Client Download & related FAQs

Options
severan
severan Posts: 703 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Support Desk
Ok here's a list of common mistakes and FAQs but before you ask any of these questions please read the installation guide by Ryuuzaki

Q: Huh?
A: Perfect World International client download and installation GUIDE by Ryuuzaki

Q: Where can i download the client from?
A: The official download link can be found here at the website

Q: What is a torrent?
A: Torrent is a small file (around few kilobytes) with the suffix .torrent, which contains all the information needed to download a file the torrent was made for. That means it contains file names, their sizes, where to download from and so on.

Q: How can i download the client using this torrent?
A: Downloading with a torrent is actually very simple. You just need a rightly set torrent client (setting your connection speed is usually all you need to set). Then you open the torrent file inside your client, set a place where you want to download desired files and then just wait till it's downloaded. Downloading with a torrent is no more complicated than using any other p2p application, but even simpler.

Q: Great, give me some tools to download the client from the torrent!!
A: Azureus - 3.0.5.0 (7.5 MB) *updated*
uTorrent - 1.8 (220 KB) *updated*

Q: I don't like their custom client download tool, i have a pro download manager, i want to download the official client using that from the official website!
A: Link

Q: I finished downloading the client, what next?
A: Trace the folder to to which you have downloaded the zip file to, extract the contents of the ZIP file to a new folder. Run the installation file from the extracted files

Q: I have downloaded the (zip) file, but i can't open it. help me!
A: You need a archiver tool like Win RAR to extract the client. If you are using your native windows XP zip tool, please try using WinRAR or WinACE or this open source free to download 7-zip archiver

Q: I get an error saying "<filename>.extension" is corrupted. what do i do now? (mostly data4.pck)
A:
soukyuu wrote:
- get a torrent client
- download the torrent from the main page
- rename your Perfect_World_International.zip to Perfect World International.zip
- open the torrent with the torrent client
- when it asks you where to put the file, point to the folder your .zip is in.

it will check the files and re-download the parts that are corrupt.

Another option is to re download the whole thing from HTTP again. Which obviously will take longer & you are running th risk to get a corrupted file again

Q: I cannot install the client
A: You need to have administrator account privileges for your windows xp user account to install the client. If you are not using an admin account, please contact your tech support.

Q: I get runtime error while i execute the game
A: Does your system configuration meet the game's minimum system requirements? please check here

Q: My visual display of the game is messed up
A: Update your graphics card driver to the latest version. Also check and see if you're DirectX is compatible with the minimum system requirements
to see what version of directx you have, type "dxdiag" in your run dialog (Start -> Run)

Q: I see a list of Servers, Which server must i choose?
A: It's your choice ;)

Q: When i execute the game, 1 more weird application runs along with it. what is it?
A: well it could be what this player is talking about
PWI's password protection mini-app runs with the game too, make sure you allow it with your anti-virus program. It helps protect against keyloggers when you login to your game.

If you don't allow it, you may wind up not being able to access your PC or use keyboard at all.
Q: I cant log into the server, why?
A: check your calender and find out what date it is today... the Closed Beta begins only on August 19th PST

Q: OMGWTFHAX i got an error that is not listed in this FAQ!
A: Post in this section about it, there are lots of players who will help you out. If you find trouble explaining you error, take a screen shot of that error and post it here to explain it better. Do check in, i'll be updating it as and when i can

some expert advice ;)
To conquer those corrupted files
soukyuu wrote:
If it still says the files are corrupted after downloading with torrent, then it means it's your PC that is at fault.
Torrent downloads never give corrupted files simply because every downloaded part gets checked with a unique checksum.

Try force re-checking your .zip file in the torrent client, then use 7zip for extraction.

Torrent client issues
ren wrote:
uTorrent 1.8 sucks. I didn't realize at first, but 1.8 enforces a cap ratio, **** download speed to hell. They also made it so you can't cap it externally.
If people stop using uTorrent, maybe they will undo that **** change.

