test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some people seem to have a problem...

methecsgodmethecsgod Member Posts: 163 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
...with common sense. An epic mark is still an epic, it requires a Greed roll. 3 Marks of Potency in 1 day, that's 300k of my AD that some thiefs got.
Post edited by methecsgod on

Comments

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    methecsgod wrote: »
    ...with common sense. An epic mark is still an epic, it requires a Greed roll. 3 Marks of Potency in 1 day, that's 300k of my AD that some thiefs got.

No, you gave it away, everybody can need on it so just hit need... I never liked "all greed" PUG runs for this reason, someone was always tempted to steal when something good finally dropped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Common sense would be to all need it to prevent people ninjaing it. But yes it can be annoying when there's different standards people follow. With better roll setting this could be solved but oh well. Even in my own guild we used to need fragments, then after not running it for a long while since it had junk i was like woot I won a fragment, oh wait everyone else greeded...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You are both incorrect, of course. The common sense is to follow the rule. Everybody can steal, it doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ah, those need/greed rules.

First of all: Common sense does not apply. The need/gred rules have evolved over time as a common understanding in the community that this is how we do it. Getting the whole community to agree to new rules is sort of hard, so the rules stay even if they make little sense.

So this is the rules as I perceive them:
    * All marks and enchants -> need
    * All purple gear -> greed (even if you actually need it.. currently nobody really need stuff since it is so cheap on AH)
    * All blue stuff -> need

Not very consistent.. but this is how it seems to work.

We will probably see adjustments to the purple rule in mod 6 when people will actually need purple drops again, probably will accept need on purples you actually need then?

Needing on all is not a good rule, since people should be able to need on stuff they will wear, and get it over people that will salvage or sell.

When in doubt: Discuss loot rules up front, or delay your roll to see how people roll.
  • Options
    discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Every greed run I've done somebody taps that need button at least once, and it always just so happens to be on an epic whatzeehoozit. They never make that "mistake" on green rings or whatever <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> no one wants. (Also I've been on runs where one person quite literally got almost all of the rolls. Not a a snowball's chance of being luck or skill.) Cheating abounds, especially among random groups of gamers. Everyone should just need on everything they can need on, greed or pass when they can't. Save the greed agreements for people you trust to play fairly. Everyone else it's safer to assume is out for themselves.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Always watch the loot rolls especially for class items, make sure those that can Need roll Greed first. And if they don't - just kick ruthlessly.
    str8slayer wrote: »
    I never liked "all greed" PUG runs for this reason, someone was always tempted to steal when something good finally dropped.
    That is a trick.
    It's either you run Greed runs and Need in the end ignoring everyone or keep your word and roll the loot the way the party agreed.
    After all, you're only guilty before yourself for being low and two faced.
  • Options
    mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In my experience Greed runs still mean than anyone will Need on items such as rings, belts, neck items, enchants and other ref. stones - or in other words, the items for which everyone has a Need option available (e.g. in Tuern or Lostmauth people will nearly always choose Need on, say, artefact belts or barbaric rings and GMoPs)
    Then again I always Greed on everything else, including blue equipment items (tho I don't expect others to do the same)
    90% of the loot isn't worth more than anything I can by off the Drake seal merch in PE for salvage anyway
  • Options
    trouble#8887 trouble Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The greed run was invented for purple equipment witch not everyone can need. It is both stupid and against the initial purpose of the rule to greed a mark.
  • Options
    rcn808rcn808 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Changing "greed/need/pass" to "roll/pass" will solve these problems once and forever.
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rcn808 wrote: »
    Changing "greed/need/pass" to "roll/pass" will solve these problems once and forever.

that is, sadly, how it works in this game, and personally, I have never liked it. it was a huge culture shock for me when I started playing neverwinter and found people rolling need on everything, as I had gotten used to how it worked in another game where even when it did previously work like it does here (it works a little differently now), the prevailing wisdom was that need meant need and anything else was greed or pass. pretty much any time someone rolled need on something that was not an obvious need, they generally got kicked and blacklisted.

after coming here, well, I've gotten used to how it is here, and I don't bother calling people out on rolling need when they don't need something, since that's just how it works here. That being said, what I would love to see happen is that rolling need on anything will bind that item to character (along with a requisite warning/confirmation). period. full stop.

maybe then, need really will mean need and greed will get used as intended.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Greed only runs are for a-holes that want to make a profit at the expense of someone else who needs and can actually use an item. If you only agree to do "greed only runs" you are a worthless piece of human trash (IMHO). Period.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Greed means you greed on class restricted items and still need on everything else.

Sorry pal, you didn't got robbed.

There are several requests about the loot system and I agree it would help to avoid these kind of misconceptions.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Big words. Except noone uses PK loot, it's all for sale to newbies.
    eldarth wrote: »
    Greed only runs are for a-holes that want to make a profit at the expense of someone else who needs and can actually use an item. If you only agree to do "greed only runs" you are a worthless piece of human trash (IMHO). Period.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    No, if we agree to "roll Greed on epic items", it means everyone rolls Greed on purples. Period, full stop.

If you pick up items in the middle of the fight, don't expect me to jam my fingers trying to hit the correct button.
    loboguild wrote: »
    Greed means you greed on class restricted items and still need on everything else.

Sorry pal, you didn't got robbed.

There are several requests about the loot system and I agree it would help to avoid these kind of misconceptions.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    No, if we agree to "roll Greed on epic items", it means everyone rolls Greed on purples. Period, full stop.

