:( Unable to Update

Options
CooIGuy - Archosaur
CooIGuy - Archosaur Posts: 103 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Support Desk
i tried to update pwi to newest expansion but every time i do that i get 2 viruses , does anyone else have this problem??b:sad
Post edited by CooIGuy - Archosaur on

Comments

• Enviouz - Lost City
    Enviouz - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    eeeek, oh dear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Snowycookie - Sanctuary
    Snowycookie - Sanctuary Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Maybe the reason is that you downloaded the virus (and FAKE) patch posted by another player? Next time I suggest to only download patches that were uploaded (and linked) by MODs or GMs :)

EDIT: Autoupdate ftw <3
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Nope,You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

DO IT PROBLEM SOLVED ! b:surrender

Edit:This link http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual//ec_patch_670-676.cup is the official expansion manual patch use it u won't have any problem for sure 100% works for me i have already updated my game-client. For Huge Update like Sirens Manual Patch is always recommended it saves your time and doesn't stuck in between
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have played PWI for 3 years now and for every single patch I have used autopatcher. :3 Patches often come late my time or when Im about to go to school so I just leave the game to autopatch itself.
  • AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver
    AlphaOmegaX - Dreamweaver Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I had a virus too, my anti virus removed it ok. But now i have to DL the damn game again cuz it wudnt work and i cudnt update the new patch >.>

My fault for truting summit posted on the forum that was greeted with thanks by a mod. b:irritated
  • Doom_Kitty - Lost City
    Doom_Kitty - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Your not the only one i had the same problem, when i opened the pwi it said to launch update, then imediately it deleted my launcher.exe saying it was a trojan virus, the only way to fix it was to get my friend over skype to send me the launcher.exe again, cos like hell i;ma reinstall the whole friggin game again.. and it worked getting them to send me the launcher so thank god :P you can try this. it worked fine for me b:victory
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You can just try to shut your antivirus, firewall and other stuff like that off while you update. Personally me and sis never had to do that during our PWI journey.. o.o
  • nastybug
    nastybug Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have the same issue... . A virus warning popped and first I tried ignoring it, but even so, it would not allow me to update the client. I tried to reopen it, got same warning so just decided to allow removing the threat. It just messed up the entire game now.... and will probably have to reinstall it.
    Nice one, PWI.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we're experiencing issues with our website. If you're looking to download the manual patches to update to Sirens of War expansion content, please use the following links:

Full:
    http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual//ec_patch_658-676.cup

Incremental:
    http://pwi-ns.perfectworld.com/patches/manual//ec_patch_670-676.cup

Genotypist's message on the other thread. :)
  • gordiasz
    gordiasz Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    same think, i try launch game-> autopatch need to updage -> virus trojan qq
    and now what download game again?? to get another trojan at patching? get fix this PWI, please, because i will not risk play to get robed
  • CooIGuy - Archosaur
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Maybe the reason is that you downloaded the virus (and FAKE) patch posted by another player? Next time I suggest to only download patches that were uploaded (and linked) by MODs or GMs :)

i did it with autopatcher and got the virus
  • CooIGuy - Archosaur
    edited November 2012
    Options
    gordiasz wrote: »
    same think, i try launch game-> autopatch need to updage -> virus trojan qq
    and now what download game again?? to get another trojan at patching? get fix this PWI, please, because i will not risk play to get robed

thats what i got too so dunno what to do... i will wait until seems to be fixed the problem
  • the1catkiller
    the1catkiller Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    1.0 i ahte u pwi for doing this to me b:angry
  • _Agalloch_ - Archosaur
    _Agalloch_ - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You can just try to shut your antivirus, firewall and other stuff like that off while you update. Personally me and sis never had to do that during our PWI journey.. o.o

b:lipcurlwhy would i shut my anti virus and keep the virus on my pc b:question
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    PWI did nothing. It was your AVG that did it. Many users are getting updated without fail, without warnings, and without "virus" pop ups, because there is no virus. The game often brings false positives from twitchy anti virus programs.

