What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

700 Day Android

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You know how it works: Ignore it for long enough...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well apparently the system that was being worked on to improve the androids was being done by a person that has sense left the dev team. Apparently, when someone leaves the team they take EVERYTHING they were working on.

The androids, the first officer and department heads system, the removing of off-duty clothing and merging it all into one uniform slot, the converting of some of the fed off-duty clothing over to the Klingon side, the ability to use different ranks with various uniforms (like what they did with the com badges), the improvements to the Wrath of Khan uniform. THose are all things that were almost 100% done but were lost because the person working on them left. It is so damned annoying to lose awesome stuff because someone leaves before they can finish it and for some unknown reason nobody is allowed to pick up where they left off!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well apparently the system that was being worked on to improve the androids was being done by a person that has sense left the dev team. Apparently, when someone leaves the team they take EVERYTHING they were working on.
    JH hasn't left the Dev Team. He's in the hospital dealing with a life-threatening condition. The Andriod changes are his baby - as he's the one who promised them to us. It's something he's doing in his spare time.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    JH hasn't left the Dev Team. He's in the hospital dealing with a life-threatening condition. The Andriod changes are his baby - as he's the one who promised them to us. It's something he's doing in his spare time.

Ok, so I am approaching 700 days.

And instead of the Androids being any profession, customizable, male or female, they are Male Engineer only?

Are these the Droids I am looking for?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok, so I am approaching 700 days.

And instead of the Androids being any profession, customizable, male or female, they are Male Engineer only?

Are these the Droids I am looking for?

Find out here:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqrjoba0D31qjidm8o1_500.jpg
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes. They were originally designed to emulate Data in much the same way the original Photonic BOFFs were designed to emulate the Doctor.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No updates on the android variant front, I'm guessing?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Still waiting, unfortunately.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Do we have a pool for the Android fixes going in before or after the 1000-day ships come in?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yes. They were originally designed to emulate Data in much the same way the original Photonic BOFFs were designed to emulate the Doctor.

The funny thing on TNG was that Data was Chief Science Officer despite reporting to Geordi.

Data more than anyone was multiclass although I think allowing people a second profession that they could swap between when out of combat would allow people to use more ships, pushing up sales.

In general, I'd say most captains especially seemed adept in two professions and weaker in one, in STO terms.

It would also enable quite a bit of replay/grinding if people had to earn all the expertise needed for the skillpoints in their off profession.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The funny thing on TNG was that Data was Chief Science Officer despite reporting to Geordi.

Data more than anyone was multiclass although I think allowing people a second profession that they could swap between when out of combat would allow people to use more ships, pushing up sales.

In general, I'd say most captains especially seemed adept in two professions and weaker in one, in STO terms.

It would also enable quite a bit of replay/grinding if people had to earn all the expertise needed for the skillpoints in their off profession.

Lot's of MMO's allow (Nay, Some require) crossclassing, so it's not impossible, but with only three classes and one skill tree I kind of fail to see how that would improve anything. :confused:
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Do we have a pool for the Android fixes going in before or after the 1000-day ships come in?

I'd like to sell a bridge to whomever puts down on us getting the androids before 1000 days. I'm at 993 days now.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Lot's of MMO's allow (Nay, Some require) crossclassing, so it's not impossible, but with only three classes and one skill tree I kind of fail to see how that would improve anything. :confused:

It would sell more ships if everyone could use every ship on every character. It would increase play without increasing character data storage and costume slots dramatically, making it better for Cryptic than people having alts. It would provide more to do at endgame and encourage replay if each additional class taken required earning more expertise.

Rather than "multiclass" (skills from different classes), I'm thinking more like "dual spec" in games like WoW.

As in, I have a Science, Tactical, and Engineering spec. And I select which one I am (only available outside mission maps and out of combat) at any point, maybe by checking in with an NPC or console to flip, much like ship selection NPCs.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2012

No, he was the Operations officer, and he reported directly to Riker, since he was next in command after Riker. If TNG had a Chief Science Officer, he/she was well hidden.

I do see the 700-day android as an homage to Data, so it's understandable that the prototype is a male engineer, but I would like that variety that was promised way back when.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »
    No, he was the Operations officer, and he reported directly to Riker, since he was next in command after Riker. If TNG had a Chief Science Officer, he/she was well hidden.

I do see the 700-day android as an homage to Data, so it's understandable that the prototype is a male engineer, but I would like that variety that was promised way back when.

He was identified by producers as holding both roles if not in an episode.
  • Options
    dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    From the latest ask cryptic..
    Q: (tilarium1979) Why do projects die as staff rotates out or take leaves of absence? 700-day veteran android, First Officer, Department Heads, Off-Duty clothing revamp, etc ? all were close to being done, but then the person(s) working on it left the dev team (or on a leave of absence) and the project was scrapped.

