[Discussion about the new UI]

Comments

• ElfyPrincess - Heavens Tear
    ElfyPrincess - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It's a matter of opinion, and I happen to like the new font. Also, we both play the game.

I realize that there are a few problems with it, most notably the size of the text in many of the in-game menus, but overall I think it's a step in the right direction.

Also, I realize that those chat-category tags are completely unnecessary to PWI veterans, but I think they're pretty helpful to new players. They do take up a fair amount of horizontal space, though, I'll admit.

You got it guys? GM likes the new font and we are moving to the right direction. Wish to you all a supersized monitors and large resolutions. And no need to say that someone cares what we want.. So sad..
  • Neko_Natsume - Heavens Tear
    Neko_Natsume - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    So then stop being so ignorant and give us the option to ****ing turn off the icons??

+1

/10char
  • SugarPrinces - Sanctuary
    SugarPrinces - Sanctuary Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i do not however see any reason to freak out on frankie, she has no direct line to the devs to say "hey fix this before we have a riot on our hands" or anything, her job is to moderate the forums, and occasionally pop in-game and moderate there, i think about the best she can do for us from here is shoot en email to a different department, which i'm sure has already been done, and await any form of response if any.. i've worked for years in tehnical support departments for various companies, including online chat support, we had no control what so ever over what the actual technicians did, we just passed on a message to a long que.. I agree the changes suck, especially the genie page glitches, but its not like the game is totally unplayable, just looks like it was coded by a first-year html programmer that hasnt learned the difference between heading1 and heading4..
  • whitestarrose
    whitestarrose Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    The link thing is a step forward, i like it very much b:thanks but the font is just horrendous. The chat box looks very cluttered and actually ended up giving me a headache b:sad. Please please change the font back to how it was. I noticed a few other people mention the lag.....it nearly killed me a few times last night. b:cry
  • X_Diogenes_x - Sanctuary
    X_Diogenes_x - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It's a matter of opinion, and I happen to like the new font. Also, we both play the game.

I realize that there are a few problems with it, most notably the size of the text in many of the in-game menus, but overall I think it's a step in the right direction.

Also, I realize that those chat-category tags are completely unnecessary to PWI veterans, but I think they're pretty helpful to new players. They do take up a fair amount of horizontal space, though, I'll admit.

When I first played PWI, one of the many things I loved about the game was the UI. It was so easy to read, didn't interfere with the game and didn't make you have to stop focusing on what you're doing in game to be able to decipher the chat. I think it's actually the only UI I've really, really liked in any game I've played.

When JD was released, I downloaded it just to see how it was. Think I lasted a day or two there. Putting aside the actual content of the game, the chat on JD seemed all over the place to me. It was messy, unnecessarily cluttered and harder to get the hang of. It also seemed too...cartoony, which to me implied the game was intended for a younger audience.

I don't see the chat tags being helpful to newer players unless they're expected to not actually play the game to see how different things work. They clutter up the chat box, giving you less space for actual, you know, chatting. If there was any confusion about what the chat channels were, you could pass your cursor over the channel icons to see the names or select from the list to the left of the chat box. It's something you get used to really quickly, just by playing the game.

If the character names weren't changed to that beige colour, the tags wouldn't be necessary. Those who are saying they were tired of trying to figure out whether someone was pretending to chat as someone else - it's always been a simple thing to pass your cursor over the name in chat and if it isn't clickable, know that the person above has typed it. Actually my faction and friends have had a lot of good-natured fun with that in the past and I'm sad to see that go.

The previous UI was user-friendly and simple without being in-your-face, distracting and bugged. I can't say that about the new one.

After all the opinions already posted, I just...don't know what to say...except that I guess this post will be falling on deaf ears.
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    Brishi - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    So they have still not fixed the size on text/numbers?

I cant play this game i be sick after only 10 min, get headache.
    Plz Gm/devs fix this.

