Annor's Archer Basics (guide)

Options

Comments

• Sacronox - Harshlands
    Sacronox - Harshlands Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hey one thing when you talked about damage penalties and esspecialy in that thing called ground to air what does damage penalties do what do they affect and are they permanent

PS im a noob that posted this reply before even starting to play the game

=P if you attack something on the ground while in the air, or something on the ground, while in water. Then you do half damage....
    4x sin - Sacronox
    3x psy- Aegento
    5x wiz- Kimbley
    3x ea - Mavado

Raging Tides-
    3x cleric- Ishmael
  • disturbingeffect
    disturbingeffect Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thanks!
    Realy helped me out!
  • mastaharji
    mastaharji Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hey. Im also big, big newb in da game :) Could You tell me, is archer good for pvp? I realy like playing with char that makes something in pvp :D

Thx 4 answer.
    Class: Modo !
  • Orionis - Raging Tide
    Orionis - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    mastaharji wrote: »
    Hey. Im also big, big newb in da game :) Could You tell me, is archer good for pvp? I realy like playing with char that makes something in pvp :D

Thx 4 answer.

PvP you say?

Try an assassin. They own all with their instant teleports (bye bye kiting for EAs), and their invisibility... Well... They can go invisible. What more do I need to say?

My level 45 friend PKed a level 51 barb, and also a level 48 EA. Whether that was good luck or not remains to be seen.

At the moment, Sins are generally considered a 'pure' PvP class, with EAs in second place.
  • Seduction_ - Lost City
    Seduction_ - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Nice guide ill go pure
  • CrimsonCrime - Sanctuary
    CrimsonCrime - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    very good guide since I'm planning to roll an archer soon thanks ;)
    b:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angry
  • Elven_bowman - Dreamweaver
    Elven_bowman - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i got problem with frost arrow combo how can upkeep using it coz all skils no meter what combo gets me 25 chi barly how can fix that and wtf when droping coins i loss half of it lol lost 300k just bye droping cant be wtf is this for ****
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You can build up chi by spamming Wings of Protection repeatedly, or by not using Frost Arrow for a few mobs.

If you are in a squad, and you pick up coins, the coins gets distributed evenly amongst the squad members. So if you are in a squad with 1 other person, and you drop 300k, then when you pick it up, you will each get 150k.
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    whats the use of evasion??? (is it worth an experiment with a full evasion build??? (since shards that give evasion are kinda cheap,...) would it be any good (evades phys hits and vs magic enemys you kinda **** them in the rear with phys skills))
    or does anyone have any experience with a similar build??? (since archers got a lot of dex i thought id post it here,... maybe fisties have some experience with this type of build, but i guess archers are the dex-class if any))
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Most archers agree that using shards for Evasion (or Accuracy) is not worth it.

Citrines for armors, for HP.
    Garnets for weapons, for extra damage.

Your dex should be high enough with regards to Evasion and Accuracy, until you get to high levels.
  • Sekzkilla - Raging Tide
    Sekzkilla - Raging Tide Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've tried both extremes when it comes to allocating points. Learn from my mistakes...

First, like most ignorant noobies I allocated my points equally. I could last forever in a fight but the fight took forever, and when faced with an opponent with lots of hp I got annihilated.

So, I paid to reset my points (at level 19) and allocated my points via the "pure archer" method (4 points to dex, 1 point to strength). My damage per arrow was 3 times what it was before, but if you don't have the "Knockback arrow" you're dead if they get to you since you have so little hp. The other drawback was since I had so little mp, I continually ran out of mp to deliver powerful blows. So now I'm stuck pinging the opponent to death with standard shots while he's grinding on me. Result: dead!

So, I paid to reset some of my points again. I enjoyed the higher level skills and hp damage my shots delivered but I had to last a little longer. I don't like waiting around for my hp and mp to recharge between kills.

Finally, I've landed on a very good balance for an archer. Take it or leave it.

For every 10 points:
    8 for Dex
    2 for strength
    1 for hp
    1 for mp

I'm not dying anymore, killing rapidly and in succession, and eventually I can wear the better armor which does come in handy once in a while.
    Neutrality is a myth!
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I've tried both extremes when it comes to allocating points. Learn from my mistakes...

First, like most ignorant noobies I allocated my points equally. I could last forever in a fight but the fight took forever, and when faced with an opponent with lots of hp I got annihilated.

So, I paid to reset my points (at level 19) and allocated my points via the "pure archer" method (4 points to dex, 1 point to strength). My damage per arrow was 3 times what it was before, but if you don't have the "Knockback arrow" you're dead if they get to you since you have so little hp. The other drawback was since I had so little mp, I continually ran out of mp to deliver powerful blows. So now I'm stuck pinging the opponent to death with standard shots while he's grinding on me. Result: dead!

So, I paid to reset some of my points again. I enjoyed the higher level skills and hp damage my shots delivered but I had to last a little longer. I don't like waiting around for my hp and mp to recharge between kills.

For every 10 points:
    8 for Dex
    2 for strength
    1 for hp
    1 for mp

I'm not dying anymore, killing rapidly and in succession, and eventually I can wear the better armor which does come in handy once in a while.

Um, 8 dex, 2 str every 10 points is exactly the same as 4 dex, 1 str every 5 points.

