Annor's Archer Basics (guide)

Comments

• Granito - Lost City
    Granito - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    one question...

archers have pets???

well, I have much experience since my last post xD, i am lvl 13 now b:victory

but i like to entry in a faction to help me grow, my path of evolution is the hybrid one, if any guild needs me, just add b:laugh

i know, i do not needed in large guilds, so i wanted to entry in a guild that need my services lol
  • FunkyP - Lost City
    FunkyP - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    After reading through this guide and every page that follows, I must say I'm rather proud of myself b:pleased

Even without much in the way of help in-game or from guides, I still haven't made any significant errors in my overall archery-ness up to this point *ignores my 12 mage*.

However, I do have to thank you for providing good info for the levels up and coming. I probably would have made a few mistakes and ruined my streak of awesomesauce if not for you, so thanks. b:thanks
  • OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary
    OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    no way a veno can kill with only sending the nix,
    Lol....ya it can....
  • Progrinder - Dreamweaver
    Progrinder - Dreamweaver Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    well if you like to see the nixe on you and do nothing yes it'll kill you:)
  • mishwow
    mishwow Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    thanks for the guide helps heapsssss :D
  • thealbanianbull
    thealbanianbull Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Very nice guide, it's really helpful. But there is more builds for an archer. I use for example the Primary Dex, Secondary Vit build where you put enough str to wear armor and put 3 point to dex and 1-2 on vit depending on if you reached the lvl requirments for the weapons/armors. But anyways very helpful guide.b:victory
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Ty again to everyone who's read and enjoyed my guide, and um... a little 'ty' to the people who don't like it as well.

I'm just back from a short holiday, sorry for the belated reply ;)

-archers don't have pets
    -albanian: glad you liked it, the build you mentioned will never really have significantly more than 1 point of vit per level, the stat requirements of light armor and ranged weapons will keep you fairly close to 3-1-1. Though yes, with all the builds you can throw them off a little and catch up later though -- and have a few extra vit or a few extra dex for a little (as long as you're not allocating into stats you don't plan on eventually picking up).

With regards to the ornament choices, this guide was originally born to help the starting archers for which physical defence is preferred. I personally still prefer phys defence as I have a pet hate for BMs and Barbs, I also find physical damage to be the more dangerous when it occasionally presents itself in PVE. I'll look into it and consider tweaking though.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Feolin - Dreamweaver
    Feolin - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hi am new here....As i can see Annor your guides are very good and helpful...b:pleasedI agree completely with you
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Feo :)
  • Feolin - Dreamweaver
    Feolin - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Your welcome b:victory
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Total Damage = (1+[dexterity/100]+[Skill Multiplier]+[Bow Mastery])x(Equipment Physical) + Static Skill Bonus
    -Percentage multipliers should be converted to decimal (i.e. 120% = 1.2)
    -Blazing arrow multiplier will only effect normal shots (not active skill shots)
    -Total damage is modified by enemy defense

Is there more information about the damage formulas for the game? For example, is it an established fact that Critical Hit always doubles your damage? How about resistances, accuracy, evasion, physical defense?

Also, I thought it was proven somewhere that Blazing Arrow affects skills that use 1 arrow as well as normal shots instead of just normal shots.
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    To take some maths to your questions:

Accuracy/Evasion? Well, if 20% of your hits are critical, then I suppose 20% of your misses are "critical misses", I don't see a reason why misses would complicate this.

I do believe that criticals always double your damage, but resistances don't complicate this too much in my opinion.
    Say your damage is 10k base, and reduction from armor is 25%
    your regular hit damage would be 7.5k
    your crit damage would be (10k*2) with 25% reduction is 15k
    It doesnt matter whether you appy the reduction before or after doubling.

