test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: August 2011 Questions, please!

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    1. Will we see the Kobayashi Maru Test used in the Starfleet Academy Tutorial as a part of graduation from the academy ??

2. Who is in Charge of Starfleet Academy ???
    edited July 2011
    A few of my friends and myself have tossed this between us several times in our weekend PvP meets.

Is there any possibility that will see a free-for-all option/map that will allow everyone to be pitted against everyone?

In regards to the Foundry, will the sharing option be opened up again? This makes community projects easier to work on if they can be shared.
    edited July 2011
    With the inclusion of the holodeck at Star Fleet Academy to access mission logs, will those holo-decks ever be usable to play such missions?

With all of the hype around featured epsidoes, would it be prudent and possibly help the klingon community to have a klingon only featured series? It would give them different game play than feds, and because of the high quality of features, might help in increasing the population of that faction in the game to see the content.

When will ship interiors get a revamp? With all of this new tech and ability to do new things, wouldn't it be prudent to give all the interiors a once over to scale them down and to include a holo-deck, shuttle bay, and more functionality such as crafting, treating injuries, and a tailor?
    edited July 2011
    jam062307 wrote: »
    With all of the hype around featured epsidoes, would it be prudent and possibly help the klingon community to have a klingon only featured series?

Maybe, but I'd expect pigs to fly, world peace to break out, and Duke Nukem Forever to be released first. Err, wait.

Possibly-more-plausible question:

Will any of the Featured Series ever be designed from a primarily KDF perspective and then ported to Starfleet, instead of the other way around?
    edited July 2011
    * Will the new Odyssey-class (Enterprise F) be available with a VA token or by another method?

* Have you considered using Andy Probert's Ambassador-prototype (as now realised by Tobias Richter in the forthcoming Ships of the Line 2011 calendar) as a variant for the eventual in-game regular Ambassador-class? - Links to pics on Doug Drexler's blog:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/sotl-2012-1-of-5-tobias-richter/
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/sotl-2012-7-of-7-%E2%80%93-ships-of-the-line-tech-fold/

Cheers.
    edited July 2011
    I have several questions. Ideally, I'd like all of them answered, but I'll settle for one (or none, since I can't really force anybody to answer any of these).

1. Earlier, I seem to recall a dev mentioning that higher tiered torpedoes would be getting an overhaul to address the fact that they do poor damage for their high skillpoint cost (transphasics especially, given that in canon they were one shot Borg Cube killers). Is there an ETA or status update on this?

2. Is there any chance we can get an option to disable all engine trails?

3. When the Department Heads and First Officer system is rolled out, will we have those officers in their proper chairs on the bridge/main engineering/sick bay?

4. Is there any chance we can get more TNG based costume options (examples: Dr. Crusher's medical coat, Picard's vest from First Contact, uniforms with sleeves rolled up, etc)?

5. Is there any ETA for the existing ship interiors to get a polish update? I seem to recall reading that this was on the agenda somewhere.

6. Any chance that ship models might be made to scale, at least with respect to each other (shuttles seem awfully big compared to my star cruiser's shuttlebay door)?

Thanks!
    edited July 2011
    Is the Fleet UI gonna get some love? For example, adding the ability to sort by @handle, and fixing the bugs with the events (unable to delete or take over events).
    edited July 2011
    There was recently a proposal on introducing tricorders into the game, is this something Cryptic are thinking of implementing?
    edited July 2011
    With the planned additions to our ships' interiors (Botanical Garden, Holodeck, etc.), how would this work for the TOS interior [and the others that are modeled after existing interiors]?
    edited July 2011
    Are you ever going to change the computer warnings like "Ship is under attack"?

Its really annoying (for me anyway) when I fire at an asteroid or something and suddenly the computer is shouting that I'm under attack when I'm actually not.

--

Also, are there plans to allow more than 5 people on an away team? Surely in a tactical situation you would have more than 5 people especially if you were expecting a combat situtation.
    edited July 2011
    Can we get more ships instead of just "skins"? Or at the very least separate the existing ships to be actually individual? Just because two classes are under the same classification doesn't mean the are exactly the same.
    edited July 2011
    Q:

One thing that is considered for future development is "Redesign for Exploration Sectors (and Exploration in general)." Is there any chance that Foundry authors and devs could work together to remaster some of the lackluster exploration and diplomacy grinding?
    edited July 2011
    Talaxians have been listed in the upcoming Playable Races and I was curious if the story of their travel from the Delta Quadrant would be told to explain their inclusion in Star Trek Online? I was thinking this could make a great featured episode as their introduction as a playable race. Yes, I enjoy the Talaxians.
    edited July 2011
    When will we see canon admiral uniforms (particularly ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY) to be added to the game, either as a bundle or included in their respective costume packs? [I mean adding the belt, gold trim to uniform, and for ENT costume for admiral pips to display on both sides, along with tie]

Any chance we'll get to explore Ferenginar or Trill anytime? Updates on Betazed sector?

When will we see more trophies for the accolades we have (e.g. ship kills)?
    edited July 2011
    Why has this last update brought the game to a standstill for alot of us players? (thats us players as a whole,not just U.S. players ;))

Only posting here because no one seems to want to answer any questions about whats happening...
    edited July 2011
    Is there any chance we'll see more customized (or customizable for Foundry) NPC reactions to our Captains?

For example: Maybe you are a Vulcan, so Romulan NPCs in missions are more hostile, maybe you're a Klingon so Klingon NPCs have some choice words, or maybe you're a Liberated Borg and people just don't trust you.

Another tack-on for that would be is there any chance our actions (or maybe traits, etc.) will affect responses?

