test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Update: Trove of Elemental Evil Email Code

Comments

• mekolsmekols Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree that people who abuse the system should be banned from playing. I miss out on an item because other abuse the system. The truth is someone is always going to try to abuse the system. To keep people from trying or doing so, is to create a set of rules and abide by them when people abuse the system. Ban them, not allowed to play the game for 3 months to a year. Something to make people to think twice.

so they should ban, players, only because you missed the code?
  • samohtsirrom1samohtsirrom1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Find out who it was that was abusing the gift (by creating multiple accounts and so on, tracking them Via IP address) and Ban the Lot of them from ever playing again... Problem Solved.
    Hi Neverwinter Community,

Yesterday, our team distributed an email commemorating the launch of Neverwinter: Elemental Evil. Within the email was a code redeemable for an in-game item titled The Trove of Elemental Evil, which offers players a chance to win several in-game items including elemental companions. At the time, we distributed one code, which would be redeemable by all players until May 1, 2015.

Once the code was distributed, we saw a larger amount of players redeem the code. Unfortunately, the code was easily exploitable as the in-game item did not bind to the account and were re-sold via the Auction House. In addition to re-selling the item, we saw several instances where players created additional Arc accounts to continuously redeem the code. With the entire situation in mind, our team decided to disable the codes.

Our team is actively investigating how we can either revive or replace this campaign. Our desire was to send a fun and compelling gift to our players going into the a weekend of Neverwinter adventures. We still want to do good by this as rewarding our dedicated fans is important to us. Stay tuned for more information as we investigate both of the situation and solutions.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They (Cryptic/PWE) had to kill it because suckyheadjerkface players were exploiting the offer and the prizes.
    I would't be too concerned; they'll find another way to send out new prizes (or the same prizes via a new way). Just be patient.
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is no mistake. It was intended as a one time gift, anyone who claimed it with different accounts to send it to their main account had to know they are doing something wrong. You aren't even supposed to have that many accounts, much less sending items or currency between them. And it should be easy to track, just this morning I still saw people who offered 5 or 10 of the troves on the auction house. These are not "legit players"...
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To keep people from trying or doing so, is to create a set of rules and abide by them when people abuse the system.

Best way is to create a system that's not obscure but public and can therefore prooven to be not abusable.
  • marc4lifemarc4life Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    araflin wrote: »
    Solutions appear easy.

Roll back. All exploiters do not gain, all exploited buyers do not loose - well, do not loose more than anyone else who put time in over a weekend playing.

I'd go for the second option. Everyone looses a bit, the folks who exploited your obvious loophole get nothing, everyone is grumpy for a while but maybe you learned something. ;)

Just my 2p.. I probably won't read the comments 'cos usually it's obnoxious flames.

I agree that this is the best solution. Everyone only loses a little time put into the game and those that "exploited" would not benefit anything. As for exploiters, something someone said in the forum make a lot of sense. Not everyone involved in this are exploiters. If I got an unbound gift that is of no use to me, I probably would have sold it if not bound. Not for any malicious reasons, but to make a little AD to put towards upgrading enchantments etc... (Oghma only knows I could use the AD)

My 2 cents.
  • yetweallfalldownyetweallfalldown Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Jumping into this thread again after initially posting the update yesterday. We appreciate the level of feedback coming in from the community right now. Although we are still in the investigating phase, I wanted to say that your feedback is being listened to and we're planning on going through all this when we work on next steps.
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
  • pyrogt66pyrogt66 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hi Neverwinter Community,

Yesterday, our team distributed an email commemorating the launch of Neverwinter: Elemental Evil. Within the email was a code redeemable for an in-game item titled The Trove of Elemental Evil, which offers players a chance to win several in-game items including elemental companions. At the time, we distributed one code, which would be redeemable by all players until May 1, 2015.

Once the code was distributed, we saw a larger amount of players redeem the code. Unfortunately, the code was easily exploitable as the in-game item did not bind to the account and were re-sold via the Auction House. In addition to re-selling the item, we saw several instances where players created additional Arc accounts to continuously redeem the code. With the entire situation in mind, our team decided to disable the codes.

Our team is actively investigating how we can either revive or replace this campaign. Our desire was to send a fun and compelling gift to our players going into the a weekend of Neverwinter adventures. We still want to do good by this as rewarding our dedicated fans is important to us. Stay tuned for more information as we investigate both of the situation and solutions.

The few ruin it for all. That's sad, I was psyched to redeem the gift.
  • msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I also got the code and was unable to redeem it. It sucks that the players continuously get punished for the action of the exploiters. However, I'm glad such swift action was taken to shut it down and I look forward to whatever solution you have to reward the players
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • veerwingveerwing Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cryptic Staff,

I don't understand why they just don't make the code redeemable and that you have to collect it from the "Gift Vendor" in PE? Those are all BTA and it would be much easier to maintain on someone's account (and not duplicate and sell in the Auction House) versus this fiasco... Come on, the "Renegade Illusionist" redemption is awesome, please use the same method and then this crisis will be averted.

Regards,

Veerwing
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just remove any box from the auctionhouse, since it's "unwanted", the box can be deleted as well.
    Issue a new code with a gift for every character and keep the loot account bound.
    Problem solved.

And while you're at it, it would be great, if we could get a editable spam filter, to have a working tool against the goldsellers flooding the chat every minutes with new accounts...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • keppoch1keppoch1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. We're definitely looking into the discussions from the community and are looking for ways to remedy it.

Can you make it an account unlock and bound to character? This way, no one can trade it and the freebie can be claimed by all characters on an account.