I believe Blazing Arrow only works on normal shots, but I know this from other archers, not my own testing, so I'm happy to be proven wrong on this.
  • M_O_F_O - Heavens Tear
    M_O_F_O - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Annor. Could i borrow your bow please b:dirty
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Annor. Could i borrow your bow please b:dirty
    *take M_O_F_O's ear* how many times I told u to don't get out the barbarian section >:3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • M_O_F_O - Heavens Tear
    M_O_F_O - Heavens Tear Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    *take M_O_F_O's ear* how many times I told u to don't get out the barbarian section >:3

b:shockedsorry dad b:shocked
  • draynoair221
    draynoair221 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    w0w [/I]yur guild is alot better den the other one b:cute
    Ukelele(F/barb) Miseree(F/Vamp)xRein(F/Priest)xCloud(F/Marksman)BlackNaux(M/Warrior)
    Negelected by PWE and is still praying to get in. Had my key since they announce they game with BOI
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeIanie - Lost City
    MeIanie - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    awesome guide, thanks for sharing.
  • Archerover - Harshlands
    Archerover - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    nice guide and thanks for imforations and i see i can do that b:pleased
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Always glad to be of assistance :)
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Always glad to be of assistance :)

Useful guide. Always nice to be able to look up your newest skill and see a 9x's opinion on it.

May I request opinions on the two level 79 skills: Elven Alacrity and the evasion one? Alacrity sounds to me like a reason to replace Holy Path on my genie, and the evasion one would almost be a replacement for Wings of Protection, depending on how long it lasts. I could cast Wings of Protection on everyone else in the squad, then use my own personal max-evasion on myself.

What do you think about those skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Useful guide. Always nice to be able to look up your newest skill and see a 9x's opinion on it.

May I request opinions on the two level 79 skills: Elven Alacrity and the evasion one? Alacrity sounds to me like a reason to replace Holy Path on my genie, and the evasion one would almost be a replacement for Wings of Protection, depending on how long it lasts. I could cast Wings of Protection on everyone else in the squad, then use my own personal max-evasion on myself.

What do you think about those skills?

I'll throw my opinion on this issue, although most are speculative as I do not have either skill.

Elven Alacrity requires a spark and lasts slightly longer than HP. It's nice to have but rather expensive (20 apo pages and 10 med ink - same with Blessing of the Condor). It is a singular target skill, unlike HP. Whether you wish to replace it is up to you but Elven Alacrity has a cooldown of 3minutes (also the same as B.o.t.Condor).

Blessing of the Condor is, according to Asterelle (http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=342851) a self buff only so you have no choice but to buff yourself. My assumption is that this skill will override your evasion buff icon so once it expires in 6 seconds, you would need to recast Wings of Protection to acquire the evasion boost again, hardly worth the coins imo. It will be limited in usage overall.
  • SteeI - Heavens Tear
    SteeI - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I had a little funny experience regarding Winged Shell...

Thing is I was fighting normal mobs for my level while grinding this day. Then I accidentally pulled two mobs, but stubborn as I am I don't like running unless I know it's hopeless. (At the time the mobs were 1+ my level)

Once I see them go side by side, I cast the thunderous blast, dealing 2000-4000 damage on that one successfully hitting them both. Then I use normal shots on either, casting knockback on one of them to delay more damage to it.

Before one of them gets to me, I activate Winged Shell, by the time I have it activated the mob has come close to me. Once both mobs attack me I use Wingspan, knocking both mobs back. By the time they get to me again I have already started using Thunderous Blast, and when they are about to get to me again I fire it dealing 2000-4000. Killing one of them.

By now knockback arrow is already charged up again, so I knock the other mob away followed by frost arrow and normal shoot it until it gets close before I finish it with Winged Pledge.

The results were:
    Total Damage Taken: about 300. (By four hits.)
    Total Mobs defeated: Two.
    Total Mana Spent: ALOT. But because I have focus powder I can afford it + Winged Shell.

Before today I didn't know how useful the Winged Shell could be, as I usually could kill one mob before it gets to me. But it surprised me to see that I could kill two and get out of it with only 300 HP output.

Archers are not meant to AoE, and is of course a bad idea to solo AoE even. But you don't necessarily need to run when being engaged by two mobs. Depending on how tactical your thoughts are (And your Winged Shell level) you can probably kill both mobs and get out of it without much HP losses.