I buy some gold for only a few days ago and now i cant play the game b:shedtear

If you dont fix it i want my money back b:angry
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2010

New players aren't stupid. When they type in normal chat, they say "Oh look it's grey". When they type in guild chat, they say "Oh look it's blue". When they type in squad chat, they say "Oh look it's green". When they see a system message they say "Oh look it's red". That naturally leaves by elimination, yellow to be world chats.

It's not rocket science. We're not 4 year olds playing a game. What was the age requirement for your game again? Like 16? 18? People can learn through positive and negative reinforcement by that age. Most people have the cognitive abilities to discern which chat is which within the first half an hour of their play.

Simply observed, was there ever any complaints about newbies not knowing which chat is which? I've never observed any thread or suggestion like that here in one year of playing. I don't know about tickets, but I'd wager, if not none, then at least very very minimal.

Chat tags are just complete and utter overkill. User interfaces are supposed to be simple and elegant. You have eliminated that.

The only thing I'd say that was a step in the right direction was the item-linking. Props on that. Everything else, in my opinion, was atrocious. Very unprofessional.

Check out the 37 pages of opinions. Check out the tickets you recently got. You might be surprised that while it's a "matter of opinion", very few people share the same opinion as you do.

edit: Someone suggested that the chat system was entirely lifted off BOI and implemented here without change. If this is correct, I'm at a loss for words. And of course, I can expect you to say it wasn't Frankie, but there's enough skepticism circulating to keep me in reality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    Chatt window is not the worst thing. Its the huge diffrent on size of text and numbers that is the problem. Charms numbers is smalll geni numbers is big, health numbers is big, pets lvl numbers is small and if you run pwi in window and switch to this forum you get headache b:angry

+ mirages price have crash :/, before patch they cost 15-18k on dw, now people sell them for 12-10k lol
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    + mirages price have crash :/, before patch they cost 15-18k on dw, now people sell them for 12-10k lol

On Sanct mirages have been 11k for quite a long already. You can set up a shop buying mirages for 10.4k and people actually sell those to you.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    As others have written before:
    1. I like the linking.
    2. Tags and font-changes in UI were uncalled for from my point of view.

(If the number of replies is a measure of changing this font/UI back, I did my part.)

Btw:

"If it aint broken dont fix it." (uttered by one of the actors in the movie Soldier with Curt Russell).
    I love that simple but direct line....
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • Torhiann - Raging Tide
    Torhiann - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    filter circumvention of the highest order - frankieraye

And still no answer on what is being done about oversize fonts, broken UI windows etc. etc. etc.

b:shutupb:shutupb:shutupb:shutup
  • Brishi - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2010
    On game updates they say that they going to wait a week or 2 and c how things turn out. But if they do it now, they going to lose much players.
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited August 2010

No offense, you may be a GM but I don't think your one vote offsets the growing majority and if you think it does thats pretty chauvinistic of you.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Once again, I tl;dr the remaining pages until...

Again, if you guys at the company want to keep the tags, simply make them an option. This way we can all be happy... I think.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    No offense, you may be a GM but I don't think your one vote offsets the growing majority and if you think it does thats pretty chauvinistic of you.

Dev: I don't think adding the labels is such a good idea.
    Project Manager: ADD IT NAO!
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited August 2010

There are 6 colors, 2 of which nobody really uses... When a new player starts the game, that makes 3 really available. White for common, Green for squad, Yellow for world chat.

By the time they really start advancing in the game to be able to use world chat, get into a faction, and forming parties for quests, they will have been able to figure out these simple 6 colors.
  • Gaho - Sanctuary
    Gaho - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Again, if you guys at the company want to keep the tags, simply make them an option. This way we can all be happy... I think.

TBH I think all the font changes that they've made should be optional. Some people like the new fonts however I can't even play now because they give me migranes and I have to set my resolution so high just to make them readable that I can't see anything else.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    There are 6 colors, 2 of which nobody really uses... When a new player starts the game, that makes 3 really available. White for common, Green for squad, Yellow for world chat.

