test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Path to F2P Dev Blog #14

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Again, my solution is...

Sell anomaly drops for dilithium as an alternate means of acquisition.

So that if I have none of the mats to craft an item, I pay a full dilithium price to craft it. The closer I am to having the full materials, the more that price goes down. If I have all of the materials, it costs no dilithium at all.
    edited October 2011
    Necrion wrote:
    Do you have any idea how rare it is to see a unanimous consensus on a forum, after that many posts ?
    Extremely.

I mean... yeah. I've been lurking on the forums for 10 months and I've never seen a Perfect ($#!t)Storm like this before.

I wouldn't expect a dev answer anytime soon. Sifting through all the threads in the forums should take the better part of a day, plus the rest of it while drafting a very PR answer.

EDIT: Also...
    Again, my solution is...

So that if I have none of the mats to craft an item, I pay a full dilithium price to craft it. The closer I am to having the full materials, the more that price goes down. If I have all of the materials, it costs no dilithium at all.

This. A 100 times this.
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if I can add anything that others have not already said. I too would like to see the dilithium cost removed from crafting completely. While I can understand why it was done, the cost involved on top of the time/process of gathering anoms and traces makes crafting a very difficult and tedious task. :mad:
    edited October 2011
    Again, my solution is...

Seems reasonable.

More reasonable suggestions please! :D

Less angry bashing! ;)

Civility for the win!
    Civilize all the things! :cool:
    edited October 2011
    Again, my solution is...

{font=ProfitDefender]Yeah, but this doesn't drive people to the C-$tore. If they don't have the mats they can just gather them themselves or buy them from the exchange. There's no reason for Cryptic to do this because it doesn't tax a players rD pool like the rest of the F2P economy changes. Refined Dilithium demand = C-$tore sales. If players can craft gear that is equivalent to rD vendor gear without needing rD then Cryptic loses money. [/font]

{font=CommonSense]That's a good idea. It would allow players to craft as they do now and also gives them the option to get deeply discounted gear by a couple different methods, one of which would result in more C-Point purchases by some players. That's a win-win. [/font]

I wonder which font Cryptic uses?

Z
    edited October 2011
    CivilPhil wrote:
    Seems reasonable.

More reasonable suggestions please! :D

Less angry bashing! ;)

Civility for the win!
    Civilize all the things! :cool:

To hell with that mess. It's reasonable to try to reach a civil resolution if someone insults you but after they keep doing it it's time to start defending yourself aggressively. Any other course of action is futile.
    edited October 2011
    As could be heard on one of the STOked interview with the QA team they mentioned that some players had reached the Energy Credits cap, which is 999'999'999'999 EC.

So they though this new economic system would prevent that.

But how many are these billionaires? 0.00001% of the sum of all players?

None I've talked to have that kind of cash on their toons. So why should all of us suffer because Cryptic want to get to those billionaires? If you don't want players to have that much money, lover the cap.

But don't punish the rest of us that aren't billionaires.
    edited October 2011
    Erixander wrote:
    To hell with that mess. It's reasonable to try to reach a civil resolution if someone punches you in the nose once but after the third time it's time to start stabbing. Any other course of action is futile.

I will continue my day presuming that you were being ironic and funny, not that you actually equate the video game you play online's lack of ability to please you with getting punched in the face three times.

Sheesh.
    edited October 2011
    Erixander wrote:
    To hell with that mess. It's reasonable to try to reach a civil resolution if someone punches you in the nose once but after the third time it's time to start stabbing. Any other course of action is futile.

Your hyperbole of "getting punched in the face" not withstanding, you are not being physically injured by the dev posts or the proposed changes. You may feel emotionally attacked, and that is reasonable, but none of us will cease to exist if the game changes in one way or the other. We may just stop playing.

Tone can have a significant impact on how thoughts and ideas are received.

Civility is NOT futile in a discussion. Often it is the only thing that can bring about a positive resolution.

If you want to descend to physical blows or the threat of such I suggest you reconsider your rhetoric.