For example: I choose the diplomatic approach in every mission and uphold the ideals of Starfleet, so Starfleet Command is generally amicable, whereas pirates, Hirogen, etc. don't take me seriously. VS I wipe out all enemies on every map in every mission, I talk back (whenever possible) to superiors and generally make an annoyance of myself, so Starfleet Command acts reluctantly to hand me missions whereas some NPCs will respect my reputation.

Essentially, I'm wondering if/when my actions as a Captain will begin to get me a reputation. At this point, no matter what I do or who I am, everyone always acts the same and I was hoping this might change in the future.
    edited July 2011
    Adding the ability to purchase more inventory and bank space is nice and I like that step. But I ask again what I tried to ask last month: will we ever be able to share items across an account without having to mail them to our alts? Or are we forever stuck sending in-game mail to ourselves whenever we have to send items to an alt we have?

Edit: Alternatively, what's the ETA on fixing most of the given issues with missions not progressing (IE: Emancipation Daily) since the S4 patch hit holodeck? Or that enemy AI mobs on the ground seem to be stronger than they aught to be (killing personal shields in 1 or 2 hits)?
    edited July 2011
    when will we be able to explore the rest of the sol system?
    edited July 2011
    will there ever be anything like different assimilated species (eg caitian, andorian, vulcan etc) or will there at least be borg fx parts for these species weith on c-store or something as costume peices.
    becuase when i was a caitian in season four i was assimilated and i like the appearence result of an assimilated caitiann
    edited July 2011
    With the Borg revamping will the player equipment get looked at? Currently there's a ton of Anti-Proton damage shielding stuff in the Task Force area of Gamma Orionis, but Borg do Plasma damage...making these no more useful versus the Borg than most other shields and armors...

Also, will Lifers get a lifer DOFF with launch of the DOFF system?

Will the Holodecks on the Academy grounds ever let us just launch the mission for our Mission Journal from that location? If so can this be ported to my ship's Holodeck?

You also mentioned that a power to travel to allies directly warping to them is in development. How will this differ from the power that is already been available to Referral Program folks, "A special power to instantly travel to your friend (first 30 days)"?
    edited July 2011
    Voyager235 wrote: »
    when will we be able to explore the rest of the sol system?

Good question and I will like to add 2 of my self for when sol system exploration is possible

1: will we able visit Jupiter station and the Utopia Planetia Fleet Yards?

2: if we can visit them can we also dock with them?
    edited July 2011
    Question: I understand that ship tiers exist to limit the abilities of the ships, and am fully on board with this, after all a Miranda Class with eight phasers would be ridiculous. But would it be possible to remove bridge office tier limits from the ships, and assign them to the characters rank and class structure?

Example: All Tactical Admirals have a base BO level of 1 Commander Tactical, 1 LC Tactical, 1 Lt Science, and 1 Lt Engineering. Then depending on the ship type grant a bonus slot of tac, sci, or eng; Rank dependent on tier of the ship.

Reason: This would extend the playability of all ships, and allow each player to stick with their favorite chassis. It would be kind of nice to see more than just the same four or five ship types running around Borg Space.
    edited July 2011
    • In the previous "ask Cryptic" it was asked and answered that the Wrath of Khan uniforms would have the rank fixed soon. What is the ETA on that and will it include the a fix for the missing belt loop in the back?
    • Will it be possible to have Feds make Distrupter weapons/consoles and Klingon make Phasers via cfrating? As far as I have been able to look, you cannot.
    • Any chance that we could get more bridge packs for the various series? I would love to have the right canon bridge for the ships I am commanding (i.e. Excelsior, Connie refit, NX class)
    • Any more emote options? I noticed there were no eat/drink options for when I was at the 602 at SFA.
    • Pending CBS approval, any chance for other Star Trek actors to be seen and heard? It would be great to have Admiral Chekov or Admiral Riker in the game.
    • Any possiblity of adding a Judge Advocate General mission for diplomacy where you (or an officer under your command) is on trial and you have to prove that you didn't commit the crime? Such as the episode on DS9 "Rules of Engagement" and TOS "Court Martial".
    • Now that we have the Academy, can we have Sisko's as a beam to point? I would love to see it and other iconic places in the future.

Thank you for a promising future.
    edited July 2011
    I love what you did with SFA but now here are my questions

1: will we be someday be able to walk freely trough San Fransisco

2 will there be a day night cycle for all ground based maps and that the cycle follow the local time in which your pc is located
    edited July 2011
    I haven't read all the other posts yet, but...

Can we get an update or some kind of answer regarding the TOS Movie Uniforms (TWoK). WILL we get an insignia update, and WILL we get canon Admiral versions of all the uniforms where such a version is applicable?

I know this can't be that hard to give an answer on, and it can't be too hard to implement. Please do something about this.
    edited July 2011
    When will players who frequent Ker'rat be able to lock onto all the appropriate items. Right now some items cannot be lock onto unless your within 3km instead of the normal under 10. Also when will we stop seeing borg ships in the area melding with other fixed objects making them impossible to target at all even though they can target us.

Thanks

medkit @Jupiter Force
    edited July 2011
    Will it ever be possible for your pet Selat Cubs be upgradeable like the Horta?
    edited July 2011
    will caitians recieve more fur options like patern stripes or leopard spots or somethng
    edited July 2011
    Q: Zoberraz I'd like to ask about what's in store for STO during August. The calendar feels rather bare at present.

Q: Zoberraz what sort of speed, turn and inertia values can we expect from the Odyssey-class? Massive ships tend to have very poor mobility, and I feel this makes them unpleasant to fly; wereas early cruisers are much more fun to handle. Will the Odyssey be more like the Excelsior/KDF battlecruisers, or like the Galaxy-class/KDF Carrier?
    edited July 2011
    When will we finally be seeing the Tholians?
This discussion has been closed.