If you pick up items in the middle of the fight, don't expect me to jam my fingers trying to hit the correct button.

^Erm, but the second part contradicts the first.
    You don't seem to actually know what you want, you are more like, how should I put it, butthurt?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    seven7y wrote: »
    ^Erm, but the second part contradicts the first.
    You don't seem to actually know what you want, you are more like, how should I put it, butthurt?

I guarantee that you need every item ever. Close your mouth and come back when you have something of substance to add.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I guarantee that you need every item ever. Close your mouth and come back when you have something of substance to add.

Wow, you must have a magic orb. You write like you presented something 'of substance', when you're only going on with assumptions and butthurt logic. I already explained in my first post that 'greed run' was invented for the 4 main set items + 2 weapons. Greeding a mark is stupid in all cases, since everyone can need, you are taking a risk for absolutely no reason or gain.

Edit: Taking a risk for no reason or gain is stupid universally, not just refered to neverwinter looting system.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Dude, you have already lost that fight. I also quite frequently get heat for needing BoP drops like Off-Hands and VT Armor or whatever in a "greed" run. That's as silly.

Pug meta has developed over several months now. Just greed on every BoE purple class-restricted stuff and need everything else.

After all that's also simpler than fighting a lost cause ingame and here.
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    First off, nothing in this game requires a greed roll. The game's system clearly puts need before greed. Any other agreement is optional and is not enforced. If you run your so-called greed runs with people you can't trust with that agreement, that's your own mistake. Don't PuG greed runs.

Xctly that. I wonder if such threads will ever stop.
    Its about agreement when running with ppl u somehow can trust, otherwise its all need (no rules respectively with threshold at green usually). And when i am the one who makes the pt i set the rule to all need anyway, its less complicated with less hassle, less disappointment and tis quite fair (again, unless i run with pt i somehow can trust and we agreed to greed or its a share-profit run, which is ofc almost impossible because only thing worth the time and sharing are artifacts, which again are too rare to drop).
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, that depends on the game. In Neverwinter the accepted rules are that people need on enchantments, marks, epic loot drops at the ends of dungeons and all things outside the norm, and greed on all other dungeon and skirming drops. But there are some groups that greed on everything. In STO you need on everything no matter what, everything, end of story. In CO people appear to be greeding on everything no matter what.

The fact of the matter is that it varies from group to group and person to person. I suggest that if your doing a ton of PUGs and feel it's a issue discuss it in group at the start.

Dont come on here and try to force your opinion on how things NEED to be done in Neverwinter on everybody else, because it's just not going to happen. I wont change the rules I follow cause you say so here. Not to be rude, but you telling of others how to play means nothing here.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    It's the game's way to ensure that normal players can actually get their gear. I suppose that up to a point they predicted this game would be overrun with AD farmers. Most of these people don't NEED AD, they want it. And gear improvement > AD gain. The system falls short on accomplishing the desired result, but that's why it's there.
    Devils advocate here. With the rp system it can be argued that the only real way to get gear improvement is ad gain.
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The need/greed system only works when playing with folks you trust. Most runs are going to have at least one player that you don't trust fully. That person will get the class specific drop at the end and will need on it and disappear. All the group's hard work gone poof with only on player able to get the reward. The abuse of this system since its inception should be enough to make cryptic rethink it. At least an option of turn off need in party for all class specific drops would keep all on parity WRT drop wins.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That's a little judgemental of you. Makes me question the supposed a-holes here. Nowadays it doesn't really matter, loot is all trash apart from the stuff everyone can need on, and to expect people to greed on a bop item is what I'd say is selfish. Other than that, who are you to judge those who prefer a certain set of rules? What I hate are people who expect handouts at the cost of the entire team. If the team agreed to it before hand then fine, otherwise you are selfish to steal valuable loot that was worth something for the whole team over farming for what you want that comes bound with a reasonable drop rate which a choice of which set in the case of t1/2 pieces.

I got gifted a stack of rank 5s once, and I just couldn't bring myself to use them so gave them to a guildie. That's how much I don't like accepting handouts. Of course selling them would have been rude.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Common sense would be to implement an optional system wherein people can only greed
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited February 2015

You sir, are a selfrightous person. Ask any low GS player, if he prefers to get the help of expirienced well equiped players, when they carry him to a victory at the 'cost' of having THE SAME chance of getting the loot as EVERYONE ELSE.

I did hundreds of Epic runs, when I allready had my gear to help other players. It is the choice of every player, if he wants to run greed runs or not. What expense are you talking about, when BIS players do/ take more dmg than the rest of a low GS group combined for the SAME chance at the loot roll as everyone else.

Everyone is entiteld to their own opinion, but the only reason I did not report your rude language is, that I have seen you contribute to the forums and hope, that this was just a bad day.

BTW epic gear is cheap as dirt and ppl use it just for RAD anyway, thangs to Tiamat.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    lazelllazell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rcn808 wrote: »

In many games that have shared loot (instead of individually assigned loot which bypasses this nonsense), I've wished for a "roll/pass" AND "reroll/pass" option. If anybody has not received a particular loot item previously, then they get a "roll/pass" option. If nobody chooses to roll, then everyone in the party gets a "reroll/pass" option.

That way, everyone has equal opportunity to get their achievement, and that opportunity supercedes grinding for loot.