test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Path to F2P Dev Blog #14

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Galactic News Network [PC]
What's changed about crafting on the Tribble F2P test server? Stephen let's us know in today's update on The Path to F2P.

Link to the Article
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I'm sorry but this blog shows you have no grasp of how or why people craft in this game. Fleet crafters are going to be non existant. Some players want nothing to do with crafting in a game but they will buy from people who like to craft, with these changes that is no longer possible. I have had high hopes for this game since the start, but now it's starting to look very grim indeed.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    EEPH wrote:
    The basics of crafting have not been altered.

Except that now to get anything of value every character must craft it themselves since there is no way to trade dilithium to a crafting character or a single crafter in a fleet. Until the ability to trade dilithium between players or characters is implemented on a later pass (hint, hint) the basics have been altered.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Please let us know what you think of the crafting changes by posting on the Tribble forums.
    You asked for it: Just cut to the chase and take crafting out of game, cause that's what this update does.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The two above me are onto something. This is going to be a problem, devs. I'm a fleet crafter, and I'm not crazy about this change.

Also, can we please get MORE items unique to crafting? Like, a LOT more and of greater variety?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The standard gear that can be crafted using a Dilithium contribution is generally identical to the gear found in stores for sale using only Dilithium, but the Dilithium cost when crafting is much lower.
    Uhm, from what I've been hearing you pay about 30-60% of the store cost in Dilithium when crafting. Is this really what you mean by 'much lower?'
    Thus, players that put the time into collecting samples and improving their crafting skill can get the same gear at a substantially lower cost.
    But crafters are also supporting their fleets. Are you positing crafting as being entirely a solo experience? Or is Cryptic/PWI expecting people to buy C-points so they can purchase extra dilithium so they can build gear for their fleet?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Crafting for others is finished. Even crafting for my own alts is made more difficult. You should not include a non-tradeable component in crafting - especially one with an indirect real $ value. This is a terrible change, please remove dilitium from crafting.

With the current pricing I am likely to be better off to ignore crafting altogether and just earn a little more dilithium to buy items outright - it would likely be quicker than finding the right samples.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Wow..what a bunch of TRIBBLE. Dilthium to craft even marked items. I can understanding making it harder to craft high end gear. But to put an economy cost onto crafting is ridiculous. The whole point of crafting is to get gear just as good as those bought through the grinding stores without that type of game play grind. People who can craft grind just as many anomalies as people who grind missions for dilithium. You want to make it harder, OK.. I can see that, crafting is a little easy right now. But don't add dilithium, change the recipes. Make it so you need multiple tier data for higher tiered items. That way crafters can't just farm B'tran to get end-game gear, they have to farm all over the place.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    No. Just no.

Requiring Refined Dilithium to craft higher-tier components at all basically cuts away the crafting system to a majority of crafters as many are dedicated crafter-only characters who, and let me stress this, have no desire, or drive, to earn Refined Dilithium to begin with.

Its hard enough that dedicated crafters must grind Energy Credits to buy materials from the Exchange, rely on other players in their fleet to supply them, or actually participate in parts of the game they do not want to participate in to begin with.

To add to this, the current costs of Refined Dilithium for crafting on Tribble are several levels above acceptable. There's no reason, at the current moment, to go through the entire crafting process when buying the wanted stuff on the R.Dilithium NPC store would be less hassle.

I have not once complained majorly about game changes you have placed in this game. The only few times I have were quickly fixed and quickly forgiven for such, which speaks already how quick you guys are able to fix problems like this. I even am willing to forgive the many multiple problems you have with content and the current Tribble setup of railroading the content in such a linear fashion. I am willing to forgive the massive problems with Dilithium conversion. I am even willing to forgive the fact that currently on Holodeck, its CHEAPER to buy/craft the top-tier stuff NOW before F2P hits.

This is the last straw, Cryptic. I have been an avid defender of your work, both CO and STO, and regularly purchase Cstore Points when I feel that you deserve it. I even bought a Lifetime account because I know it'll be a game I'd play for a long time.

You put this in, you've lost me as a customer, and a fan.

