Annor's Archer Basics (guide)

Comments

• Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I usually start off with blazing arrow, qiuckshot, frost arrow and any other attacking skills.I might use take aim after quickshot.

Why? You want to do the most damage as possible before the mob reaches you. Just in case you still do not get it.

Using Take Aim other than as an opener is bad

And you want the slow effect to kick in asap from Frost. Usually used as also an opener, not half way through an attack chain.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    What you are saying is use take aim first as an opener if so fine no need for the big lettering.I would expect that from child not an adult.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    What you are saying is use take aim first as an opener if so fine no need for the big lettering.I would expect that from child not an adult.

I apologize for Legerity, it's just that idiocy is a common denominator amidst the normal population.

And yes, the idea of wasting 3 seconds just to charge up an attack while the mob closes in on you does sounds like a bad idea.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009

I used big lettering because of this:
    I would just like to ask about this.

Why start off with frost arrow as you need chi for it and take aim second?

If you could not logically breakdown the opener 1 2 bit, I was sure you would have trouble with the frost and take aim in mid fight thing. The big lettering was to stress the importance of not using either skill in the middle of an attack chain...

And yes, I do see a lot of Archers using Take Aim in the middle of an attack chain, which was a cause of concern hence the big lettering not only for you, but also for future Archers who stumble across this page.
  • Yuki_Rei - Heavens Tear
    Yuki_Rei - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I'm still quite low level as you can see...b:laugh

But this is the 3rd archer I have made.

I can attest to the efficiency in using frost arrow as opener, rather than Take Aim.

Take aim gives outright damage, but it doesn't slow the mob down, and the mob should reach you (in early levels) after you have fired the normal (second; right after the Take Aim) arrow or squeezed the third shot in.

However, by using Frost Arrow, it slows the mob down, enabling you to shoot 2 more shots comfortably and followed up with a knockback arrow.

Pros: It saves you mana (less sitting time= more mobs killing) and mobs should never reach you.

Cons: Just after logging in requires you to spam abit of skills for Chi (after that, you are fine).

I find that using the take aim routine, you should pray not to miss. coz spamming skills are expensive on mana. b:chuckle
  • sharpshoother
    sharpshoother Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hi its an excellent guide b:thanks. But i am little bet confused about the build up. If u add 3 dex, 1str, and 1 vit per 5 pts i think u will not have enogh pts to wear your gear. I think Archers need the same STR and DEX to wear the top of the gear. Will i have enough pts to wear my gear and wepons. Also Archers need a lot DEX for weopns HELP PLZ b:thanks.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Hi its an excellent guide b:thanks. But i am little bet confused about the build up. If u add 3 dex, 1str, and 1 vit per 5 pts i think u will not have enogh pts to wear your gear. I think Archers need the same STR and DEX to wear the top of the gear. Will i have enough pts to wear my gear and wepons. Also Archers need a lot DEX for weopns HELP PLZ b:thanks.

The generally accepted rule is: an Archer only wears "LIGHT ARMOR".

Nothing else.

1 str and 3 dex per level will allow you to equip your level range LIGHT ARMOR and ranged weapons. What you do with the additional point is up to you.
  • sharpshoother
    edited November 2009
    b:thanks a lot. I agree with you, but after lvl 20 you need to add 4 pts to strangteh so you can wear all parts of your armor. You need to do it only one time am i correct?
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    b:thanks a lot. I agree with you, but after lvl 20 you need to add 4 pts to strangteh so you can wear all parts of your armor. You need to do it only one time am i correct?

Lvl 20 armor require 24 str.

If you add 1 str every level you have 24 at lvl 20 since you start at 5.

Lv 1 = 5str
    Lv 10 = 14str
    Lv 20 = 24str

I don't think there are any Light Armors that do not follow the req lvl+4 str rule.
  • sharpshoother
    edited November 2009
    Now i got it b:thanks. Can i know how much HP you have. I think we will have low HP but we will be fast and strong.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Now i got it b:thanks. Can i know how much HP you have. I think we will have low HP but we will be fast and strong.

