My "Age" ranting...

Comments

• Ugla - Harshlands
    Ugla - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    That doesn't work. You're basically asking anyone with stricter standards than yours to stop participating in society. You can't do that if you want society to function. You have to try to figure out a way for people of different opinions to coexist.

From a MMO game developer's standpoint, either extreme is bad. If you allow all profanity, you lose out on the large population of players who will only tolerate profanity up to a point. If you ban all profanity, you lose out on the large population of players who believe some freedom of expression is necessary. A MMO game has to strike a balance, allowing a moderate degree of freedom of expression, but keeping profanity enough in check so it doesn't drive too many customers away.

Filters go a long way towards this goal. A month ago I would've segued into a mini-rant about the lack of customizable filters in this game. But since they gave us customizable keyboard mappings, I'll just say I'm hopeful they'll make the filters customizable too.

Thing is, it's not your place to decide that 14 is the magical age. Legally, in most countries, until the kid is 18, it's the parents' decision what does and doesn't constitute insulting monitoring or excessive restrictions. Some parents are lax. Others are strict. That's just The Way Things Are.

If you attempt to deluge the kids in the profanity the parents are trying to protect them from, just because you disagree with the parents, well then that makes you a self-important ****. The choice of how to raise their kids is theirs, not yours. If you disagree with it, either debate it with them and try to change their minds in a mature way. Or go make your own kids and bring them up whatever way you want.

Personally, I never understood why some people feel the need to swear every other word. IMHO shocking words need to be used sparingly to preserve their shock value. If you use them all the time, they lose their shock value and you just sound like an uncouth neanderthal.

It's kinda like what the music studios are doing to the dynamic range of CDs in the so-called loudness wars. By making the average volume of CDs louder, they're giving up a lot of dynamic range and expressiveness that's possible with music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Same thing goes for speech. If you swear all the time, people who are frequently around you just learn to tune it out, and you're losing a lot of the expressiveness that's possible with language. I rarely swear, but when I do, people who know me know that there must've been a damn good reason why I swore.

Have to quote this because it is a thoughtful, measured opinion. The key here is compromise and most of the people in this thread are posting from the extreme ends of the spectrum.

A little respect, from BOTH sides, goes a long way.
  • FootStep - Sanctuary
    FootStep - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    OMG I loled

Yes being a child 20-25 years ago was totally differant..... it was harder.

Life for 80% of kids nowadays is easy, ps3's, xboxes, mobile phones, comps, money from parents etc etc etc.

(Yes due to their circumstances some kids have it hard, but thats always been the case).

I don't really feel you have any authority to say that life as a 'kid' nowadays is easy, simply because you don't know what it's like. The things listed there don't necessarily make life easier, just different.

Play where your comfortable, if you don't like a situation, leave it or if you're there and within your rights, have the person you're in dissagreement with leave.
    Or try and talk things out with them and maybe comprimise. Idk, idk, just an idea.
  • Mistimancer - Heavens Tear
    Mistimancer - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I am 37...

Up till I was 18 (other than work reason) I had to be home at 10 pm...
    Even during summer...

The "worst" thing I did when I was a kid:

Took 25 cents from my mom stash of coins to pay the road tolls to buy sunflower seeds.. felt so bad that I told her and repaid her the double hahaha
    And, second worst thing I did was to take the garbage from one entrance and move them to another entrance... I felt so bad that I told my parents... even though they knew it was not really "BAD" there was no garbage bin was only the bags.... and the neighbours almost laugh... my parents made sure I went to the neighbours and said sorry... just so I would learn my lesson....
    One night after work, I missed the last bus, there was no cell in these days,and I had no quarters to call my parents.. so I walked back home.. arrived 1 hour late... the cops were already called... my parents made me call back the police station to tell them I was back and sorry for worrying them... ok the cops laugh at the other end of the line.. but lemme tell ya.. I always made sure I had a quarter in my pocket after to call my parents if I was late :)
    Even if we had alot of different views and alot of confrontation, I never yelled at my parents.. always tried to discuss with them... even if I had alot of time out and alot of things/events removed from me.... I had respect for them...
    We had a huge age difference.... they had problem adapt to my generation... they even had trouble adapt to my 2 older brother generation.. and I have 8 and 11 years difference with them...
    Had to stay at the table until everybody had finish..
    Yes they were strict.. and a lil close minded when it was regarding our behavior and education etc...