EDIT: Numbers:

Right now, it costs 30 Emblems to get a Emblem-based purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array. Now, compare this to Tribble, the cost of the R.Dilithium to craft a purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array is 15, 834. Going by the currently calculated Emblem-R.Dilithium conversion factor done by members of Jupiter Force, which is 336.128, which means at this conversion factor (336/1), it'll cost me in comparative Emblem cost 47.125 Emblems on R.Dilithium ALONE to craft the Purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array, NOT ADDING IN THE OTHER MATERIALS REQUIRED TO CRAFT THIS.
    HOLODECK:
    30 Emblems for a Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array

CONVERSION FACTOR: (found by @Irish_Darkshadow of Jupiter Force)
    336 RDil per Emblem (336/1)

TRIBBLE:
    22,620 R.Dilithium for a Purple Mk 11 Phaser Beam Array
    (22620 / 336 = 67.321)
    67.321 Emblems worth to get the same item

Bringing this to crafting:
    15,834 R.Dilithium cost for a crafted Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array (not including other materials)
    (15,834 / 336 = 47.125)
    47.125 Emblem's worth NOT INCLUDING OTHER MATERIAL COSTS to craft, INCLUDING THE LUCK-BASED RARE PARTICLE TRACES.

Even though the Purple Mk11 Phaser Beam Array has slightly better modifiers, that cannot explain why the hell I'm spending 17 more Emblem's worth on the R.Dilithium ALONE just to craft this, not counting the other materials.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    More of the game made more difficult no matter if you subscribed or not.

Cryptic, if you want to make this good for your existing customer base, then subscribers should be able to craft everything at ZERO Dilithium cost. And those items crafted by subscribers can only by traded and used BY subscribers.

Silver players should be locked out of crafting altogether or only allowed to craft Odd Mk'd Gear.

Thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It the dumbest thing I've seen yet.

Why not just increase trace costs to craft "good stuff" if it takes 30 now make it 40.

This is full of so much fail.

Bad enough we can't but "common" ships with EC anymore.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I agree, this will effectively kill crafting. The grind in getting samples was bad enough. To add in a DL cost is just wrong.

As others have stated it kills crafting for others. Really not a fan of the added cost.:mad:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I am a crafter, not the only one in the 44th, but the only one left in the House of Citak (as the majority of the fleet rage-quit over P2W when you put in the Rhode Island).

This kills all motivation for me to craft.

And, as a casual player, I find it insulting for you to assume I will be happy settling for odd-mark gear from crafting because I loath repetitive daily grinding.

It was bad enough having to grind exploration to get loads of anomalies, then worse when you screwed us with the rare particle traces (which were off-balance in the recipes and drop rates), now, adding Dilithium to the mix, I am done with crafting.

You want some advice? Stop thinking you get a pass for blatant railroading of Gold Subscribers to the C-$tore, and the sorry service ethic of the industry at large does not excuse or justify your own bad behavior and avarice.

Ever since the PW acquisition, you've continuously ignored the major points of our feedback, when this game dies, don't blame us, blame yourselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Unless the required amount for refined dilithium on X items is like....2 all you'll end up with is a ****ed off player base for forcing them to use a resource that they are limited on refining per a day, and that has other applications to begin with (Or do you really someone is going to waste refined dilithium crafting when they have a starship to save up for? Yes people at Vice Admiral still have ships they want to buy, especially if you add a higher tier) How about instead of having refined dilithium as a requirement for all high level gear, make it a requirement for all super-rare gear to be crafted at all levels, with it scaling based on the item rank?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Long story short:
    You basically killed crafting in Star Trek Online with this "revision".

I am sorry, but this is nuts. Crafting is and has always been an additional way in any game to get gear.
    R&D was never a very well thought out system in STO. Compare R&D to another successful
    games like Lotro etc. and you see a billion light year difference what crafting is and should look like.

The Dilithium component is a very bad move and makes no sense at al. Dilithium is a currency in Star Trek Online and not a crafting component. It would and could have been a component if it wasn't used for Economy values.

If we go deeper and look at it on an other angle we can pretty much say that crafting has become a pay to gear yourself now. Given the fact, of course, that Dilithium can be traded to C-Points, which are purchased by real money.

Instead of making and advancing crafting as an important and more important ingame element you ruined it.
    Instead of adding more stations to craft and not having you to fly to Memory Alpha or Kronos all the time, you again missed the point and added nothing but the element of "Let's focus on a feature how we can make money out of it".

This is bad. With this I will never craft again items which involve Dilithium as a component.

The only way this systems as it is on Tribble now is acceptable would be crafting C-Store Ships. This I could understand, but not the very weak gear equipment found in R&D.

Epic Fail.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I have to agreed with the other opinions posted here; Adding Dilithium to crafting is a terrible idea.

Dilithium is currently a non-tradable resource in game, and one that will have a direct conversion to C-store points and thus real dollars. The items crafted though do not have this same relationship, so there is a serious problem with this model.