And btw, the mana issues get lesser with higher levels, since you get more mana but the costs of the skills stay the same. And btw, using mostly normal attacks gets the most damage/second out of an Archer.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options

For every 10 points:
    8 for Dex
    2 for strength
    1 for hp
    1 for mp

!=10

I'm getting old but I can still do basic addition...
  • PureSpirit - Raging Tide
    PureSpirit - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hi,i now that is another thread but, somebody can answer to may quesstion?

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=307952&page=9
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sorry what I meant was if you have 80 in dex, you should have 10 in hp and 10 in mp, and 20 in strength. It's not exact. It's more of an average.
    Neutrality is a myth!
  • _Raikken_ - Sanctuary
    _Raikken_ - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Wow. Thanks to Annor for an excellent guide into archerism. I think i almost learned as much from the discussions you have created here as from the incredible guide itself. A real gift to the PWI archer community. Thanks!

p.d. back to reading all the 34 pages of opinions/comments : D
  • CharlesKrieg - Harshlands
    CharlesKrieg - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ok so perhaps here is where I can get some input into my archer... I really have never WANTED to be an archer I am more of sin player for the stealth and high crit rates... I've noticed that there were less archers on my server (to my knowledge and just viewing of who is what) so i thought I'd step away from the mainstream. The added bonus of being able to fly from the get go is a big bonus and i never really liked to play a healer all that much.

I'm going with a type of 'pure' build. I'm adding enough str to just wear my next lvl of boots before I can even wear the chest and placing all the rest to dex. I have 20 mag for the simple fact of not being annoyed by flying from one place to the other destroying my mana pool or mp pot supply. I have been keeping over 91% acc and over 12% evade on mobs my lvl but I would really like to do TW later on without the hassles of dying in one hit from a barb on steroids.

Having already the str I need for my gear, would it be more wise to add additional str for melee atk and def or is it a better option to go for a lil vit here and there where I see I can spare the points? I'm not sure the formulas on this game for str-def and vit-def/hp.
  • nauziem
    nauziem Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Eeps, misspost.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I can see why the 20 magic might have been alluring, you'll probably regret that one later though (restats are expensive, and that problem is short-lived).

Putting more STR in for an archer than is required for light armor would at best be considered a variant, and by most be considered an utter waste.

Pure (4 dex, 1 str) is by far the most efficient build for levelling, and I strongly recommend this build to be used if not indefinately... at least until the levelling slows down (around level 80 or so) -- but then again, I don't play on a PVP server, and I don't know what you guys have to deal with.

As for vit-hybrid builds, while I was initially rather close-minded about these, I can see for PVP that they can have their advantages, and high HP is very important here. A Pure-minded archer would consider these builds a substitute for appropriate (AKA excessive and expensive) refining and sharding.

PS: Accuracy and evade as a dexterity-centric class take care of themselves, leave worrying about those to BMs and Barbs, you'll have more than ample.

PSS: Thank you all for your continued love and support of this thread, It warms my heart to see it flourish even in my neglect.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Made some minor changes to the guide... been too long since I've played with it ;)
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Annor, your information is indispensable. Thank you so much. It has really helped me play better and level up.

What are your feelings on Vicious Arrow? I find it helps with monsters who have a lot of hp since the fight takes a while when I'm not in a squad.
    Neutrality is a myth!
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm very glad to hear you like it :)

I share the fairly mainstream opinion that viscious arrow is not worth the time and mana spent casting it. It's a 1.6 second channel/cast for relatively small amounts of damage, time that could be spent firing off regular shots.

*Ammended for clarity: thanks Lady Elena*
    edited March 2010
    Options
    (Also note when comparing the damage to regular shots that magic attacks do not get the 40% weapon damage buff from Blazing Arrow).

Yes, they do. This was tested by Asterelle and various other archers.

Blazing Arrow affects all regular attacks and skills that use only 1 unit of ammunition. It also affects fist/claw weapons. It does not apply to bare-handed.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ooh thank you, i guess it always made sense that it should have. It doesn't change my position on viscious arrow though ;)
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ooh thank you, i guess it always made sense that it should have. It doesn't change my position on viscious arrow though ;)

True, but you should probably update your guide so that it says so.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    While you're at it:

dexterity/100 should be changed to dexterity/150
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ty both, already tried before but I'll fix it now... my last post was from my cell (Shhh... not a geek). I have my full powers at my disposal now ;)

Glad you're still around Elena... at least in forummage... you scared me with your leaving talk o.o
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ty both, already tried before but I'll fix it now... my last post was from my cell (Shhh... not a geek). I have my full powers at my disposal now ;)

Glad you're still around Elena... at least in forummage... you scared me with your leaving talk o.o

It's only to relieve some boredom at work. I've uninstalled PWI weeks ago.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It's only to relieve some boredom at work. I've uninstalled PWI weeks ago.

...and then you'll shortly realise you're installing it again because you're bored. b:chuckle

The Archer section has been so boring in the recent months. It fills me with sadness.
  • ZadeSezuo - Dreamweaver
    ZadeSezuo - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Annor I got a question,

Before I read this guide I lvled my skills in my own thinking. Now my Take Aim is level 6 and my knockback arrow is level 2. What should I do now ? because as far as I know there is no way to reset skills or something like that.