost a dozen movies, tens of video games, hundreds of comics, and THOUSANDS of novels in 13 pictures!

Course... you could spend 6 hours and give us custom avatars. I wouldn't care if the forums were down for a week. I wouldn't even complain one itty-bitty bit. I would however, if we got custom avatars back, dance a jig, hug the first person I see, do cartwheels, send a letter to the president requesting a national holiday, and compose a song in your honor.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I hope these are still being worked on, haven't noticed any progress for the last couple days.

And btw, the bullet list seems to work fine for me (note however that it doesn't show in previews of posts, along with indents).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Don't know if anyone else is having this problem or not:

Bad tracking of "read" posts in New Posts and Today's Posts -- a number of threads show as unread even though there have been no new posts in them.

---

Minor annoyance:

Strikethrough doesn't work.

---

I didn't see "ignore function" on the list. :P
    I would however, if we got custom avatars back, dance a jig, hug the first person I see, do cartwheels, send a letter to the president requesting a national holiday, and compose a song in your honor.

You better get ready to do all that because they are coming :D May even been sooner than soon(tm).

As for your other points, we're not making any more pre-set avatars since we're working on bringing back customs. For the signature, the "constrictions" have been fixed (linking, styling etc) but the new image size is what we want it to be. It limits players from the past 1280x720 sigs we used to see lol And the other points are working (just not in preview mode - that's being worked on, so maybe add that as a sub bullet point (e.g. 7a)?)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just hope signatures are limited to 1 at a max size of 400x150 or so or 5 lines of text like nice clean forums i usually visit. As before with the old forums we had here they were an absolute mess with sigs being far too large and more than 1 or loads of text or both. Which made the forum extremely messy.

Also it is a good idea for standardized avatar dimensions also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ...the new image size is what we want it to be. It limits players from the past 1280x720 sigs we used to see

So why not modify the size so it allows the former allowed size of 150 x 500? I mean, 1280 x 720 sigs were never allowed anyways. Why make the allowed sig size smaller just because some people broke the rules on the old forums?
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, I don't care what size our signatures are, as log as there is a divider between the "forum post" and the "signature" (most commonly denoted with an [ HR ], i.e Horizontal Rule / Horizontal Line).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • cassielynacassielyna Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    kalecto wrote: »
    Remember when a dev used to post in a thread and while looking at a specific forum section you would see a symbol showing a "dev post" or you could see a symbol if a thread had been closed, or if it was a hot topic, etc...

I want those symbols back please.

+1000

Also the "you have posted in this thread" symbol.
    Cassie Lynn@Achlyssa
    Directive 010
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just hope signatures are limited to 1 at a max size of 400x150 or so or 5 lines of text like nice clean forums i usually visit. As before with the old forums we had here they were an absolute mess with sigs being far too large and more than 1 or loads of text or both. Which made the forum extremely messy.

Also it is a good idea for standardized avatar dimensions also.

So YOU'RE the guy who gave the author of the new forums the idea of deleting my signature! :rolleyes:

Edit: And you're about to blow my avatar (see below) up, too!

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You better get ready to do all that because they are coming :D May even been sooner than soon(tm).

As for your other points, we're not making any more pre-set avatars since we're working on bringing back customs. For the signature, the "constrictions" have been fixed (linking, styling etc) but the new image size is what we want it to be. It limits players from the past 1280x720 sigs we used to see lol And the other points are working (just not in preview mode - that's being worked on, so maybe add that as a sub bullet point (e.g. 7a)?)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Great we'll be seeing our custom avatars sooner than soon possibly. What about the info that used to be below our custom avatars, forum join date and such. Will that be going back to our original dates or is that gone for good? Some folks around here have a long history with the forums.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited June 2012
    Great we'll be seeing our custom avatars sooner than soon possibly. What about the info that used to be below our custom avatars, forum join date and such. Will that be going back to our original dates or is that gone for good? Some folks around here have a long history with the forums.

If/ when we can get in the tech for displaying your forum name as "character@handle", that may be a possibility -- I will make sure to bring that up :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If/ when we can get in the tech for displaying your forum name as "character@handle", that may be a possibility -- I will make sure to bring that up :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You're AWESOME Brandon, about a week ago the forums went BOOM! Everyone was angry and spitting venom... You've worked tirelessly to fix things and get back the features we most wanted. Thank you so much!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
This discussion has been closed.