By the time they really start advancing in the game to be able to use world chat, get into a faction, and forming parties for quests, they will have been able to figure out these simple 6 colors.

Also, when I was a noob back in '08, the biggest problem was how to write in those colors. If some noob reads the "World" tag but doesn't know how to write to that chat, how does it help him? I know plenty of ways to make it better, but instead, I hope those are removed.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    It's a matter of opinion, and I happen to like the new font.

ah, so you're one of those untrustworthy so-and-so's who claim to like Comic Sans, i see. b:scorn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear
    Summer_Blush - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited August 2010

Frankie Frankie Frankie...

your part of a company who makes products for your customers, your opinion on weather you like something or not is always invalid, its the voices of the customers that are the valid opinions that you should be listening to and seeking to ease; not your own, Companies don't sell products by making it "Their" dream product.

in short your opinion on this means nothing, its all these people who actually "play" the game day in day out for what its worth who matter.

i like the new font on the item stats hover window, but every other text box etc should be reverted back to the old font, the linking is cool and the ability to move the chat box about etc. the guild,world etc chat type boxes are hellish annoying and need to be given an option at least to be able to turned off, you seem to be implying that everyone who plays this game has a special needs issue. but overall i preferred the old UI because this one just gives me a headache and looks stretched

please restore some faith into the players of this game by listening to their voices and not your own...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aelric - Lost City
    Aelric - Lost City Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I hate it. We are back to the old PW text that didn't fit in the areas that its supposed to, its waaay too large on some things, and too kiddish.

Plus, the chat... WORST IDEA EVER! I completely despise the new chat box.

EDIT: Would be nice to be able to customize the UI ourselves, like sliders for font size, and a couple choices of font. Also, be able to move the mini map, character picture, quest log tracking, party members, and chat box around so that we can put them where ever we want. (include a slider to scale the size of the entire UI also, so that if you want you can make everything larger or smaller)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks XRipetidex for the awesome sig!
    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
    -Dr. Seuss
    b:victory
  • Fistus - Harshlands
    Fistus - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I like all of the changes to the UI except for one. The boxes in chat that tell you which type need to go away. I know they are for the color blind; so I could settle for an option that lets me turn them off. I really, really hate them.

The text changes are amazing. So much easier to see numbers and words now.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Until now I refrained from posting since everyone seemed to be saying what I was thinking. But then I thought, what if it takes 40 pages of irate users before they change anything?

Seriously. The large print is painful; harder to read because it doesn't even fit in the windows and overlaps. "Auction Item Sold" has just become "Auction Item" in the mailbox now... this doesn't seem to have been planned very well. I could probably play the game without my contacts for some things now.

I accidentally got a large-print version of a book out of the library once. Tried to read it because I didn't want to go all the way back and get the right one... but I couldn't handle it. This is no different. If *you* guys like it so much, then just give us the option to change it back if we want to.

And the chat tags. I guess... the game has been playing for this long but you have decided we are too stupid to decipher chat now? When I first started (as someone previously posted) my biggest problem was how to post in various chats, not what they meant. All these labels do is take up unnecessary space.

What it comes down to is this: if you like the changes so much just give us options to TURN THEM OFF. Then everyone is happy.

I do have to say though - thanks for the linking system. Very nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • tidesuxbadly
    tidesuxbadly Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That can't be possibly Right..... The Text is so Big that It looks like a mistake of programing and it does even more because it GOES OUT OF THE BOXES that are there to 'hold' it INSIDE so it even looks like a programing work of Noobies not of pros like it is right now ... so it's not just a a matter of cosmetics or opinions like you say..

I have worked on some programs and If I create a box to hold a text , a description a name whatever , that text has by all means to stay inside , because if it goes out of the box or even touches box or other text it's considered a work of a noob and even looks just so bad that it's even etically wrong to even try to release such bad piece of work untill you fix it.

