:( Unable to Update

Comments

• Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Go Through the recent thread in Technical Support Zone you will find your answer this type of issues are disccussed there.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Put an exception in your antivirus. Something with the way this patch modifies the .exe causes a few AVs to label it a Trojan, and auto-delete it.

Placing an exception on the folder where your PWE games are installed should take care of the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • AirronRath - Dreamweaver
    AirronRath - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    :/ too late...im already re-installing. so like, once i reinstall..wil it contain the new stuff already or will i have to try this patch again? i dont want the same thing to happen O.o
  • Elvenhawk - Heavens Tear
    Elvenhawk - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So i downloaded the Manual Patch that someone put on forums which a MOD thanked a person for and it said i had virus which i had to either remove or ignore. This has now deleted the patch from my computer and now i have to reinstall the whole game. WTF PWI how hard is it to make a straighforward update??

Dont suppose anyone has a solution thats not gonna take me 6 hrs to download the whole game again have you??
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yah so I go to update the launcher to the new sirens of war one.....antivirus locks and deletes. So I think ok; mabey sumthin I did. I then uninstall the entire directory and reinstall fresh from website......all gets on ok; then I go to update the launcher again, and again it tried to put a trojan and was locked n deleted. Now I've played for over 3 yrs and have never had it put a trojan file; so I'm kinda wonderin what's goin onb:surrender

$now!!!! Why you no use search ???

Take a look in the tech support forum. It's coming up that way for a lot of people. Running AVG antivirus on your computer?
  • $now - Dreamweaver
    $now - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    you guys aren't understanding; I alrdy have a standing exemption for PW....it has to do with the new update itself; if the launcher gonna put a trojan on my PC, mabey I should flow with the masses and go play ***?
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you use the first link Genotypist posted, that's the entire game all the way up to this new update. So yes you should have all the new stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • XEffy - Dreamweaver
    XEffy - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There's been multiple posts about this already. If you go look in technical support, you'll find out what you need to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Things are not always how they seem
    Will you be ready?
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    First of all its not a trojan your anti-virus failed to recongise it thats the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    you guys aren't understanding; I alrdy have a standing exemption for PW....it has to do with the new update itself; if the launcher gonna put a trojan on my PC, mabey I should flow with the masses and go play ***?

Something else. Did you manually update or use the client?
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    AVG and certain other anti virus programs are flagging the update with a false positive. There is no virus.

Consider the fact that elementclient.exe is a program downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it with the servers however far away from you they may be.

Consider the fact that a trojan virus is a program usually downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it to someplace else however far away from you it may be.

It's easy for a program to mistake something safe (the game) for something malicious (an actual virus)

Now, for the missing patcher, someone uploaded it to drop box so you shouldn't have to reinstall the whole game.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18070441&postcount=23
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
    edited November 2012

It's not a Trojan. It's merely a program that edits the PWI .exe in a way that seems to your AV like a Trojan.

There's a massive difference, but your AV doesn't have the brains to think it out. It bases its decisions on patterns, not whether the source is reputable.

If it were a Trojan, you can't expect PWE to last too much longer when the whole world sues them for infecting their computers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • Jakerubus - Harshlands
    Jakerubus - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yep got the same prob as most im useing bullguard thats picked it up this happend when they updated to age 2 main patch file read as a vir.

just turn your firewall off and antivir off start the patch let it start up and running if your worryed about not being protected just start the firewale and antivir up again patch will continoue updating.

its the auto-run file that gets stuck and trigers the antivir as a false positive.

well it fixed it for me you can see for yourself if you like there no reason for you to manualy download the patch and update that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]may japanise anima live forever

b:victory
  • AirronRath - Dreamweaver
    AirronRath - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    fair enough, i'll add pwi to the exceptions list just to be safe too.
  • $now - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    guys; I'm here for help not trolls attempting to tell me its my software.....if it's to what you broken records keep refering to; I'd of had this problem in the past.
    edited November 2012
    guys; I'm here for help not trolls attempting to tell me its my software.....if it's to what you broken records keep refering to; I'd of had this problem in the past.