If you really want Cryptic to change its mind, then threats, disparaging personal remarks, and the like are NOT the way to go. That is a dark and nasty road I think we should to avoid.

Keep voicing your opinions and providing your suggestions! :D Let's FIX the problem, not make it worse. ;)
    edited October 2011
    No need to avoid crafting. If this concept in any shape or form goes live, I will simply not use the dilithium exchange, I will not sell my dilithium, nor will I buy C-points. And if I have a standard gold account, convert to silver. As I would advice anyone to do to voice your displeasure.

If Enough Gold members converted to silver or the LTS just never invested any thing in the C-store other then their stipend, and never bought Dilithium on the exchange... it would start to get the point across that we hate something. But given all the negative feed back, I seriously do not think that this idea will make it to live server.

So you think they actually WANT people to subscribe?
    edited October 2011
    Simale wrote:
    As could be heard on one of the STOked interview with the QA team they mentioned that some players had reached the Energy Credits cap, which is 999'999'999'999 EC.

So they though this new economic system would prevent that.

But how many are these billionaires? 0.00001% of the sum of all players?

None I've talked to have that kind of cash on their toons. So why should all of us suffer because Cryptic want to get to those billionaires? If you don't want players to have that much money, lover the cap.

But don't punish the rest of us that aren't billionaires.

Forget that, don't punish the billionaire because they busted their humps to get where they are.

This is complete hogwash.

Just because someone worked their tail ends off to become ungodly rich, doesn't mean that their hard work and effort should be negated.

It isn't the crafter's fault that crafting was built in a mangle.

I've worked my tail end off to gain what I have, I have earned it.

How about:

Don't punish ANY OF US because of your POORLY DESIGNED game system.

Cryptic is also violating a cardinal rule of governence:

Once you give the King's penny to the people;, you can never take it away.

They said subs wouldn't be affected, they said cstore prices would be lower, they said dilithium wouldn't be a grind nor would it be necessary for the majority of gamers. They said this wouldn't be a Pay2win game and IT IS.

For their own good, they need to retain every interaction on this board and every internal communication between themselves for when the lawsuit gets filed against them. I doubt any lawsuit will ever be won, but I promise you that there are enough angry people here to band together to return the agony to cryptic that has been brought to us. Sometimes a lawsuit's very existence brings about humility and change for the better.

I would fully support a class action suit to demand that Cryptic cease promising its customers one thing, and delivering the exact opposite. We were told that our gaming experience would not be changed, that we would lose NOTHING. What complete and utter garbage.

Do you really think they are going to back off their cash cow now?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    edited October 2011
    Forget that, don't punish the billionaire because they busted their humps to get where they are.

This is complete hogwash.

Just because someone worked their tail ends off to become ungodly rich, doesn't mean that their hard work and effort should be negated.

It isn't the crafter's fault that crafting was built in a mangle.

I've worked my tail end off to gain what I have, I have earned it.

How about:

Don't punish ANY OF US because of your POORLY DESIGNED game system.

Cryptic is also violating a cardinal rule of governence:

Once you give the King's penny to the people;, you can never take it away.

The lies that have been told by cryptic are just plain disgusting. They said subs wouldn't be affected, they said cstore prices would be lower, they said dilithium wouldn't be a grind nor would it be necessary for the majority of gamers. They said this wouldn't be a Pay2win game and IT IS.

For their own good, they need to retain every interaction on this board and every internal communication between themselves for when the lawsuit gets filed against them. I doubt any lawsuit will ever be won, but I promise you that there are enough angry people here to band together to return the agony to cryptic that has been brought to us. Sometimes a lawsuit's very existence brings about humility and change for the better.

I would fully support a class action suit to demand that Cryptic cease promising its customers one thing, and delivering the exact opposite. We were told that our gaming experience would not be changed, that we would lose NOTHING. What complete and utter garbage.

Do you really think they are going to back off their cash cow now?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'd rather see .00001% of the player base have their Trillions of EC disappear than punish 100% of the current playerbase.

They could cut the EC cap in half and still have those at-the-EC-cap player able to buy whatever they desire, at any time.

