test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    cdnbison said:

The main thing, though, is that the Loyal gear was *very* good, so should command a similar price in play. Being able to have a level 4 alt wander in to PE, hit the shared bank, and walk away with 4500 stat points for some gold is pretty cheap. An investment of, say 1500-ish Protector Seals - that is something a player worked for, through gameplay.

To be fair, this is imo more of a showing that the entire companion system isn't really balanced well w/ respect to leveling. Its not really logical for a low level to be able to immediately equip a companion w/ lvl 70 loyal gear and get full stats from that. But I suppose them implementing a more robust scaling system w/ player levels vs. companion stats is too much work at this point for a (likely) low priority issue.

I just wanted to say I too am sad about Gateway going down.

I had lots of fun playing Sword Coast Adventures -- I'd often play during lunch hour (it's a lot easier to play SCA while holding a sandwich than to play NW itself!). For some weird reason, I liked to roleplay more in SCA than in regular NW -- I'd send my Honey Badger into too-tough opponents because "he didn't care", or have my Galeb Duhr fight enemies armed with swords because his rocky skin would protect him (note for those who didn't play SCA: this is NOT a mechanic in the game!).

I understand why people here felt it had to go (in the end, I was reluctantly convinced myself). The bots that were hitting Gateway were thereby hitting the real game -- that's because the things Gateway does involve the real game. If you look at your gear, you're looking at your gear in the real game. If you do a profession task, you do it in the real game. If your companion gains XP, it gains it in the real game. That means botters were hitting the real game servers by hitting Gateway. This kept happening, then getting fixed, then happening again. ...
    -snip-

I assume you guys aren't detailing much about Loyal gear implementation in the future because you haven't yet ironed that out? Fair enough, if so.. Though this whole 'dismantling before mapping out all compensation' approach you guys appear to be doing is hurting us more than just in the shutting down of systems like this.

Also, what do you say to players losing Gateway for satellite functions that provide no major or direct effect in-game? Like checking on character profiles and viewing (not interacting with) inventory or professions? Other MMOs manage these sort of QoL/spectator features for players that can't always be in game or have others online. Is it too much to ask that you preserve them in some way?

.. Because another approach is keeping Gateway, but axing all direct effects/rewards to the game itself. ie. SCA is just for show and offers no direct rewards- just a side-game to pass time. You can view professions, but not collect/change/manage them. Etc.. Sure, far less people will engage then, but I can't see the cost of keeping the lights on for that being too burdensome - esp once the Ebil Bot Brigade (tm) is disengaged from it.

(also, afaik Elder Signs is not free and not set in DnD, so its kinda weird seeing that recommended here)
    Post edited by flowcyto on
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2016

will you guys fix crafting so it doesnt take forever to progress a skill since you will not beable to work on it unless you are in game?

Improving professions is something near and dear to a few of us. I would like to have an update on it within the next few modules. There is nothing planned yet but there is a lot of missed potential with how it currently is in a number of ways.

@andorrabell We have not yet decided a place for the SCA rewards yet, we still need to review where they would fit and make the time to do it at a time that makes sense. I don't think the community would appreciate waiting another week just to hear where we will put the rewards that they can't get yet,
  • khareqanwikhareqanwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User

I agree with this. It takes me 10 to 20 minutes longer just doing it through game, although i'm getting better at it. Really, what adds the extra time is the character swap and a little bit the UI for crafting. I honestly don't understand why I have to click a thing twice to start it.... There are ways to make the UI for crafting better, its just a matter of Cryptic allocated the resources and people power to get it done.

This and lots of other simular posts miss the point. At lunch, on a break, I can use my phone or tablet to do professions when I don't have access to a PC. If I have a PC then I want to play the game. The gateway lets me do game stuff when I am not at home. Killing it, making invoke 6/times a day, and all the other 'fixes' just take away time from actually playing the game. I can't just get in a dungeon, I have to queue. While waiting, I can use the gateway. Its a better, lower load interface.

Count me as another person with 20+ years doing software (my grad work was in algorithm optimization and performance) who would volunteer to help improve the game. 'Pay' me and others (with in game stuff) who would sign an NDA and we will spend time tagging bots. We do a bad job, you 'fire' us. Find some people who do a good job of identifying bot behavior to the point you trust them and them them instantly block accounts and IPs for short periods.

If it was just botting that was the issue 80% could be stopped fairly cheaply.
  • darthbbqdarthbbq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    So when is the next "80% Off all Character Slot" sale?

