[Discussion about the new UI]

Comments

• Zeratulus - Sanctuary
    Zeratulus - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    First off, the text linking is obviously an awesome idea and shows that there is some intelligence at PWE.

However, as a programmer myself I have to question your release method. I highly doubt that you release patches without any form of testing what-so-ever, however even a quick look through of the menus would show that the font size is WAY too large. How such an obvious mistake makes it through the testing process is beyond me.

Additionally the new labels by the chat is silly. Outside of perhaps a color-blind audience, the color coding is a much simpler solution. It takes up no extra room and allows easy distinction between the different forms of communication. Not to mention that from a design stand-point the amount of different colors and shapes in the chat window actually makes it stand out MORE than the game interface. Frequently while playing with the new UI I find my eyes being drawn to the chat and it makes staying focused on combat much more difficult. I'm sure some of the initial annoyance will die down over time, but I have to question the attempted fix of something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Zeratulus
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i refuse to play RoM and HOTK because of the chat system designed to be read by 9 year olds now you have put it in this game. keep it for the kiddies in games such as Heros of the three kingdoms beta where it belongs please do not cover this game with more useless BLING and the stupid system announcment in SQAUD causes heaps of issues reading chat comments in battle i love this UI as it was one fof the cleanest NOT ANYMORE! you have a little time to fix or its back to STALKER C.O.P. for me
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • SATII - Lost City
    SATII - Lost City Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Seems to me they help the 0.0001% (1 of a million) of players who like the new UI, but ignore the 99.9999% (the other 999,999) of players that wish other bugs to be fixed (like the magic shell glitch). Seriously, it's been like 3 years. Fix it.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Gamma aprroves, much cleaner and easier to read all text

"Quoted to make a point"
    All I see in World Chat is a bunch of people complaining about how crappy this new UI is and how their eyes are burning, and how now PW is detrimental to health.

I'm pretty sure if you did an in-game poll, the results would not be too far from the results seen here on the forums.

Another one above you likes the new set up.. according to you everyone hates it, but several have said they like it. The world spins, we all have different opinions.. just b/c you and 20 of your friends hate it, don't mean the rest of us have to or we are insignificant.
    Seems to me they help the 0.0001% (1 of a million) of players who like the new UI, but ignore the 99.9999% (the other 999,999) of players that wish other bugs to be fixed (like the magic shell glitch). Seriously, it's been like 3 years. Fix it.

Ok this is something I can agree on. They should be fixing other glitches first. (still waiting on barrage to work right)
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    "Quoted to make a point"

Another one above you likes the new set up.. according to you everyone hates it, but several have said they like it. The world spins, we all have different opinions.. just b/c you and 20 of your friends hate it, don't mean the rest of us have to or we are insignificant.

Ok this is something I can agree on. They should be fixing other glitches first. (still waiting on barrage to work right)

Oh I'm not saying your opinions are insignificant. I acknowledge there's people out there who like it. But take a look around you. Even you can't deny that most of the people here don't like it. Keyword is most. I could quote everybody that stated they don't like it to make my point, but I think you get it.

Thus, wouldn't it make more sense to cater patches and content towards what the majority want, and not what a handful minority desire, at the expense of the majority?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Keyven - Lost City
    Keyven - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It seems to me they're far more intent on upsetting their comunity than ever fixing the bugs and ensuring the quality of the game. This new interface is ill thought out and badly implimented. This sizing is wrong it pulls the eyes the menus in Guild list and Friendlist overlap as do they in the system bars and other things. It strains eyes and alot of people are complaining. When I say alot I mean over 1,000 on lost city and I stopped counting after that. Mainly due to the fact after 20minutes of looking at this 'loverly' new interface on my screen. I get chronic migrains and start throwing up. Which btw in any working enviroment would allow me to sue my employer for hazzards to health. How fortunate I'm not employed by PWE and I'm just a customer. For PWE that is.
  • Thedarkrealm - Lost City
    Thedarkrealm - Lost City Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    if it wasn't for those ugly boxes [World] [Normal] [Team] ect. Then it would be ok but this whole BOI chat box thing is ugly...
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It seems to me they're far more intent on upsetting their comunity than ever fixing the bugs and ensuring the quality of the game. This new interface is ill thought out and badly implimented. This sizing is wrong it pulls the eyes the menus in Guild list and Friendlist overlap as do they in the system bars and other things. It strains eyes and alot of people are complaining. When I say alot I mean over 1,000 on lost city and I stopped counting after that. Mainly due to the fact after 20minutes of looking at this 'loverly' new interface on my screen. I get chronic migrains and start throwing up. Which btw in any working enviroment would allow me to sue my employer for hazzards to health. How fortunate I'm not employed by PWE and I'm just a customer. For PWE that is.

LOL, well said, I agree 100%
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I'm pleased with the item linking, been hoping for that for a while.

The font looks odd. Not terribly so, but i liked the old one better, and the sizing throws of the text in many of the menus.

The chat window..... Please. Change. It. Back. Color coding the chats was simple and to the point. Sticking a large "world" "team" and "guild" in front of them is redundant and annoying, not to mention that most of the tags don't match with what most people use to refer to that particular chat.

That's all. Buh bye now b:bye
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    Quinnie - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    the item linking is nice

the tags of guild, system, normal, etc remove those... the text size is just **** on most things. many changed it back to old font tough it doesnt work for all text but some text sizes might be easier to read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Torhiann - Raging Tide
    Torhiann - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    ... and still no official response as to what if anything is going to be done about it all ........

