Seraphim's PVE-TW Wizard Guide

Options

Comments

• Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    While I was thinking about channeling, it wouldn't be very bad at all if you were really into it. To get -channeling though it would probably be better if you were a light armor build though, because you have to sacrifice your pdef necklace/belt for mdef necklace/belt.

The basic -channeling will get you -36%, two rings, necklace and belt, wrists and weapon all -6% will get you to -36 and that is not that hard to achieve. Then to boost it up to -42% there are frostwalk gold helmet and a manteau that both give -3%, a bit harder to get. Getting more is all dependent on luck to see if you can get gear with more than just -6% channeling. I will say, if I could get -50% channeling or higher, I'd probably switch to that build because it would be amazing.

Casting gush in half a second, sandstorm in 1.25 seconds, or even BID in just 2 seconds, I like. Not only would you cast faster, but you build vigor a lot faster that way as well. Only problem is you lose basically all survivability, which is why crit is preferred.

About sage sandstorm I've heard two things. Some say it is -50% critical rate, and then some say its -50% accuracy rate for the increased 5 seconds. Won't really know until someone actually gets it. Ecatomb does have wrong translations on some skills though.
  • Seraphim - Dreamweaver
    Seraphim - Dreamweaver Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    If a LA wizard has 5200 HP unbuffed for Delta, an Arcane Wizard would have around 4800 with the same cash input... which is pretty much nonfactor.

The only thing is, Robe Wizards actually have to equip a TT80 weapon to avoid taking too much aggro.

From friends who complete Delta on Sanctuary, Arcane and LA is the same in survivability past 9x in Delta. Just make sure you dont equip a rigged TT90 +8 if you are Arcane or you die really really really fast.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    While I was thinking about channeling, it wouldn't be very bad at all if you were really into it. To get -channeling though it would probably be better if you were a light armor build though, because you have to sacrifice your pdef necklace/belt for mdef necklace/belt.

The basic -channeling will get you -36%, two rings, necklace and belt, wrists and weapon all -6% will get you to -36 and that is not that hard to achieve. Then to boost it up to -42% there are frostwalk gold helmet and a manteau that both give -3%, a bit harder to get. Getting more is all dependent on luck to see if you can get gear with more than just -6% channeling. I will say, if I could get -50% channeling or higher, I'd probably switch to that build because it would be amazing.

Casting gush in half a second, sandstorm in 1.25 seconds, or even BID in just 2 seconds, I like. Not only would you cast faster, but you build vigor a lot faster that way as well. Only problem is you lose basically all survivability, which is why crit is preferred.

About sage sandstorm I've heard two things. Some say it is -50% critical rate, and then some say its -50% accuracy rate for the increased 5 seconds. Won't really know until someone actually gets it. Ecatomb does have wrong translations on some skills though.

ya i couldnt choose between inferno heaven ravager souless or fate denial godspeed.

In the end i though crit would be better but im still using the glaive for TT 90
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    If a LA wizard has 5200 HP unbuffed for Delta, an Arcane Wizard would have around 4800 with the same cash input... which is pretty much nonfactor.

The only thing is, Robe Wizards actually have to equip a TT80 weapon to avoid taking too much aggro.

From friends who complete Delta on Sanctuary, Arcane and LA is the same in survivability past 9x in Delta. Just make sure you dont equip a rigged TT90 +8 if you are Arcane or you die really really really fast.

I was wondering what level delta can be completed by a LA wiz? as early as 86-87 with good gears (with frost gears maybe?)?
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I was wondering what level delta can be completed by a LA wiz? as early as 86-87 with good gears (with frost gears maybe?)?
    You would need 6k hp and 9k-10k magic attack O.o
    Quit.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    A level 90 could do it with good enough gears. Arcane would be much better though in delta. Do need 6k+ HP buffed though at least. The physical defense does not matter that much because the buff you receive is more than enough.
  • woyaa
    woyaa Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Sage Sandstorm is the same -50% accuracy loss but for 15 seconds (instead of 10)
    I managed to hit level 104 on a X5 rates server!
    b:cute
    How you level 101's on X1 can stand it, I don't know b:shocked
    Woyaa|Level 104|Venomancer|Heaven|Heavy Fox
    SpringBud|Level 98|Wizard|Heaven|LA Mage <--Goes to DP
    Lowbie Alts:
    FrostSong|Level 90|Cleric|Heaven|Full Vit Cleric
    IcantPWN|Level 77|BladeMaster|Axe/Fists HA/LA
    X0neX|Level 89|Archer|Hell|Exotic EA (1 Mag each level)
    LaZy|Level 91|Cleric|Heaven|Full Int, retired
    T4nker|Level 8x|Barbarian|Full Con, playing on this one
  • Seraphim - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    You need at least +5, +6 Armor for Delta. Most people dont +6 their armor till level 90. You can get past with +5 armor if you run a two cleric no veno squad.

ya i couldnt choose between inferno heaven ravager souless or fate denial godspeed.

