All-Server Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My luck seems to have gone up a bit but I was pretty unlucky too compared to my friends....I don't know how to explain it. D: maybe we should be more optimistic!
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My luck seems to have gone up a bit but I was pretty unlucky too compared to my friends....I don't know how to explain it. D: maybe we should be more optimistic!

That's exactly the issue. It's confirmation bias. You remember fails more so than you remember successes. You also have a habit of remembering the successes of other people more so than their failures. People tend to link successes all the time, but not link every single failure. It's also why the refining simulator seems to be more "lucky" than the game, even though it's not. Simply because you can wipe the slate clean and start anew, thus effectively "forgetting" any previous fails.

I once had someone PM me this long, complicated set of steps on how to "guarantee" no fails that involved going to different elders, using various levels of items, and re-logging several times. Are you kidding me? It's no wonder I can markup items in a catshop for exorbitant amounts and sell. There are just that many dumb people in the game.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, you're pretty right there Decus. Sadly, this is human nature D:
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's exactly the issue. It's confirmation bias. You remember fails more so than you remember successes. You also have a habit of remembering the successes of other people more so than their failures. People tend to link successes all the time, but not link every single failure. It's also why the refining simulator seems to be more "lucky" than the game, even though it's not. Simply because you can wipe the slate clean and start anew, thus effectively "forgetting" any previous fails.

I once had someone PM me this long, complicated set of steps on how to "guarantee" no fails that involved going to different elders, using various levels of items, and re-logging several times. Are you kidding me? It's no wonder I can markup items in a catshop for exorbitant amounts and sell. There are just that many dumb people in the game.

I'm pretty sure failing 10-20 times in a row isn't being biased about being unlucky b:avoid.
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This thread has become far too PWI related, also, we made Decus comment in off topic stuff, go team.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure failing 10-20 times in a row isn't being biased about being unlucky b:avoid.

If you say so. I choose to believe logic n' stuff.
    we made Decus comment in off topic stuff, go team.

Eh, if I can get someone to stop believing in this "luck" nonsense, it was well worth the post.

I was totally lying about my exorbitant catshop prices, though. People should really go buy there. It's so low, it's at cost for me! >:o
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    If you say so. I choose to believe logic n' stuff.

Eh, if I can get someone to stop believing in this "luck" nonsense, it was well worth the post.

I was totally lying about my exorbitant catshop prices, though. People should really go buy there. It's so low, it's at cost for me! >:o

It is within the realm of possibility to fail an obscene amount of times.
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This conversation makes me want to say that, in the game I'm playing, Luck is actually a numeral stat that you increase via leveling certain skills and titles and such, and it effects your chances of exceptional successes as would make sense. :3
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    It is within the realm of possibility to fail an obscene amount of times.

Absolutely, just as it is within the realm of possibility to succeed an obscene number of times. You're missing my point. We, as humans, choose to focus on the negative times and rarely on the positives; yet, the people around us often expose the positives and rarely point out the negatives. That's, by definition, confirmation bias. Thus, while you did fail a great many times, it's just the way it is.

Another pet peeve of mine (not that it has anything to do with you) is people that figure that lots of fails implies many successes in the future. That's another form of idiocy that I just don't understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Absolutely, just as it is within the realm of possibility to succeed an obscene number of times. You're missing my point. We, as humans, choose to focus on the negative times and rarely on the positives; yet, the people around us often expose the positives and rarely point out the negatives. That's, by definition, confirmation bias. Thus, while you did fail a great many times, it's just the way it is.

Another pet peeve of mine (not that it has anything to do with you) is people that figure that lots of fails implies many successes in the future. That's another form of idiocy that I just don't understand.

I can assure you it doesn't. If it did I'd have pulled off full +10 without any refine aids.

It's not the fails or the successes that annoy me the most, it's the successes on the **** things within the fails of the good things. +5'd a **** neck twice while refining my other gear a week or so ago. When I could barely get +3 on my armor. I was being taunted yo.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    I can assure you it doesn't. If it did I'd have pulled off full +10 without any refine aids.