Guild Leader- Fair Dinkum 2.0

• genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    empalas said:

So they made the companion blue...its still worthless to me. Too much AD to upgrade it for it to be worth anything and its not worth the AD to upgrade. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been here since day 1 that thinks its trash

i have been here since day 1as well. i agree companion is useless still even blue. purple would have been fair legend would have been a cool bragging right, though i would still never use it in combat.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    @rgutscheradev I appreciate that you shared your feelings about the gateway in a frank manner. Even when hearing bad news, genuine communication goes a long way toward maintaining goodwill.

The bots that were hitting Gateway were thereby hitting the real game -- that's because the things Gateway does involve the real game.

With all due respect, you can turn that apparent weakness into an advantage. It is nearly impossible to counter automation of your user interface. Place your most significant anti-botting efforts in the logic layer of your application - the one that provides services such as auction house and professions to the user interfaces. If you do that cleverly, you'll find that you don't need to do that much to prevent the pro-botters from achieving their goals. You would need to make a separate decision about the active, real players that also bot.

Can botters try stuff like this in the real game? Sure, but it's a lot harder.

It is not harder for professional botters. Off-the-shelf UI automation tools (the kind frequently used for QA automation) can easily automate the game client. From the experience you had when you removed Leadership from the gateway, I would assume the pro-botters already have that technology. From the lag, especially related to the login server, that I see widely discussed in-game (and experienced myself at times), I strongly suspect the pro's have already deployed it.

You can do some very simple things to effectively and reliably squash the /zone and in-game mail advertisement for real money transactions. I suspect without that constant marketing message, far fewer players would spend money on RMT websites. That would make Neverwinter the harder mark, meaning pro bot resources would tend to move to easier games, and it would increase the probability that those same players would spend that money on you. I can help with this part, if you let me.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
    edited September 2016

Let me just say this:

I don't care too much about SCA (I'd stopped running it a long time ago), though I do think it's important that we keep access to the loyal items (for newer players).

What's bothered me the most about not having the gateway though is just how CLUNKY managing professions in game is. The gateway was always more responsive, meaning that even though I had to do the same number of clicks each way, it felt much much faster. Changing between characters was a great deal easier, and even simply collecting rewards.

I suppose professions SHOULD feel like a chore, but I personally have changed to only handling the multi-day professions as of late (for better or for worse)

do what others did, delete half or more of your characters... obviously that is your best option if you don't want the hassle.
    not a chore... a full time job =(
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

So I just started doing crafts, how am I supposed to progress now? By the time I get one skill to 25 I will have gotten board of the game and stopped playing long ago. Are you going to fix the crafting system so that it works without needing the gateway?

If it was easy, everyone would do it....

You can do it manually, believe it or not. And yes, it will take time. Leadership especially. But you're not the only person to have levelled up a profession. If anything, it'll be easier for you, as assets are dirt cheap as compared to when the game was released.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    panderus said:

will you guys fix crafting so it doesnt take forever to progress a skill since you will not beable to work on it unless you are in game?

Improving professions is something near and dear to a few of us. I would like to have an update on it within the next few modules. There is nothing planned yet but there is a lot of missed potential with how it currently is in a number of ways.
    Got it. We know what that means.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User
    I just have no words for this. Too much to complain about at once. I don't even know why I bother anymore...
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    what a joke lol
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).
    panderus said:

@andorrabell We have not yet decided a place for the SCA rewards yet, we still need to review where they would fit and make the time to do it at a time that makes sense. I don't think the community would appreciate waiting another week just to hear where we will put the rewards that they can't get yet,
    why not make an npc we can talk to that will let us play the sca in game? not sure who suggested that idea but i like it.
  • haotaushaotaus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    I feel the need to chime in on this thread just because I loved how I was able to check on my game while away and able to play SCA while I had free time.. I will admit I did keep and buy certain pets in order to do the SCA Tier 6 while I don't regret that I mean I got some cool stuff from it. I farmed SCA but I did it for myself, never saw that thief would have sold it. But I will admit I loved SCA also because I would say 'I choose you...' (yeah of that group of people) and my favorite pet was my Argos (named after a faithful pet from the Iliad and the Odyssey) a Skeletal Dog from the very beginning of the game I have had this pet since I have even started playing this game. I saved up AD for it even upgraded it when they added that feature, I love this pet of mine and now he is my Bonding Augment. With SCA Argos was my catch all there were few things he couldn't do and it made me like doing SCA even more...even if I barely got anything cool...I mean I have done SCA easily 50+ times and only seen one Loyal Avenger Ring and kept it.
    So I will miss this feature very much and glad to hear how we will get our free pet..I know we shouldn't complain about something we are getting for free but I wish it was a little better. I do love the look and pet type (i.e. augment) but I think it should at least be Purple and a really cool and effective bonus. I would give a suggestion but I can't think of one not that you would change that now..