In the end i though crit would be better but im still using the glaive for TT 90

Miz at your level pace (One 7x level per week) you may not see level 90 for another 1-2 years.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    doesn't hurt to make plans though. keeps one motivated

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    You need at least +5, +6 Armor for Delta. Most people dont +6 their armor till level 90. You can get past with +5 armor if you run a two cleric no veno squad.

Miz at your level pace (One 7x level per week) you may not see level 90 for another 1-2 years.

no comment.............
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • Seraphim - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Before you hijack my thread into a flame war.

1. You dont tell me to stfu on my thread.
    2. You have been playing PWI for 3-5 months and got to 73 only.

I am not saying I am better than you. I am just projecting from your level pace that you may not see 9x for a very long time.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    kthxbaib:bye

:3
  • Red_Robin - Sanctuary
    Red_Robin - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    wizzies dont have to be 90+ to do delta. just as i completed gamma at lvl 71, i finished my first delta at lvl 86. it depends a lot on the BM and barb. with certain squads i've been in (not super high level) my charm rarely ticks even once until lvl 9. if u dont have an amazing barb/bm though, high hp is obviously helpful. i had 4.7k ish unbuffed at that point if i remember correctly, as LA. was a lot easier with 5.3k hp once i hit 90+, and now im an arcane with 4.9k, 5k hp unbuffed and it works fine as well. upside of arcane is that u can bring a crappy wep and good wep, and pull another +1k dmg out ur **** whenever you feel like it b:laugh
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    wizzies dont have to be 90+ to do delta. just as i completed gamma at lvl 71, i finished my first delta at lvl 86. it depends a lot on the BM and barb. with certain squads i've been in (not super high level) my charm rarely ticks even once until lvl 9. if u dont have an amazing barb/bm though, high hp is obviously helpful. i had 4.7k ish unbuffed at that point if i remember correctly, as LA. was a lot easier with 5.3k hp once i hit 90+, and now im an arcane with 4.9k, 5k hp unbuffed and it works fine as well. upside of arcane is that u can bring a crappy wep and good wep, and pull another +1k dmg out ur **** whenever you feel like it b:laugh

You just reinvigorated my interests in PWI. Hell, I was considering just doing dailies & TW until i get into law school (b:sad 2 more years)... now I think I'll aim for lv. 100 b:victory

Thanks for the info Red.

and once again: Oh benevolent PWI forums moderator(s), please oh please sticky this thread whilst throwing the currently stickied arcane wiz guides into the inferno fire of noob Hell. okay?

okay, thanks b:bye
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options

I've been doing that many times when Archer's BoA was low lvl. Some sword lvl 75 i got from a quest fits perfectly. On Fire waves and bosses, Yaksa comes back to action b:cuteb:chuckle

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Seraphim - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hey smex, good to see you take a pitstop to my guide. Ironic how I once was your wizard idol, fast forward 5 months and you beocme mines ;P
    I've been following your delta build since I last popped in on sanc but there is no way in hell I'd risk doing Delta without 4.5k+ hp on the new server.
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    At 89, the path splits between Sage and Demon, and if you've gotten this far you might as well think twice before what you do.
    While the Sage path's Chi regeneration is helpful, and the extra damage from Masteries, nothing compliments a Wizard's job more than the Demon way of life.
    Why?
    Demon's Earth barrier adds a phenomenal 150% PDef. The damage is really ramped up on our core skill Sandstorm, and the Crit bonuses help greatly in 1 shotting people.
    Our core spammed skills, Gush, Pyrogram, and Stone Rain all undergo huge bonuses as Demon. Pyrogram's channel is shortened 20%. Gush receives additional damage, and Stone Rain receives stun. Distance Shrink range increases an additional 20%. Morning Dew recovers an additional 600 HP over time. These are our core skills and the Sage bonuses are hardly up to par.

With the additional 4th Spark at level 89, your Sutra combo will change dramatically. Your 4 spark Sutra will now be.
    Gush->Mountain's Seize->Sandstorm->Will of the Phoenix->Instant cast Emberstorm.
    (40% Slow->95% Stun->Damage->Damage->Instant Damage (as your sutra will have ended)

1) I would not call Sage skills not up to par. Stone rain casts much faster as sage. Pyro has a chance to give more chi. Gush....isn't that great since it only helps on land, but 600 dmg from demon isnt that amazing either. Distance shrink Sage form chi cost is halved. I consider this much better than an extra 5 meters. Oh, and the 1% crit bonus is not that amazing either.

