What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - October 20, 2011

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Well... I don't mind that it'll cost dilithium to craft even mk items, and mk XI items, but the current price is a little over half of what it'd cost for to straight buy the item anyway. That's a little ridiculous I think. I wouldn't mind paying 1/4 of the dilithium cost, but 1/5 or 1/6 would be a more reasonable idea, and more palatable to the player base if you're going to keep up the idea of adding in a dilithium cost.

And that might even be doable for a single character crafting for themselves. It becomes more of a burden if you are crafting for an army of alts, and downright prohibitive if you want to craft for others, whether that is casually, for a fleet or for the exchange.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh yeah, I agree there completely, I only have one crafting toon, but like 6 others that I craft gear for whenever I can't or don't want to buy it. Bottom line, that dilithium cost needs to go down a lot, or go away.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh yeah, I agree there completely, I only have one crafting toon, but like 6 others that I craft gear for whenever I can't or don't want to buy it. Bottom line, that dilithium cost needs to go down a lot, or go away.

Same here. I've only got one toon that is a crafter. Thankfully I'm not the fleet crafter, I just do it to deck myself out no matter which ship I decide to use.

But the major gripe I have is that with this initial implimentation of having to pay a dilithium fee for odd-marked equipment and everything ranked Mk IX and up makes it strongly discouraging to hardcore grinders like me to deck our own ship out let alone our "reserve" ships and forget about crafting for a player fleet. The caps won't let us break even by a long shot at Commander/Captain on up.

I understand it is subject to change being a test server for this stuff, but this first pass is a complete turn-off to crafting. I may have a nearly 200k Dilithium on my crafting toon but I'd go flat broke trying to set up my own ship with the top-of-the-line Purples or even Blues. Plus the lack of green & blue weapons above Mk IX is disturbing but that's a different issue.

I seriously hope the next pass through on crafting drops the fee or removes it completely. I'd rather use twice the normal data samples and schematics to make a blue/purple than cough up Dilithium for a blue/purple Mk X/XI item. Players can only get 8k a day from ore and it would take over a week of grinding to load out one ship if you can stand the repetitive boredom of doing the same things over and over.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Alrighty, i decided to transfer over one of my crafters to test out the changes made to the Crafting System with this update on the Federation side of the house...

I'm unsure as to why Dilithium was added to the Crafting System since Crafting had no relation to the Marks, Merits, or Badges at all... Some of the Dilithium requirements for the MK XI equipment are insane (upwards of 18k per item)... With the 8000 dilithium per day restriction and all the other things you need to spend dilithium on I don't see why it was added to Crafting... My original impressions were that Dilithium was meant to replace a complicated Badge and Mark system, not to make playing the game more tedious...

I had no real qualms with the crafting system before, but with the addition of Crafting as a Dilithium sink, i'm begining to question the real motives behind the introduction of the Dilithium system as compared to the Mark and Badge system...

As a suggestion, why not add a Energy Credit cost to crafting rather than the highly restricted Dilithium? I wouldn't mind that as much, because with the 8000 per day restriction on Dilithium and all the other required uses for Dilithium when leveling up (i.e. Ship purchasing, Equipment Vendors, Bridge Officer Vendors, etc) it's a little crazy... What currently takes a few minute to several hours to gather enough resources to craft, could now potentially take days or longer to make those same items, because you have to gather enough processed Dilithium...

I really don't mind the change over to a Dilithium system from the old Mark/Merit/Badge system, but keep it away from areas of the game where the Marks, Merits, and Badges had no place before... It's intention as I was originally lead to believe was to make things less complicated, not make the game more restrictive...

Lets look at this scenario logically...

As a Gold Member, say a player has a free weekend and decides playing STO is what he plans to do all weekend and plays a Fed toon at rank Lt. and also decides to start crafting as well... In the 2 solid days he plays, he goes all the way from Lt. to Commander, which is completely feasible given the amount of time he plans to play... At the most he can make 16000 processed Dilithium... Now he also decides to try and keep his Crafting current with his characters rank, and spends some of that time farming resources while doing his missions...

Now, here are all the things he needs to spend Dilithium on as a requirement to keep his Ship and Crafting equal with his rank (A - 2 Seperate Ship Purchases at Lt. Commander and again at Commander, B - Crafting his way into MK V equipment at a minimum)... Those are just the required things, but optionally he may also want to buy a few pieces of equipment from the Dilithium Vendors as well as... There really is no way in the current Test system for him to accomplish this in those 2 days due to the Dilithium Restrictions... In the old Mark/Badge system, yes, he could get his 2 ships, get his crafting up to speed, and get a few pieces of good proper level equipment from the Mark vendors in that weekend...