Dstahl: There are a couple reasons why you might think that some projects were close to being done and why they appear to be going nowhere. First of all, as a small team, every individual has a large amount of ownership over a specific area of the game. If any one person leaves, then there is a void that has to be filled by someone else. In the case of many of the items you mention, these were individual side projects that each individual owner had decided to add to their own schedule and had in some cases even communicated on the forums that they would like to ?get that done sometime?. Many times, these are after work projects, or items never scheduled to be in the game, that the individual owners wanted to get done out of their own desires to answer player feedback. So when that person leaves, it is not always the case that the feature was anywhere near done, nor is it the case that they had communicated what their intentions where to begin with. We allow this level of entrepreneurial spirit on the team, but as I?m well aware, when you communicate what you would ?like? to do, it can haunt you when it doesn?t get done. For the most part, the individuals who mentioned these features should not have done so until they were certain they could be implemented.

That?s not to say that features like First Officer, Department Heads, and Off-Duty revamps will not happen. In an MMO, anything can eventually happen and I wouldn?t be surprised if these features are in the game in the future. But for now, they are on hold until someone else on the team picks up where the owner?s idea left off.

Should I take this as a sign that it isn't happening?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really like to know when the 700 Day Vet Reward became a "Side Project" ???

(even though He side-stepped the question by leaving it out of his final paragraph)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It would sell more ships if everyone could use every ship on every character. It would increase play without increasing character data storage and costume slots dramatically, making it better for Cryptic than people having alts. It would provide more to do at endgame and encourage replay if each additional class taken required earning more expertise.

Rather than "multiclass" (skills from different classes), I'm thinking more like "dual spec" in games like WoW.

As in, I have a Science, Tactical, and Engineering spec. And I select which one I am (only available outside mission maps and out of combat) at any point, maybe by checking in with an NPC or console to flip, much like ship selection NPCs.

Ah.. I see where you're going. I've thought of this before too. I thought it would be cool to have different captain skill "Sets" where you can switch between entirely different skill trees that you have saved depending on what ship you feel like flying that day.
    daveyny wrote: »

(even though He side-stepped the question by leaving it out of his final paragraph)

It always was. It was under the charge of Jesse, who only just got out of the hospital. :(
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 786 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ah.. I see where you're going. I've thought of this before too. I thought it would be cool to have different captain skill "Sets" where you can switch between entirely different skill trees that you have saved depending on what ship you feel like flying that day.

I wouldn't mind (much) having to grind up again if it meant being able to do that kind of multiclassing.
    It always was. It was under the charge of Jesse, who only just got out of the hospital. :(

How is he doing? I hope he's okay now!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    theoryfive wrote: »
    How is he doing? I hope he's okay now!

He's back in the office now, but who knows what progress has been made on this side project, which apparently means he has higher priorities than working on the Androids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    daveyny wrote: »

Another thing to note with the Android gender and department options is that while it is a side project under JHeinig's charge, he's not the only one involved with it. Meaning it's several people's "side project".

JHeinig is a systems designer, and while he may have some ability to program, last I checked he was not a software engineer. The tech required to make these BOffs able to be swapped out (which is reportedly completed) was more than likely a software engineer's "side project" (and one that could benefit the way future special BOffs are handled).

Likewise, JHeinig is not a costume artist. So the art assets required for these other Android BOffs would also be an artist's "side project" to do when they don't have something else on their plate that they have to do first.

What we have here is an assembly of side projects being brought together by JHeinig. Think about what that means. JHeinig has to coordinate, on his own time, the work of other people, on their own time, in order to get this thing done. Any work we see on this beyond the basic original male engineering Android BOff is from a team of volunteers
    making it happen. Not because they were told to. Because they wanted to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2012
    Quick note: I'm on medical leave. The surgeon has not cleared me to return to work. I just happen to be able to browse the internet while recovering, which allows me to visit the forums from time to time because I love you all so much. :)
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jheinig wrote: »
    Quick note: I'm on medical leave. The surgeon has not cleared me to return to work. I just happen to be able to browse the internet while recovering, which allows me to visit the forums from time to time because I love you all so much. :)

Three cheers for your medical staff!

Glad you're recovering. :)
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Good to hear from you Jesse, hopefully the physical therapy is going well! Im sure you will do good by everyone once the CMO clears you for full active duty again. And if you ever get a itch to make another quickie mission or 2, when I wouldnt sneer at it in the least :)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Grab a cold beer (or whatever you are allowed to enjoy), sit back, and watch all 7 seasons of TNG... That will make you feel better I hope. :)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Get this man a cot in his office and a wireless keyboard! We need him stat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Do you have a cute red head doctor? Or a grumpy old southern old doc? God im a geek
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Very glad you are on the mend.

and visiting the forums while off sick? You truly are made of some stern stuff. :P
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Yeah. I heard someone say you're on the iPad.

Just think of all the DOffs you could be managing if the mobile app were ready and nag Thomas about that. :-)

Also, if you haven't, check out Telltale Games' iPad versions of their adventure games. Back to the Future rocks!

I would love a Trek game in that vein.