test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: August 2011 Questions, please!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    1) When can we expect new content?

2) What is the reason we don't have new content?

3) Why are all of Cryptic's games sparse on content?

Sorry if I seem one tracked but I have lots of free time on my hands... having played the lowly 79 fed and 26 Klingon missions now available.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Jhurn22 aka ghost tac officer flying the USS Duantless defiant class retro fit
    I was wondering when can we get helmets in the game and and armor kits for are bridge officers
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Is it ever possible that, in the future, we could use the game as an interactive role-play engine? Put on our own little teleplays?

I'm not talking about walking around a ship and talking to each other and firing off emotes occasionally. I'm talking about something like a highly interactive Foundry mission that takes place in a shared instance similar to a social area and lets players take the parts of actors.

I'd like to see the ability to run something like a scripted role play event as a team. Picture a cast of players on a ship bridge... the person running the event clicks a button and a short space battle cutscene plays for all of the team members linked into that role-play session. When the cutscene ends, the game view goes back to the bridge and the camera shakes for all of the players and we see spark effects coming out of the bridge stations. The players can then role-play their reactions using chat, voice chat, and emotes.

Then suppose that some of the players in the session are able to recostume themselves as Klingons and beam themselves onto the bridge. More acting. Fun for all!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    breakout wrote: »
    1) When can we expect new content?

2) What is the reason we don't have new content?

3) Why are all of Cryptic's games sparse on content?

Sorry if I seem one tracked but I have lots of free time on my hands... having played the lowly 79 fed and 26 Klingon missions now available.

Ditto.

End game content are we ever going to get some??
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    What about introducing the concept of "Electronic Warfare" into game play? I'm talking about being able to receive and act upon information in "real-time" as well as interfering with your opponent's ability to do the same?

Abilities such as Mask Energy Signature and Jam Sensors already simulate this kind of thing to a degree, but I'd like to see more subtle kinds of things as well. Like masking the ship's energy signature to make it look like a different kind of ship on sensors. Or being able to see a threat assessment of how your enemy's ship is configured.

I posted a basic idea about this kind of thing awhile back: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3589033&postcount=1
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Will players ever get the ability to receive new traits, or to improve the ones they have?

With current trait limits, there is no way to build a Vulcan character (for example) that is Logical, has Physical Strength, can Mind Meld and use Nerve Pinch, and also has Acute Senses. Spock had all of these things and probably more.

Our Bridge Officers can get improved traits, but we can't.

It would be nice to be able to feel like your captain is an exceptional person like the major characters in Trek were, but in some respects we're no different from a bridge officer. Maybe even worse.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    1) When are we going to be given the ability to customize the uniforms of our crew?
    2) How close is the new Featured Episode to release?
    3) Why with each patch has there been something else in the game that "breaks"?

4) All the previous Featured Episodes seem to have a few problems now that Season 4 has gone active. Are fixes in the works to be released when the new FE is released as well?

5) Finally: When are we going to get the First Federation included in the game? They are on the map but not reachable.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    You recently gave hint to a new ground set with armor visuals soon to be released. Will these visuals be available to the KDF? And if so, will they have unique themes, or the standard 3 fed colors, red, blue and gold?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    How do you justify completely ignoring a 40+ page thread asking for Rhode Island to be a tier 5 ship and go ahead and throw into tier 2 instead ?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I doubt Cryptic cares, but heres my only request for Ask Cryptic:

When are you guys going to get around to fixing the lameness in Ground PvP?
    • 1-Shot Kills
    • Shotguns being OP
    • Over Healing with Scis's
    • Underbalance of Engineers
    • And of course the Spawn Camping lameness.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In the fan-favorite TNG episode "Cause and Effect", the Enterprise is caught in a temporal casualty loop resulting in its accidental destruction by the USS Bozeman.

Given that the Bozeman (or another, more up-to-date ship with the same name) and its captain, Frasier Crane-- I mean, Morgan Bateson both fought in the Battle of Sector 001 (First Contact), is it at all possible an upcoming Featured Episode may involve them and/or the casualty loop in some way?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Will we ever see a ships consular in the Department Head system that may have a crew moral effect to increase crew recovery rate or have some other passive ability perhaps a telepathic crewmen could open up new dialog. Also will the First Officer of a ship have their own abilities because I'm and engineering captain and am in command of a Cruiser and would love to have the ability to have another commander grade officer with science abilities abilities could you give an example of some of the special abilities a department head could have.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Do you have any plans to perhaps have a featured episode where we meet up with Akharin (TOS: Requiem for Methusalah?) and find out that obviously he tricked Dr McCoy and what he has been upto?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    When will the Duty Officer System hit Tribble?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    One of my female captains uses the 7of 9 costume in black to simulate the skin suits featured in David Weber's Honor Harrington novels. So the bridge officers are suited up when on duty (and away missions). Could we have an equivalent costume for males please?

