Warning Re: Safety Lock Function

surtr
surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
edited October 2012 in Support Desk
We have had some users complain about setting the miss-setting Safety Lock.

If you have accidentally set the Safety Lock for too long, here are the steps to change it.
1. Go to the Safety Lock window
2. Set the Safety Lock time to 1 minute
3. Confirm the time change
4. Wait three days

You do not have to remain logged in during the three day period, nor will logging in/out affect this wait time. However, if you try to change your Safety Lock settings again during this time, the seventy-two hour waiting period WILL restart, so please be patient.

Currently, the default setting for the Safety Lock is one minute. In other words, after logging in, you will have to wait for one minute before you are able to perform any of the actions mentioned below. The issue that many users are experiencing occurs when they change the Safety Lock duration. For instance, if you change the duration to two hours, then every time you log in, on any character, you will need to wait two hours before performing the aforementioned actions. The Safety Lock CAN NOT be deactivated before the set time has elapsed, nor are GMs able to turn it off for you.

zomlwjtntk.jpg
==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ticoia
    ticoia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    what the means of this feature???? i just made the misteke to use that and.....guess....

i cannot play....."""!!!!!
  • th3d3stroy3r
    th3d3stroy3r Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    hi

i did the mistake and i canged it when i changed it said u need 3 days to reset and now 3 days pass and the safety lock still active i can't play like this iam getting littel by littel short of money because this lock is it will remain 4ever or what and how to deactivate or reset it because it won't reset with me plzzzzzzzzz help GM'sssssss
  • jasaya
    jasaya Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    There is no real purpose to this feature but utter annoyance. This should be taken out of the game permanently. There are already rules governing the importance of not sharing accounts and hacking (if this is what safety lock is suppossed to be used for).

Whose brilliant idea was it to put this in anyway?:mad:
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    This is a feature that is used to help protect your account, because if people access your account, they could mess up your items, sell them, maybe buy stuff with your in-game money, or charge your account for ZEN, and a whole bunch of other havoc that can be caused if you left the game up, and you have room mates or family members that might take the opportunity to manipulate your account.

This also helps to keep people out of your account if your account did get into someone else's control, you could guarantee yourself a set time frame to keep your account safe until later.

Don't click on it, don't enter a time. :D
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • adventcloud
    adventcloud Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    i had the character lock on here IS HOW TO FIX IT

when you log on you may want to change the time everytime because its not working and goes back to whatever you put but dont do that it resets your 3 days just set it one to 1 minute or whatever you want and leave it if you get kicked off DONT change it next time you log on just rough it out after 72 hours your time will be back to 1 minute i promise it will kick you off the game when the 72 hours pass then enjoy the freedom of being able to empty your inventory
  • cyndian
    cyndian Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I agree with Jasaya. The Safety Lock has done nothing but wasted time and should be removed. If you guys cant remove it, at least put on an ON or OFF Function to it. Make it easier for people to understand. Use BIG/B] words. Its already wasted like a week of playtime for me because Ive been trying to figure it out. Admin's should seriously consider either of my suggestions
    Older men declare war, but it is the youth that must fight and die.

-Herbert Hoover
  • onewingangel
    onewingangel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Im sorry but it should be a way to turn it on and off because once you have turned it on you just pretty much stuck >.>

b:angry
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2008
    The Safety Lock is there as a means of extra security in case your account information gets compromised, or you are afraid it might until you can login to play again.

It gives you a warning. You have to enter in a time and then confirm it. It gives you two times to cancel it before the Safety Lock is turned on for whatever time you entered.

I do not see this feature going away with this title.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    So basically you opened the safety lock window, didn't read it, entered in some random numbers, then didn't read the warning and clicked OK anyway? And you're saying it's PWE's fault that you screwed up your game because you did something without reading what it did first? Would you complain about being shot after not reading a "Trespassers Will be Shot" sign?
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • smokeblunt
    smokeblunt Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    wat is the point of the lock it really really stupid n point less if some 1 got **** r scam it their own fault let dem learn from their own dumb mistake they did. the endb:laugh
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2008
    We appreciate your opinions, but please do not post opinions here.