2)Sutra > Divine Pyro > Mountain Press > Pyro > Glacial (or sage/demon SS)will do more damage

Granted Demon gush gives a bonus to damage, but i really doubt the 1000 extra demon gush does over level 10 divine pyro makes up for 200% weapon damage
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Which 1% crit bonus were you thinking of? The one from Fire Mastery, the one from Water Mastery or the one from Earth Mastery? (I believe they stack...)

Also, you did not mention demon stuns. Sage mages have one nice, reliable stun which has a 30 second cooldown. Demons also have this stun with a range bonus and get some others. One is only 20% but has a 6 second cooldown. Another is 50% and has 30 seconds cooldown. They also get a minor cooldown improvement on force of will.

I think sage and demon are both good...

Wasn't saying Demon isn't good. It has it's good sides. In the end it comes to what you're doing most as to which you pick really. The 1%'s do not stack to each other so it's a flat 1%.

Emberstorm is a 15sec cooldown and is a nice stun. But 50% isn't completely reliable. I did not mention stone rains stun because it's mentioned in the part I'm quoting. 20% chance to stun or .4 seconds off the cast (about 12% faster casting)

Again it's preference as to which you like, but to call one suck compared to the other isn't right. Sage is geared to work better for group fights. Demon works better for solo players.
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Nrgy - Dreamweaver
    Nrgy - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Nice guide Seraphim !
    img532.imageshack.us/img532/3159/alotofworkfornothing.jpg ... Persistence is futile.
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Concerning the Sage/Demon choice, I think in every MMORPG the choice base how powerful something is hardly stand the test of time, as devs will constantly try to balance it out, effectively make all choice equally good. The only thing that last when we make the choice is the style of playing. So the style for Wizard Sage is toward mass damage while Demon is massive crowd control (talking generally, because there is exception to this).
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    ilystah wrote: »
    Concerning the Sage/Demon choice, I think in every MMORPG the choice base how powerful something is hardly stand the test of time, as devs will constantly try to balance it out, effectively make all choice equally good. The only thing that last when we make the choice is the style of playing. So the style for Wizard Sage is toward mass damage while Demon is massive crowd control (talking generally, because there is exception to this).

massive crowd control? lol
    let me think
    emberstorm and hailstorm pretty much it :p
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options

do you even have any idea what are u talking about?
    whatever u smoke, it's some rare ****, I swear.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    massive crowd control? lol
    let me think
    emberstorm and hailstorm pretty much it :p

"Massive" I meant multiple target.

@Ursa: stop throwing unjustified insult around, make argument if you can't otherwise b:shutup
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    do you even have any idea what are u talking about?
    whatever u smoke, it's some rare ****, I swear.

lawl ursa
    "Massive" I meant multiple target.

@Ursa: stop throwing unjustified insult around, make argument if you can't otherwise b:shutup

eh
    sage = 1v2+
    demon = 1v1
    thats pretty much sage and demon in a nutshell
  • FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver
    FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 463 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    demon dmg is fast adn wiht +crit(very very little bonus than sage)
    it is overpowered wiht that demonic spark....and stone barrier makes it body hard...spark>>gush+pyro FTW

sage is like strong constant dmg do to sage masteries be awesome to wiz, he is fanatic for chi(chi, chi, chi, chi...) btw dont forget chi is very important for wiz
    the sage BIDS rocks alot, if the crit efect kicks well u have +30% crit chance for next 10 sec and that works for that BIDS too...i guess sage is chi+chi+chi=bids=1 shot ppl....
    in 1v1 since using all that channeling is stupid u do the same but wiht sutra...
    sutra>Dpyro>bids>SS>Dpyro(exit alot of sutra choices...just use bids+3mid cast time skills)...this sutra+bids is letal....
    spam alot of SR this skill will be a good dps for sages wiht 1.6chan+1.4cast and 200% weap dmg +4800dmg it out dps the demon SS wiht 2.5chan+1.5cast, 300%weap dmg +7600dmg(wiht more than -30%channel this become a layer if u have not above 7000mag)but generaly yeh sage SR>dps>demon SS.
    anyway gush and wop will be always the leads on dps. also demon pyro<dps<sage SR/sage gush
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    demon dmg is fast adn wiht +crit(very very little bonus than sage)
    it is overpowered wiht that demonic spark....and stone barrier makes it body hard...spark>>gush+pyro FTW