And when updating major software, it's a good idea to turn off your firewall so your antivirus doesn't corrupt the update.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ok so seeming the updater was being a right little **** for me I decided to uninstall PWI and see if re-installing it may do it justice. So I go to download it (Keep in mind I'm on google chrome) and you know when you're downloading something on google chrome how it has the pre-installer at the bottom of the screen that you then click to open up to then open the proper installer? well when I go to click it, it comes up with an error message saying "[insert file of PWI installer here] is not a valid installer" or file or something along those lines.
    HELP?!?!? what do I do?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Did you use the link Genotypist posted?

Instead of clicking the "mini installer", try going to chrome://downloads/ and use the Show in Folder option instead. Then use the one inside the folder. If you still get the issue, well...b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I was just using the auto installer, but I will try that, thanks! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    When u guys are download the game why don't u read the instructions given on the download page ? If u don't follow them then don't QQ about the issues you are facing now.b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Options
    When I try the "show in folder" way, it comes up with the same, "C:\User\Nick\Downloads\PWI_EN_v658_Installer (1).exe is not a valid Win32 Application" .-.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rawkjawk
    rawkjawk Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm updating now to see if anything happens as far as any virus being detected. Whats weird is all of the update notes that usually appear in English are now in some foreign language like dutch or french or some ****. Really not sure whats going on. Also im beginning to wonder if something in the patch code is a false positive.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Any other suggestions b:shocked I'd like to get back in-game for TW in the weekend b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reactionist - Dreamweaver
    Reactionist - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options

Omg at the amount of **** going through my mind right now regarding your idiotic comment.

For those who are getting a false positive google how to add an exception to your antivirus and add the patcher found within your perfect world install folder. There is NO virus.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Completely remove your client freshly download the game using Torrent, it is more faster and reliable download the manual patch and update it . Enjoy

Note:You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anatew - Archosaur
    Anatew - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I got too virus warning, only ones thought and it was official patch
    Now i just try to get my game work again.
    But its says that PackDLL.dll file is missing
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Coz your anti-virus ate that file thats why it is always recommended to add PWI files/folder in the anti-virus/security/firewall exception lists, so it doesn't mess up the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gordiasz
    gordiasz Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    well i play in this game over 2 years and always download new patches the same way - autopatcher, and never had problems, now it pop up it with virus so i dont know if it is only anty virus program problem. Specialy when u see that lataly many my friends get robed i try to be guarded to not lost 2 years of hard work on what i have now in game
  • SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear
    SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    For those who are running into an issue where your antivirus has locked the patcher.exe in your virus vault and it needs to be restored (as just happened to me), and restoring it does not appear to make it run, here is a replacement for that file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71145886/patcher.zip

If you extract the file inside this zip and then put the .exe in the "patcher" folder, you should be able to run the autopatcher as normal. It helped me, and it was in the maint thread. Credit to CroPsy for originally posting it and KevinLuv for reposting it over there. Thanks guys, it helped me out a lot.

If you are someone who has the issue I describe, this will mean you won't have to redownload the whole of PWI. Time saving at it's finest! :D
  • $now - Dreamweaver
    $now - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yah so I go to update the launcher to the new sirens of war one.....antivirus locks and deletes. So I think ok; mabey sumthin I did. I then uninstall the entire directory and reinstall fresh from website......all gets on ok; then I go to update the launcher again, and again it tried to put a trojan and was locked n deleted. Now I've played for over 3 yrs and have never had it put a trojan file; so I'm kinda wonderin what's goin onb:surrender
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    edited November 2012
    Options
    gordiasz wrote: »
    well i play in this game over 2 years and always download new patches the same way - autopatcher, and never had problems, now it pop up it with virus so i dont know if it is only anty virus program problem. Specialy when u see that lataly many my friends get robed i try to be guarded to not lost 2 years of hard work on what i have now in game
    Were they fuzzy robes?

Your friends may not be practicing computer safety and poking around in things they should not. The people getting the red flags for the non-existent virus are the minority here. Most seem to be using the program AVG, so it seems the problem is isolated.

Consider the fact that elementclient.exe is a program downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it with the servers however far away from you they may be.

Consider the fact that a trojan virus is a program usually downloaded from the internet that takes information installed on your computer and shares it to someplace else however far away from you it may be.

It's easy for a program to mistake something safe (the game) for something malicious (an actual virus)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]