4426 HP with 3 vit base.

Not in full TT90 or refined and sharded with decent gems.
  • sharpshoother
    edited November 2009
    You mean you added 3 pts to your vit. every 5 pts or 1.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You mean you added 3 pts to your vit. every 5 pts or 1.

No, she started out with 5 points in vit, and never added a single point.

Then, she got a Reset scroll and reset her vit from 5 down to 3.

Lady Legerity - OHT LA does not follow level +4 Str rule.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    No, she started out with 5 points in vit, and never added a single point.

Then, she got a Reset scroll and reset her vit from 5 down to 3.

Lady Legerity - OHT LA does not follow level +4 Str rule.

Ah yes, OHT. They're all raised to 99str for whatever reason. But better not discuss that here as it will confuse this poor Archer's stat distribution.

@sharpshoother:
    I have never touched Vitality apart from reducing it with a reset scroll*.

Basically I went 4dex/1str every level*.

*for the sake of simplicity
  • sharpshoother
    edited November 2009
    So if i add 1pts to vit am i going to have the same HP as yours. Or i need to add 3 pts to vit. I am comfused. Sorry for my English its my third language. But the rule is 3dex 1str and 1 vit every 5 pts wright. Should i do this wey
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    So if i add 1pts to vit am i going to have the same HP as yours. Or i need to add 3 pts to vit. I am comfused. Sorry for my English its my third language. But the rule is 3dex 1str and 1 vit every 5 pts wright. Should i do this wey

Every level should be like this:
    3 dex
    1 str

This is the bare minimum to equip everything an Archer is suppose to.

The left over point could be placed into either Vitality, Dex or Mag.

Mag does nothing for Archers. Not recommended to put anything here.
    Vit will give us 13HP for every point of Vitality.
    Dex will give more ranged damage, accuracy, evasion and 1/20th of a crit percent.

If you add Vit, you survive slightly longer but you deal slightly less damage. How extreme you commit to Vit will have a negative impact on your damage output. (Hybrid)

If you add Dex, you do more physical ranged damage but you have a smaller HP pool so if you get hit you will die quicker. If you commit to lots of dex you can in most cases kill things before they hit you. (Pure)

I personally recommend 4dex/1str every level, however if you feel you need HP, put some into it (try 3dex, 1str, 1vit every level until 50vit or something similar as a starting point if you decided to go hybrid).

I said I have 3vit as in when someone starts a character they have:
    5 Vit
    5 Mag
    5 Str
    5 Dex

Me at 92 (no bonus from equipment):
    3 Vit
    3 Mag
    84 Str
    385 Dex

I reset my Vit and Mag with a reset scroll from 5 to 3.

My HP comes from citrine gems and refines. A Decently sharded and citrined TT90 Archer would have about 5.5k HP.

edit:
    Whoops, I meant a decently refined and citrined TT90 Archer will have 5.5k HP unbuffed. xD
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    +5 TT90 armor sharded with flawless citrines and a sky demon pearl + gold past belt got me to 5.7k when I hit 100 with 3 base vit.

The main harm from adding vit is losing out on crit. If you put 100 dex into vit you lose like 5% crit, 7% damage, for 1.3k HP. Even if you refine your weapon you arent getting that crit back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    A Decently sharded and citrined TT90 Archer would have about 5.5k HP.

That makes sense. xP

I have about 3k health at level 66, for comparison. 50 VIT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • guthans68
    guthans68 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, you all cleared up the Vit, Str and Dex for me.
    Question, I am a lvl 63 Archer and most of my friends are archers. Adding shards to amour some say evasion is the way to go, others use physical def and one has all his for HP. Any tips? I know you need to build protection from the elements so I look at that on all amour to get the highest amount. Been playing a bit over 3 months now and my first time in the forum. Thought I stop in and get some help from the pro's
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    guthans68 wrote: »
    Thanks, you all cleared up the Vit, Str and Dex for me.
    Question, I am a lvl 63 Archer and most of my friends are archers. Adding shards to amour some say evasion is the way to go, others use physical def and one has all his for HP. Any tips? I know you need to build protection from the elements so I look at that on all amour to get the highest amount. Been playing a bit over 3 months now and my first time in the forum. Thought I stop in and get some help from the pro's

Most use and recommend HP shards.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Most use and recommend HP shards.