But my parents always proned tolerance towards others.. including races, handicap, lifestyle etc... They also teached me to think before talking, to try to settled things in a courtous way as much as possible... but if things were dangerous and very not right for me.. to not be afraid to take action.

That's the way I been raised.. and it showed me respect... And even today, I rarely swear.. 1st: not in front of my daughter or any kid... 2nd: adults that knows me.. definatly knows that something is very wrong....
    Many of my friends comes from different backgrounds and some are "different" don't like the word handicap :)... My own daughter has Autism and ADHD and I meet alot of what could seem "weird" people, but I help them as much as I can...

I had my "rebellious days" when I was in my 20's.. but I never hurt somebody with my words or remarks intentionnaly.. even in my rebellious behaviors and actions... I couldn't forget what my parents thought me :)

With my daughter, due to her autism.. I try to be very careful of what she sees on TV or read.. as per she has trouble with understanding what is right or wrong.. and what is real or not etc...
    But I will try to not shelter her as much as my parents did.. if ever her autism settles.... But I will make sure she learn respect.. that's for sure :)

Anyway.. it was long I know.... sorry :)

Again this thread is not really just regarding parents trying to protect their teenagers/kids.. it's also to have respect to others.. no matter what the age group is..

If I see alot of swear in FC/WC... it's relatively ok with me.. but like I said in previous post... when it comes to races... wrong sexual behavior... or very vulgar talking... it simply shows no respect to the general people and even less to these races.. or like I said.. wil still hurt and bring bad memories to somebody that would have been abuse or ***** .. when we see in CAPITAL stuff like... I R.PED HER and SHE LOVED IT.... am sorry.. but seeing that in WC/FC is just wrong... do you really think that somebody that went through that would appreciate these comments??? NO.. even if it's said as a joke... to some people... this will never be a joke... and will hurt them forever...

Just think before talking.. think about respect..and think about if what you could say in WC could hurt or offend somebody... if you wanna be rude and vulgar and obscene... form a chat.. a squad.. a faction for it... just don't do it in WC or in a faction that has a policy to respect others and have "rated PG" chat in the faction...

ok that's all..... I wrote way too much ROFL
  • Crabby_Jack - Sanctuary
    Crabby_Jack - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I run my own 18+ Faction and chat can at times get colourful, but there are lines that should NEVER be crossed (ie: being sexist,racist) and if they are crossed I will politely tell people to stop.

It has nothing to do with being a prude or maybe trying to protect "teh kids" in your factions, its about having respect for others of any age.

I agree with you on this! About people leaving their mouths SHUT, rather than having them to come into a game (or online, or anywhere, for that matter) and make the racist and sexist, etc. comments. Not cool guys!

But I also think that people who come in here QQing about the "too revealing" artist pictures, (oh for crying out loud, they are MERMAIDS; get a grip!), and the "too revealing" character's outfits, (oh wait, that was never mentioned, lol. Personally I don't have a problem with any of the art/costumes; it's awesome), and that they're offended 'cause they have a 9-year old playing in here who might "accidentally" see them, or that there might be swear words used in game (yep, there are; but don't run away just yet), or something along those lines, and expecting the developers to change everything to please them, YOU are living in La-La Land! (I mean the imaginary "goody-two-shoes" world, apparently in your head, and wasn't referring to Los Angeles, lol).

If you don't like the way this game (and all the MMORPG's, I have ever seen) are set up and played, then get out! Don't play! Go play kick-ball in your yard with your children, or take them hiking, or play Monopoly or something with them. It will give you all a fun time, and then you don't have to worry that their little psyche's are "offended". More like it, the fact that you don't have to worry that YOUR prudish little psyche is offended.

