Warning Re: Safety Lock Function

Comments

• gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    i asked some ppl if i could turn it off and u cant , except put the timer back to 1 min and log out , then wait 72 hours. the thing is for me. when i log back on its still says 24h in the safety lock..

The Current Setting line will tell you what the current, and applied setting is. That value will only change after the 72 hour timer completes and the Current Setting actually changes. Just leave it alone, don't try rechanging the value, and keep waiting until 72 hours have passed since you input the setting change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blade_masta - Lost City
    Blade_masta - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I got everything fixed now. No more safety lock ^.^
  • kathim
    kathim Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    i have 11 hours to wait for the safety !?!?!??!?!! OMG !!! i try it 2 times but its not going !! how can i do that 11 hours in 1 minutes !?
  • silveralfa
    silveralfa Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I have safety lock on and it's 2h. I tryed to change, but than here come it will change in 3day.
    Do I need to be 3day online???
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • loki20
    loki20 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ok im sorry i fail to see why the safety lock doesnt have like some kind of fail safe or like some kind of reasonable off method like 72hrs to wait thats a load of BS im sorry thats just rediculous why 72hrs way not like 24hrs or something or even better how about a password to turn the thing off like i think that would make way more sence then make the person wait 72hrs for it to change cause in the mean time depending on the timer they set they cant do anything at all so i think having a password for the safety lock would be a good idea and it be your own fault that someone got ur password so your would have no way to blame or harrase the PWE team
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    It does have a failsafe. It's called reading what it does and having enough sense not to touch it.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • loki20
    edited November 2008
    dude thats not a failsafe at all like jeeze accidents happen so make no sence why they wouldnt put something to turn the thing off
  • dtz
    edited November 2008
    Because in order to turn it on you have to enter a time and click OK *TWICE*. If you turned it on accidentally, it's your own darn tootin' fault for not reading.

• loki20
    edited November 2008
    no its not my fault that it fails to tell you that you cant turn it off i set it up so my little brother didnt mess around with my guy while i was out and i come back to find i cant even undo it unless i wait 72 hours which is completely stupid and unreasonable and just to say im not blaming PWE for this I simply made a suggestion and you carried out and argument for no reason and also it makes more sence to have some way to turn it off that doesnt require you to wait some odd days cause pretty much by the looks of it you set it up and your stuck with it that makes no sence at all why have it if its guna be a hender and not a help and besides if theres a forum here for complaining about it that should indicate that alot of ppl are having problems with it and that a solution needs to be thought of to fix the problem and no not just reading before you go ahead and set the lock something alittle more effective like setting a password cause clearly some ppl made a mistake so instead of having so many other make it why not set up something to insure that the mistake/accident doesnt continue further
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    It is not going to go away as a feature.

It is a security feature to help protect a user's account in case his/her account gets **** or their user name and password gets keylogged.

Players in many parts of the world find it more affordable or enjoyable to play at gaming centers, gaming/internet cafes. These computers may not be very secure because devious people exist everywhere and keeping public computers secure is a constant struggle, this feature help protect user's accounts and monies.

So if a user won't be playing the game until Friday, they can set a time and know their account is secure even if **** until the right time for them to return to the game and log in and change their password.

PWI has a password protection system and the Safety Lock feature to help keep users accounts safe.

Some U.S. players, and others aren't use to account being protected like this yet. This thread is here to help explain it, and hopefully people will read the info about what the feature does and NOT USE IT, unless they need to.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • loki20
    edited November 2008
    well I understand that but cant there be atleast a way to turn it off like waiting 3days seems alittle ridiculous and not to mention frustrating when you cant do anything at all for the length of time that was set
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    If there was an easy way to turn it off, then it could be ****. It is hard encoded server-side for user's protection.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may bring.
  • loki20
    edited November 2008
    how can you even call it protection its causing problems like it doesnt help when you go to set it up and then you have to wait 3 days later for it to undo thats a huge inconvinence and just personaly doesnt seem to help much when you cant even enjoy a game because u locked from being able to do any and everything almost like im not trying to play a blame game im just saying that this whole safety lock system seems pretty flawed but then again thats just one opinion. I just wish that you could reset it and that was it instead of wait a 3 days which ill say again is absolutly ridiculous and now that is the end from me
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    We apologize that the feature isn't as user friendly as it could be. We have put in requests to have the confirmation messages to better explain what will happen.
  • dteo
    dteo Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    i not going to play GM u cant just delete away the safety lock now i need money i cant sell item lol pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help b:angry b:angry b:angry b:angry
    pls!!!!!!!!!!
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    PLEASE READ THE OPTIONS on stuff that you click on before you click, click, type, type, click, click, Safety Lock On!!

