test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

700 Day Android

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Production has to find room in the schedule for the costume team to make them. The android costume hook-ups are a bit tricky because of the aliengen parts. Beyond that, outside my area of expertise.
    edited March 2012
    jheinig wrote: »
    I have the necessary tech, and I'll hook it up as soon as the costumes are ready.
    Ah! Thanks Jesse.
    I am VERY glad to know the tech is done, but may I ask about how long it might take to make those new costumes? I thought it would take < day since the uniforms shouldn't be using any new pieces, right? ...Unless they are all using new pieces for the uniforms and not just the androids themselves.
    Production has to find room in the schedule for the costume team to make them. The android costume hook-ups are a bit tricky because of the aliengen parts. Beyond that, outside my area of expertise.
    This surprises me (as it does Kitsune, I guess). I'd've thought this would have been pretty straight forward, I mean they've already got the gold engineer uni done, it seems all they'd have to do is duplicate that twice, once each with red and blue. I know, not your side of the block. Just sort of thinking/talking out loud. Ok, well, yeah. Thanks. :)
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry I didn't read all the pages and updates regarding the Android Boff, are they working on making female and tac/sci versions?

I know they need time/money to do it.

My question is, are they actively pursuing it? Or is it just shelved for the time being?
    edited March 2012
    Can someone tell me if Female Android boff is available yet? (sorry can't get in-game for a while) been waiting since they were released.

thanks.
    edited March 2012
    Aeleys wrote:
    Can someone tell me if Female Android boff is available yet? (sorry can't get in-game for a while) been waiting since they were released.

thanks.

As should be inferred from jheinig's statements just a few posts up from yours, they're still waiting on costumes for the other variants, so no. Only the male engineering android is available. Still.
    edited March 2012

Are the changes going to be retrosepctive? I.e. those that have already claimed the Eng Android will be able to exchang it for a Sci or Tac Android?
    edited March 2012
    Strorus wrote:
    Are the changes going to be retrosepctive? I.e. those that have already claimed the Eng Android will be able to exchang it for a Sci or Tac Android?

The plan is that you will be able to dismiss your existing android and choose a different one, but you will only be able to have one android BOFF at a time.
    edited March 2012
    I'm patient, I can wait. But I'm glad it's currently under development.

My next thing is enemy faction boffs that can use Starfleet uniforms. While I like my Orion females in metal bikinis, I think I'd prefer them in normal uniforms. Gorn too for that matter.
    edited March 2012
    RockMax wrote: »

My next thing is enemy faction boffs that can use Starfleet uniforms. While I like my Orion females in metal bikinis, I think I'd prefer them in normal uniforms. Gorn too for that matter.

This times a thousand. Also, the special Boffs from FEs. I can understand the Breen needing his GE-manufactured refridgeration suit, but at least let me put a com badge on there. But there is also NO reason why I shouldn't be able to put a starfleet uniform on the Reman and Jem'Hadar
    edited March 2012
    and the photonic officer. the standard uniform (yes he gets to ware a kit which is neat) does not mesh well with my prefered tng/ds9 uniforms
    edited March 2012
    The plan is that you will be able to dismiss your existing android and choose a different one, but you will only be able to have one android BOFF at a time.

But what is the release date plan? Right before Christmas we're told everything is ready, all 12 variants made, just waiting for the code that limits players to 1 boff, then an update saying that tech was done, just waiting till after vacation to put it in. Now it's waiting for art dept to make the variants (which were done?).

Bottom line, will we see these before our 800 day vet rewards? Before 900? 1000? Why are we still waiting on something we were told was done?
    edited March 2012
    GenEricII wrote:

But what is the release date plan? Right before Christmas we're told everything is ready, all 12 variants made, just waiting for the code that limits players to 1 boff, then an update saying that tech was done, just waiting till after vacation to put it in. Now it's waiting for art dept to make the variants (which were done?).

Bottom line, will we see these before our 800 day vet rewards? Before 900? 1000? Why are we still waiting on something we were told was done?

This is becoming more of a case of Vapor ware if anything. we keep hearing of a circle of reasons they're not here but nothing seems to change. Lots of promises and little to show for it. After the litany of promises that have been broken about the KDF I don't and won't believe a word from cryptic, until its on the front page, and I can see it here. other wise.