The only other recourse is to lessen how often he plays in the long term, and just concentrate on Dilithium production each day, in order to not out-level his ability to keep his ship, equipment, and crafting equal with his rank... At this point, you have to question your Gold versus Silver status, and how much time you want to devote each day to the game compared to his previous commitment to the game... Since your playing less often, is it worth paying monthly or would it be easier and less costly to just go Silver? A valid question given this situation. The only other recourse under this situation, if you play alot, is you'll have to realize your current ship will just never be as good as it could have been under the old system as compared to the new, if you continue to play alot each day... These are the facts....

Sometimes I begin to wonder it it is more of a ploy to push players into spending more real money on the c-store so they don't have to worry about the Dilithium restrictions... I hate to say this, as i understand it's a business and the goal is profits, but that would seem rather underhanded and could be a big mistake in the long term if that is what motivated these changes, as compared to helping the player base out with a less complicated system... In the short term, I can see from a business standpoint how this might increase revenues greatly at first, but in the mean time you run the risk of driving away what is considered a fickle and hightly devoted Star Trek fan base... It could also be misconstrued as a Profit at the expense of Playability situation... In the long term, these changes could be extremely profitable and could lead to great things... Who knows... These are just highly speculative ponderings...

Anyhooo, stepping down off my soap box...

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well may be here is someone arround who can answer me that question:

The Vandal and Scourge destroyers console... on wich ships are they usable? Can they be equiped on a BoP?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The new "interact effect" is awesome. Very useful, I no longer miss vital objectives or buttons to press.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well may be here is someone arround who can answer me that question:

The Vandal and Scourge destroyers console... on wich ships are they usable? Can they be equiped on a BoP?

The consoles from both destroyers are usable on a BoP. I know that for sure cause that's what I'm doing on Tribble currently. (It can also equip the Barrier Field from the Tier 3 Gorn science vessel. :D )
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Tick0 wrote:
    The consoles from both destroyers are usable on a BoP. I know that for sure cause that's what I'm doing on Tribble currently. (It can also equip the Barrier Field from the Tier 3 Gorn science vessel. :D )

Thank you a lot I was lookinng for that info forever ingame and in forums!

Enjoy the Prune Juice! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011

HOPEFULLY they do what they did with the BOFF promotion Skill Points. Originally, it was hundreds of points to promote them...now it's very minimal...like 10 or so. IF they keep Di as a requirement for crafting, I think they should make it no more than 100 or 200 . But, to do that they need to go back to making anomaly drops more rare. If you take notice, it's a TON easier to get rare drops now than it was before. I think they need to go back to the Holo system for drops. Then, if they want to add Di, they need to make it a total minimum.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Longasc wrote:
    The new "interact effect" is awesome. Very useful, I no longer miss vital objectives or buttons to press.

I agree here. Especially on the cluster missions where you just check data banks and it's in the bases that look like Memory Alpha...everything is so bright, so that little graphic really helps.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Longasc wrote:
    Oortael wrote:
    I agree here. Especially on the cluster missions where you just check data banks and it's in the bases that look like Memory Alpha...everything is so bright, so that little graphic really helps.

I don't agree. Remove that eyesore and make these things either visible on the maps as blinking dots or make it possible to scan for them with our tricorders. This is just plain ugly and ruins the otherwise beautiful graphics i the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Special Task Force
    • Infected Space
      • Destroying the Gate and Transformers is now a much more linear process.
        • To destroy the Gate you must destroy both Transformers.
        • To destroy the Transformers you must destroy all four Generators.
        • All objects are now targetable (damageable) when the puzzle starts
        • You no longer have to damage one object to make a second object targetable.
          • As you destroy the objects, be on the lookout for reinforcements.
    • Cure Space
      • Healing puzzle changes similar to that of Infected Space.
      • The attackers going for the Kang have been increased slightly.
    • Cure Ground
      • Mini Boss Turrets have had a damage and health boost.
      • You can no longer climb over the boss shield in the Armek Fight.
    • Queue
      • Players will be kicked from the STF maps after the mission completes (or fails). You have 3 min to get any loot that’s dropped before you are removed.
      • STF Private Queues now require at least 3 people to start.
      • Fixed the bug that was not giving dead players on the STFs their loot.