That is what the other forums are for.

The Tech Support zone is for addressing tech support issues and reporting bugs.

Thanks
  • monoftalm
    monoftalm Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Very nice,
    I did not know that i should just type once and wait 72h because ONLY GM can tell you that.
    Nowhere whatsoever is written in the safe lock menu how to disable it or reset it after 72h - which is very bad, you can add that line of *txt in no time.
    And i need to wait for another 3 days coz i have typed time change few times now
    I will probablly go online now and hope I dont get DC.

Note:
    You can also set ti on passport, like in safe keep
    <3
  • khui
    khui Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I did the same thing, Now i have to wait 24hrs before trading and stuff. I don't want to start over and i don't want to wait. Is there another way we could do this? Like I'm still low level so i don't think anyone wants to steal my account anyways, i have nothing of value. So is it possible you guys can put in a. Password thingy instead of safety lock, or safety lock with an on/off button.
  • kureskok
    kureskok Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have the same problem :/ and i can't off them...
    This is stupid thing with this "sefety lock" please reset time in sefety lock, becouse i can't play :(
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2008
    Hopefully this graphic loads right for you all. It shows you how the Safety Lock function works, and it explains how to NOT set it up.

It takes effort to implement it, it is not a quick 1 or 2 click process to accidentally do.

mjcjzmlvhk.jpg
  • monoftalm
    monoftalm Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    ''Listed functions will not be available for X hours of-in game after each log-in
    Are you sure you want to proceed?''

Well, I dont speak native english but the short and narrow (if I may say) explanation of the function: ''of-in game after each log-in'' is just not clear enough for I would say at least 80% of the mature players.

That line should be included in as a warrning!
    And should point out most important thing - that you will be Forced to wait ONLINE the WHOLE time of the SAFE LOCK TIME SET and that the time that have passed online before the safe lock time run off - Will not be counted next time you log in, so that you will have to wait another FULL time of the safe lock timer and beg god not to get DC or system crash.

AND THAT 72h PERIOD IS NEEDED TO WAIT SAFE LOCK TO RESET OR SET ON A DIFFERENT TIME SCALE (for example 1min) ONLY IF YOU SET THE NEW TIME ONCE AND ONLY ONCE. Each time you press it again the timer will reset to 72h again and you will have to wait another 72 hours.

Just, more simple and a bit longer. First of all, i locked up my second and not main character, and my main character was locked - that dont say in the message,

Now, I am really sorry if this sounds to hard, coz I bet you guys do (and i saw it) a very good job - very good. But this thing with the safe lock really messed up my game coz i did not read the first ''of-in game after each log-in'' line good and did not understand it clearlly. Also I dont understand why the timer resets each time you log off or get a CTD. That is not needed really.

Ty for your time

mono
    <3
  • darthpanda16
    edited October 2008
    Ok, but leading up to that point, what made you click the Safety Lock button?

Did you read what it does?

What made you enter in a time?

What made you Click Done?

What made you click Confirm?

Thank you for pointing out the last dialog message, it has been passed on.

b:pleased
  • Blade_masta - Lost City
    Blade_masta - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I can't quest because my inventory is full and won't let me sell/drop or trade! I can't do **** in this game anymore. Please MAKE A ON/OFF switch. When we play, we can turn off the safety lock because we are on. When we want to go back off, we can turn on safety lock. See how it all works?

Matter of fact, why not remove the feature. No one can **** into our account anyways, I mean we all putted a very good password and username. 72 hours/3 days is long. No one can leave the computer/perfect world on.
    edited October 2008
    What happens if I uninstalled PerfectWorld then reinstalled? Would the safety lock still be locked?
    I can't quest because my inventory is full and won't let me sell/drop or trade! I can't do **** in this game anymore. Please MAKE A ON/OFF switch. When we play, we can turn off the safety lock because we are on. When we want to go back off, we can turn on safety lock. See how it all works?

