Official Coffee Talk: Halloween Event

Options

Comments

• Sig - Heavens Tear
    Sig - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Love the event :]

@Sig. 2 of my guild members did not spend ANY real life cash on angels and got a Midnight on their 2nd try. Just because you aren't lucky doesn't mean this even is an epic fail.

I personally enjoy it, exspecially the free costumes.

1: Was this before or after the price fix?

2: What I'm talking about has nothing to do with ME. So me being unlucky is an invalid argument. I got what I want out of this event actually. ;p
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    @mystic
    My item sais "30 points" or something, it doesnt say 30% increase. I cant take it off so its pretty hard to tell the exact increase. Anyways atacking and defense has the items so its not like TW is now completely unbalanced it's just more "sudden death"
    The whole thing of 10k vs 100k and mass abuse etc REALLY should warrant a rollback or if the number of players is <100 GM/Admin might wana personally attend to each account. To bad I was asleep when this was happening.

@everyone
    All games I've ever played gear events to the higer lvl players -they are richer and spend more CS.
    No one is forcing you to spend gazilions to try and get stuff, and the event deserve some credit for not giving out BFG4000's to every second guy.
    Spend 2g50, buy 10 dolls.. go get your 10 boxes and hope you get lucky, DONT get gamble addiction and then cry on the forums cos ur broke. Next month those weapons and mounts will be for sale for a few coins in the AH/stalls and everyone is happy.

The only bad thing is the price abuse at the start, if PWI did anything wrong -that was it. They should have handled that better.
  • Sig - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    @mystic
    My item sais "30 points" or something, it doesnt say 30% increase. I cant take it off so its pretty hard to tell the exact increase. Anyways atacking and defense has the items so its not like TW is now completely unbalanced it's just more "sudden death"
    The whole thing of 10k vs 100k and mass abuse etc REALLY should warrant a rollback or if the number of players is <100 GM/Admin might wana personally attend to each account. To bad I was asleep when this was happening.

@everyone
    All games I've ever played gear events to the higer lvl players -they are richer and spend more CS.
    No one is forcing you to spend gazilions to try and get stuff, and the event deserve some credit for not giving out BFG4000's to every second guy.
    Spend 2g50, buy 10 dolls.. go get your 10 boxes and hope you get lucky, DONT get gamble addiction and then cry on the forums cos ur broke. Next month those weapons and mounts will be for sale for a few coins in the AH/stalls and everyone is happy.

The only bad thing is the price abuse at the start, if PWI did anything wrong -that was it. They should have handled that better.

I DO understand where you are coming from, higher level, more money, better chances, simple concept. But I think that they should do something better for the others players not us rich pricks.
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options

1: Was this before or after the price fix?

2: What I'm talking about has nothing to do with ME. So me being unlucky is an invalid argument. I got what I want out of this event actually. ;p

I'm not sure how the first question relates to my post, could you elaborate on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sig - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Love the event :]

@Sig. 2 of my guild members did not spend ANY real life cash on angels and got a Midnight on their 2nd try. Just because you aren't lucky doesn't mean this even is an epic fail.

I personally enjoy it, exspecially the free costumes.

I highlighted it in red. What I meant was, did they get these before when the event was only 10,000 coins, or after when they increased it too 100,000 coins?
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I highlighted it in red. What I meant was, did they get these before when the event was only 10,000 coins, or after when they increased it too 100,000 coins?

As stated in my post they spent in game money to buy angels. They did not pay the fee and at the time they got their mounts the bug had been fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sig - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    As stated in my post they spent in game money to buy angels. They did not pay the fee and at the time they got their mounts the bug had been fixed.

Ah right, you did say that sorry. Awesome though, I wish lower levels had a shot though.
  • Deathhowl - Heavens Tear
    Deathhowl - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Seriously,
    I don't care who got what from the halloween event.
    i don't want to be forced to read huge blocks of orange text to get to the response i need from a squad member, sometimes during an important battle.
    i can't imagine syncing an fb with a squad like this.
    conversation in fb:

me:Lure the mob
    ~~~ duke for 8 times in 2 seconds~~~
    veno: what was that?
    *me scrolling up to read*
    me: lure the mob
    veno: what was that again?
    ...etc

or
    squad member: Quick steal aggro off that mob or we're going to wipe OR
    Cleric: Take aggro off me, mob is on me.
    result? a wipe.