I've not the slightest idea to what you refer with this statement. Either way, I am fairly certain we agree that statistics is king. Personally, I rather like chance games, which is why I adore poker and similar card games.

Now... I shall return to trying my absolute best to avoid this thread like the plague. _/TO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    I've not the slightest idea to what you refer with this statement. Either way, I am fairly certain we agree that statistics is king. Personally, I rather like chance games, which is why I adore poker and similar card games.

Now... I shall return to trying my absolute best to avoid this thread like the plague. _/TO

Toodles
  • FieryBlade - Harshlands
    FieryBlade - Harshlands Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    is it just me or do other people post in this thread for post count
    [SIGPIC]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x102q90/690/fierybladesigna.png[/SIGPIC]

Sig made by me f:sneakyf:despise

I don't have a bad attitude, I just have a personality you don't like
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Man, PWI is all up in my face today. Doing 3-3, Steelation, he goes APS mode 9 times in a row. I'm talking back to back to back, no break between them, while HFing and debuffing my HP while I'm unable to build chi to spark it off. Then finally stops, I do 100k damage, and he camps it twice more for a total of 11 times. Then, I dc. What in the world.

This is not my day.
    edited April 2013
    Woot... leveled... lets see if I can make my avatar 103 now...

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Woot... leveled... lets see if I can make my avatar 103 now...

Grats
    edited April 2013
    Looks like I'm stuck 102 until I ask Hey You to change it

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Okay seriously **** Steelation... spamming HF+HP Debuffs while APS'd.. 3-3 is starting to seem like it's not worth bothering with >.> Hey bruh, I can tank everything you throw at me just stop stalling and die already. Stupid APS. I'm making an R9R3+12 Archer just to kill him.
  • Darvanas - Archosaur
    Darvanas - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks like this game gets pretty interesting at the 90+ levels. I'd better get my thumb out of my butt.
  • FieryBlade - Lothranis
    FieryBlade - Lothranis Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Looks like this game gets pretty interesting at the 90+ levels. I'd better get my thumb out of my butt.

Das sexy
  • Sister_Warui - Raging Tide
    Sister_Warui - Raging Tide Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    16 hour shift yesterday. 12 hours shift tonight. All for my American job that my husband wants me to have. Warui is not amused. Forums. Save me from boredom and actual work!
    Perfect Signature made by Silvy![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RandomSin: Horu your wife is a murderer.
    Horugou: I know, Isn't it great? :D
    Reroll closed thread because necros suck. -Kossy
    edited April 2013
    What is this hellish job? o.o

edited April 2013
    What is this hellish job? o.o

Well...this one is a job I work with Ashley (a American friend who lives with me and my husband) and we are both technically security. But she is the only one who does security work. I am a late shift desk attendant. Most of the people who live here are Chinese and Japanese so they put me on desk for easier translating for them :)

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Das sexy

--d'aw Warui, and you were scolding Zanny for using real names on forums. 3:<
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013

--d'aw Warui, and you were scolding Zanny for using real names on forums. 3:<

Well yes. But Ashley is not a PWI player anymore and does not have a toon in here XD

• Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    o.o real names on forums? is that him calling me Connie? o.o'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
    edited April 2013
    o.o real names on forums? is that him calling me Connie? o.o'

stay out of this Zheii. You are only the main point of part of this D: (mostly I wanted to yell at Zan s bit though) did you know he told me to go die at some point? D: just for having good luck. QQ

• Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stay out of this Zheii. You are only the main point of part of this D: (mostly I wanted to yell at Zan s bit though) did you know he told me to go die at some point? D: just for having good luck. QQ

o,o I honestly have no problem with him calling me Connie, I'm pretty sure three quarters of the Archo server calls me that already xD
    And he was having a bad time, we should just forget he said that to you x'3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.