1.7.7 is still fine, but it has security flaws. I refuse to use uTorrent at all on principle, so I switched to x64 azureus.
Xuse said Deluge is comparable to old uTorrent, I haven't tried it.
Sever: Lost City
Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
Post edited by severan on

Comments

• soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks for compiling the FAQ, now if an admin would sticky this...
    I also wanted to add this link to a post with some info about torrents, so that no (well, ok, less) people complain abot low torrent speeds

[url=http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=9971
    Edit/Delete Message]Some info about torrents[/url]
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tsuko
    tsuko Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think the file data4.pck keeps getting corrupted when i download it, tried from 3 different sources still... now i'm downloading it again (through utorrent, but not the data1.pck,..2,..3 files).
    corrupted, can't extract etcetc are you aware of this?
  • soukyuu
    edited August 2008
    Options
    it was a known problem on my-en.. if you are sure the file is not corrupt, do the following:

- get this tool
    - start it, select "create checksum"
    - open your data4.pck
    - copy the sequence of numbers and letters it gives you (click cancel on notepad prompt)
    - go to where your extracted client is
    - open the install.ini and scroll to the bottom where you see this:
    [md5code]
    count=4
    pck1=3ee3d6462e744c15cce18e7a490506ce
    pck2=78e0af50d5edb63f3f7792efd7bfaffa
    pck3=9956254ed23d07f45aec2dd01594539e
    pck4=f61a94660b0033335df586f708d12035

- now, replace the sequence listed under pck4 with the one you got.
    - save the file
    - install the game

Be warned though, if the pck4 is really corrupt, you will end up with a corrupt install.
    You might still fix it if you click on "verify" on the patcher screen (patch servers have to be online for this)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Have you tried:

1) updating your extraction software. Out of date versions may give you an error.
    2) using different extraction software (7zip, WinRAR, WinZip, WinAce to name a few).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I personally wouldn't use severan's links since it's not the official client pages, and his utorrent link is 1 version outdated.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.utorrent.com/download.php (latest is 1.8)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't use severan's links since it's not the official client pages, and his utorrent link is 1 version outdated.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.utorrent.com/download.php (latest is 1.8)

thanks.. changed ^^

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • rex
    rex Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I downloaded everything which took like 5 hours on a direct download from the site itself ( perfect world international) but when i open the zipped folder and try to extract it, it goes to 6 bars and just freezes then when i open the extracted some files are missing... and i can't run it. Some one help me please.. Oh and i use the Extraction Wizard... or something with wizard in it. Help me please! :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Download the latest copy of WinRAR or 7-Zip. Install one of those and try using that to extract the files.

Oh, and *stickied* :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    1) Click onto the downloads section: http://www.perfectworld.com/download

2) Choose a download method.

There are several options available. Under Game Client Download you can choose a direct download, or bit torrent download. There are also several mirror site download locations (please refer to each site's individual download instructions - some may require membership).

The Direct Download will prompt you to download the Perfect World International download utility. This is a specific download manager that can pause the download of the installation pack to be resumed later, if necessary.
    By default, it will download to your My Documents\Downloads\ folder as Perfect_World_International.zip

The Bit Torrent Download requires a bit torrent program, such as uTorrent or whatever you may already have installed. You can choose your own download location from within the program.

3) Extract the files (it is recommended you have 7 Gigabytes or more available on your hard drive at this point).
    Once you have downloaded the whole Perfect World International zip file, you need to extract the files into a folder in order to install. Due to the large size of the files inside, it is recommended you use the latest version of the decompression software to perform the extraction. Please download either the latest version of 7-zip or a trial copy of WinRAR 3.71.

Locate the Perfect World International zip file that you downloaded in step 2. Right-click the file and select "Extract to Perfect World International\". This will extract all the files from the zip archive into their own Perfect World International folder. If you're using 7-zip, right-click and follow the 7-zip submenu to the right, and select "Extract Files, and click OK on the following screen.

Note: If you are getting errors about corrupt files/data packs, it is recommended that you update your decompression software. Please try one of the latest available programs linked in step 3. An alternative method to correct file errors will follow at the end of this guide.

4) Locate the Install.exe file inside the Perfect World International folder.
    Double-click to run it, and follow the onscreen prompts. It is recommended that you validate the integrity of the files.

Alternative Method for Corrupt Files using Direct Download

If you used the Dircet Download method, rename the zip file you already downloaded to "Perfect World International.zip" (i.e. remove the underscores).

Download a bit torrent program, such as uTorrent.
    Click this link to download the torrent: http://download.perfectworld.com/pwi/clients/Perfect_World_International.torrent and open it with your torrent program.

You should then be asked where you want to save the file. Browse to the directory where the original Perfect World International.zip file is located, and click OK. The torrent program should then start checking the integrity of the file and correct any corrupted files. You can also right-click on the file in the download area, and select Force Re-check to make extra sure.