There's nothing good that can come of having a few players with enough EC to buy everything on the Exchange and throw it in the trash or sell it to Vendors, removing it all from the game entirely.

Such (in-game) economic terrorism should not be possible.
    edited October 2011
    Katic wrote: »
    I'd rather see .00001% of the player base have their Trillions of EC disappear than punish 100% of the current playerbase.

They could cut the EC cap in half and still have those at-the-EC-cap player able to buy whatever they desire, at any time.

There's nothing good that can come of having a few players with enough EC to buy everything on the Exchange and sell throw it in the trash, removing it all from the game entirely.

Such (in-game) economic terrorism should not be possible.

EC isn't being affected at all.

This isn't about EC, this is about Cryptic making the Chinese government their 50 million + dollars back by nickle and diming us via the cstore. How are people with Billions causing the problem? It is just EC.

There is too much obfuscation going on right now.

DOWN WITH PAY2WIN!
    edited October 2011
    tsabonayev wrote:
    So you think they actually WANT people to subscribe?

At this point I have no clue. I am just hoping that they will actually listen to player feeback on this.
    and the chance they will. 0.5% chance.

more likely they will reduce the dilithium costs, 2 - 3 times to try and make us /happy/ which will only make us tolerate it.
    edited October 2011
    At this point I have no clue. I am just hoping that they will actually listen to player feeback on this.
    and the chance they will. 0.5% chance.

more likely they will reduce the dilithium costs, 2 - 3 times to try and make us /happy/ which will only make us tolerate it.

Which likely is the original and true goal.

Throw out something they no we will hate so that it seems insane to us.

Then they appear better when they reduce the amount, but leave us with still paying dilithium.

I think the best we could possible dream of at this moment is the insane hope they will leave dilithium for silver players but remove the dilithium crafting payment for gold subscribers.

I fear that is not where they will settle, however.
    edited October 2011
    Unfortunately this just goes to show the Devs are either completely out of touch with the playerbase, or no longer have control of their own game(due to PW). Either way its a very bad sign.

By the way....

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3567603&postcount=147

Just saying. ;)
    edited October 2011
    LOL, just read Priority One... Can anyone say suck up "Based on D'Angelo's words, we should at least give his team the benefit of the doubt that it will sort most things out before the game re-launches as F2P". All I can say is PURE DOUBT and oh also BLOOD SUCKERS. Yeah I know money is needed for any business and or company but you know when every aspect of the game is nickel and dimeing players you will make less money with no one buying anything or rather having a game with no players.
    edited October 2011

This isn't about EC, this is about Cryptic making the Chinese government their 50 million + dollars back by nickle and diming us via the cstore. How are people with Billions causing the problem? It is just EC.

DOWN WITH PAY2WIN!

The stated purpose for doing the economy revamp and linking Dilithium and C-Store points is to avoid the huge inflation of Dilithium as happened with EC, to mitigate the value of EC by removing uses for it.

They are taking the lessons they learned with EC and applying them to Dilithium with the added goal of monetizing the in-game economy.

I'm saying an easy way to do that would be to nuke the EC cap, eliminating the power of the .00001% Super-EC-rich the Devs are worried about.

And as I've pointed out in other threads, Cryptic and STO were financially solvent before the PW acquisition, they could have left well enough alone and made their money back. Monetizing nearly everything is motivated by pure greed.

You and I are on the same page, I simply disagree with you about whether or not we can or should punish the super-EC-rich.
    edited October 2011

DOWN WITH PAY2WIN!

I believe the bulk of PW's owners are Americans doing business through a Chinese company.

Not hard to see why. They have about five times the return on investment that Blizzard does. And... yeek. EA's financials look worse than Atari's, at a glance.
    edited October 2011
    Usually the rage and anger comes from a handfull of posters, but this time...

I have not seen, in a long time if ever, so many different posters attacking an idea on the forums.

This is a bad idea that needs to pulled out.

Even as a very limited crafter, the thought of my having to pay extra for the ability to use a regular/current game mechanic, moreso as a Gold Subscriber via Lifetime, is simply disgusting.