Vapor ware.
    edited March 2012
    I'm beginning to think that the reason we've had to wait so long for these "costumes" to be applied is because the "costume people" required to do so were let go last year or maybe reassigned to Neverwinter and they haven't been hired back, replaced, or otherwise working on this. Remember all those faction pins that we were shown last May? Where are those? What happened to them?
    edited March 2012
    GenEricII wrote:

So I'm not the only one who remembered that the costumes were supposed to be done. Guess what? Veterans are the new Klingons.:D
    edited March 2012
    I'm beginning to think that the reason we've had to wait so long for these "costumes" to be applied is because the "costume people" required to do so were let go last year or maybe reassigned to Neverwinter and they haven't been hired back, replaced, or otherwise working on this. Remember all those faction pins that we were shown last May? Where are those? What happened to them?

like I said previously

Vapor ware.

nothing from them is believable until its in game or on the front page. Its a sad state of affairs but its factual.

we get told, shown, promised things but they don't show up.

Vapor ware.
    edited March 2012
    Having the data made (the bridge officer definitions) is not the same as having all of the costumes made. I can only speak to the data side.
    edited March 2012
    Having the data made.

I SO read that wrong. I thought CBS had given you permission to "make" Data. LOL

Matt
    edited March 2012
    mhighison wrote: »
    Visually, you will be able to chose gender, and you will get the full range of options that Aliens currently have, so you can have them look like whatever sort of Android you want. (Plus, we are working on a couple more bits to add on)

This gives me the impression the "art" is done, and this was a good bit ago. art to me, would include the costume. That however is just me, I may be alone in that definition.
    I'm working to get tech implemented that will let us put them all in a "unique group" that will allow you to have only one of them at a time, but put all twelve (male/female, eng/sci/tac, Fed/KE) into the game.

Incidentally, all the variants are made, we just need to work out the tech limitation.
    This is another post in which we are given the idea they are fully made but the tech issue is the problem. I can understand the difficulty with it given the excellent description of it you gave.

I have received the necessary tech update and I hope to deploy new versions of the androids after I return from the holidays!
    This post gives a clear indication, all systems are go, and we should have them.
    I need an update from the costume art team, but they will need some time scheduled for that. (Right now, all androids would wind up in engineering uniforms, which is not what we want, obviously.)
    I also found a tech issue that will need sorting. Hopefully I can get a programmer to take a look. Wouldn't want to push them out in a broken state, after all.
    (Yes, I'm at the office on a Sunday doing this for you guys.)

after being given the impression they were a go, we get the costume issue as well as the bug. The bug is definitely a good reason to hold them, I don't think any of us would want the bug as explained.
    I have the necessary tech, and I'll hook it up as soon as the costumes are ready.
    back to the costumes again.
    Having the data made (the bridge officer definitions) is not the same as having all of the costumes made. I can only speak to the data side.
    While you can only speak to the data side. we've been given the impression that everything was ready to go, in December. Yes the bug brought that to a halt, and that's completely and totally understandable. but after being told everything was a go, to find out it wasn't.

My only question is this.

Why tell us they were ready when they really weren't?
    edited March 2012
    GenEricII wrote:

This reminds me of when Dan Stahl claimed to have played a build of the 2800 back in 2011, when it didn't exist until 2012.
    edited March 2012
    silo935 wrote:
    This reminds me of when Dan Stahl claimed to have played a build of the 2800 back in 2011, when it didn't exist until 2012.

We also saw the STOked guys getting a sneak peek at Bajor and the Defiant/Belfast interior when they went to visit Cryptic Studios in 2011 (before Borticus_Cryptic started working there). I'm pretty sure there were parts of "The 2800" that existed well before 2012.
    edited March 2012
    We also saw the STOked guys getting a sneak peek at Bajor and the Defiant/Belfast interior when they went to visit Cryptic Studios in 2011 (before Borticus_Cryptic started working there). I'm pretty sure there were parts of "The 2800" that existed well before 2012.