... and still no official response as to what if anything is going to be done about it all ........
  • Aelric - Lost City
    Aelric - Lost City Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Oh hey i like your post! Large font doesn't make things look tacky pfft! makes it easier to read!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks XRipetidex for the awesome sig!
    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
    -Dr. Seuss
    b:victory
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Darksylph: Really, you dont think this looks tacky & can get annoying to read?
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Oh wow look at the huge text above me. I wonder if any GMs will pay any attention to it.

Hrm, speaking of huge text that hurts peoples eyes...anyone notice how huge the text is all over the screens in game? Anyone else's eyes burning in their eye sockets from looking at it? I know mine are. Maybe the huge font will help all the 87 year olds playing the game read the screens. I know we have a ton of those on game right? Pssh.

Oh! We have to stick stupid tags next to all the text in the chatbox now too? I guess all the 5 year olds in game don't know what the color coding means? I sure didn't know blue meant FACTION or green meant SQUAD. Kind of pointless.

Let's just make the game sooooo annoying that people can't stand to play anymore and quit. That's a great idea! We will make tons of money by pissing off players!

Hrm, well, that was all.
  • Aelric - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    Oh wow look at the huge text above me. I wonder if any GMs will pay any attention to it.

Hrm, speaking of huge text that hurts peoples eyes...anyone notice how huge the text is all over the screens in game? Anyone else's eyes burning in their eye sockets from looking at it? I know mine are. Maybe the huge font will help all the 87 year olds playing the game read the screens. I know we have a ton of those on game right? Pssh.

Oh! We have to stick stupid tags next to all the text in the chatbox now too? I guess all the 5 year olds in game don't know what the color coding means? I sure didn't know blue meant FACTION or green meant SQUAD. Kind of pointless.

Let's just make the game sooooo annoying that people can't stand to play anymore and quit. That's a great idea! We will make tons of money by pissing off players!

Hrm, well, that was all.

Hehe +1 to this B-T-Dubs Imma start posting with this font everywhere :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
    -Dr. Seuss
    edited August 2010

[Forum] Darksylph: The huge font isnt trying to grab the GMs attention. Its trying to call attention to just how stupid everything in game looking like this is. The very thing you said that was burning you eye sockets. (I wasnt sure if you thought we were just bolding to get GM attention or if you understood why we are bolding so big.)
  • /Gohan - Dreamweaver
    /Gohan - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Bartender I'll have what the GM's are having.
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Lol. I knew why you were doing it. I might have to take part too.

LIKE THIS! =D
  • Aelric - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Darksylph: The huge font isnt trying to grab the GMs attention. Its trying to call attention to just how stupid everything in game looking like this is. The very thing you said that was burning you eye sockets. (I wasnt sure if you thought we were just bolding to get GM attention or if you understood why we are bolding so big.)

[Forum] Aelric: I definitely like how you are setting this up lol, I'm gonna steal your design and follow it when posting, but go to the extreme with size 7 font.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Dr. Seuss
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Kitkate: OMG! We should get everyone on the site doing this. See how long it takes them to change it. Would be fun.
  • Aelric - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Kitkate: OMG! We should get everyone on the site doing this. See how long it takes them to change it. Would be fun.

[Forum] Aelric: Most Def!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Dr. Seuss
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    :S has this thread now become a "Who's font is bigger" thread or what??
    Do i win?
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Darksylph: Well i didnt think the game UI change really warranted extreme size 7, its bad, but not that bad.
    :S has this thread now become a "Who's font is bigger" thread or what??
    Do i win?

[Forum] Darksylph: No, because you arent formatted like in game text. Thats the point of the font size & annoying over-length header.
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Kitkate: Yeah I think it has. I'm going to go post in other threads this way and maybe get some more people to do it. It might be annoying but it gets a point across. It's actually a good idea for protest. lol
  • Torhiann - Raging Tide
    edited August 2010

... and still no official response as to WHAT if ANYTHING is going to be done about it all ........
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Kitkate: Yeah I think it has. I'm going to go post in other threads this way and maybe get some more people to do it. It might be annoying but it gets a point across. It's actually a good idea for protest. lol

[FORUM] ViciousMinx Very good idea glad i came an looked think ill edit all my posts to look like this
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Darksylph: No, because you arent formatted like in game text. Thats the point of the font size & annoying over-length header.

[Forum]SugarPrinces:Oooh i get it now, ty for clarifying.
  • Aelric - Lost City
    edited August 2010
    [Forum] Darksylph: Well i didnt think the game UI change really warranted extreme size 7, its bad, but not that bad.

[Forum] Aelric: Well the font is definitely THAT BAD on genies in my opinion and I also hate how fat the have made some things like the character screen and quest log, they are horrible with the new font. Spaces between words and lines in the quest log are really screwed up too. So in my opinion size 7 font works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Dr. Seuss
  • Torhiann - Raging Tide
    edited August 2010
    ... and still no official response as to WHAT if ANYTHING is going to be done about it all ........

• Aelric - Lost City
    edited August 2010

[Forum] Aelric: Well we aren't going to get a response until Monday at the earliest seeing as GMs, mods, and the whole PWE company is off on weekends. (Obviously its waaayy too difficult to log on to the forums on the weekends just for kicks and giggles < i just said kicks and giggles hehe funsies!)

bee-tee-dubs this post has intentionally been edited to portray the horrid UI changes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Dr. Seuss
This discussion has been closed.