While I don't condone sexist, or racist, or overly rude behavior in the games, this is a different matter, and one which speaks to your personally chosen "ideal" of what is, and what is not, considered offensive behavior. There are general community standards of acceptable behavior in any community, (which also changes within each area of that community). FYI: PWI is also a community of people, and even though it's online, there are real people playing each and every one of the characters in here.

My point being: If you are so easily offended......GO AWAY! Stop bothering the people who DO like this game! Stop bothering the GM's, the Mods, the Devs, and any of the other people who put this interesting and fun game together! Stop whining and GO HOME!
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I think the warning sign on the bottom of PWI homepage should be enough for parents to decide:

TEEN
    Fantasy Violence
    Suggestive themes

If you have a problem with that considering your childs age, you know this is not for you. That is what warning signs are for. You can expect the RPG to reflect the general theme in chat.
    The game has an autocensor for most of the nasty stuff.
    I think for most players it's not about their kids, (if you don't want to expose them to this then turn off the computer), but more about the annoyance all the profanity gives when you just want to communicate during the game.
    Pages of chat filled with name calling, exclamations and harrasments (mostly in CAPS) dont help squad/faction communication and just distract from the information you need to get.

However there will always be people who like to wage their own crusade against anything they think is inappropriate,... makes them feel good I guess.

Remember the game has a close function and the computer has an off-button too.

It is fantasy violence and suggestive themes, however; no where in that do I see make out sessions, repulsive racism, vulgar sexual acts listed in your world chat, jokes about sexual orientation, all out curse sessions available or any other thing that is against the TERMS OF SERVICE pointed out by this game.

There is a difference in being a lil prude and being totally lewd. There needs to be a balance. 50 years ago this kind of behavior would have had strict consequences, you'd have been shunned from your peers and your parents. Now its the normal.

So because its now apparently socially acceptable, where do we stop? Because the racists, murders, and rapists in prison feel their crimes were socially acceptable as well. When do we stop adapting to what people justify as "the norm" or something we should "get over"? When is enough enough?
    I agree with you on this! About people leaving their mouths SHUT, rather than having them to come into a game (or online, or anywhere, for that matter) and make the racist and sexist, etc. comments. Not cool guys!

But I also think that people who come in here QQing about the "too revealing" artist pictures, (oh for crying out loud, they are MERMAIDS; get a grip!), and the "too revealing" character's outfits, (oh wait, that was never mentioned, lol. Personally I don't have a problem with any of the art/costumes; it's awesome), and that they're offended 'cause they have a 9-year old playing in here who might "accidentally" see them, or that there might be swear words used in game (yep, there are; but don't run away just yet), or something along those lines, and expecting the developers to change everything to please them, YOU are living in La-La Land! (I mean the imaginary "goody-two-shoes" world, apparently in your head, and wasn't referring to Los Angeles, lol).

If you don't like the way this game (and all the MMORPG's, I have ever seen) are set up and played, then get out! Don't play! Go play kick-ball in your yard with your children, or take them hiking, or play Monopoly or something with them. It will give you all a fun time, and then you don't have to worry that their little psyche's are "offended". More like it, the fact that you don't have to worry that YOUR prudish little psyche is offended.

While I don't condone sexist, or racist, or overly rude behavior in the games, this is a different matter, and one which speaks to your personally chosen "ideal" of what is, and what is not, considered offensive behavior. There are general community standards of acceptable behavior in any community, (which also changes within each area of that community). FYI: PWI is also a community of people, and even though it's online, there are real people playing each and every one of the characters in here.

My point being: If you are so easily offended......GO AWAY! Stop bothering the people who DO like this game! Stop bothering the GM's, the Mods, the Devs, and any of the other people who put this interesting and fun game together! Stop whining and GO HOME!