Known Issues:
    • Some icons for the +1 ship consoles are placeholder. Please pardon our space dust.
    • Klingon Academy is missing it’s map.
    • Auto Teaming not properly teaming people in the STF’s
    • Gates are immune to torpedo damage, and carrier pets not acting correctly. Fix should be on the way soon for both issues.
    • If you transferred your character and are not seeing your CXP from the Doff system don’t worry! You’re still earning it, you just cant see it. We have a fix coming soon :)

The bug where dead players dont get there loot still isnt fixed i died in infected ground when the boss did and didnt get my loot
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Same here.

Happened to me yesterday - was taking a nap in the plasma pool. Mission ended and I got nothing :(
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    "Interact effect"??? Are you referring to these god-awful moving gears above the consoles that look like the moving parts of an old wind up watch??? If so, NO, these are HORRIBLE and totally unnecessary. If people need something that makes them more obvious, just enhance the flashing effect. These are a BIG turn off and so unsightly I had to ask someone else just who thought that this was a good idea.

If nothing else, allow users to turn them on or off as desired. I totally hate that they take away from the game by inserting a totally unrealistic effect to the consoles.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Keep making these changes guys, it is giving me lots of time to catch up on my reading. If you drive the game totally into the ground (as seems to be your wont) I might finally be able to read Edward Bulwer-Lytton for relief from the tedium of this game. Or, I could just get a full-frontal labotomy to make the game fun again.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The bug where dead players dont get there loot still isnt fixed i died in infected ground when the boss did and didnt get my loot
    Shkelton wrote: »
    Same here.

Happened to me yesterday - was taking a nap in the plasma pool. Mission ended and I got nothing :(

That's because the loot still appears in the center platform. Five players, five loot doohickeys. Gotta be alive to grab it or have someone revive you so you can get up there. Unless you mean it wasn't there when you managed to get out of the plasma pool. That would suck walnuts. >_<
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ethoir wrote:
    That's because the loot still appears in the center platform. Five players, five loot doohickeys. Gotta be alive to grab it or have someone revive you so you can get up there. Unless you mean it wasn't there when you managed to get out of the plasma pool. That would suck walnuts. >_<
    You cannot get loot at all in the STFs if you're dead when the boss dies. It doesn't even spawn a bag for your to pick up.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I cannot describe how disappointed and discouraged I am with the new dilithium fees to crafting. If I spend the time in the game to get the materials to craft, then I should be able to craft without having to pay precious dilithium. As a Crafting Officer for my fleet, this is extremely ridiculous! How am I supposed to be able to assist in supplying my fleet members with crafted items when they can't help pay for them through their hard work as they do now? This is absolutely asinine!

Cryptic, you are utterly destroying the relationship you have with your loyal players by making this kind of change! Punishing us for working hard and working together is completely illogical! As a lifetime member, I feel it is my duty to express this concern in order to best support my fleet-mates and fellow gamers.

Mr. D'Angelo, Tear down this change!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Simale wrote:
    I don't agree. Remove that eyesore and make these things either visible on the maps as blinking dots or make it possible to scan for them with our tricorders. This is just plain ugly and ruins the otherwise beautiful graphics i the game.

It's no different than the space indicators.

Perhaps an configuration setting would be a good compromise.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Viper1422 wrote:
    I cannot describe how disappointed and discouraged I am with the new dilithium fees to crafting. If I spend the time in the game to get the materials to craft, then I should be able to craft without having to pay precious dilithium. As a Crafting Officer for my fleet, this is extremely ridiculous! How am I supposed to be able to assist in supplying my fleet members with crafted items when they can't help pay for them through their hard work as they do now? This is absolutely asinine!

Cryptic, you are utterly destroying the relationship you have with your loyal players by making this kind of change! Punishing us for working hard and working together is completely illogical! As a lifetime member, I feel it is my duty to express this concern in order to best support my fleet-mates and fellow gamers.

Mr. D'Angelo, Tear down this change!

WHooHOO! You've got that right My friend!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    WHooHOO! You've got that right My friend!
    In tribble at least it takes no more than two hours to generate enough dili ore to exceed the daily refinement quota. For Mk XI craftables that comes down to eight hours to create a single item.

I'm fine with that.