Point: Winged Shell saved me! I have recently started leveling it seriously as it was only at level 5 at the time of these events. (Now level 7, want to save some spirit and coin for the upcoming MAX blazing arrow.)
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I got a question.

THe skill wings of grace reduces all damage taken by 30% Level 10 Wind Shield also reduces all damage taken by 30. So would these two skills stack to reduce damage taken by 60%?
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm level 23 and am going with this guide almost completely... the only difference i have made is i'm maxing take aim as soon as it's available.... Now the guide says it's low damage for the cast time....
    but as i said i'm level 23 and it's my highest damage skill, and although it has a long cast time i don't find it too bad(this probably comes from me also playing quite a lot on my wizard XD) Currently, west of Arch, all i'm having to use to bring down the mobs is use take aim and pewpew... most of them die before touching me.... If i know they're too fast or if i'm unsure then i'll follow take aim immediately with frost arrow and it works great. My point being, take aim is certainly not useless, at least not for me XD In my experience thus far it hits for more than twice my normal shots (those doing 4 to 6 hundred and thus it doing on average 1100) and when it crits (i have 5% chance so far) it's usually between 2k and 2.5k... which is a pretty good number imo (my wiz of the same level's highest crit is just 2k :P )

But yeah... i've talked too much b:shutup

Later b:avoid
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
  • Veecha - Heavens Tear
    Veecha - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Just wanted to drop in to say thanx to Annor for the guide...:)

I've just started PWI yesterday so I know nothing at all and the guide has links to other guides.
  • GREEN_GOD - Heavens Tear
    GREEN_GOD - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I actually wanted to say thanks to Annor (and faithful guild Heavens Tear server *Carebears Numbah wun*) leveled an appropriate archer 1-52 in a week and a half.

<
    Pure Dex archer, thanks to Annor when I duel to test damage, 90% of the time I win. *10% is when high levels take out my shield to fast* :) Without the guide I would have leveled everything and been the poorest person in the entire game with the wrong skills. So thanks annor.
  • Xiao_Qian_ - Sanctuary
    Xiao_Qian_ - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    b:shyI think its good to max the take aim skill =]
    As my experience as a Hybird , take aim is very handy as i take out 1/4 of
    the opponent's healthb
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Its not Eion anymore its Unknown]
    Done by ForsenX
  • I_missU - Dreamweaver
    I_missU - Dreamweaver Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    the guide is good and i use this guide too for my archer, but, for grinding/questing i usually use stunning arrow, knockback and aim low.

i try to grind with the guide but i dun really like it b:cry

i usually do like this,

if i have spark i use aim low and regular shot, if i dont have spark i use stunning arrow and regular shot. sometimes knockback arrow if i get damage. b:chuckle

usually with do like this i killed the mobs before it come to me or hit me, so i rarely use winged shield, unless i kill mobs that 10 lvls higher than me b:surrender

warning: this is only 'a thing' i usually do, what i comfort to do.. not a guide!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    QQ
    I got demon quickshot at last b:victoryb:thanks
  • Dutchman - Harshlands
    Dutchman - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    around your lvl, the mobs are usually the toughest compared to your own damage output. Once you get the stash longbow (and from then on TT/mold weapons), you'll start to do so much damage that frost arrow -> regular (with or even without knockback) will allow you more than enough shots to kill mobs. Up to about 50, i had to use stun/aim low occasionally as well, because i wasn't killing fast enough.
    The main benefit: frost arrow is about 80 mana, knockback only around 25. Less mana used = less pots needed = more coins for you.
  • Ajani - Harshlands
    Ajani - Harshlands Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    b:shyI think its good to max the take aim skill =]
    As my experience as a Hybird , take aim is very handy as i take out 1/4 of
    the opponent's healthb

Only the lvl 11 take aim is decent so don't bother lvling it before.
    I only use it in boss/HH for building Chi.
    PVP: 3800 kills in the name of KD lawl
    Retired as of 18/11/09
    Back as of 22/11/10
    Archer retired as of 26/12/10