So where should we stop being offended? Should everything be acceptable? If you want to murder someone should we as society accept that as well? Actually I'm more bothered that people think its OK to behave in the manners as I've described above than I am by the fact that they actually do it. A little cursing is one thing, but having sexual acts spelled out in front of us is no different than watching explicit adult videos. If I wanted to watch them, I wouldn't be on an MMO. BTW, the GM's and Mod's aren't bothered, they are doing their job. Their Job is to enforce the terms of service you agreed to when you made an account here, no matter what is or is not socially accepted; you agreed to a certain TOS which has NOT been changed.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    So many teenagers in this thread complaining about parents controlling them, lol.

b:chuckleexept me...

not gona say anything more since it would be trollingb:cute

did i just say that -.-?

...and @ above... lol
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It is fantasy violence and suggestive themes, however; no where in that do I see make out sessions, repulsive racism, vulgar sexual acts listed in your world chat, jokes about sexual orientation, all out curse sessions available or any other thing that is against the TERMS OF SERVICE pointed out by this game.

There is a difference in being a lil prude and being totally lewd. There needs to be a balance. 50 years ago this kind of behavior would have had strict consequences, you'd have been shunned from your peers and your parents. Now its the normal.

So because its now apparently socially acceptable, where do we stop? Because the racists, murders, and rapists in prison feel their crimes were socially acceptable as well. When do we stop adapting to what people justify as "the norm" or something we should "get over"? When is enough enough?

So where should we stop being offended? Should everything be acceptable? If you want to murder someone should we as society accept that as well? Actually I'm more bothered that people think its OK to behave in the manners as I've described above than I am by the fact that they actually do it. A little cursing is one thing, but having sexual acts spelled out in front of us is no different than watching explicit adult videos. If I wanted to watch them, I wouldn't be on an MMO. BTW, the GM's and Mod's aren't bothered, they are doing their job. Their Job is to enforce the terms of service you agreed to when you made an account here, no matter what is or is not socially accepted; you agreed to a certain TOS which has NOT been changed.

Oh wow youre overblowing it all.
    Ive never seen any "secual acts spelled out in front of me" on world chat. Occasionally I see 'tards thinking theyre perfect world celebrities on world chat saying things like I LOVE YOU every 3 minutes. Ive seen one racist joke (somethin along the lines of "shes probably a white girl anyway").
    Anyway, people saying "I LOVE YOU" in world chat is in every single over-cliche, wannabe romantic comedy movie out there.
    Remember, there IS a difference between how people act on the internet and in real life.
    Yes, 50 years ago it would be "shunned-from-parents-worthy" but remember times have changed.
    This was my previous post
    You "adults" dont know what life is like when youre a kid. Sure you might think about the time when you were a kid but im guessing that life 20-25 years ago as a child is totally different.
    I love how all the "adults" are acting as if they know everything about a childs life and mind.
    Yeah, Im 14.
    And everytime I see self-righteous, narrow minded people say things like this I laugh.
    TBH Ive never gotten seriously offended (seriously offended meaning how offended you guys get) playing any game on the net, including when people post racist jokes/remarks about my country =) Its what OTHER people think, maybe im just too cynical or maybe everyone else is just really easily offended.

Basically what Im saying is that it doesnt affect the "children" as much as you people think it does.

Theres a MASSIVE difference between swearing and murdering, sheesh.

And uh...Colour alone doesnt make people read your posts. Make it bigger as well and people wont skip past your post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    society is screwed up, nuff said.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    Ixiel - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    What I'm curious about is why people are under this notion that age determines maturity. :/

I've seen 14-year-olds who know not to use foul language and dirty jokes when it's not appropriate. I also see 30-year-olds busting out racist jokes like they're presenting the news.
    A B and C, abandoned but controlled.
    M can't you see? Half of me was sold.
    X Y and Z, Xerox your zombies then
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Wrathfulsynn - Heavens Tear
    Wrathfulsynn - Heavens Tear Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Oh, the maturity factor. Sadly, maturity standards have changed, as of late. Example, playing this game would not be something a mature person would do. So, we have to go with being mature compared to the next gamer. I have seen a 14 year old from Germany act far more maturely than a 23 year old from the US. I have seen those claiming to be very old and mature to be as petulant and annoying as a teen going through puberty. I've even seen it in the work place. A 23 year old can be just as mature as a 35 year old. Thank you society, for placing importance on areas other than maturity.