My only argument is portability.

I would like to see crafting recipes not require non-transferable dili but instead a transferable equivalent. But that would of course defeat the non-transferabillty of dili. I don't know the right answer but I haven't and don't plan to spend a lot of time thinking about it. My wallet does the thinking.

Regardless were I Cryptic I would encourage them to figure out transferability so that crafters are not automagically gatherers. Fifteen years of MMO history prove that crafters as gatherers fail as a game mechanic.

In that model everyone becomes their own gatherer/crafter. And so there is no economy. Ultima Online proved that a decade ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    IF they are insistent that they put in this ridiculous fee/tax/whatever, in order to make the gear more rare or more valuable, not much we can do about that.
    However, it seems that the main issue (second to the fact that this fee exists) is the fact that you're using a resource that you can't transfer.
    If you need to induce this fee, then it would be better to add another crafting ingredient to the rare recipes. An element or schematic that requires dilithium to purchase, and make that transferable. In that sense, anyone could purchase the element or schematic and give this and the other ingredients to a crafter to make. This makes it more portable and keeps crafters more viable.

The more I've tested tribble the last few weeks, the more I realize how combat oriented this game has become, despite the limp attempts at diplomacy, etc. If people want to take up a alternative to straight combat by becoming a crafter, don't punish them. Keep as many options open for people to ease up on continuous and tedious grind you've developed.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    smegghed wrote: »
    The more I've tested tribble the last few weeks, the more I realize how combat oriented this game has become, despite the limp attempts at diplomacy, etc. If people want to take up a alternative to straight combat by becoming a crafter, don't punish them. Keep as many options open for people to ease up on continuous and tedious grind you've developed.

I almost mostly leveled from zero to VA on the DOff system. That is what alarmed me. Perhaps and hopefully Tribble is not representative of the final speed to level. The only reason I played missions to level was for the EC needed by the doff game.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Some feedback on the Disruptor Quads:

Their current stats are pathetic in comparison to other weapons of the same tier you're using. In fact I have a rare set of dual heavies at mark VI that do more Damage and DPS than the quads on Tribble, this is while I'm Captain, if the cannons level up with you, then a commander level weapon should not out damage it especially if i'm not specked into the dual's energy type.
    • Damage is insignificant. Lower tier weapons of unspeced energy types are doing more DPS and DPV.
    • Unique one per ship is uncalled for, in fact i'd fire the guy who thought it was a good idea.
    • -10 to engines is far too much of a handicap, they shouldn't have any negative engine modifier, if they're also going to reduce weapon power when firing.
    • visual effect is good, I'd like to see a few more pulses though, and I'd like the pulses to be larger, and more substantial, like the defiant's quads in the series'.
    • audio effect is horrible, they should sound beefy, heavy, "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP" cannons not "pew pew".
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I almost mostly leveled from zero to VA on the DOff system. That is what alarmed me.

They Upped the XP gain on Tribble so you can get to max level faster to test out the changes to STFs and find bugs in the questing.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I happen to really like the new interact effect. It certainly makes it less maddening when I'm out on a mission that has me scanning a rock or probe which is barely sticking out of the ground. However, as nice as it is on missions, I can understand how it might be less than desirable in places like ESD or any of the other starbases. Maybe there is a way to tweak it so that the icons only show up on missions?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I happen to really like the new interact effect. It certainly makes it less maddening when I'm out on a mission that has me scanning a rock or probe which is barely sticking out of the ground. However, as nice as it is on missions, I can understand how it might be less than desirable in places like ESD or any of the other starbases. Maybe there is a way to tweak it so that the icons only show up on missions?

Or even better, something that can be turned off completely for those that don't want to see that eyesore and instead use our Tricorders.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It's no different than the space indicators.

Perhaps an configuration setting would be a good compromise.

Well the one in space are ugly too. In Beta they didn't have them.
    It would be better if they removed them and made sure our scanners/tricorders can pick them up instead.
    Preferable with a setting letting us decide to scan for anomalies or intractable objects.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    what if they only popped up when you did a tricorder scan, they'd be visible for oh say 30secs after the scan then go away again.

peter
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    what if they only popped up when you did a tricorder scan, they'd be visible for oh say 30secs after the scan then go away again.

peter

That would be ok.

But I dislike them as much as I disliked the astrometrics lollipop stars we had before in sector view.
    The game looks SO much better without them.
This discussion has been closed.