I could ALMOST be ready to accept the notion of Silver Players having to add some Dilithium to their crafting (since they are not paying), but under no circumstance whatsoever should Gold and Lifetime Members be taxed in this manner. None!

This is simply unconscionable and unscrupulous.

Shame on you Cryptic.

Shame.

Unhappy_Canuck :(
    edited October 2011
    Welcome to Star Trek Online. Please visit the C-Store to log in!
    edited October 2011
    12:27 PST and NOTHING has been posted in here by the Devs or D'Angelo.

God help you guys at Cryptic. You've angered a HUGE percentage of people through this new crafting mangle. While I thought there might be a chance to save the reputation of the game prior to this update, I simply cannot see anything other than the complete and utter doom of this game.

Whoever decided to do this should probably lay low for several decades. It is quite obvious that Cryptic has no idea what kind of fanatic star trek fans are. They certainly wouldn't do this if they knew a lunatic was building an hbomb in their garage just to wipe them out. Messing with Star Trek fanatics is just about as dangerous.

The ONLY way I will ever be appeased is if they added special bonuses for using a LITTLE dilithium in your builds OR if they allowed us to MELT down the items we have made to regain some lost dilithium.

Why in the world is such rage allowed to go on without some comment?

I wonder if PWI realizes how angry the customer base of STO will be over this. Time to write an angrygram, methinks.
    edited October 2011
    Usually the rage and anger comes from a handfull of posters, but this time...

I have not seen, in a long time if ever, so many different posters attacking an idea on the forums.

This is a bad idea that needs to pulled out.

Even as a very limited crafter, the thought of my having to pay extra for the ability to use a regular/current game mechanic, moreso as a Gold Subscriber via Lifetime, is simply disgusting.

I could ALMOST be ready to accept the notion of Silver Players having to add some Dilithium to their crafting (since they are not paying), but under no circumstance whatsoever should Gold and Lifetime Members be taxed in this manner. None!

This is simply unconscionable and unscrupulous.

Shame on you Cryptic.

Shame.

Unhappy_Canuck :(

Untrue. There was a topic not too long ago about the Tier x.5 politics where we had a lot of regular users and generally positive thinking people not being amused at all, and they also voiced their opinions quite heavily. This is unfortunately already the second top notch negative issue we are dealing with. And this thread is even larger than the Tier x.5 one.
    edited October 2011
    A another F2P game came to mind about this rD crafting implementation.

This other F2P game uses a percentage chance of success in order to enhance your gears.Higher level gears require more expensive materials, along with a lowering percentage chance of success.

Basically, for a top tiered piece of gear, you have like a 15% chance to successfully upgrade your gear +1.

So you have an 85% chance to fail.
    In that 85% failure chance there is a 35% chance that your gear will drop a +1 if it had a plus at all. AND a 25% chance your gear is simply be destroyed.

But don't worry about losing your gears!! Cause the game store sells 3 different things in the Game Store to help you!!
    One object "A",increases your chance of success by 25%!!! (btw, it's a percentage of the Percentage, so actually you get 18.5% success chance...) The object is "used" regardless of success.
    Object "B" eliminates the chance your gear gets degraded a +1. The object is "used" regardless of success.
    Object "C" eliminates the destruction risk. The object is "used" regardless of success.

Objects "A, B, and C" each cost $5 for a 10 each.
    So $15 dollars to have an 18.5% success, no degradation and no breaking.
    So your left with the statistic of needing 6 of each object to upgrade you gear +1.
    To get to +3 you need 18 of each object. So that's 1 more purchase of each object stack, or $30 total and 2 of each object left over.
    At +4 to +6, your base chance to succeed is lowered to 12% (15% with object "A"!).
    So you need 7 to increase to +4, or 21 to increase to +6. You had 2 left over so you needed 19 more, so 2 more stacks were purchased, for another $30 or $60 total and 1 of each object left over.
    At +7 to +9 your base chance to succeed dropped to 8% (10% when you use object "A"!)... etc.