... Fine, do what you like. I'm just trying to tell you that I know what I'm talking about. I have worked with computers for over 10 years, messing with them in every conceivable way possible.

This isn't a virus, it's a false positive. Things like that happen sometimes, because the way a file acts fits a profile pre-loaded into the AV.

But if you want to lose out on playing a fun game because of a harmless file being mis-represented, that's your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• $now - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    also I used the auto throu the client; and like I said, it only does it when updating the launcher not the actual game itself
  • $now - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    lol u sir are ****.....like I just said; I've played for over 3 yrs and have NEVER gotten a trojan file when updating.....u've worked with computers for over 10 yrs? yah great; I've worked with em for over 20 so shoo trollb:bye
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    The solution has been already stated above if u don't follow them its simple your anti-virus will keep blocking game and u won't be able play and in the past something like haven't been added there are many stuffs added in this patch thats why all this stuffs are happening around why don't u understand this is a major update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    blacks wrote: »
    idk why your posting your life legacy about your characters..no one gives a **** lol...

Thank you for the amazing input. You the man!!!
    edited November 2012
    AVG and certain other anti virus programs are flagging the update with a false positive. There is no virus.

Consider the fact that elementclient.exe is a program downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it with the servers however far away from you they may be.

Consider the fact that a trojan virus is a program usually downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it to someplace else however far away from you it may be.

It's easy for a program to mistake something safe (the game) for something malicious (an actual virus)

Now, for the missing patcher, someone uploaded it to drop box so you shouldn't have to reinstall the whole game.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18070441&postcount=23

Ive tried this and when i try opening it says the PackDDLL.ddll is missing or sommething like that :(
    edited November 2012
    also I used the auto throu the client; and like I said, it only does it when updating the launcher not the actual game itself

Exactly. It's editing a program that the AV doesn't think it should be editing, so it's throwing up a red flag for you to check it out.

If you didn't know, some Trojans are actually used to install some programs legitimately, because it bypasses a lot of stupid protocols and allows for a faster install.

Granted, very few are used this way, due to the fear that many people succumb to upon hearing the word "Trojan" when related to computers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• $now - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    omg; can you guys not read/understand english? If it was infact the case, this problem would of presented itself during the last update; or the one before; or even the tideborn one duncha think?
  • hiddenmonkey
    hiddenmonkey Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Get a better virus scanner that doesn't suck.

/end thread.
  • Frankenstein - Momaganon
    Frankenstein - Momaganon Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have the Trojan too.

Yes it is possible to tell the AV that they do not take care to the Trojan.

But the biggest problem are new player. If I download a new software and the Antivirus tell me that there is a trojan, I would never start playing this game.

I trust my Anti Virus more then a new software that I download.

So please fix the Trojan problem soon. Thank you. b:thanks
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    It won't be fixed so don't hope for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    I merged these threads, too many of the same topics. It's not hard, people have given great suggestions for this issue, just read and follow.
  • Frankenstein - Momaganon
    Frankenstein - Momaganon Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Get a better virus scanner that doesn't suck.

/end thread.

lol

Since I have the current Virus scanner (approx. 10 years) I had never a problem on my PC.

So this Virus scanner is perfect!
  • Melecha - Dreamweaver
    Melecha - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Always and ALWAYS - disable Anti-Virus software when downloading....b:infuriated
    If you don't trust what you DL enough to disable some cooky AV program, maybe you shouldn't be downloading at all....lmao

Not all AVs are updated when new download programs are....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Maybe the reason is that you downloaded the virus (and FAKE) patch posted by another player? Next time I suggest to only download patches that were uploaded (and linked) by MODs or GMs :)

EDIT: Autoupdate ftw <3
    Genotypist's message on the other thread. :)

Interesting that those two links are the same as the ones posted by other players. b:avoid