test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Having Trouble Logging In?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I'm assuming that basically:

If you had an account in December of 2010, it was potentially compromised. If your account was potentially compromised, you need to change your password.

If you did not have an account in December of 2010, it obviously was not compromised.

Necessarily true. It took 1.5 years to find the hack in 2010. Who to say it will not take that long to find any additional breaches.

It those not brother me so much that they got hack. What brothers me is that no one was paying any attention and it went unnoticed and unacted on for 1.5 months.
    edited April 2012
    Quite frankly guys if i may be so bold. as Spock would say, they are giving us the end runaround since they ultimately screwed up and they are in virtual damage control. Basically they really screwed up in saving a planet and now they have to answer to the Admiralty or in this case us all the while they have a warp core breach and their Geordi is shouting while everything has gone to hell. THINK people everyone in this thread has said that Cryptic is stifling open community posts about the hacking scandal because it is not THIS thread.

So they send poor Brandon to the Drumhead interrogated by that old Admiral and Worf for sabotaging the Enterprise D. I really want to hear someone other than him and his somewhat robo posts and send someone like Gozer or someone dare i even ask that's in there IT department if they have one in that hut they make the game out of LOL.

Give Brandon a break and send someone else of us to talk to.......
    edited April 2012
    I'm starting to get the impression they frankly don't care about the matter, given how they haven't bothered to even begin compensating people who've lost their accounts

It's the same with the lockboxes, if they're making a profit from them, who cares if people are ****ed?

Bloody awful way to run a business.
    edited April 2012
    I received a little bit of news on this recently that several friends have stopped playing and also voted with the wallet (same as me). Now the trouble will be if the userbase after removing their CC information will be able to support the game as no one will "On Impulse" (pardon the pun) buy from the C Store. So there is some income gone down the pan. Subscribers will be curious as to why they were not giving all the information on the breach and why they should continue to pay in future since Cryptic has not really explained the breach at all. (Yes I have read the message on the Cryptic site - not very specific at all).

Now that Cryptic seems to be burying itself in the sand without really explaining it; it can only really erode the userbase. A friend of mine only signed up 8 months ago and he got an email and his password needed reset. As he is in IT security he wondered if a backdoor was planted and the attacker has been able to access the account server since the initial breach. This is something Cryptic have not clarified and I believe it is very important. How can anyone who subscribes trust Cryptic at this point? Why would they trust them with their financial information or personal information to play a game?

There is many unanswered questions, some were even raised on TechSnap recently - Which I agree with. I am aware some people will use pre-pay cards / debit cards with $100 on them but if the consumer is jumping through hoops then they are dedicated fans (which frankly they are not enough of). I though F2P was to expand the consumer base beyond subscribers which now Cryptic have frankly scared off.
    edited April 2012
    I STILL cant log in. I STILL cant reset my password. They're STILL taking my money....

am i missing something??

and before you ask, no, i didnt read all 52 pages of this thread.
    edited April 2012
    If you had an account in December of 2010, it was potentially compromised. If your account was potentially compromised, you need to change your password.

That would be logical, would be nice if they would just say that. Just like I tell my customers why I know their e-mail account was compromised because it logged into webmail a thousand times in one day, or because it authenticated and started sending out spam, etc.

Though, since this was prior to PWE, I'm not sure why PWE "customer support" is being farmed the responsibility of telling us.
    edited April 2012
    FYI - I was one of the people who couldn't seem to get a password reset email...

I tried Firefox, IE, Safari... nothing! - I just tried on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and it worked! first time!

I know it sounds really odd but if the website isn't sending out an email, try it on ur cell phone :rolleyes:
    edited May 2012
    Epic. 1.5 years to find a breach in security.
    edited May 2012
    Quite frankly im disgusted the DStahl (unless ive missed it) hasnt come out and apologised to the playerbase. Id suggest in the ask cryptic that you ask whats being done in regards to our security, not that he will answer it im sure :rolleyes:
    edited May 2012
    I do have a question (if this thread is even being checked anymore.)

What steps is Cryptic taking to ensure this doesn't happen again? What assurances do we have that Cryptic has beefed up their security?
    edited May 2012
    Quite frankly im disgusted the DStahl (unless ive missed it) hasnt come out and apologised to the playerbase. Id suggest in the ask cryptic that you ask whats being done in regards to our security, not that he will answer it im sure :rolleyes:

I'm sure any such question, including anything negative about Lock boxes, will be subtly ignored, just like the threads here.
    edited May 2012
    Please, allow us to take our own action. The knee jerk password reset has caused way too many problems. Two years is a VERY long time to instantly do this sort of thing. I'm sure people have changed their passwords many times in those two years. My password was only 3 weeks old!

