What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So...how do you like the new forums?

Comments

• Options
    josephkerrjosephkerr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm not understanding the over reaction here. I understand you all want your original names, but we all knew that cryptic was merging sites. The fact that you don't have an avatar (something I like because of all the immature photos) doesn't detract from your ability to talk about the game. We all learned each other's names once and we can do it again.

I'm sure customization makes it a little more fun, but for the short term, it doesn't detract from the use of a forum.

It's also the "cheap and lazy" approach. Adding customisable avatars is as simple as an admin ticking a box in the settings and the forums have taken a step (or several) backwards in terms of design, aesthetics and functionality (can't even be bothered to use a more current, accurate pic of their Galaxy class model on their background).

It wasn't needed, wanted or mentioned to us beforehand, whats to like?

Is it that big a deal? Mybe, maybe not but unpopular changes are becoming worringly regular and they still insist on trying to put out the fire with petrol.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Its not funny, its appalling.
    I think more fundamentally it demonstrates a clear lack of understanding or appreciation for their audience, therefore showing they were never ready to expand to western markets or to take on an ip such as this.
  • Options
    arveduyarveduy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If this is a joke... well its one of the worst I have seen or heard for a long time.
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm not understanding the over reaction here. I understand you all want your original names, but we all knew that cryptic was merging sites. The fact that you don't have an avatar (something I like because of all the immature photos) doesn't detract from your ability to talk about the game. We all learned each other's names once and we can do it again.

I'm sure customization makes it a little more fun, but for the short term, it doesn't detract from the use of a forum.

Depends on how you use the forum. Personally, I tend to associate people with their avatars, so nothing but presets doesn't help. It's also a totally unnecessary change to make and I can't fathom how they can really justify it.

Mostly though, the new layout just isn't as intuitive as the old one, and again, there's no reason for it to be that way. phpBB is not rocket science, y'know? It's ostensibly the Wordpress of message board software.

It just looks and feels broken to me.
    Relax.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    +1

Agreed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Learn to browse. If you hate certain avatars then filter them out like any grownup would do.

Praising the absence of a feature because you're technically inept and a soft and delicate flower is ridiculous.

People WILL get used to it because they have no choice, but doesn't mean it's alright.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, just a little heads-up from PWE on the matter would've gone a long way towards tempering the community response...
    Relax.
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Huh, I just realized there is no way to report a post.

That's unfortunate.
  • Options
    cardassianpastacardassianpasta Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not having custom avatars makes it a safer place to browse. We are no longer subjected to Picard giving a middle finger and low-cut cleavage reserved for an adult site.

The main purpose for the forums is to talk about the game, which we can still do.

But I understand the want for customization. I just don't think it's absolutely 100% necessary as the site is less than a day old. Those things will work themselves out eventually.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not having custom avatars makes it a safer place to browse. We are no longer subjected to Picard giving a middle finger and low-cut cleavage reserved for an adult site.

Really?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    cardassianpastacardassianpasta Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    angelfire25angelfire25 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    aint right
  • Options
    josephkerrjosephkerr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Why do you feel the need to post a picture like that?

I think it was when you were waving that overly conservative, prudish stick about...
  • Options
    klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This new forum sucks donkey.

Okay, so were we even notified that there was going to be such a drastic change to these forums?

Are we going to be able to have our customer Avatars back??
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited June 2012

You stated that not having custom avatars protects us from unwanted cheesecake or inappropriate imagery.

I am pointing out that is absolutely not the case.

Also, frankly, I don't recall ever seeing an inappropriate custom avatar on the old forums. I'm sure they existed, and I'm sure you could report them.

So, in fact, not having custom avatars doesn't help anything.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't mind it so much if we could keep our old names and avatars. It's fun to customize yourself, and it helps you identify who's saying what.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Message boards have age limits and ToS forms for a reason. If we're all presumably old enough to be posting here, I'm sure we can all handle the occasional flipped-bird and plunging neckline.
    But I understand the want for customization. I just don't think it's absolutely 100% necessary as the site is less than a day old. Those things will work themselves out eventually.

Maybe; is this board software new to PWE's network in general, or just to the Cryptic end of things in particular? If it's the former, then sure, a little patience might pay off. If it's the latter, then I wouldn't be so optimistic about it because there's no way that us STO folks are the first users on this system to raise these issues.
    Relax.
  • Options
    pogmahone70pogmahone70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Im laughing on the outside and crying on the inside.
    Divine Protectorate Gaming
    STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
  • Options
    admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2012

That signature is out of line but I'm sure THIS was ok
  • Options
    igardigard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Pretty disappointed with the change. Especially that big Zen poster.

** hits the add block**

That's a bit better. Only a bit mind you.

It is good we approach the Neutral Zone. Not too soon for me to see the stars of home.

-- Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander
  • Options
    pogmahone70pogmahone70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012

The main purpose for the forums is to talk about the game, which we can still do.

Found it for you.
    Divine Protectorate Gaming
    STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
  • Options
    pope4pope4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wow such a downgrade from the Cryptic forum
  • Options
    torinthitorinthi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I must say i really didn't see any faults in the old forums that were much more easy to navigate than this one. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click the signature to enter a world of wonder!
  • Options
    ilovestrategyilovestrategy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Dang, I'm not happy.
  • Options
    rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I really don't like the new forum layout either. The header is ridiculously huge (although it does look pretty cool), the color layout is a bit harsh on the eyes and the buttons/emoticons look really pixelated and out of place. Most of my distaste for all this is having to come up with a new name and losing my customization options from before. Lame...

Oh well, I doubt it will be changing in any significant way, so I might as well get used to it. :frown:
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Message boards have age limits and ToS forms for a reason. If we're all presumably old enough to be posting here, I'm sure we can all handle the occasional flipped-bird and plunging neckline.

Indeed, we are neither 12 years of age nor peasants. We can handle a bit of boob. Unless you are 12, or a peasant, (In which case, GET THEE HENCE THADRICK THE MILLSTONE SHALL NOT TURN ITSELF!) :tongue:
    Maybe; is this board software new to PWE's network in general, or just to the Cryptic end of things in particular? If it's the former, then sure, a little patience might pay off. If it's the latter, then I wouldn't be so optimistic about it because there's no way that us STO folks are the first users on this system to raise these issues.

Nope just to Cryptic. As you can see in my thread here. This new forum is Bullpucky. We shouldn't have to deal with this TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    wow. 5% have a positive opinion of these changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    http://i.imgur.com/ZA6ve.jpg

Picard sums it up.
  • Options
    krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    they look cheap and slapped together, like most of PWE's products
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • Options