Shut duke up, PLEASE.

once an hour announcing an event is fine
    every 2 seconds announcing that someone got a prize is NOT.
    MAYBE announcing midnight or wings or something is fine... but announcing even the darn candy?!
  • Sig - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Seriously,
    I don't care who got what from the halloween event.
    i don't want to be forced to read huge blocks of orange text to get to the response i need from a squad member, sometimes during an important battle.
    i can't imagine syncing an fb with a squad like this.
    conversation in fb:

me:Lure the mob
    veno: what was that?
    *me scrolling up to read*
    me: lure the mob
    veno: what was that again?
    ...etc

or
    squad member: Quick steal aggro off that mob or we're going to wipe OR
    Cleric: Take aggro off me, mob is on me.
    result? a wipe.

Shut duke up, PLEASE.

once an hour announcing an event is fine
    every 2 seconds announcing that someone got a prize is NOT.
    MAYBE announcing midnight or wings or something is fine... but announcing even the darn candy?!

LMFAO! Win....I agree. BUMP?
  • Sereniama - Heavens Tear
    Sereniama - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    HERES A IDEA!

Get a female wraith that is REALLY hot and make him get laied by it and they make love :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    If there is one thing we can agree on its this: "Duke STFU!!!!!!!!"

I gave up even trying to get a party for HH or having any conversation whatsoever in any chat.
  • Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear
    Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That Duke is surely making the game impossible to play (unfortunately won't turn off ). That's the biggest problem with this event.

To clarify some things:

Is this event just a ploy to line the dev's pockets?
    Of course it it is, that's blatantly obvious. If you don't like it, don't play it. It IS a gamble after all. They lack the creativity to develop involving events, so this is all they could come up with. Like it or don't, it's all we get.

Do the devs actually care about lower levels in terms of events?
    Of course they don't. You won't find an MMO out there that cares about the lower levels in regards to events. Look at it this way: If you're level 20, then you still have a whole world of quests and leveling ahead of you to keep you interested. However, if you're level 60+ then you don't have much to do other than grind. Those bored 60+ players are the ones the devs need to try and keep happy so they don't leave.

Is this event geared towards the F2P genre? Of course not. Today's market is all about money. This is not a Free to Play game, F2P is just a marketing scheme to attract players. Once they get players, they give them about 20 levels of F2P action to get them hooked, and from that point the cash shop starts slapping you in the face with things like Heiros. So for the newer players under level 20 that are upset about the event, you just haven't discovered yet that this is not really a F2P game and that the F2P tag is only a marketing tactic.

When I was still only an undergraduate pursuing my bachelor's in multimedia development, I ended up having a 15 week class focused around MMOs. One of the major elements of this class focused on question number 2 above. It is an important aspect because many lower levels are always complaining about how all the extra content and events are geared at higher levels. Let's look at World of Warcraft for example. Their Christmas even last year (which PW's Halloween event this year is almost exactly like) issued a lot of complaints from some lower levels over a few things. Sure, there was plenty of content for lower levels, including the fact that they could participate in lower levels of the giftbox event with lower level mats, but there were some major complaints about the fact that all the fun stuff was geared at level 70s. Well the fact of the matter is, you have to ask, what are the low levels doing when the event is not going on? the answer is leveling, questing, dungeons, etc etc. But what are the high levels doing? Raiding and daily quests. Being a high level can get boring quick, which is why most MMOs tailor events like this more towards the high levels. Just an interesting fact for the lower levels who may misunderstand, thinking they are getting jipped.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a high level, I am mid level at about 41, I just know how things worked. All statements based off of observations AFTER receiving a four year education in technology and gaming entertainment at the University of Advancing Technology. These are the opinions of a technology grad student based on college level observations and do not reflect the opinions of Perfect World Entertainment. This is not a bash against Perfect World, rather an offering of answers to the "why" questions in hopes that people better understand the way things work. I apologize if you disagree and hope you find your own answers.

