What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "Rank 4 Mount" Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm fine with the speed upgrade for Legendary mounts - and honestly surprised it wasnt there from the first orange mount. The attack, though, bugs me - unless all mounts are going to be getting some sort of trinket effect.

The devs are adding what is essentially a bonus power slot for people with an AGS - so it makes sense that *all* players at least have access to such an effect (via their mount), not just the very (very) small number who will manage to get an AGS. And hey - if other effects are good, it may 1. spur mount sales and 2. get people to upgrade their mounts. One creates revenue for Cryptic (good), and the other is an AD sink (also good).
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If I get one I'll either trade it for another rank 4 mount, or sell it. I wouldn't ride that silly looking thing.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    well what i think would be fair is a token for like 700 zen to have both movement and upgraded 140%.
    No damage.
    i would be ok to do this for every char too.
    i say no damage and for every char because for now this new mount is lockboxes only

350k for an upgrade from 3 to 4, when the upgrade from 2-3 costs more than that already? Not going to happen. If there was an upgrade book, it will be 2m AD minimum, 4000 zen.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Making legendary mounts faster is not balanced unless they become as comparatively accessible as epic mounts have been (ie. you can get a basic one as an account unlock, as well as the fancier single-use ones). They've been fine as an "I just LOVE it"/"look how much money I have" mount tier that was strictly cosmetic.

Making something utilitarian that only a very small percentage of the player base can access is adding an unfair paywall. It's another way of making the game less alt-friendly.

Adding the option to upgrade any mount to legendary for AD doesn't strike me as good for players either. Mount upgrades are still appallingly expensive considering they're good for one character one time, even with the price reductions they've undergone.

I honestly find the use-in-combat ability a very minor consideration. It's cool, but not having it isn't a significant disadvantage, any more than not having a Tymora Coin or a Doohickey. It would be really neat to retroactively add such a feature to any mount, but you have to keep in mind it would also require animating them all.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They may make a legendary mount available in zen store, but it is just as likely going to remain a lockbox only thing. Someone is licking their chops and rubbing grubby little hands together at the fantasies of increased zen sales. When the orange mounts were just a means for others to show off, I could care less. However, if they are going to increase speed, add a stat bonus, and give it an attack, then I must object. If they retroactively add features on existing mounts, that is better, but I still have to think that those of us that purchased packs or other mounts, just like any existing customer, are getting the short stick.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Oh lawsy I forgot about the movement speed on top of all that. Sigh.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Making legendary mounts faster is not balanced unless they become as comparatively accessible as epic mounts have been (ie. you can get a basic one as an account unlock, as well as the fancier single-use ones). They've been fine as an "I just LOVE it"/"look how much money I have" mount tier that was strictly cosmetic.

Making something utilitarian that only a very small percentage of the player base can access is adding an unfair paywall. It's another way of making the game less alt-friendly.

Adding the option to upgrade any mount to legendary for AD doesn't strike me as good for players either. Mount upgrades are still appallingly expensive considering they're good for one character one time, even with the price reductions they've undergone.

Exactly this.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I can see this being added to the grouping requirements. "...and LAS only." Just another reason to kick other players.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    That actually drops from a chest that was accidentally released early. There are a few people in my guild who have a couple of them. O'siris has 2 that I am not sure of where or when he got them.

The doorway was shut quickly... this may not be something that will come out for a bit. The most telling piece is the attack mode.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dfnce wrote: »
    In Star Wars 5 they called very similarly looking mounts "tauntaun" ...

It cant be a Tauntaun unless you can use one like a sleeping bag.
  • Options
    ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I was going to buy a Tenser's Floating Disc near the end of mod 5. Glad I didn't now.

I did trade 4 of the new lock boxes for a Greater Mark of Potency :)
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    350k for an upgrade from 3 to 4, when the upgrade from 2-3 costs more than that already? Not going to happen. If there was an upgrade book, it will be 2m AD minimum, 4000 zen.

...absolutely.

Seems Cryptic has decided to squeeze every last coin from the (heuristically assumed) 20% of customers that contribute 80% of their income...
  • Options
    kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I can see this being a huge problem for a lot of people. A mount that gives a stat bonus or has an attack? Both of those are enough to easily set this mount apart from any other mount .... but the 140% movement speed makes all other mounts obsolete.