Personally, I see myself as more mature than my father. I haven't had too many fights with my mother. My wife and I work things out far better than he and my mother would have. And I can't recall actually trying to put her into a submissive role, just to make myself feel better. Of course, these might just be me being some sort of failing excuse for a man. Happy marriage. Lots of friends. No drug habits. b:surrender Maybe I am the one that isn't mature, for being like him.
    Good post? d=(^_^)=b
    Bad post? q=(-_-)=p
    Troll post? t(^_^)t
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Oh, the maturity factor. Sadly, maturity standards have changed, as of late. Example, playing this game would not be something a mature person would do. So, we have to go with being mature compared to the next gamer. I have seen a 14 year old from Germany act far more maturely than a 23 year old from the US. I have seen those claiming to be very old and mature to be as petulant and annoying as a teen going through puberty. I've even seen it in the work place. A 23 year old can be just as mature as a 35 year old. Thank you society, for placing importance on areas other than maturity.

Personally, I see myself as more mature than my father. I haven't had too many fights with my mother. My wife and I work things out far better than he and my mother would have. And I can't recall actually trying to put her into a submissive role, just to make myself feel better. Of course, these might just be me being some sort of failing excuse for a man. Happy marriage. Lots of friends. No drug habits. b:surrender Maybe I am the one that isn't mature, for being like him.

d=(^_^)=b

~Saitada
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2010

I wish I could remember who it was that said "People individually are wonderful, and people as a group are ***holes". That certainly holds true in this game.

So we agree that maturity is not age related, but you start off by saying "playing this game is not something a mature person would do"?

And you say this in the forum of a game you obviously play?

<confused>

Gamer /= immature

Adult /= mature

Teenager /=immature

WC profanity spammer = immature

RedMenace

\gamer since 1979
    \\pc gamer since 1984
    \\\cursed with a painfully low BS threshhold
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I completely agree at OP.
    just a little while ago, be it end of year stress or whatever, some people at my old faction got really annoying with this "watch your language" stuff. almost half the faction quitted in the span of 3 days. your kids watch (or even worst, read) Twilight, and you don't want them to see someone saying a$$h0|3. with TV, internet,music... your kids probably have a wider range of dirty vocabulary than I do. its called globalization,baby. and as the name implies, this is Pefect World INTERNATIONAL. what in some countries is considered dirty language, in others it isnt. you can always shut the chat off, place parental control function on TV and trap your children inside a bubble.
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Oh, the maturity factor. Sadly, maturity standards have changed, as of late. Example, playing this game would not be something a mature person would do. So, we have to go with being mature compared to the next gamer.

I'm dead sure "mature" and "gamer" are completely different concepts, and one does not prevent the other.

There's the immature gamer (sadly louder than all the others, giving the average gamer a bad name), and then there's the mature gamer. It's like saying... ... ... no I'm not gonna go there after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You just prove you are all a bunch of sick, perverted morons because no one should be using such language to begin with...EVER. So there should be nothing here to complain about in the first place because any properly intelligent person would never use the language the OP is talking about in the first place.

At 27, I still have never and will never like your **** you sick people.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    I completely agree at OP.
    just a little while ago, be it end of year stress or whatever, some people at my old faction got really annoying with this "watch your language" stuff. almost half the faction quitted in the span of 3 days. your kids watch (or even worst, read) Twilight, and you don't want them to see someone saying a$$h0|3. with TV, internet,music... your kids probably have a wider range of dirty vocabulary than I do. its called globalization,baby. and as the name implies, this is Pefect World INTERNATIONAL. what in some countries is considered dirty language, in others it isnt. you can always shut the chat off, place parental control function on TV and trap your children inside a bubble.