sage is like strong constant dmg do to sage masteries be awesome to wiz, he is fanatic for chi(chi, chi, chi, chi...) btw dont forget chi is very important for wiz
    the sage BIDS rocks alot, if the crit efect kicks well u have +30% crit chance for next 10 sec and that works for that BIDS too...i guess sage is chi+chi+chi=bids=1 shot ppl....
    in 1v1 since using all that channeling is stupid u do the same but wiht sutra...
    sutra>Dpyro>bids>SS>Dpyro(exit alot of sutra choices...just use bids+3mid cast time skills)...this sutra+bids is letal....
    spam alot of SR this skill will be a good dps for sages wiht 1.6chan+1.4cast and 200% weap dmg +4800dmg it out dps the demon SS wiht 2.5chan+1.5cast, 300%weap dmg +7600dmg(wiht more than -30%channel this become a layer if u have not above 7000mag)but generaly yeh sage SR>dps>demon SS.
    anyway gush and wop will be always the leads on dps. also demon pyro<dps<sage SR/sage gush

you lost me........
    ooo when i get the sage ults i want to try this out
    399 chi> sutra > chi skill > mountain seize(hopes it uses 1 spark)>double spark pot > BT (hope it uses 1 spark) > dragon > 99 chi

lol i want to see how much my PK count would go up using that in TW
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    A fully skilled demon wiz has two extra channeling buffs, wellspring quaff becomes a 20% decrease for 15 seconds at the cost of one spark, this can amount up to a 60 second long effect(Quaff has a 3 second cooldown so with the sparks it is spammable). The other being the demon spark 25% decrease. This combined with sandstorm creates a huge dps, sage earth mastery might match demon sandstorms damage.

Pitfall, with it's fast cast becomes a quicker version of hailstorm and the demon hailstorm becomes more reliable. And emberstorm with you can almost instantly cast anyway has it's own 50% stun in exchange for around 2% of your hp.

The sage stun(Dragon's Breath) is the single worst skill to learn in the game, stunning resets aggro, which means it becomes lethal to you in Delta. Thats a big blow to leveling and the gathering of old book pages. The demon +500 heal is much safer for delta, and will save some charm in the long run.

Both barriers are good(remember that sage still goes to 120% PDef, it doesn't stay at 100% at lv.11) but the extra 30% on demon means you can spend less on PDef shards/Ornament refines.

Sage with a full skillset has the ability to dig deep into mob/player resistances(assuming the debuffs hit before the damage). I've seen it for myself what happens when you stack debuffs onto undine,

Divine pyro vs my friend= 1.6-9k

Undined=2.2-3k

Sparked(genie)=2.7-3.1k

With the extra debuff from sage DP I could add an extra .4/5k.(not factoring in the extra damage from lv.11 and higher gear/base magic)

Apparently she has 26k element resistance's(waiting on screenie of this). Spark and undine can already remove about 20k of that.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The sage stun(Dragon's Breath) is the single worst skill to learn in the game, stunning resets aggro, which means it becomes lethal to you in Delta. Thats a big blow to leveling and the gathering of old book pages. The demon +500 heal is much safer for delta, and will save some charm in the long run.

Just wondering but does anyone even have the sage/demon versions of Dragons Breath?
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    On sanctuary Ayano-Chan has the skill book but doesn't want it at all because of the effect. Not sure about anyone else.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver
    FireWizardEX - Dreamweaver Posts: 463 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    A fully skilled demon wiz has two extra channeling buffs, wellspring quaff becomes a 20% decrease for 15 seconds at the cost of one spark, this can amount up to a 60 second long effect(Quaff has a 3 second cooldown so with the sparks it is spammable). The other being the demon spark 25% decrease. This combined with sandstorm creates a huge dps, sage earth mastery might match demon sandstorms damage.

Pitfall, with it's fast cast becomes a quicker version of hailstorm and the demon hailstorm becomes more reliable. And emberstorm with you can almost instantly cast anyway has it's own 50% stun in exchange for around 2% of your hp.

Both barriers are good(remember that sage still goes to 120% PDef, it doesn't stay at 100% at lv.11) but the extra 30% on demon means you can spend less on PDef shards/Ornament refines.

Sage with a full skillset has the ability to dig deep into mob/player resistances(assuming the debuffs hit before the damage). I've seen it for myself what happens when you stack debuffs onto undine,

Divine pyro vs my friend= 1.6-9k

Undined=2.2-3k

Sparked(genie)=2.7-3.1k

With the extra debuff from sage DP I could add an extra .4/5k.(not factoring in the extra damage from lv.11 and higher gear/base magic)

Apparently she has 26k element resistance's(waiting on screenie of this). Spark and undine can already remove about 20k of that.

no1 will waste spark on wellspirng quaff...why?becyuz demons will surely safe chi for the big red funnel it rocks imo, +700% from weapon + less25% chan
    they do pyro+gush+phoenix and VUALAA...awesome dpsb:pleased

btw are u sure that Dpyro/GS res debuff staks wiht undine becuz i had already see hight lv telling it dont and some telling it do b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.