In all you spent $105 for the statistical probablility to get a max plussed high tiered gear...
    Oh ya, that was just 1 piece of gear out of 6 you use... ($630...)
    If you wanna PvP at high level in this other F2P game, then YOU HAVE to max out your gear, because someone else already has, and so has his team....
    Oh ya, i forgot the expensive in-game materials you using at each attempt.
    So you have to be rich in-game too...
    edited October 2011
    The disconnect is that if the intention is solely to have "brag worthy top end gear" you are going to have to put in new items like I suggested. Because most people already have this gear on their mains. Because it is harder to get the gear the got before, they will be less likely to level an alt. or gear a new ship, or get another boff. What does that mean? Less C-Store sales in ships, ship slots, boff slots, etc... All throughout this thread people are posting all the ramifications your actions will have not only on our gameplay, but the success of your F2P launch and potential C-Store item sales.

To fix and undo the damage you have already done before you launch F2P:
    • Make two new classes of rareity and charge the higer amounts of dilithium for those at the dilithium vendor and the crafting surcharge.
    • Remove all dilithium from anything below those two new levels from crafting
    • Return a scaled dilithium reward for all exploration missions, on the half hour timer and offer an alterntive reward.
    • Hook up dilithium to more systems, but don't force them to be dailies they can be of lesser amount but on the same timer.
    • Significantly raise or remove the dilithium hard-cap.

You do that and alot of issues go away and or fixed and you can get into the meat and potatos of what this rigorous dev cycle should have been, polish, content, systems. Honestly, from what I am seeing in here this is as far as the current loyal, paying, customer base would agree with.

Regardless of what it is or is not at this point, I would just like to see this problem fixed appropriately before we play-test this weekend. My hope is they are quiet because they are working hard on a Friday patch to remove this crafting non-sense and then Monday they can beging talks anew with us on what WE would suggest as fixes that minimize or negate any adverse impact. :) Here's hoping!!!
    edited October 2011
    With implementing this horrible antiplayer change to crafting and then not making even a brief response before now it's almost like PW/Cryptic walked up behind the player base and *spit* on the back of their necks.

Where is the response?

Answer your customers.
    edited October 2011
    After 30 pages [...]
    30 pages for you, maybe, but only 9 for me.

(I am also opposed to adding a dilithium cost to crafting. My point above is mainly to illustrate that it's rather silly whenever someone cites a number of pages in a thread, because not everyone uses the same posts-per-page settings. It would be more accurate to cite the number of posts in a given thread, rather than attempting to cite number of pages.)
    edited October 2011
    My point above is mainly to illustrate that it's rather silly whenever someone cites a number of pages in a thread, because not everyone uses the same posts-per-page settings.

There is a standard.

Some people deviating from it does not change that.
    edited October 2011
    I like to craft and explore. Very Casual and rewarding. Many a times before, I had wished anomaly scans could be more fun, crafting more complex and rewarding.

If this goes live, I would be standing in the angry side because It will spoil a part of the game that I love so much, though not completely.

Unfortunately I have no suggestions but please do not make crafting anything less that it already is.
    edited October 2011
    Cryptic after look over all your free too play blogs I can safely say you are taking the Square-Enix Final Fantasy XIV teams approach on MMO making, and Sonic team's reasoning on what people want in there games. I'm trying to follow Civil Phil on this and trying to be calm about it, but I can't its starting to look like your name maybe come known for poor ideas and a death of an IP.

But its not too late, if Square-Enix and Sega can come out and admit to the poor choices made and the horrible game made from these choices then you can too, and save STO. Look at Bio-Ware that have apologies for Dragon Age 2, Gear box did the same for Duke Nukem Forever.

Shigeru Miyamoto was quoted once saying "a delayed game will eventually become good, but a bad game will stay bad forever."

Come out and recognized that these are some bad ideas and Go back and rethink them.

I think one guy who posted a few pages back said it the best.

Delay the F2P for 6 months so you can rework everything
    push the good things to Live, Like the Doff system, the Calendar, Ect.

What I ask you to do is this. Stop and look and ask are we doing whats right? Can we do this another way? Why are we getting So much negative feed back on many of these new changes?