Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter crashes: Fatal Error Direct 3D driver returned error code

Comments

• Options
    akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015

To all the people getting this issue:

Can you make sure that all of your graphical card's drivers are up to date? If that doesn't fix it, can you provide a dxdiag that we can send to our devs so they can better identify what's going on?

To create a dxdiag log:
    1. Open the DirectX Diagnostic tool
    * Windows 8.1
    a. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap "Search"; or point your mouse to the upper-right corner of your screen, move the mouse pointer down, click "Search"
    b. Type "dxdiag" (without quotation marks), and then tap or click "dxdiag"
    * Windows Vista/7
    a. Click the Windows "Start" button.
    b. Type "dxdiag" or "dxdiag.exe" (without quotation marks) in the search box.
    c. Select "dxdiag" or "dxdiag.exe".
    * Windows XP
    a. Click the Windows "Start" button.
    b. Click "Run".
    c. Type "dxdiag" (without quotation marks) in the Run window then press "Enter".
    2. Click on "Save All Information as a text file" and save it on your desktop.
    3. Additionally, if you have a 64bit system, please click on the "64bit Dxdiag/DirectX" button to save the correct log file.

• Options
    swapilotswapilot Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Safe Mode worked for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Okay, typed to soon. Safe Mode worked and I played for a while and had to log out. Twice now I have tried to log in using Safe Mode and it goes through the 10-20 minute verfying process then gives me a play button. Hit play and back to the above sreens/notifications.
  • Options
    mavaticusmavaticus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Anyone figure this BS out yet?
  • Options
    awdgvawdgv Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm using an AMD Graphics Card. Which is : ATI Radeon HD 5450. The game was fine before the patch came in rolling. It seems like i CAN'T get in to the character screen which is after the Cryptic loading followed by the material files loading then i get a crash
  • Options
    iceddziceddz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Same issue, clean driver install, didn't have issue before patch.
  • Options
    iceddziceddz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Still occurring, ever since patch.
  • Options
    nyteleenytelee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    iceddz wrote: »
    Same issue, clean driver install, didn't have issue before patch.
    Same here.
  • Options
    hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a possible solution (worked for me and a friend..)

We were both getting these same Crashes and Hangs for months, we tried many things (updated DirectX, Drivers, Full Windows Re-installs, new graphics cards, new processors, a new laptop too...).
    I tested Each and Every option in the Graphics Tab until I found:

*** TURN SHADOWS TO LOW. ***

This made all the hang ups cease.

Please try this and respond to the community if it works/doesn't for you.

Thanks
  • Options
    eritheyleritheyl Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hfleet wrote: »
    I have a possible solution (worked for me and a friend..)

We were both getting these same Crashes and Hangs for months, we tried many things (updated DirectX, Drivers, Full Windows Re-installs, new graphics cards, new processors, a new laptop too...).
    I tested Each and Every option in the Graphics Tab until I found:

*** TURN SHADOWS TO LOW. ***

This made all the hang ups cease.

Please try this and respond to the community if it works/doesn't for you.

Thanks

My shadows (and everything else) are already turned to low/minimum for the sake of performance. Besides, even if I wanted to change an option...the persisting problem is that we can't get into the game in -any- way.
  • Options
    bandoid1bandoid1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    johnnified wrote: »
    GurPKXq.jpg

Everytime I come out of an instance this happens, or 30 seconds after leaving an instance. Sometimes just walking around. Game crashes, my PC freezes up because of the crash. It is crazy. Why is this happening? This is totally stupid, it makes it so hard to play because of it.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz
    RAM: 16GB @ 1866MHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290x 4GB
    Storage: SSD 256GB + 2TB 7,200 RPM HDD (Game is on the SSD)

Pissing me off.

Yes, all my drivers are up to date.

This is my problem exactly. Almost exactly the same specs on my machine.

Here's a little more insight. This appears to be a problem with the R9 290 chipset. I have a different computer running an AMD 2.8 ghz quad core, with 12 megs of DDR3 Ram but an R9 290 (rather than a 290X -and for what it's worth different brands) and I'm getting the same problem. In fact, it's worse because it causes the game to crash and then if I try to run it again, it causes the computer to blue screen. In any case, both computers become less stable after this happens -and yes, this only happens in Neverwinter. All other games seem fine.

Developers, please fix this! I've given money to the game but this is very disruptive and frustrating and I'm disinclined to continue to play if this doesn't get resolved!

By the way, turning the lighting and shadow effects to low does seem to resolve the issue for me but I'm not crazy about giving up on the eye candy just to have the game work properly.
  • Options
    ninatheaxeninatheaxe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just posted this elsewhere which reminded me of this thread.

After mod 6 launched I suddenly started getting gameclient.exe crashes and Direct 3D errors.