I did receive the email, but did not see it until after the code was disabled.
    edited April 2015
    keppoch1 wrote: »
    Can you make it an account unlock and bound to character? This way, no one can trade it and the freebie can be claimed by all characters on an account.

best thing, i read all day,

its not really the players fault this was in the game, okay sure some people made some ´Quick AD, but still, not Worth banning people for, thats my personal opinion, rollback is the best solution, and a code that work just like Renegade Illusionist one
  • sinafaydovrinnsinafaydovrinn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is quite upsetting that a few selfish jerks ruined this for the rest of us. Since the codes no longer work, I have an idea. You know how during the Winter Festival, everyone got a free gift bag from the Zen Market with a voucher? Why not do something similar and make the gifts bound to the account? This way no one can sell the items, but they can move the items around to their different characters to find the best fit.
  • neilburtonneilburton Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's really too bad about the jerks that keep exploiting things in this game and ruining it for the rest of us. Looking forward to being able to claim this gift.
    IT Guru & avid gamer since 1981
  • dionkiritodionkirito Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But you didn't even give me a chance to "exploit" it since I haven't got the email :confused:
  • timmytoes37timmytoes37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was at work and had to wait til i got home to try it... i rushed home and ran to my computer... so disappointing... fix it up and you have my continued devotion.
    edited April 2015
    regenerde wrote: »
    And while you're at it, it would be great, if we could get a editable spam filter, to have a working tool against the goldsellers flooding the chat every minutes with new accounts...

I completely dont understand this, i could code a simple routine in almost any language (c++, perl, java, …) that would simply check the string on server-side before posting into channel and flag it appropriate. I'd let the spammer think his offer has been posted by just posting at his log and no one else would see it. i wouldnt even need regex for that, you just have to look for certain chars occuring in their special order with some certain nonalphas in between. Its a simple replace numbers and alpha-looking nonalphas with their alpha, remove whitespace and placeholders like _ and a table-check. And once a new site has been setup, you update the table. ITS SO SIMPLE!!
  • alldrick1alldrick1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Every other MMORPG that I have ever played any player exploiting an in game item or situation is kicked from the game.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    > Get email with code while out
    > Not able to get on computer with Arc until next day, was not in hurry because May 1st is a ways away
    > mfw expired: ಠ_ಠ
    > Check forum
    > Another exploit where some people got very rich and honest people who weren't lightning fast don't even get whatever the gift was for themselves.
    > Shake head, sigh, typical
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • brandrikbrandrik Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    anotdroit wrote: »
    May be I am missing something here, how does some people trading the rewards affect the gameplay for others? Although the problem can be solved easily by binding the items, let those who trade, trade. Let those who don't, play as it is...

I think the problem was trading the exploited items further messes up the already messed up AD/economy problems in game. I'm guessing ARC may have contributed to underwriting the promotion to use their client although I thought I read some say they got it through Steam also, that's why the promo code rather than in game mail, I'm guessing.
  • snafu1971snafu1971 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    regenerde wrote: »
    Just remove any box from the auctionhouse, since it's "unwanted", i can be deleted as well.
    Issue a new code with a gift for every character and keep the loot account bound.
    Problem solved.

I just report such emails. as most games say, the only way to get gold should be through the website.
  • stokiebabestokiebabe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am really annoyed about this, a dejavu episode of people exploiting and ruining opportunities for others, I hope you fix this, the gift looked awesome, i look forward to your next email
  • brandrikbrandrik Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think one simple solution would be to make promotional items unique (not obtainable by ANY other means) then flag them unsellable. That way no one gets something they already have and it cannot be sold so it is not worth exploiting.
    edited April 2015
    brandrik wrote: »
    I think one simple solution would be to make promotional items unique (not obtainable by ANY other means) then flag them unsellable. That way no one gets something they already have and it cannot be sold so it is not worth exploiting.

yes this is 100% true, and just make it a new companion, that you can use on all character
    edited April 2015
    brandrik wrote: »
    I think one simple solution would be to make promotional items unique

There are no true unique Items in this game. A unique item is an item that exists just ONCE and can only drop if its previous instance has been salvaged or discarded it. Would be a nice feature, some items between legendary and mythic (in quality, not in rarity) that simply have surprising stats and are bound to account on pickup.
  • xreverusxxreverusx Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i hope those people that abused the code will be punished...

This is just one more things pushing me away from the game...
    :mad:
    I agree! There was a nice market for crafted Paladin items. That was JUST DESTROYED... people who exploit by way of making multiple accounts should darn well be banned, permanently. I think it is an inexcusable action and guarantee that
    those same people are responsible for other malicious activity. Just a hunch.

-Liela Selonas

P.S. - Demonmonger, you still have my name in blood! I want the secret to the universe! lol
    edited April 2015
    xreverusx wrote: »
    :mad:
    I agree! There was a nice market for crafted Paladin items. That was JUST DESTROYED... people who exploit by way of making multiple accounts should darn well be banned, permanently. I think it is an inexcusable action and guarantee that
    those same people are responsible for other malicious activity. Just a hunch.

-Liela Selonas

P.S. - Demonmonger, you still have my name in blood! I want the secret to the universe! lol

so you want people to get perm banned, only because this item you did was DESTROYED?
    sure it sucks people exploite this, but i dont Think a perm bad will do any good, a warning maybe?
    and the code was removed in like 1-3h? so how many could actully exploite this?
  • shadowrj90shadowrj90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i hope those people that abused the code will be punished...

This is just one more things pushing me away from the game...

no matter what game you play there is always going to be those who think cheating ect. is the way to go dont let them spoil it for you
  • nekkinekki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lame... just lame.. first my tricorn which i unlocked in beta quits spawning with new characters and now stuff like this.. seriously.. lame
This discussion has been closed.