Personally, the Duke's system messages every half a second are annoying me to death. So I'm just going to set up shop at outrageous prices and come back when the event is over. Happy playing guys! :)
  • xfiercex
    xfiercex Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    the duke shouting is another way PWI ppl use to get you to buy the boxes. when you see so many people getting good stuff like midnight etc you'd want to try your luck yourself, and spend money. obviously the GMs knows how annoying the duke spaming is, but they won't do anything about it because their plan its working.
  • Cherris - Heavens Tear
    Cherris - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have 4 Gift packs, 2 Ornament Packs and 1 weapon pack, 1 armor pack. They won't open. i'm at Jones and nothing there gives me any clue how to open them.

Anyone else have this problem or am I just too stupid to figure this out?

~S

Yea, is ur invo full? cuz if it is then then packs that u got r most likely to hav more than one item in them and u need more space in ur invo. I wouldn't say u were stupid, its just that this is a new game and alot of ppl don't know things about it: I had the same prob myself. In fact Im wondering where can u get a Gaurdian angel?
  • painkid
    painkid Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    HERES A IDEA!

Get a female wraith that is REALLY hot and make him get laied by it and they make love :D
    Wow that really weird lol
  • Sig - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    mystic wrote: »
    PVE players shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on this event, since it's not wrecking their server like it is ours.

I agree you should be given more attention, but to revoke the attention of the PvE players is an unintelligent idea. PvE players have things they want to say as well, and they should be allowed to say them.
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I agree you should be given more attention, but to revoke the attention of the PvE players is an unintelligent idea. PvE players have things they want to say as well, and they should be allowed to say them.

That's why I don't play PvP servers. I love PvP, but 90% of the people I ever meet on PvP servers are selfish, unintelligent annoyances to humanity. That's just not the type of people I like to associate with.

Every player has a right to an opinion, whether they play on a PvE or PvP server, whether they are paying players or not. Why do PvP server players always have to be so disrespectful?
  • Yukiko - Lost City
    Yukiko - Lost City Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That's why I don't play PvP servers. I love PvP, but 90% of the people I ever meet on PvP servers are selfish, unintelligent annoyances to humanity. That's just not the type of people I like to associate with.

Every player has a right to an opinion, whether they play on a PvE or PvP server, whether they are paying players or not. Why do PvP server players always have to be so disrespectful?

It's not a matter of disrespect at all. It's getting you non PvP players to understand exactly how severe this kind of abuse is to a PVP environment.
  • Dagnytaggart - Heavens Tear
    Dagnytaggart - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It's not jealousy, I hope everyone gets a great prize, but...

The constant spam of who won what, which cannot be turned off, is really REALLY annoying. I can't chat with my guild or friends and it's ruining my fun.

If it can be shut off and I missed how, someone please enlighten me :-)
  • Talien - Sanctuary
    Talien - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It can't be shut off since they're system messages, those can't be disabled. We just have to live with it I guess.....it's bad enough on Sanctuary but I don't even want to imagine how much worse it'd be on Heaven's Tear since it has a lot more people.
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The event was PHAIL - PERIOD. They took a WHOLE day longer to do it and STILL PHAILED. Great job PWI, You're going to loose your player base if you keep this up. You should make events that non-cash players ACTUALLY, and I really do mean ACTUALLY get something nice from. Now Hear this, I AM a cash player, I just know how it is to be someone who doesn't have a damn shot because someones trying to burn a whole in your pocket.

Look PWI staff, I know the server needs money, great, you're rich after that event. But without players, you're not getting anything, and I think this mornin, you lost a few. How about you do something for the OTHER HALF OF THE PLAYERS. You need to hire new hands, you're NOT doing a good job. Sorry.