mjcjzmlvhk.jpg
  • loki20
    edited November 2008
    ok i thought you guys said it would only take 72hrs thats three days for the timer to change its been four days for me and nothings changed at all its still doing the 6hrs i set it for like what am i supose to do how do i get rid of it this is why there should be some other way to turn it off
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    When the Safety Lock is active, the following features are disabled:

* Trading with other players
    * Consignment Shops
    * Dropping items or coins

In addition, the following NPC services are disabled:

* Selling items to NPCs
    * Imbuing or Purifying equipment
    * Decomposing items
    * Binding or Demolishing gear
    * Auction Services
    * Mailing items
    * Trading Gold
    * Refining items
    * Dying clothes

Currently, the default setting for the Safety Lock is one minute. In other words, after logging in, you will have to wait for one minute before you are able to perform any of the above mentioned actions. The issue that many users are experiencing occurs when they change the Safety Lock duration. For instance, if you change the duration to two hours, then every time you log in, on any character, you will need to wait two hours before performing the aforementioned actions. The Safety Lock CAN NOT be deactivated before the set time has elapsed.

If you have accidentally set the Safety Lock for too long, it is possible to change it. Simply go into the Safety Lock settings and enter the new time. Keep in mind, it will take seventy-two hours of real time before the Safety Lock setting changes go into effect. If you try to change your Safety Lock settings again during this time, the seventy-two hour waiting period will restart, so please be patient. You do not have to remain logged in for the duration of this time.

Safety Lock status requires 72 hours to change. You do not need to be logged in for this time period, nor does it matter if you log in and out multiple times. The only thing that will reset that 72 hour timer is another change to the Safety Lock time boxes.

If you want to turn off safety lock status, simply put 0 hours 1 minute into the safety lock box, confirm the changes, and do not touch the safety lock boxes ever again. In three real-life days, safety lock status will be removed one minute after you log on.

Safety lock status appears to be saved on the server-side. Uninstalling and reinstalling your client is unlikely to change the status.

so I got the same problem here I put 8 hours by accident...and I wanna fix it.but everytime I fix it...when I log in again. I check the safety lock....it's agasin to 8 hours with 8 hours on the current setting.So what you mean if when I fix it, I ignore it during 3 daysEdit/Delete Message

You need to change the setting, and then leave the setting alone for 3 days (of real-world time, not caring whether you log in or log off in any combination), before changes to the Safety Lock stick.

The current setting will read the current setting, not the value you've switched it to, until the 72-hour period has passed.

To give an example, let's say I realized that my Safety Lock was set to 8 hours on Monday at 1 AM, and decided that I might want to change those. So I click Safety Lock, then type in 0 hours, 1 minute, and click the Done button, then click the Confirm button.

If I log out, then log back in at 2 AM Monday, it'll still say the current timer is at 8 hours. I DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH THIS AT THIS TIME. I can still log in, log out, play the character, play a different character, anything as long as I DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE THE SAFETY LOCK TIMER AGAIN. I can not play the account, or I can play the whole time straight.

After 1 AM Thursday, that Current Setting number would change to 0 hours, 1 minute, and stay there.

Becuase I was wondering when I saw all the time that 8 hours even if I change it.
    So I change it...ignore it and let the time pass until thatt reach 72 hours. Am I correct?

Yep. Just set it once, then leave it alone for three days of real-life time to pass.
  • zack999
    zack999 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    We appreciate your opinions, but please do not post opinions here.

That is what the other forums are for.

The Tech Support zone is for addressing tech support issues and reporting bugs.

Thanks

umm can u possibly like take it off my account, i accidentlty put it on, but now i cant get quest rewards my bank and my inv is full
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Click the Safety Lock icon, enter a 1 minute duration, confirm, and let the timer go 72 hours. You don't need to be online for that period, and can log on and off in any combination you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zack999
    zack999 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    i did,but can u take it off my all my stuff is full, i cant carry anything else, and once i hit 19 which will prolly be tomorrow i wanna no the p19 for i can get my weapon
  • Thray_walsh - Sanctuary
    Thray_walsh - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I personally think the Safety Lock idea is a stupid one for the International version of Perfect World, in my opinion!

I can understand this particular mode being used in China and other Asian countries where MMO's are commonly played in Internet cafes, but in other parts of the world like Europe and North America where this system isn't common, it'll just hold the game back in growth because people won't like having to wait 72 hours to unlock the Safety Lock, especially when they need to sell items so that they can continue to do quests or make more money to buy items for their characters.