See that's what I thought too, except in about January of this year one of the shows asked sdeangelo about it and IIRC he said he had no idea what Stahl was referring to and that there was no build.
    edited March 2012
    First it was the tech, then the costumes still needed doing, and now the costumes aren't the issue? I'm starting to think that they just plain don't want to implement the new android options at all. And I'm normally much more optimistic than that.
    edited March 2012

There really needs to be some concrete timeline set down for this, three months past due is enough! Hey, will it be ready by season 7?
    edited March 2012

I'm glad all the data is there, but that doesn't help us who've been waiting for these for almost 100 days now, really, if we have no idea when they're actually going to show up in the game.
    edited March 2012
    Destinii wrote:
    I'm glad all the data is there, but that doesn't help us who've been waiting for these for almost 100 days now, really, if we have no idea when they're actually going to show up in the game.

You mean that they actually are going to show up in game?
    edited March 2012
    You mean that they actually are going to show up in game?

at this point, I'm calling them Vapor ware. see my above post about the whole circle of reasons they're not here, we've now gone full circle.

I'm about 60 days form my 800 and figure I will hit that before we see them, IF we see them You'd think rewarding your paying customers would be worth expediting. Oh wait what am I thinking.
    edited March 2012
    Kyuui wrote: »
    at this point, I'm calling them Vapor ware. see my above post about the whole circle of reasons they're not here, we've now gone full circle.

I'm about 60 days form my 800 and figure I will hit that before we see them, IF we see them You'd think rewarding your paying customers would be worth expediting. Oh wait what am I thinking.

I agree that they've gone full circle on what reason there is for it not being implemented yet. First it was the tech, then the costumes, and then the tech? Wat

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the devs have been ignoring this thread since we caught on to the run around.
    edited March 2012
    While you can only speak to the data side. we've been given the impression that everything was ready to go, in December. Yes the bug brought that to a halt, and that's completely and totally understandable. but after being told everything was a go, to find out it wasn't.

My only question is this.

Why tell us they were ready when they really weren't?

It looks like a developer said it was ready before QA tested it (tends to happen when you let developers talk to the public.)

When they found the bug they had to change things. They may have had to redesign the costumes as part of that initial fix. in which case it's not really:
    costumes ready tech not -> tech ready costumes not ->costumes ready tech not

but rather:
    everything ready-> wait everything's bugged -> tech ready costumes aren't.
    edited March 2012

I am two days away from 800. If you look at it factually, since a 700-day android is currently available, then the 700-day veteran reward is complete. What Dan promised and had been working toward should be considered an update to the reward, not the reward itself. Considering Jesse's comment about having to fit the work involved into the schedule, we can assume that those setting the priorities consider an update to a veteran reward as being low priority. The reward is fulfilled.

I'm not really expecting it at all. I'm disappointed that they didn't make it a Tac from the start (as I have said before, we already have an engineer and a scientist rewards-based BO already, so Tac should have been the next logical choice for a rewards-based BO), but that doesn't mean I am going to rant about free stuff (beating dead horses is where I draw the line). That said, making the veteran rewards desirable would go a long way towards encouraging people to subscribe. Making your veterans' concerns a priority is a better way to encourage subscription. What's the point in maintaining a subscription if there's nothing about the vet rewards you like, or if vets aren't a priority?

Yeah, I know the objections coming. The C-Store has become the priority, not subscriptions. Not an argument I really want to have. There's truth in that statement, I'll agree. And that fact makes me sad, really.

But yeah, back on topic. We have an android, and we have been told an updated version is low-priority. It's time we stop expecting it and just focus on the next rewards.
    edited March 2012
    Turtlewing wrote: »
    It looks like a developer said it was ready before QA tested it (tends to happen when you let developers talk to the public.)

When they found the bug they had to change things. They may have had to redesign the costumes as part of that initial fix. in which case it's not really:
    costumes ready tech not -> tech ready costumes not ->costumes ready tech not

but rather:
    everything ready-> wait everything's bugged -> tech ready costumes aren't.

Well that's an explanation that makes a whole lot of sense and I can stand a lot more. Thank you for providing it. Hopefully they *will* get everything sorted out and working so they can release it not too far into the future.