However if you developers see nothing but this sentence please consider this, have the Loyal gear drop in the Stronghold Heroic Encounters and if you do make them BoA please also make said gear salvageable.

Here's to the hope of seeing the loot of SCA appear in-game sooner rather than later, also I would much rather see these rewards than a new class, race, or even a new module. I can't wait to see a new class or race but I hope you fix the hole gateway is leaving us first..
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Silvergriffon's Holistic Suggestion Agency

OK, so Gateway is gone. We've lost some QoL stuff, and some items no longer have a home. Here's all my suggestions on the topic, many of which echo or resemble those that others have already given.

Short Term Workarounds
    Add Companion Gear and Lightfoot Thief to the Trade Bar store. If you don't want to make them that easy to get, then create a recurring event instead of leaving them in there all the time. " The Lightfoot Thieve's Guild has been hard at work again and some of their best loot is available in the Tradebar Store for a limited time. You could even obtain the services of one of their members if the price is right!"

A Double RP event would be appreciated as well.

Long Term Suggestions
    Professions Re-work: It's time to add some serious QoL enhancements to Professions. It's also a good time to encourage the use of ALL Professions again.

Professions and Bound RP
    There has been a growing fear lately that you are going to make all Profession RP BtA. I offer a compromise. Make the BtC Containers that the stones come in usable as RP directly, but you can choose to open them to share or sell the unbound stones inside. The catch is that using the character bound container will be a better return on average than you will get out of the stones inside. For example, I suggest that a Resonant Bag could be used as 4,000 refinement points. Opening the bag has a chance to give you a blue stone worth 5,000 RP, but is much more likely to give you a green one worth 2,500 RP or a gray one worth only 500. This will, on average, increase the amount of RP a character can gather for themselves while still making a supply available on the AH or to share. Artifact Paraphernalia bags would grant 4,000 to any Artifact whether it be Power, Stability, or Union.

Nodes and Resources
    • Remove Mount Insignia from resource nodes. See Leadership, below.
    • Remove rare (blue) and epic (purple) profession resources from resource nodes.
    • Add bounty and campaign currency items appropriate to the zone the resource nodes are in.
    • Add uncommon (green), rare (blue), and epic (purple) profession resources to the bounty, campaign currency and maybe seal vendors (based on zone or content level).

All Professions
    • Add "Collect All" Button.
    • Add "Repeat" checkbox next to the Collect buttons, including new Collect All. This would attempt to re-queue the same task using the same assets. It would require interaction with the button though, not be an infinite repeat button.

Leadership
    Revamp Leadership to actually reflect being a leader. Rewards should be relevant to those you lead: your mounts and companions. Leadership should not be the primary way to upgrade your gear when we have other Professions that are specifically about gear.
    • Remove RP tasks from Leadership.
    • Add tasks that reward Companion XP Tomes.
    • Add tasks that reward Companion Upgrade Tokens.
    • Add "Mounted Combat Drill" task that rewards containers with random Mount Insignia inside.
    • Add "Dead or Alive" tasks that send soldiers into various Zones to collect the Bounty items for that zone.
    • Add a "Recruitment Drive" task that rewards a container that holds a random Event Companion, including a chance for the Lightfoot Thief.
    • Add tasks that reward the same Bags of Goods that drop from Quartermaster's enchantments. (Donate to stronghold or open for goods.)

Alchemy
    • Add a task that rewards Thaumaturgic Bags.
    Artificing
    • Add a task that rewards Artifact Paraphernalia bags.
    Jewelcrafting
    • Add tasks that reward "Gemstone" RP (Sapphires, Pearls, Rubies, Peridot).
    Leatherworking/Tailoring/Mailsmithing/Platesmithing/Weaponsmithing
    • Add a task that rewards Resonant Bags.

Longer Term Suggestions
    Account Panel
    Create an account panel that shows all your characters, like the guild roster. Select any character to do all of the following:
    • Manage the professions queue of any character.
    • View the character sheet, mail, and inventory of all characters.
    • VIP accounts get a fully functional version of mail as if at a mailbox.
    • VIP accounts get an Account Bank tab.
    • VIP accounts can move items and gold from any character's inventory in and out of the Account Bank.
    • Also add AD to the Account bank for VIPs so they can move or consolidate it without the ZAX.

SCA Mini-Game
    Make Sword Coast Adventures a mini-game playable in game. Possibly launched by interacting with a Well-Informed Harper since they tend to hang out in taverns where one might play games. If it's too server intensive, maybe make it available occasionally as an event.​​
  • tashiaserenetashiaserene Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    If you were having that much trouble with the Gateway you should have made it a subscription service like part of VIP.