While I am sure Cryptic will also put out some rank 4 upgrade kits ... and some rank 4 zen mounts, this pretty much means the entire player base will now need to upgrade their mounts to stay competitive in things like PvP ... Dragon runs .... IWD farming. I'm all for gear upgrades and new and better gear coming out for players to earn in game. Mounts have always been a cash item for the top tier mounts. They either came in the zen store or they come from a lockbox. The in game upgrade options (The mount training books) are so expensive as to be out of the reach of most players. Rank 4 mounts means everyone is either buying a new lockbox mount ... or a new zen mount .. or sinking in a lot of astral diamonds to buy an upgrade tome.

This move will be a windfall for Cryptic ... I can guarantee that. Mount sales and lockbox keys will skyrocket as everyone tries to get the new mounts ... but in the end, there is going to be a very large portion of the player base who won't be able to or want to sing in the amount of cash needed to keep up ... and eventually they will become disenfranchised and drift off to other games.

Will I buy one? Probably ...

But only because I will need one eventually just to keep up with everyone else who has one ...

The players don't need 140% mounts. if you are going to go this route, at least make some kind of reasonable upgrade path for those who already have rank 3 mounts. The potential damage you will do to the game if everyone thinks they need a new 5000 zen mount to stay competitive could be severe ...
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Have to agree with Winter...

This is a just a kick in the teeth to everyone who is still struggling just to keep up with all the changes from Mod 6... most of which is still broken. Yet they are going to release something like this?

A 140% speed mount... not to mention one that can do damage is just pointless. It will be the ultimate and in many cases the insurmountable barrier between those who "Pay to Win" and those who "Play to Win".

The developers REALLY need to rethink this.

Oh.. and not to mention the clear advantage this gives anyone who PvPs. A 140% mount.. especially a whole team of them guarantees getting to the nodes first... and decides the match just based on how much MORE money people are willing to spend.

This is going to drive more people away... than it will attract.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My issue is that my tastes tend to vary over time. As such, and due to the limited bag space, I will simply discard one mount in favor of another I feel like using. If I would lose any upgrade applied, by discarding a mount I've upgraded, then I am not going to go that route. For instance, I picked up the gelatinous cube and ghost horse mounts, but never use them, because they're not the fastest, and I don't always want to use them...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The design of the mount is just too ugly, I am not gonna feel good even if it runs at 140%... :(
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    2. so not DnD to ride a dinosaur...

NWN2: Storm of Zehir would like a word with you. As do a bunch of monsterbooks.
  • Options
    equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    k3ll0 wrote: »

Agreed. Dinosaurs do exist in d&d forgotten realms. I called mine "Rex" lol
    Jurassic World is upon us hehe
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • Options
    araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I do not find this mount ugly. btw ...Liking the Jurrasic Park reference... XD
    For me it depends if it will be worth having or not, since we all know he will be first of many to come.
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    krisein wrote: »
    a hybrid between an ostrich and kangaroo, with a dino tail

Agreed, not really giant for a dino. For a chicken yes, that's giant size.
    Thanks Lazalia, always there when there is something super-expensive to show.
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    k3ll0 wrote: »

That was the worst expansion of all NwN series.
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nice mount but i want this one:

mount.png
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    chroococcichroococci Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    karakla1 wrote: »
    nice mount but i want this one:

We had earth and we will have fire. Nobody knows what the next lockbox holds. Suggestions?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    That was the worst expansion of all NwN series.

Irrelevant since it was brought up solely for the milieu of the opening act. Which As You Know is PnP canon.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    lewel555 wrote: »
    Agreed, not really giant for a dino. For a chicken yes, that's giant size.

You do realise most dinosaurs were small right.
  • Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lewel555 wrote: »
    Thanks Lazalia, always there when there is something super-expensive to show.

Who else can do this without spending ZENs? Only Lazalia can do this. Impressing.

Anyway:
    I dont like the idea to bring my mount into a fight. Wot will be next? Fighting on a mount? Well...i guess we all know that there is a game where you can fight on a mount. I dont like this game so i dont like the idea with a fighting mount.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    spideymt wrote: »
    Fighting on a mount?

I would be both quite impressed and highly surprised if they managed to wrangle the engine into that.
    I also expect it'd be a downright pitiful experience and lead me to playing much more Mount & Blade for good mounted combat.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I find it pathetic that, practically, the best mount in the game comes from a lockbox.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    zephyrpillar1zephyrpillar1 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    khimera906 wrote: »
    I find it pathetic that, practically, the best mount in the game comes from a lockbox.

I think that is exactly how it should be. Just like the plague fire and barkshield enchantments should be the best also. Having it only available from a lockbox gives it an exotic quality that should only come from a random drop. What I hope is that they consider all the previous legendary mounts with the next module and make retroactive upgrades to them. Seems only fair.