Follow steps 3 and 4 above to extract the files and install the game.

Alternate Method #2 (thanks espionis)

Create a new folder. Then double click the Perfect World International zip file to open it. Click and drag the files into the new folder you created.

If you're still having issues, particularly with data4.pck, I have rezipped and uploaded this to: http://files.filefront.com/data4zip/;11517693;/fileinfo.html
    Open your existing archive, and click/drag all the files except data4.pck into another folder. Download data4.zip and extract into that same folder, then run the install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rex
    edited August 2008
    Options
    YESSS -napoleon dynamite style- i finally installed it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rex
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i mean: i have to buy the new extraction program? or can i upgrade the one i already have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rex
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Can you guys take a look at this program and tell me if this ones ok?

http://register.speeditupfree-downlo...3-a7227ef208e7
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rex wrote: »
    Can you guys take a look at this program and tell me if this ones ok?

http://register.speeditupfree-downlo...3-a7227ef208e7

Link doesn't work, and uTorrent/azureus are the best torrent clients.
    Best HTTP download accelerator/manager is ReGet (not free, though).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • soukyuu
    edited August 2008
    Options
    7zip is 100% free
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ishy
    ishy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    My download is always terminated at 2 GB :((
  • xiondragon20
    xiondragon20 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i seem to have a currupt file part 4 from 2 diffrent downloads so its not me. both of them keep saying that anyone eles having same problem?
  • mas
    mas Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the tutorial ryuuzaki :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    いっしょにヴェスパでとうきょうにいきましょうか?
  • coldvictim
    coldvictim Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i seem to have a currupt file part 4 from 2 diffrent downloads so its not me. both of them keep saying that anyone eles having same problem?

im having the same bs i downloaded the game 4 times now using all different methods all official, also got latest winRAR which doesnt effect it. Something about part 4 is corrupt blah blah i never had this much trouble with a download in my life.....so i ask you simply wth is going on and why me?
  • czajan
    czajan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    to any1 who's client works well and data4.pck is not corrupted:

please host this fawking file on http://www.megaupload.com/en/

okas?

ty
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    It's already hosted on FileFront, and has been for a couple of days now: http://files.filefront.com/data4zip/;11517693;/fileinfo.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kammie
    kammie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    the bittorrent trick u have listed as it says might not work, it the worst case (if user does somethong wrong) it will redownload the entire client

better way:

1. download the torrent
    2. double click it, or just open it with utorrent
    3. LET IT DOWNLOAD FOR LIKE 1 MB ---> this way, utorrent generates the entire file
    4. now close utorrent and the download
    5. copy your corrupted zip file that you have downloaded before to the folder that utorrent created and overwrite that file
    6. open utorrent but do NOT start the download, instead rehash it by right clicking and selecting 'forece recheck' (or something like this, currently do not have bittorrent client installed)
    7. after awhile (about 3 minutes if u have a fast computer) it should say u have near 100% download
    8. continue download
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • czajan
    czajan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    oh, OKAS

thx

hope no viruses there ^___^
  • longfirm13
    longfirm13 Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You are god for uploading data4. Many thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emzy
    emzy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    anyone got any troubles with data4.pck just follow this instruction. IT WORKS !!! Thx Ryuuzaki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loughman
    loughman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I keep trying to unzip thefiles and all I get is a WinRAR Diagnostic box saying that "[file name].zip: The archive is either in an unknown format or damaged" Ive been trying for around 3 days now to download this thing and Im trying to stay home tomorrow for this thing, but if the download doesnt work that will have been a COMPLETE waste. PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!! ToT
  • next
    next Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You need the new winrar for it :)
  • loughman
    loughman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    next wrote: »
    You need the new winrar for it :)

Well how do I get that, and then how do I use it?
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    Options
    loughman wrote: »
    Well how do I get that, and then how do I use it?
    google it, purchase it, download it, install it and then run it

or use 7-Zip, download it, install it and run it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• magicdevil
    magicdevil Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Thanks helped me a lot! :D
  • aodh
    aodh Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    whenever I try to download the bittorrent file (not unzip, download the zip file)

I get en error listing the date and time that says

got bad file info - bad bencoded data.

So I cant dl the bittorrent file, and my other bittorrent client (I have 2 different ones) doesnt work either, but i'm currently downloading it through direct download, so hopefully that works. (the file planet one I tried to download wouldn't work either)
This discussion has been closed.