Matter of fact, why not remove the feature. No one can **** into our account anyways, I mean we all putted a very good password and username. 72 hours/3 days is long. No one can leave the computer/perfect world on.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I'll try to be clear on this matter. Safety Lock status requires 72 hours to change. You do not need to be logged in for this time period, nor does it matter if you log in and out multiple times. The only thing that will reset that 72 hour timer is another change to the Safety Lock time boxes.

If you want to turn off safety lock status, simply put 0 hours 1 minute into the safety lock box, confirm the changes, and do not touch the safety lock boxes ever again. In three real-life days, safety lock status will be removed one minute after you log on.

Safety lock status appears to be saved on the server-side. Uninstalling and reinstalling your client is unlikely to change the status.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lunarwolf17
    lunarwolf17 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    so I got the same problem here
    I put 8 hours by accident...and I wanna fix it.
    but everytime I fix it...when I log in again. I check the safety lock....it's agasin to 8 hours with 8 hours on the current setting.
    So what you mean if when I fix it, I ignore it during 3 days
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    You need to change the setting, and then leave the setting alone for 3 days (of real-world time, not caring whether you log in or log off in any combination), before changes to the Safety Lock stick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lunarwolf17
    edited October 2008
    did I habe to saty log in?
    becuase when I log out and log in after...the current setting is always 8 hours
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    You do not need to Safe Log in. Safe Log is intended to reconnect you after a server disconnect or network error.

The current setting will read the current setting, not the value you've switched it to, until the 72-hour period has passed.

To give an example, let's say I realized that my Safety Lock was set to 8 hours on Monday at 1 AM, and decided that I might want to change those. So I click Safety Lock, then type in 0 hours, 1 minute, and click the Done button, then click the Confirm button.

If I log out, then log back in at 2 AM Monday, it'll still say the current timer is at 8 hours. I DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH THIS AT THIS TIME. I can still log in, log out, play the character, play a different character, anything as long as I DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE THE SAFETY LOCK TIMER AGAIN. I can not play the account, or I can play the whole time straight.

After 1 AM Thursday, that Current Setting number would change to 0 hours, 1 minute, and stay there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lunarwolf17
    edited October 2008
    aww..ok thank you .
    Becuase I was wondering when I saw all the time that 8 hours even if I change it.
    So I change it...ignore it and let the time pass until thatt reach 72 hours. Am I correct?
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    Yep. Just set it once, then leave it alone for three days of real-life time to pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I am in-game now, I set my time to 0 hours 1 minute as you said. So, I just have to wait 72 hours(3 days irl) for it to actually change? Yeah, well some people can't leave the compy/pw on so how is this possible for me? I don't know if this is what your trying to say. Also if I were to re-log, the time will change back to 24 hours 59 minutes as before, or is it server side. I'll try not to play pw for 2 to 3 days and see what happens. Because this happened to be about 1 or 2 days ago.
  • khui
    khui Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ok i set my safety lock for 24hrs, accidentally. Then i reset it to 1min.
    Waited 25hrs just to make sure. I saw the safety lock go off b:pleased.
    Then when i logged off and came back the safety lock went back to 24hrs. b:sad

I can't play another character even i wanted too because the safety lock effects your entire account.
    So I'm stuck. I have 2 brothers that are waiting for me to play with them. b:sad

So what can i do? Please help me!
    Like if you guys can just reset my safety lock back to default.

Please!
  • Konina - Sanctuary
    Konina - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    ****. I activated it by accident too. And now i have to wait 72 hours for a reset? You gotta be f**king kidding me. I want to play the game damn it. Is there no other way do turn it off? Can't the GM's turn it off pls?
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    You can log in or out of the server any number of times, and in any combination. You can play entirely normally, or spend an hour logging in and out as fast as you can, or anything else. The only thing you must not do is touch the Safety Lock timer again until 72 hours go through.

The Current Setting number will tell you what the current setting is, not what you're trying to change things to, but that does not reset the 72-hour timer, and does not mean the setting you are aiming for is being ignored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]