This about sums it up

I'm not playing until they make the Duke shut up
  • Dagnytaggart - Heavens Tear
    Dagnytaggart - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    markillian wrote: »
    This about sums it up

I'm not playing until they make the Duke shut up

I can't take it anymore either
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    We are aware that a lot of you are unhappy about Duke spamming the server. We're looking into correcting this issue ASAP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I am most amused by the negativity about this event. A lot seems to be coming from people who either can't or won't participate. Most unfortunate.

The side effect on PvP is sad, but I don't think there's much reason to be bothered? I mean, some of those things you probably could win from your adversaries if you kill them, correct? I also think that if they did not have the event on PvP, there would still be angry people saying things like, "Where's my chance to have Midnight???" & "Where's the love PW?!"

The most ironic thing is that the complaining about Duke rivals the annoyance of his constant announcements.

I am hoping that perhaps this may serve as a lesson to WC spammers. I got pretty good at ignoring them, I'm sure some of the more "mature players" can adjust too. So if no one has anything positive or constructive to say, what is the point to this thread? I find this to be.. well full of schadenfreude considering that I got rather terrible reception for saying that WC was pretty much an outlet for spam and the option should be available to turn it off in common chat.

幸灾乐祸
    "Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_fayth_xx - Sanctuary
    Xx_fayth_xx - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have but one thing to say about this event ... the free items were ok, the costly items were meh, and the Duke must DIE!. Yes I shouted that once (just once) in the world chat and got about a thousand whispers affirming this desire. KILL THE DUKE. KILL HIM GOOD AND FAST!
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It's not a matter of disrespect at all. It's getting you non PvP players to understand exactly how severe this kind of abuse is to a PVP environment.

You sound like you could possibly be one of the 10% of PvP server occupants who is not a total jerk, so I commend you for that. But what kind of abuse are we referring to? If it's the 10k bug, that would have hurt a PvE server as well. If it's the fact that you drop items when you die and dropping a Midnight would be upsetting, then that's the flaw of a game where PvP causes you to drop items and that's the price of playing on a PvP server in that type of game.

I mean no disrespect, but when a PvP player says that PvE players have no right to comment because it doesn't affect them as much as a PvP server, then I must say that a PvP player has no right to comment because they are the ones who chose a PvP server. The road goes both ways.
  • wfgoku
    wfgoku Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    how many people playing this game can afford 100 grand to do it once let alone as many times as some people are doing it.watching people win 3-4 times in a row is bs.i bought 4 angels and didn't win **** but some stupid candy and some treats.watching people win that many times in a row got me and many others thinking contest is rigged somehow.i'm not saying everyone should win the horse but come on most players can't afford it.ask around most people will give you same opinion.the costumes are nice but they don't do anything but look cool.also there is something wrong with the coin part of the quest my wife or me couldn't do it but earlier when she gave me the 100k it worked automatically like it should but when either of us have our own money nothing.when you try to talk to him he acts like an npc with nothing to say to you.
    this as nice as i can be concerning this matter without getting myself muted or banned from forums.
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You sound like you could possibly be one of the 10% of PvP server occupants who is not a total jerk, so I commend you for that. But what kind of abuse are we referring to? If it's the 10k bug, that would have hurt a PvE server as well. If it's the fact that you drop items when you die and dropping a Midnight would be upsetting, then that's the flaw of a game where PvP causes you to drop items and that's the price of playing on a PvP server in that type of game.

I mean no disrespect, but when a PvP player says that PvE players have no right to comment because it doesn't affect them as much as a PvP server, then I must say that a PvP player has no right to comment because they are the ones who chose a PvP server. The road goes both ways.

+1 to you. I totally agree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    *Throws hands up in frustration* ..........why does everything need to turn into PVP vs PVE
  • Jayde_videl - Heavens Tear
    Jayde_videl - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I got no chance (or the money) to get a Midnight so until either the amount of Duke's system messages is greatly reduced or the event ends, whichever comes first, I'll be staying off PWI.
    Jayde_Videl - lvl 6x venomancer - Heavens Tear
    RainbowVidel - lvl 3x venomancer - Sanctuary