You know what i think happened? In my experience I think the devs worked all around a certain font that only they had on their computers at that time so it looked good at their end, but at release time they didnt included the font and we as users dont have the font so it goes to Arial but still takes the size and place of the original font so we end up with a crappy crappy product... Otherwise I dont really understand how one could dare release this update full aware of the text problem.
  • Aelric - Lost City
    Aelric - Lost City Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    That can't be possibly Right..... The Text is so Big that It looks like a mistake of programing and it does even more because it GOES OUT OF THE BOXES that are there to 'hold' it INSIDE so it even looks like a programing work of Noobies not of pros like it is right now ... so it's not just a a matter of cosmetics or opinions like you say..

Yeah all it really does is make the game look and feel really crappy and low quality. ijs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks XRipetidex for the awesome sig!
    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
    -Dr. Seuss
    b:victory
  • Ranfa - Dreamweaver
    Ranfa - Dreamweaver Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2010

All of us were "new players" at one point and had to get used to tag-less chat window.
    How many complaints have you seen about the chat window before this patch? Nobody complained because it was easy enough to get used to. Heck when I started playing this game I just played around with the different chat boxes and got the gesture of it in few minutes. Color coding is a built in function of a healthy human brain. Even a toddler will get it. So what makes you think new players will need guidance to such obvious feature?

How about this; instead of us telling you what is wrong with the new UI, you tell us what was wrong with the old one. If this is a "step in the right direction" as you put it, there must have been something wrong with the old one right?
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited August 2010

I was a new player once.. To be completely honest, as soon as I looked at the chat box and scrolled over the names of the channels, clicked on them and saw what showed up in them, I got it. Its not that hard. And PW was literally my very first MMO ever. We're not that dumb. The only thing I didn't get at that time was that you needed a tele to talk in the world chat. But I figured that out when I hit level 10, though I still didn't realize what teles were at the time. Color coding is perfectly fine for nooblings, as I prove myself. I'm not exactly the brightest crayon in the box but I got it. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited August 2010

I agree, I love the new update. It needs tweaking but its great! I even like the tags. Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else. You can't always please the masses. Overall, I think it was a very nice update and I'm pleased. Other than the fact it did mess up a few things (which always happens) its one of the best updates in awhile.

People forget, we didn't ask for hyper stones, new fashion or other new things we continue to get but no one complains about that really. A month from now we'll all be adjusted and it will be no big deal.. except of course the things that they messed up like the genie energy bar and the text. They fix that and its great!
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    I agree, I love the new update. It needs tweaking but its great! I even like the tags. Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else. You can't always please the masses. Overall, I think it was a very nice update and I'm pleased. Other than the fact it did mess up a few things (which always happens) its one of the best updates in awhile.

People forget, we didn't ask for hyper stones, new fashion or other new things we continue to get but no one complains about that really. A month from now we'll all be adjusted and it will be no big deal.. except of course the things that they messed up like the genie energy bar and the text. They fix that and its great!

Look around. How many people actually like the tags? I count one...two. You and frankie. In relation to those who hate it, the amount that actually likes it is so miniscule, it shouldn't even be a debate.

If PWI was smart, they'd know what to fix in the next patch.

Also, yes, they did mess up a few things. HOWEVER, this should not happen. Patches are supposed to be tested before they're released. We should not be making making threads about new bugs every time a patch is released. Granted we're all humans and make mistakes, it shouldn't be a norm for bug-riddled patches to be released. The sheer ugliness of the UI is a testament to a lack of quality control on PWI's part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElfyPrincess - Heavens Tear
    ElfyPrincess - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    How about this; instead of us telling you what is wrong with the new UI, you tell us what was wrong with the old one. If this is a "step in the right direction" as you put it, there must have been something wrong with the old one right?

Jesus, this sentence should be gold framed. Im totally 100% agree with it. I really cant get how can someone like this new, blurry, disgusting font instead of old one. People PLEASE go have a look at tittles on catshop heads at West Arch. After 10 seconds of watching them, put your eye on the chat. Can you still say that this new font is cleaner lol? It's blurry.. not that crisp and nicely looking as old one...
This discussion has been closed.