In the 60s the vast majority of mobs use magic attacks. If you arent going to do pvp you might want to consider cheap sapphire shards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • ZigfrieD - Dreamweaver
    ZigfrieD - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hi guys ^^
    Its pretty much my first post here, and as you can see, I don't have a high level Archer here in PWI, but I have certain experiencie with over a year playing in PWBr...

I'll try to contribute with some knowledge that I gained over the time...

1) About the equipaments: In my opinion (and of 99% os the PWBr Archers) after lvl 95, the Heaven Shatterer is the best weapon that you can't get (i'm not considering the 200k reputation bow).

This Bow have the same atack speed as the 200k reputation bow, gives a good amout of DEX and his skill is very annoying for the enemies...

2) About the Genies skills: I saw the Guide posted by Ijelle, by I didn't see a part that talks about a PvP Genie

After some research I came out with a Genie skill that I think is pretty useful to use em PvP/TW.

The skills are:

1) Protection Tree: A basically surving skill...

2) Occult Ice: Everyone knows that BladeMasters are pretty annoying with their stuns... This skill will help you keeping then away. Basically a crowd control skill...

3) Relentless Courage: When you need a boost in your DPS, this skill is the easiest way to do it without becoming the center of attention (You could use a CHI Burst, but this makes you become a main target).
    You use the skill, get the boost e atack like there is no tomorrow...

4) Tangling Mire: This skill is has 2 good effects: slow and DEF reduction. And gets better: Its AOE...

Two good situations to use it in a TW:

* You need to kill a group of Clerics that are healing the Barbarians: Use the skill, and like I said: hit then like there is no tomorrow... A dead Cleric is a dead Barbarian...

* You gonna use Barrage of Arrows: I dont really know how you guys call the Center Building (the Cristal-shaped thing in the center of the base), but I call it Cristal..

Get the Cristal target (is the best target to a Barrage, cause it "never" dies and dont move), use Tangling Mire, some skill to get imunne to stuns and open the Barrage...
    The "debuffed" targets gonna die pretty fast if you have a good damage...

All these skill are "STR-based", so a Genie with a good amount (60+) os STR will make this skill get much more effective ^^

I hope I was clear ^^. My english is not the best, but the forum will be a good place to practice...

Any comments are welcome =P
  • Arrowwz - Sanctuary
    Arrowwz - Sanctuary Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    hi annor b:dirtyb:surrenderb:byeb:bye
  • Eviltouch - Lost City
    Eviltouch - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    l_d66cfcb69a254e6eae32813a6f5b7cfa.jpg

b:bye
  • Morrzan - Sanctuary
    Morrzan - Sanctuary Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Very good guide, I used this guide when I made my archer =D
  • margaretvegetal
    margaretvegetal Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I'll moderate my language and put my opinions a little furthur from the keyboard if they offend. I've spoken to a fair few archers in my time, only reporting on what ive seen and heard ;). One reason for my opinions being listed in such a way is this: a lot of the people reading guides are people just starting out, it's very easy to switch from a 'pure' build to a 'hybrid' mid-levelling, but impossible to switch in the other direction.

I don't however think a pure build is an excuse to pull aggro, whatever your build, it is your responsibility to control your aggro within the limits of the tank present (provided they are not sorely negligent).
    Hi, i'm new in here, and i run out of arrows.
    where can i find more? is there a place where i can buy some?
    please i need help to keep playing!
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Hi, i'm new in here, and i run out of arrows.
    where can i find more? is there a place where i can buy some?
    please i need help to keep playing!
    http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/28/633502095110658970-facepalm.jpg
  • Allmavia - Heavens Tear
    Allmavia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ty this info helped me and my archer
  • XxX_Venm_XxX - Lost City
    XxX_Venm_XxX - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yay, lol. Good guide! ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mohamedoco97
    mohamedoco97 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    hey one thing when you talked about damage penalties and esspecialy in that thing called ground to air what does damage penalties do what do they affect and are they permanent

PS im a noob that posted this reply before even starting to play the game