It's not entirely about the kids. There's plenty of adults who don't like that foul language.

Plus, there's a difference between swearing every now, and then and looking like an uneducated bigot. I'm sure a large portion of the people who say "watch the language" aren't talking about the f word every 30 minutes or so, but rather a full-blown wall of swears.
    I have seen those claiming to be very old and mature to be as petulant and annoying as a teen going through puberty.
    Reminds me of seeing internet arguments where people claim to be "mature" by getting into petty flaming wars. Or heck, the people who respond to flames with more flames and try to call the flamer immature.

On another forum, a soldier from the military got a warning from website staff for cursing out another user after said user hit on the soldier's girlfriend. He felt the need to make a thread in an off-topic forum (the people who gave him the warning weren't forum mods) and complain about how unfair it was that he, the "soldier", should get a warning. He said that he was the mature one and the other guy was a sissy for reporting him instead of replying to his verbal (textual?) attacks.

I think the definition of maturity is becoming as obscure as the definition of art...
    You just prove you are all a bunch of sick, perverted morons because no one should be using such language to begin with...EVER. So there should be nothing here to complain about in the first place because any properly intelligent person would never use the language the OP is talking about in the first place.

Is this sarcasm? :P

Because in some circles, "****" is still a curse word.
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ok i hoped i could just ignore this thread but seriously even though im just 16

this will be an endless discussion
    we can keep talking like its okay to talk like that or not
    but it isnt gonna help anyone
    if you dont like it you can join a mature faction that doesnt cuss
    if you do think its good join a faction that allows it
    if you are inbetween theres such types off factions to
    if you dont like the WC and think its harrasment you can send in a ticket/and or blacklist the person or ignore it
    and keep in mind this game has an age restriction for reasons

so please stop posting its not gonna help anyone to argue endlessly
    and take the advice i gave you so you can play without hinder
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010

if you dont like the WC and think its harrasment you can send in a ticket/and or blacklist the person or ignore it

It's an open discussion about people's views regarding the matters of freedom of speech and harsh language in an online public setting. There's nothing wrong with discussing it unless it gets to a point where people can't handle their disagreements appropriately and this becomes a flame war, but as far as I can see it hasn't gotten to that point and isn't even close.

People aren't going to stop posting until they feel there's nothing more to say, or a mod locks the thread. :P
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010

b:laughb:laugh

and i would really like to put more laugh smilies, but oh well, 3 limit.

see??? you yourself said ****. sometimes we use those words to express emotions, unable to find a better one. so no hipocrisy hereb:bye
    It's not entirely about the kids. There's plenty of adults who don't like that foul language.

Plus, there's a difference between swearing every now, and then and looking like an uneducated bigot. I'm sure a large portion of the people who say "watch the language" aren't talking about the f word every 30 minutes or so, but rather a full-blown wall of swears.

true, no one likes people that more than swear while talking talk while swearing. but I believe that what the OP was talking about is people making a fuss when someone says f***. I had situations where I was pked and said F*** and got like 20 people saying "watch the language" or "I hate this drama" and blabla.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    a really good way to put it-maturity, rather than age. another would be good manners, consideration for others, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Lazyluna - Heavens Tear
    Lazyluna - Heavens Tear Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm not too fond of people who use their children as a tool to control others. Nor do I care for the "everybody else does it" and "they'll run into it eventually" bullcrap excuses either. Both sides are being disrespectful to the other. I also do my best to not pass judgement on people's parenting. I wouldn't want someone telling me how to raise my children, so why would I with them? Extreme cases aside, of course. We don't need little psychos with axes running around, killing the neighbors. Especially if we are those neighbors. b:cute

With that said, some of us just don't want to have anything to do with your cybering. It's not only those with children, are "old" or don't cyber themselves. I'm 19, definately no kids and cyber like mad with my boyfriend (long distance *sniffles*). But I feel somethings are best kept in private because not everyone wants the play-by-play. Yes, we can easily exit faction chat. But you can just as easily use whisper or, if it's an orgy, a private chatroom. Either side can easily find a new faction.