It was so useful for guild management.

I could easily manage inactive accounts, copy and paste guild mail, check the AH from my phone....

Not pleased....

• aro71aro71 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    so dumb, i actually enjoyed the dice game thoroughly.. i wish tht coulda been made into a standalone. def is a bummer, gateway was one of the more unique and enjoyable features of NW. if there is anything tht could be done to save it, i would strongly suggest to look upon those avenues
  • thecorpserthecorpser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    SOME regret? First you screw over people that paid for VIP by removing invoke, now you take away Gateway. Get professional, kids.
  • thecorpserthecorpser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    Seriously? The word sc.rew is changed to kitten?
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Another measure against "bots" and yet it only affects very negative way to us players. (ok i'm not really playing anymore)
    Shutting down gateway would only do one thing -> more profit to botters.
    ZAX ratio will stay same, price's surely ain't gonna drop and regular players will earn less (yet again)
    Right now this game offers nothing to stand against another mmo's... and sadly they do things a LOT better.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    A couple other thoughts:
    1.) Having the leadership profession actually have something to do with leadership, like acquiring certain companions and equipping them, seems to make stupid good sense. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me, but using leadership to slowly acquire companion upgrade tokens (kinda like Unified Elements) seems to make great sense too. When I started playing this game in ye olden times, I assumed leadership was gonna be about companions. Really, SCA felt closer to what I always thought leadership should have strived for to begin with.

2.) If SCA ever does somehow make it's way into the game directly (I'm not holding my breath), putting it in taverns like the job (foundry) boards would also make tons of sense. It could be like a Respen's Game lite, year round. For that matter, why don't we have a card mini-game like 3 Dragon Ante?!!
  • istarinistarin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    Can we get a cool title out of this like 'Caturday Survivor'?

I suggest 'Gatecrasher'
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    panderus said:

next few modules?? it terms of months this is at least 8 months away?
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • patches#6130 patches Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    <how do we get new pet jewelry now i was gettign on my other account with purple pets...
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    There's a reason why companies don't generally accept outside help--especially at random on the internet. Not only are there legal ramifications...

There have been very successful companies dealing with that situation for decades now. Redhat anyone? The programming community is able to adapt when finding the solution is more important than finding an excuse.
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Can botters try stuff like this in the real game? Sure, but it's a lot harder. And it's a lot easier for us to fight them in-client. And we can and will keep fighting them in-client (note we will never win completely, but we will -- in fact we must -- always keep fighting them). But having to fight them on TWO fronts was not good. Ultimately, we want more of our resources to go to making the game itself better. Having an additional front in the (never-ending) war vs botters meant fewer resources for the game itself.

I understand why people here felt it had to go (in the end, I was reluctantly convinced myself). The bots that were hitting Gateway were thereby hitting the real game -- that's because the things Gateway does involve the real game. If you look at your gear, you're looking at your gear in the real game. If you do a profession task, you do it in the real game. If your companion gains XP, it gains it in the real game. That means botters were hitting the real game servers by hitting Gateway. This kept happening, then getting fixed, then happening again.

With this said, please hire some actual programmers.

It is not any more manageable in client than it is in browser. You know what else happens in both environments? You log in. Accounts can be managed, abuses monitored and outliers restricted. Every company on the internet has to deal with this type of behaviour on their servers in one way or another. Users that use too many resources need to be dealt with. Its not like this is some unique problem that only Neverwinter has ever experienced.

How many people here have pleaded just to have the gateway added to vip so they could pay for the ability to play with this 1 feature. ..and we know that is well within your capabilities because the external XMPP chat feature connecting games has been available to players that use NW + have SO gold membership for a while. So the mechanism already exists to modify server availability per your paid sub status.
  • seijidaseijida Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I really can't belive you did that.
    Yeah u want to stop otters and all.... but honestly for most of us it does just feel like u want even more of our money all while ruining the game.
    Prices did go WAY up in the last year I played all while the amounts of AD u earn from dungeons and stuff stayed the same. Wards got expensive, Enchantment stacks did, nowcompanion Gear goes through the celing. REALLY?
    And Zen store is way too expensive too by the way.
    Pople would NOT spend less money, if stuff was cheaper bzt would probably buy 3-4 mounts instead of 0-1. Would spend more money on Campaign completions so they can have more alts ompleted and all.... you just want more and more money of us I have the feeling... and If I was not leading a guild I would be gone already, that's for sure. SO disappointed by all the changes u do and all th stuff u do remove or make even harder to get...

This discussion has been closed.