If you could also add in fitments a harness and a helmet you would have a futuristic space (vac) suit.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Could we have emotes added so my captain can be performing Captain tasks whilst sitting in hs bridge chair or at his desk, things like reading reports on a pad, maybe signing or amending with a stylus ala Captain Kirk?

Could this sort of emote also be set up to loop like the dancing ones so my Captain looks like he is busy running the ship when I visit the bridge?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    What was the reason for making the Rhode Island a T2, or rather a T2.5, that is clearly more powerful then any other ship at that level? Isn't this making the old Nova obsolete for people who are willing to pay to be more powerful and turning everyone else into second class captains?
    This sounds harsh, but I honestly want to know the reason for it. Maybe there is something you have not told us yet, an important piece of the puzzle?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Rhas wrote:
    Will we ever get a Captain on our ships when we reach Admiral rank?

We have a number of star ships on our roster, ones we have out levelled. I have a few thoughts for how they could be utilised
    1. Could we have those ships manned by our Boffs or Doffs and answerable to the admiral in charge (i.e. us). So we can have up to 4 of them supporting us on space combat missions with or without team mates? Effectively becoming ship equivalent in space of the Boffs we have on ground?
    2. Maybe We could allocate runabouts, delta flyers and shuttles as CSP (combat space patrols) to protect our captal ships from enemy fighters, mines or heavy torpedoes. (The opposite of boarding party).
    3. With our small division of ships we could allocate them as per their type (Anti cloak, healer etc) this would then give us a feeling of actually being an Admiral in charge of a small fleet of ships. The NPC captain could be in charge of the ship we are on whilst we organise (and order about) all the ships in the division - including the one we are on.

Seconded!
    It would be great if something like this could be implemented together with the DOFF system.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Will engineering Turrets revive a new update for the borg perhaps one only available in battle group omega to allow frequency remodulators to be applied to turrets because right now their futile against the borg due to adaption.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Will we see the ability to command not only our own starship but perhaps a small 4 ship fleet that could be used by players who do not wish to play STFs with others but solo, as well as making fleet actions far easier when only having a small amount of people each could command other ships in battle amassing a fleet.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Why is the Rhode Island, with it's current layout, a T2 ship? Isn't that clearly pay-to-win? And if we can get it in game, when? We're still waiting for the Oberth console.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Will the TWOK uniforms be fixed soon? Specifically, they need rank pins and a gold trimmed version for admirals. The belt pin could also use a pass to get it to look right. (It would also be great to see some of the decorative elements seen in ST4, 5, and 6 like the chest pin, medals, and the yeoman's cord.)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Can you make the new Borg "Adaption" text graphics that the Borg shows when they have adapted, indicate if it is My weapon or the Turret's weapon a Team Mate's weapon or Friendlie's Weapon or Enemy's weapon that it has adapted to? Preferable with different colors.

White, My weapon needs remodulation.
    Blue, Turret's weapon needs remodulation.
    Green, Friendly's weapon needs remodulation.
    Red, Enemy's weapon needs remodulation.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    This is the longest thread of ask Crytic that I saw, are we going towards an ''Ask Cryptic August -September"'? :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    W-T-Riker wrote:
    Should this treat not be closed by now and we get some answers ?
    W-T-Riker wrote:
    come one close this and give us answers

longer open more Questions= you have more Work or have to ignore more players
    ciprianp wrote: »
    This is the longest thread of ask Crytic that I saw, are we going towards an ''Ask Cryptic August -September"'? :)
    WishStone wrote:
    (By the way folks, Dan will get us an Ask Cryptic, but it will take a few more days. Season 4 was a biggie and we're all still working on recouping. Until then, we'll leave this open so that some more questions can be asked to chose from!

Thanks so much for your patience. :) )
    no ...12345678910
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Any possibility of a tier 5 Akira refit?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In the The Foundry Announcements and Release Notes forums there is a sticky note "Foundry - Roadmap to Future Updates" which dates back to December 2010.

Because there have been numerous updates and lots of work on the foundry, and that roadmap is 8+ months old, could we please have a new one or get that one updated?

Many of us are curious as to what is going on in the short-term and long-term.
    Is there anything to look forward to that isn't a far off long-term goal?
    What are the plans for New Assets? New maps? New features?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    In terms of crafting, will we be able to eventually take items we have and break them down into anomalies of the same tier, receiving a quantity, and possibly a rare anomaly depending on the rarity and value of the item?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    When the Exploration Clusters get re-done, are there any plans to include Foundry "doors" or "hooks" in these regions? They would seem the perfect places to host player-created "strange new worlds".
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I know my questions won't get answered but I'll ask anyway

Early game STFs can we get them?

System space showing all planets in the system like a mini sector space with plottable courses to each planet. This would be a way to open up the sectors, systems and planet maps. It could also add new locations for foundry authors.

Ships made viable at all levels but not all matched to each other. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=224170
This discussion has been closed.