Racism in any form violates ToS. I have zero tolerance. I will screenshot and ticket it freely and with immense pleasure anyday! I have yet to bump into true sexism. It doesn't bother me. I probably wouldn't report but I would tell said offenders off if someone else were upset. Religious/anti-religious views being mocked/forced onto others will get an instant "ripped you a new one" carnage followed by a swift reporting. Cussing more than talking... *shakes head* I know you have a wider vocabulary. Can you please use it? The occasional side-step around the filter doesn't shake me. But if one were to make a habit of it and ignore those offended, I would screenshot and report. "Going around the filter is against the ToS and you, sir, just ticked me off." :)

Lastly... political slander/opinions/what-have-you... insta-block. I don't care if I agree with you, you really need to take it elsewhere. A political forum would be nice. And as it's said in my family, "Politics is merely a bunch of opinions. Nothing more and nothing less."

Overall though, I don't see the issue. It's easily fixed. Realized you're the black sheep? Find a new flock. That's what I do when I find myself the minority in an offensive faction. It's a virtual world. Thus it's not difficult like moving to a new town or switching schools.

EDIT: I am not talking about World Chat. That's it own can of worms, completely seperate from faction chat. Why? Think of factions as private interest clubs with a maximum population of 150 or 200 (I can't remember which right now, sorry.) Now see WC as a giant stage that has an audience filled with thousands of people from every background imaginable and then some. Two completely seperate issues.
    b:bye RETIRED
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Oh wow youre overblowing it all.
    Ive never seen any "secual acts spelled out in front of me" on world chat. Occasionally I see 'tards thinking theyre perfect world celebrities on world chat saying things like I LOVE YOU every 3 minutes. Ive seen one racist joke (somethin along the lines of "shes probably a white girl anyway").
    Anyway, people saying "I LOVE YOU" in world chat is in every single over-cliche, wannabe romantic comedy movie out there.
    Remember, there IS a difference between how people act on the internet and in real life.
    Yes, 50 years ago it would be "shunned-from-parents-worthy" but remember times have changed.
    This was my previous post

You are not on my server, so perhaps your server isn't as bad about this. But people explicitly talk about "things" they'd like to do to others in world chat here in HT. Just a day or so ago someone said something along the lines of an action a female might do to a male. (trying to not be explicit myself). Saying I love you to another person doesn't bother me in teh slightest if someone wants to buy 100 teles and spam it for 20 minutes. However; saying to the entire world chat what you wanna do to that person that you love, is an entirely different matter. So no, I'm not blowing it out of proportion, my server obviously is different than yours.

You do realize that we can only blacklist 20 people. I would go through that many in 1 day on the world chats I see in Heaven's Tear. There aren't enough blacklist spots.

There is a difference in a swear word or the sentence having so many in it you can't even figure out what the person is trying to say. Lets give an example I don't ******** like this **** part **** because ***** ***** and then ***** this is just **** *******. And this company can **** **** my *****.

Now really.. what did you get from that sentence? That is exactly what we are talking about. If you choose to converse with people, do so with an educated vocabulary where we can understand your point. Cause many of us lose it at the first 3 swear words and your point is lost. Therefore its a meaningless expression.

true, no one likes people that more than swear while talking talk while swearing. but I believe that what the OP was talking about is people making a fuss when someone says f***. I had situations where I was pked and said F*** and got like 20 people saying "watch the language" or "I hate this drama" and blabla.

When you signed up for the terms of service to this game, you agreed; in part and in whole to uphold those terms of service. Going around the chat filter to type out a word specifically censored out is against those TOS that you agreed to.