This action was very very over done for the time passed, and most credit cards (mine included) have expired since.
    edited May 2012
    Issueman wrote:
    I'm sure people have changed their passwords many times in those two years. My password was only 3 weeks old!

This action was very very over done for the time passed, and most credit cards (mine included) have expired since.

True, some people have changed their passwords, but since a password change policy is not mandatory I'm sure a lot of people have not. I don't know whether Cryptic is even tracking the "last changed password date" on accounts.

A password change policy is an account security mechanism. It isn't to protect your credit card information.

I have to agree though, at this point, a more measured approach may have been in order...
    edited May 2012
    So here is my personal "me too" story:

My password got reset and when returning from a vacation on friday evening I cound't play. First I thought my account got TRIBBLE but then an internet search told me the truth.

I tried password reset, the webpage told be it sent an email - I got none. I filed a ticket and got word monday morning to check my spam folders. I though "wtf, do you think I am stupid?" but then I contacted my ISP and asked them about the problem and the guy investigated and told me:

a mail from a donotreply... sender with that many links was considered spam at server side and never even reached my inbox (hint, cryptic, hint, hint!) He kindly adjusted my mail settings an behold: a password reset email was there! That also explained why I didn't get any lockbox mails or a mail about the password reset itself...

So I entered the game after work and made it in 5 minutes before the special DOFF offer expired. I got it on 2 toons, when logging on the third the offer was gone. But thats ok, I DOFF mostly with those 2.

dl;dr version: have the spam settings on the server side of your ISP checked if you do not get emails from cryptic.
    edited May 2012
    My story:

Someone called me today from PWE support and asked me a few questions about my account, then changed my e-mail address so that I could receive a password reset (my old e-mail was defunct). It worked perfectly.

What did not work perfectly was the ticket system. Somehow, my tickets were marked as "Solved" on the weekend, and I did not notice this until yesterday. After another message to Support telling them they had locked out my PAID account, and that my only recourse was to stop payment on my credit card (since I could not log-in to cancel my account), I finally had someone call me to straighten out the matter.

It was so simple to fix. What really bugs me is that I have been out of the game for 6 days, unable to post and unable to play. I am extremely disappointed.

As there is no recompense coming from CE for my time or trouble, remind me again why I should remain a paying customer?
    edited May 2012
    Onishin wrote: »
    My story:

Someone called me today from PWE support and asked me a few questions about my account, then changed my e-mail address so that I could receive a password reset (my old e-mail was defunct). It worked perfectly.

What did not work perfectly was the ticket system. Somehow, my tickets were marked as "Solved" on the weekend, and I did not notice this until yesterday. After another message to Support telling them they had locked out my PAID account, and that my only recourse was to stop payment on my credit card (since I could not log-in to cancel my account), I finally had someone call me to straighten out the matter.

It was so simple to fix. What really bugs me is that I have been out of the game for 6 days, unable to post and unable to play. I am extremely disappointed.

As there is no recompense coming from CE for my time or trouble, remind me again why I should remain a paying customer?

Honestly, you shouldn't. TO be blunt, if you have all the things you want need, have been gold since before the conversion or have subbed at least one month, you will get to keep everything you've earned.

Don't put good money after bad. Cryptic has a lot to answer for with this, and they've yet to even start. Its been blown over and is old news for them.
    edited May 2012
    Well after all this time i still have a friend who is unable to get into game. I have tried to submit a ticket on hjis behalf but I would prefer if there was a direct contact method so I could get this resolved ASAP please ?

My friend is unable to reset his password as his email address is not recognized and it would appear that all characters from his account are gone which isnt looking good :/

Is there a direct customer support contact number ? or do I have to submit yet another ticket ?
    edited May 2012
    Well after all this time i still have a friend who is unable to get into game. I have tried to submit a ticket on hjis behalf but I would prefer if there was a direct contact method so I could get this resolved ASAP please ?

My friend is unable to reset his password as his email address is not recognized and it would appear that all characters from his account are gone which isnt looking good :/

Is there a direct customer support contact number ? or do I have to submit yet another ticket ?

i think if he emails them he can get it back, they'll want some basic information from him about the account of course.
    the email is somewhere in the thread, sorry.

and on a unrelated note, I got a nice little letter from the CA AG today. At least They, will listen.
    edited May 2012
    Ok, so after waiting more than a week to get my password reset email I have now gotten my psasword set. Apparently because now I can post to this forum, more on that horrible CSR issue in a moment.