If any GM's are reading this, please get ask the makers of the game to get rid of the Safety Lock for the International version and introduce a alternative way of blocking theft like Ragnarok, Albatross18 and other MMO's have as it'll only do a lot of bad if you keep this system instead.
  • lightningshiled
    lightningshiled Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    well indeed who made this button specially with 72H delay to recover is >>> NUT <<<<
    b:angry

i never seen such a stupid options in my whole life!!!

it means if some poor ppl mistakly put this stupid option on

and their inventory full they can't do Quests they can pickup they can do anythings except leave the game!

who ever made this options is truly Stupid personb:angryb:angry
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    I can understand your frustration but, it is a feature that has saved many people's accounts from being **** and/or having their inventories emptied out.

It has helped far more people, and kept many little brothers or other family members from messing with someone's account, then it has gotten bad feedback.

So while some of you may be frustrated at the choice you made to turn it on, please look at it as a mistake well learned so you don't make the same mistake in the future.

It takes effort to implement it, it is not a quick 1 or 2 click process to accidentally do.

mjcjzmlvhk.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I don't doubt that the system has helped a lot of people; but that's mainly in Asia where hacking of MMO's is more common.

Here in the West we don't expect to have such a frustrating system in use and it's frustrating that I can't complete a lot of my quests because I can't make space to receive the quest items and the fact that my Safety Lock timer resets itself after I get disconnected isn't doing me any favors either.

I like this game a lot but if a alternate option to deactivating the Safety Lock system isn't offered then I may seriously look at shutting my account which would be a crying shame as this game has potential except that it's ruined by such a draconian anti-hacking system...
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for your kind words, and we hope you'll stick around, but this thread has more then enough information explaining about the Safety Lock.

It seems like the Safety Lock is a violet bug light that keeps bringing in bugs close to it, but then ZAP!

Please do not assume things about our player demographics that you have no information on.
    It is not draconian. It takes 4 steps or more to enable, by your choice. It is not forced upon you.

Set it back to 1 minute. Then wait 3 days from the last time that you set it.

Then never touch it again.

If you keep messing with it and changing it, it resets the 72 hour wait timer, and you just made it start all over again. You do not have to be in-game for the timer to count down, it is server side.
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for your kind words, and we hope you'll stick around, but this thread has more then enough information explaining about the Safety Lock.

It seems like the Safety Lock is a violet bug light that keeps bringing in bugs close to it, but then ZAP!

Please do not assume things about our player demographics that you have no information on.
    It is not draconian. It takes 4 steps or more to enable, by your choice. It is not forced upon you.

Set it back to 1 minute. Then wait 3 days from the last time that you set it.

Then never touch it again.

If you keep messing with it and changing it, it resets the 72 hour wait timer, and you just made it start all over again. You do not have to be in-game for the timer to count down, it is server side.

FYI, I'm not assuming anything about your player demographics, I'm just stating the obvious about the fact that anti-hacking systems like your one just serve to frustrate players who play at home instead of helping them.

MMO's like World of Warcraft and Phantasy Star Universe didn't get popular because they had a bad security system...

I'm seriously now considering quitting my account if no solution to the Safety Lock issue isn't offered such as a email confirmation system or a system where the account holder could call to confirm their account.

I've followed the instructions to the letter but the Safety Lock still hasn't been restored and I still hate this 72-hour period that we have to wait to have our accounts unlocked.

I couldn't care less if I get banned from these forums for stating my views about this system but if PWI fails then it will be because of this draconian security system which not even Ragnarok Online has, and that's possibly the most famous MMO from Asia.
  • dtz
    edited November 2008
    I don't consider a security measure that you have to opt into to be particularly draconian. It's not forced on you. It's not on unless you tell it to be on. Since you're having problems, you obviously set it yourself, which means you either had a legitimate reason to do so, or you didn't read the big glaring warning messages and used it anyway without knowing what it did. Either way, I don't really see you as having much of a right to complain.

• darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    As per my knowledge of what I have been told, it is not going to be changed for PWI.

It is a feature not just used in gaming cafes, but at homes on family computers, friends houses, and dorms, etc; and other community PC use like setups where it helps users keep their accounts safe. Keyloggers are everywhere.

So it does help players at home, and anywhere that they play.

May I ask why did you put the safety lock on in the first place?

Did you read what it does?

Why did you enter a time?

Why did you confirm it twice?