So anyone asking you to watch your language, or stop the drama is within rights. If you don't like the TOS, then you shouldn't have agreed to them. This is different than right/wrong. Its something you already agreed NOT to do when you made your account. It isn't wrong for someone to expect you to keep your word.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I have yet to find a single person, regardless of age, regardless of anything, complain about the word "****". Even parents with young kids.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited January 2010
    I have yet to find a single person, regardless of age, regardless of anything, complain about the word "****". Even parents with young kids.

****, shucks, and shoot, are all replacements for a four star word. There are a lot of those, out there. Thankfully, they haven't been eliminated. Sadly, I DID get into trouble for saying "****" as a child. =(
    Good post? d=(^_^)=b
    Bad post? q=(-_-)=p
    Troll post? t(^_^)t
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sadly, I DID get into trouble for saying "****" as a child. =(

Same, and for the same reasons... And don't even dare to think about saying "gosh darnit".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lazyluna - Heavens Tear
    Lazyluna - Heavens Tear Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    You are not on my server, so perhaps your server isn't as bad about this. But people explicitly talk about "things" they'd like to do to others in world chat here in HT. Just a day or so ago someone said something along the lines of an action a female might do to a male. (trying to not be explicit myself). Saying I love you to another person doesn't bother me in teh slightest if someone wants to buy 100 teles and spam it for 20 minutes. However; saying to the entire world chat what you wanna do to that person that you love, is an entirely different matter. So no, I'm not blowing it out of proportion, my server obviously is different than yours.

I have to backup OneHottShot here. The WC on Heaven's Tear is downright deplorable at times. The mildest (and all I can share) include a request for more for a TT run with an orgy promised afterwards and a demand for hot chicks to whisper their bra size to get into another TT run. The rest are explicit details on people's sex lives and their actual cybering. b:surrender

I know 5 years ago Catholic schools had issue with "****". I don't know anymore though. But yeah, it's damn near 100% accepted these days. (Like the word "damn". Lol.)
    b:bye RETIRED
    edited January 2010
    I know 5 years ago Catholic schools had issue with "****". I don't know anymore though. But yeah, it's damn near 100% accepted these days. (Like the word "damn". Lol.)

I'm from a family that still goes by the "my roof, my rules" practice. "Damn" would have gotten some yelling. <_< Use it on a parent and it would have gotten a solid spanking. I think my brother used it and got slapped once. I missed it, but I think it brought him back down to earth, during his teen years.b:beatenup
    Good post? d=(^_^)=b
    Bad post? q=(-_-)=p
    Troll post? t(^_^)t
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm from a family that still goes by the "my roof, my rules" practice. "Damn" would have gotten some yelling. <_< Use it on a parent and it would have gotten a solid spanking. I think my brother used it and got slapped once. I missed it, but I think it brought him back down to earth, during his teen years.b:beatenup
    I'm from a family where swearing is bad but racism is all around me (as in, within my family, not outside of it)
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010

My catholic high school has no problem with "****". b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited January 2010

So where should we stop being offended? Should everything be acceptable? If you want to murder someone should we as society accept that as well? Actually I'm more bothered that people think its OK to behave in the manners as I've described above than I am by the fact that they actually do it. A little cursing is one thing, but having sexual acts spelled out in front of us is no different than watching explicit adult videos. If I wanted to watch them, I wouldn't be on an MMO. BTW, the GM's and Mod's aren't bothered, they are doing their job.
    Their Job is to enforce the terms of service you agreed to when you made an account here, no matter what is or is not socially accepted; you agreed to a certain TOS which has NOT been changed.
    [/QUOTE]

This is what is called a strawman argument. **** away at the extreme, to defend your opinion against a lesser evil. At no point does anyone promote profanity as good behaviour, but the extreme has no bearing on the subject at hand, which is most often of a different category altogether. Let's make it clear that the ToS are there for everyone to follow, but it's not up to YOU to interpret what the ToS are and what needs to be penalized. If you have a complaint, send in a ticket just like everyone else. My guess is that either they will grant you your wish or they will label the game in such a way that you are warned in advance and can choose not to play it.

Enjoy your crusade b:bye
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
This discussion has been closed.