However, is the game log in server still down? I have tried several times now and I keep getting "Account server timed out" error. So I can't get back into the game yet.

Come on guys, as a Life Time subscriber I find this reprehensible.

Ok, now I'll go into the rant on the fact that not being able to reset my password also meant I couldn't post here and I COULD NOT EVEN OPEN A TICKET to report the problem.

TOTAL FAILURE.

Count yourselves as having totally failed in Customer Support on this horrendous issue. And to top it off, that is after you discovered a problem that apparently occurred over TWO YEARS AGO.

If this happened at my company the folks responsible would be too embarrassed to come in and get fired.
    edited May 2012
    Kineel wrote:
    Ok, so after waiting more than a week to get my password reset email I have now gotten my psasword set. Apparently because now I can post to this forum, more on that horrible CSR issue in a moment.

However, is the game log in server still down? I have tried several times now and I keep getting "Account server timed out" error. So I can't get back into the game yet.

Come on guys, as a Life Time subscriber I find this reprehensible.

Ok, now I'll go into the rant on the fact that not being able to reset my password also meant I couldn't post here and I COULD NOT EVEN OPEN A TICKET to report the problem.

TOTAL FAILURE.

Count yourselves as having totally failed in Customer Support on this horrendous issue. And to top it off, that is after you discovered a problem that apparently occurred over TWO YEARS AGO.

If this happened at my company the folks responsible would be too embarrassed to come in and get fired.

I quite agree........Cryptic seem to be on the path of self destuction when it comes to their customers......there continued silence on this matter alone is simply very unproffesional in every way....if you want to **** your customers off then treat them like non entities as Cryptic seem to be doing here.

Its a terrible way for them to treat the very people who stuck with them when the game was pay to play through everything from the game being unplayable to the lack of content.....these people stuck with them.........But now it seems they dont give a rats *** about those people or their concens for this game......but it seems Cryptic are quite happy to burn their bridges with the very vocal people who supported them from the beginning.........i just hope they dont need to cross those bridges again when the FTP mob get board grinding and head for the next FTP game.
    edited May 2012
    Everything you always wanted to know about Cryptic is contained in this thread. This company fails its customers on a daily basis :o I wish I could get away with their level of incompetence and still have a job :rolleyes:
    edited May 2012
    I'm just going to encourage those of you who feel the need/desire to register a complaint with someone, to do so. Cryptic needs a wake up call, and this may be the way to deliver it. This is just my opinion, and my thoughts, you do not have to do it, but if you feel compelled to complain about anything, this would be the matter to do so.
    edited May 2012
    edited May 2012
    removed the message
    edited May 2012
    I logged out last night and cannot log back in. When trying to log back in I receive an error message (Opps Your Cryptic Application has crashed) that a crash has occurred, and I am asked to verify all files. I accept, the program verifies but I still cannot log in. I've re-downloaded the client and submitted a crash report a few times but still cannot log in.

I'm hesitant to reset my password since the problem is an application crash. Can anyone help? What is going on? Thanks.
    edited May 2012
    Kineel wrote:
    TOTAL FAILURE.

Indeed and given the complete lack of response in this thread, despite it's seriousness, is..well, flabbergasting.

Epic incompetence, PW staff should all be ashamed, not just of yourselves, but for the company you work for, to.
    edited May 2012
    As the Klingons would say "You have brought shame upon your house and your decendants house"

Why did this happen?

You can't tell us you had no idea this hacking thing happened. Something must have tipped you off?

I may be a 2011 signup guy but still i think that most folks had there stuff exposed since the door was opened from the hack
    edited May 2012
    ok please help anyone, i linked my cryptic account and my pwe account and now i cant log into the game, i load the launcher, put in my old details and it says to use my pwe details so i do and then it goes right to the sto home page in the launcher window, now if some one tell me that due to linking accounts i am no longer able to access my old toons i am going to be serverly annoyed as its taken me since beta to get to where i am now
    edited May 2012
    Lags, Disconnects and Rubberbandin, Oh My!

having been up all night on STO, you'ld think i'd get more done than just a single run thru the Vault (FE, Not Event)...

How the heck can i hope to get the FEs done by my 2 chars before time runs out? Especially since my KDF needs to grind a few levels before he can even start Cloaked Intentions!
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I can't log in at the moment. Nothing to do with passwords or anything though, account server keeps timing out. So bloody frustrating. Wanted to get the reman bridge officer for both my characters, but at this rate I won't get it on either of them...
This discussion has been closed.