If you think people can use crafting to get high level gear too easily, then increase the component costs for the recipes and getting those components takes a significant time investiment anyway. But please don't link crafting to Dilithium. That's just going break the model you were building up and wreak crafting as we know it.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I have to side with the doom and gloomers here, 15k dilithium to craft a mk XI Ship Weapon is way too high, when the VA store sells them for "only" 22k dilithium.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    You really should mention that crafting is now "intended to be a solo experience", because without being able to trade Dilithium that is what it has become.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The standard gear that can be crafted using a Dilithium contribution is generally identical to the gear found in stores for sale using only Dilithium, but the Dilithium cost when crafting is much lower. Thus, players that put the time into collecting samples and improving their crafting skill can get the same gear at a substantially lower cost.

Ummmm. no and no... the gear in the DL stores is better, the modifiers are more preferred. Also, the drops for a particular level of data samples are not limited to one area now. If I wanted blue data samples I knew where to go to get them, now an assortment of levels of data samples are dropped.

Mr. D'Angelo, have YOU sat down, picked and item, and collected 30 purple data samples of the same type PLUS the required anomalies to go along with it? How long did it take you? I understand your idea... but the DL prices need to be in the low hundreds for Mark XI gear.... and

IT SHOULD BE ENERGY CREDITS INSTEAD!
    1. because it would be another EC sink
    2. Fleet crafters could use the EC from fleet banks
    3. Set it high if you want... 50K EC...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So you are planning on removing the exchange next then right? This pretty much destroys any form of trade between players beyond the giving things to your friend level. Or are you going to beat a dead horse and make us pay dilithium to use the exchange too?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So you are planning on removing the exchange next then right? This pretty much destroys any form of trade between players beyond the giving things to your friend level. Or are you going to beat a dead horse and make us pay dilithium to use the exchange too?

Please do not give these people any more ideas on how to TRIBBLE over your players.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

This is basically what my point is about... I can understand why some things (like ships and whatnot) will cost Dilithium, but this is over the top. Next thing you know it, EVERYTHING will use Dilithium!!! Please, please rethink what you're doing here. It sends the message that you won't be able to do anything in-game without it.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    This is also going to make EC prices for crafted items UNGODLY on the exchange... because if I craft something and have to drop more that 480 DL on it... oh boy will it be expensive....

Watch there will be another F2P blog pointing out that they are just testing how things work blah blah.... well we should get another reward just for having to go through this nightmare every week.... These darn patches are taking years off of my life with the anger and stress.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    No Cryptic...just no...DO NOT CHANGE CRAFTING...ThIS CHANGE WILL KILL CRAFTING COMPLETELY
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Why bother with giving any feedback,they only think about $$$$ in C-store sales.:(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    What I think? BOOOO!

Crafting change is EPIC FAIL! Nor did ANY of us ask for this. :mad:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    NO!

So crafting will be useless. It is already a grind, with these changes it will be even worse.
    If there needs to be additional costs (there shouldn't) make it EC.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The basics of crafting have not been altered.

^ You Sir are a blatent lier. I had hopes that you might help STO...way to see another dream burst into flames.

I feel sorry for Star Trek every time a new Path to P2W Blog arises b/c this is the only "real" Star Trek MMO.....oh well. One can dream of a TOR equivalent to STO in the future. :D :cool:
    Gear from Mark II, Mark IV, Mark VI, Mark VIII, Mark IX, Mark X, and Mark XI are crafted using samples, but also require a contribution of Refined Dilithium to complete the crafting.

^ Why? Why is dilithium aka grindfest needed...? Why not keep the basic samples / traces??? :confused:
    wardyboy wrote:
    I'm sorry but this blog shows you have no grasp of how or why people craft in this game. Fleet crafters are going to be non existant. Some players want nothing to do with crafting in a game but they will buy from people who like to craft, with these changes that is no longer possible. I have had high hopes for this game since the start, but now it's starting to look very grim indeed.

^ I guess I really should find time to craft purples or get one of my friends to craft for me before crafting is turned into an even more grindfest / disaster.

WAY TO FAIL CRYPTIC. :( ...trust me when I say you don't want me posting on the Tribble Forums :/
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Unfortunately this just goes to show the Devs are either completely out of touch with the playerbase, or no longer have control of their own game(due to PW). Either way its a very bad sign.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Unfortunately this just goes to show the Devs are either completely out of touch with the playerbase, or no longer have control of their own game(due to PW). Either way its a very bad sign.

I say both.

When the Nagus is worried I think that is a sign to almost panic. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I disagree with this change. Many reasons stated already.