Once I found I could login in safe mode I could play with settings. I went to the options-display tab and tried some different display card drivers (the top drop-down box - probably says "auto"). I had a choice of DirectX 9, 10 and 11 with a #1 and #2 variant of each. The first one to work for me was DirectX9 #1 so it will stay on that option until we hear more. Have a play. Maybe it will work for some of you too.
  • Options
    ehhhhhhwatehhhhhhwat Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2015
    Grrrr I been trying to start game for the past 2 hours trying pretty much any combination of launcher options :( no sucess...
    *Bashes head on the wall*
    T^T
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Somebody halp me Q_____________________________________________________Q
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Is this issue even having priority ?
    People are unable to play :(
    This thread has almost 25k view...
    C'MON :<
  • Options
    datura80datura80 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hi akromatic
    how do we get the dxdiag TXT file to you?
    where is the appropriate place in the forums?
  • Options
    datura80datura80 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    swapilot wrote: »
    Okay, typed to soon. Safe Mode worked and I played for a while and had to log out. Twice now I have tried to log in using Safe Mode and it goes through the 10-20 minute verfying process then gives me a play button. Hit play and back to the above sreens/notifications.

all of this is my experience as well. I am sorry mate, I hope they can find out what's bugging us out.
    My graphics driver is brand new fresh and game was working lovely fine last night before patch.
    starting in safe mode works for me, but again having to verify each time the game loads.
  • Options
    ninatheaxeninatheaxe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Go to the bugs section of the forum and read the Direct 3d post. Some ideas in there might give you a workaroud. Start with my post from earlier. It worked for me.

Edit:
    Linky:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?646001-Neverwinter-crashes-Fatal-Error-Direct-3D-driver-returned-error-code&p=10481161&viewfull=1#post10481161
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Seriously, still nothing?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Okay after 8 hours of googling , reviewing countless posts and attempting countless tries I found this posted in some old post by Sominator:

1. Run the Neverwinter launcher.
    2. Open the Options dialog.
    3. Add the following to the Advanced command line field: -d3d11Enable 0

So what I did to manage to get to character screen was:

I only had launch in safe mode option selected
    &
    Had this put into command line: -d3d11Enable 0

Hope it works for you guys to ^^
  • Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    datura80 wrote: »
    hi akromatic
    how do we get the dxdiag TXT file to you?
    where is the appropriate place in the forums?

Try attaching it to a support ticket on https://support.arcgames.com/app/home
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    ehhhhhhwat wrote: »
    Had this put into command line: -d3d11Enable 0

You beautiful child, come unto my bosom.

IT WORKS.
  • Options
    laurabloodfanglaurabloodfang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay so.. I don't know a thing about computers, I am currently re-installing Neverwinter AND Arc, for the 4th time. I have been getting the same error over and over again and when I hear other people can play it peeves me off. I want to create my paladin dammit. Please anyone, explain this to me, I don't know anything about computers.
    Sincerely thanks,
    Loraaga Spelloyal.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Okay so.. I don't know a thing about computers, I am currently re-installing Neverwinter AND Arc, for the 4th time. I have been getting the same error over and over again and when I hear other people can play it peeves me off. I want to create my paladin dammit. Please anyone, explain this to me, I don't know anything about computers.
    Sincerely thanks,
    Loraaga Spelloyal.

When you have launcher window there is options link top right hand of the screen , if you click that it will pop another menu.
    Scroll down a little you will see "Safe Mode" option under Game section make sure that is ticked.
    At the bottom of the same menu there will be command line you will have to copy paste this into it: -d3d11Enable 0
    Make sure you press save button afterwards.
    That's about it, you are good to start :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    All I know is all worked well Monday night. Today, even the safe mode does not even work. Sent in a ticket to customer support but no reply. I bet they are busy. I understand some glitches, but this is well beyond that.
  • Options
    richienah2015richienah2015 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ive been playing always and since the new update came out 2 comps stopped working on neverwinter and i never had trouble with it at all it always worked fine and smooth for me plzz neverwinter fix this i hope its a cryptic error =/
  • Options
    richienah2015richienah2015 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hope it gets fixed =/ so i can play again
  • Options
    roknorr1roknorr1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This fix worked for me:

1.Locate the GamePrefs.pref file in the game installation folder
    2.Delete the GamePrefs.pref file
    3.Restart the game

Example: For Neverwinter the file can be found in the \Neverwinter_en\localdata folder.
  • Options
    ryderstromeryderstrome Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tried the Safe Mode method with the code and was able to launch the game. Everything worked fine, but the graphics were incredibly fuzzy in gameplay, yet strangely fine on my character sheet. Is this normal in Safe Mode? Or is there another solution I should be trying?
  • Options
    tamipaladintamipaladin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I had trouble loading after the patch but was finally able to get it to work. I have no clue how that happened. But now that it's working I have no sound in the game? Any ideas?